Preparing a vaccine schedule - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

What's everyone doing as far as vaccines?  I'm kind of in the middle - won't do the AAP schedule but will likely vaccinate, probably fully or close to it.  

Just today I started looking over some of the delayed vaccine schedules out there and the few I've seen aren't a good fit for me so I may make my own.  

I also feel like maybe I need to know which brands and combination vaccines are used at DC's pediatrician's office so I can be prepared to deal with that issue.  

What's everyone else doing?  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you ARE going to vax Dr Sears books is interesting. It has a delayed/selective schedule. We don't vax personally as the ones I'd be most concerned about are almost non-existant now. I read more and refine my thinking every few years but we've never decided to vax.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#3 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 AM

lurk.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#4 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

we dont vax here at all anymore. it is a very personal and difficult choice

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#5 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 09:11 AM

We do selective vaxes.  I also recommend the Dr. Sears book.  It's pretty thorough about helping you understand each illness and each vaccine so you can weigh the risks for your own situation.  We don't use any of his schedules, but the information was really helpful for me with DD. 

#6 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 AM

We did delayed and selective vax for our daughter and plan to do the same with the new baby. We read the Dr. Sears book and as many articles as we could find and then went to our awesome holistic ped with this plan:

1. no vaccines until 3 months
  2. delay MMR until age 2, based on family history of reactions
  3. blood titer to determine need before doing a second HepB (many kids acheive immunity with just one)
  4. no varicella, as we'll try to get the pox for real (may vax if she hasn't had it by age 8-ish)

From there, we went with her recommendations for a schedule and what to prioritize or omit- she and several local peds don't do rotavirus at all b/c they believe the risks outweigh the benefits, and we put off Hep B until everything else had been covered because our kids are low risk (no family members with Hep). The first two shots we did (don't remember the specifics) were not combos, but once it was clear that our daughter tolerated those without problems, our ped recommended some combo shots because they actually contain less of the scary "extras" in total than separate shots would have.

We ended up doing MMR at 18 months because we wanted to avoid doing that during the winter when the likelyhood of cold/flu might make any vaccinations more difficult and it was fine- no reaction at all.

Based on our ped's recommendation, we also pre-treated with the homeopathic Thuja (Arbor Vitae) right before each vaccination, and for two days after.

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#7 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 AM

We don't vax at all so it's pretty simple for us. orngbiggrin.gif

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#8 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Yea, I'm thinking this part is easier for those who either don't vax or full vax on the AAP schedule.

I was a vaccine mess with DC - I was totally unprepared for the issue but there was also no way I was going to let my kid get a shot of some random acronym that I had never heard of.  We also moved overseas where there were different vaccines available and all kinds of confusion.  In the end, I was pretty happy with what we ended up doing with DC but we really made it up as we went along.  

I want to be a bit more prepared this time and think it will go smoother if I have an idea of what we want to do but I also know the doctor will have some opinions, which I will take into consideration.  Again, what the doctor normally offers vs. what we would need to have special ordered is also a concern.  

LaurenAnanas - I have noticed that the delayed vaccine schedules start quite a bit earlier than I expected them to.  Why did you choose to start at 3 months as opposed to 6 months or even a year?   Just curious.  

Puddle, what do you not vax for out of curiosity.  

#9 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

LaurenAnanas - I have noticed that the delayed vaccine schedules start quite a bit earlier than I expected them to.  Why did you choose to start at 3 months as opposed to 6 months or even a year?   Just curious.  

According to our research, the "blood brain barrier" isn't fully developed until 6 weeks, and we wanted to be well past that. Also, before 3 months fevers are riskier for infants and fevers are a common adverse reaction to several vaccines. In addition, we felt that having that time to learn and understand her normal would make it easier to identify any adverse reactions. So that's why we waited until then to start.

We didn't wait longer because DD was going to start part-time daycare in a small facility at 4 months. If I'd stayed home full time, or if she were going to a home daycare, we might have waited longer.

#10 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 01:15 PM

We vaxxed DS1 on schedule, but delayed DS2 until 3yo... unfortunately we've only taken him in for 2 vax appts so far. I'm kind of bad about that sort of thing. We'll be delaying most if not all vaxes until after 3 with this one, as well. I feel better about waiting that long because it gives their immune systems a chance to get that much stronger. We'll likely do most of the ones they can get at that point, including MMR.  Our family doc said that if they haven't shown signs of ASDs by 3, they are pretty safe and the vaxes won't affect them in that way (assuming there is a causative relationship there at all). No varicella though, I prefer them to get it naturally.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#11 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 01:51 PM

At her 2 month visit, I was overwhelmed and couldn't decide and ended up getting the full recommended regimen, minus rotavirus.  However, after that the Dr. Sears book came out and I felt more confident about declining them, and since then we've only done DTaP, Pc and HiB, and only one vax per appointment. 

#12 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

We selective/delayed vax too. DS actually still has only had one round of shots (he's 3 1/2) and I need to finish his schedule. I still need to work on a schedule for this baby. I refuse to vax until at least 6 mos and prefer to wait longer. I'm not sure when I'll start vax for this baby but sometime after a year, most likely after 2. I like to spread out the vax and some we just don't do. Another resource I'd suggest looking at is the CDC "catch up schedule". It is meant for babies that have fallen behind on the full AAP schedule but if you look at the notes on the chart it shows which vax are needed and how many of each depending on when they start the vax. The later some are started the less even the CDC suggests them getting. That's one thing I look at to lower the number of vax they get altogether.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#13 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Here's the CDC catchup schedule:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/catchup-schedule-pr.pdf

It shows how many of each vax is recommended by them. It also gives a time line for how long to wait between each vax and I found that helpful.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#14 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Wow! That looks enormously helpful! Thanks so much for posting that link. :D Part of the reason I've been dragging my feet getting DS2 caught up is not having a good idea of the timing and number of doses he needs of each one. Our doc hasn't been super helpful in that regard for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post

Here's the CDC catchup schedule:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/catchup-schedule-pr.pdf

It shows how many of each vax is recommended by them. It also gives a time line for how long to wait between each vax and I found that helpful.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#15 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 06:43 PM

We decline the hep B in the hospital. 

2 months Pentacel (Dtap, Polio, Hib) and Prevnar.  Decline the oral Rotavirus and hep B.

4 months same

6 months same

9 months none

12 months Prevnar, hep B

15 months Varicella, hep B

18 months Pentacel

24 months MMR, hep B

I have friends who do one shot a month from 2-7 months.  My schedule doesn't allow that.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#16 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 PM

We don't vax either. I just don't think God screwed up. LOL 

Sites like this one have also helped me in making my decision...  http://www.vaclib.org/

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#17 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 PM

We dont vax either...we Breastfeed for a very long time! We travel all over the world and have been 100% a-ok!

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#18 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 PM

We do our pediatrician's recommended schedule. (We're Kaiser members, so it's a little different from the AAP.) My older two kids are homeschooled, and so many of the families in our charter won't vaccinate at all that we are sure to stay on the schedule, plus I'll be restricting our homeschooling activities until she can be vaccinated against whooping cough. Where we are, whooping cough is in an epidemic, and I've had a friend who's had all three of her babies get it and be hospitalized.

#19 of 35 Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 PM

As of this moment, DD is unvaxed due to DH's bad reactions to vaxes (his ped almost 30 years ago told them not to vax him until later because of the reactions) and because she had dairy/soy/egg allergies (some of the vax cultures are grown in eggs). I'm not opposed to vaxing, but the only 2 I'd really consider would be rubella as a teen (because she is a girl and it can cause birth defects if she is not immune) and possibly tetanus. I'm undecided on whooping cough, because we just don't get out and are pretty low risk. I am not really considering vaxes until after age 3+, then I will reconsider. 

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#20 of 35 Old 03-16-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post

As of this moment, DD is unvaxed due to DH's bad reactions to vaxes (his ped almost 30 years ago told them not to vax him until later because of the reactions) and because she had dairy/soy/egg allergies (some of the vax cultures are grown in eggs). I'm not opposed to vaxing, but the only 2 I'd really consider would be rubella as a teen (because she is a girl and it can cause birth defects if she is not immune) and possibly tetanus. I'm undecided on whooping cough, because we just don't get out and are pretty low risk. I am not really considering vaxes until after age 3+, then I will reconsider. 

Only influenza is grown in egg culture.  My C has severe food allergies and we skip this vaccine for her.  The rest of the siblings do the nasal form which does get shed so she gets some immunity from them.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#21 of 35 Old 03-16-2011, 05:10 PM

We started vaccinating at 6 months. DD is now 26 months and has had the following; DTaP, Pc, Hib, and polio. New baby girl will also start around 6 months and we will begin with the same ones. According to DD's ped, she does not need anymore for quite sometime. She said to get the MMR between the ages of 4-6. That'll likely be the next one.

#22 of 35 Old 03-16-2011, 09:56 PM

I won't vax an exclusively bf baby. I was planning on selectively vaxing DS after 6 months but keep putting it off because I'm not comfortable with it. I have to follow my intuition on this one. I think I have settled on waiting until he reaches 50lbs to selectively vax. At that time I will also have to track down versions of each vax that were not developed using fetal cell lines. Right now DH and I have done the research and feel comfortable waiting. Although we might vax DS before we move in a year and a half. I'm torn on the issue.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#23 of 35 Old 03-17-2011, 06:31 AM

We fully vax based on the CDC schedule with the exception of:

No rotovirus and none of the vaccines for "high-risk" children like Hep A

No more than 2-3  vaccines at a time, only 1 if it is a combo vaccine like MMR. Obviously it depends on which they are supposed to get, but usually we have to do an extra shot visit for each well child visit.  We do all the Influenza shots though, every year, for everyone over 6 months old!

-Sarah

Sarah & Liz = Our 3 princesses: Riley (4/22/05), Teagan (4/15/08) and Finley (4/1/11)!!
#24 of 35 Old 03-19-2011, 04:37 PM

We followed a modified Dr. Sears schedule with DS.  I plan on doing the same for DD.  We skipped rotavirus, Hep B and Hep A.  DS got his MMR at 2 1/2.

puddle likes this.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#25 of 35 Old 03-20-2011, 04:56 AM

I am not comfortable with not vax'ing. we live in a high tourist area and I work in a large hospital and come into contact with lots of stuff. 

this is the 1st time I've really had to think about the schedule-  we used a pediatrician who had her own schedule.  which is kind of similar to what a lot of you seem to do.  move the hepatitis to later, MMR later, etc. and she would encourage us NOT to do shots on various visits based on certain things.  (dd2 had mild eczema r/t milk allergy and she would NEVER do a vax during a flare up) she also only did 1-2 at a time EVER.    We switched to a different ped. who is actually a bit more open to alternative vax schedules but we have to tell him how we want to do it.  I'm guessing we will kind of follow the Dr. Sears schedule.  I am pretty sure it will be nothing at all for 3 months and then 1 at a time for a while and then 1-2 at a time and eventually he will be caught up.  My girls were (and will be) essentially vax'd by kindergarten,  it just took us the whole 5 years to get them there. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#26 of 35 Old 03-22-2011, 05:21 AM

Just wondering for those with a delayed vax schedule - How did that work out for daycares? I tried skipping a vax with DD and she basically got kicked out of her daycare, but it didn't matter because I took the semester off from school.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#27 of 35 Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

in MA we have a religious exemption. I just filled out a letter stating that I chose not to vaccinate based on our belief 

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#28 of 35 Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsberman View Post

Just wondering for those with a delayed vax schedule - How did that work out for daycares? I tried skipping a vax with DD and she basically got kicked out of her daycare, but it didn't matter because I took the semester off from school.

I found that in both CA and MD the delayed vax thing is a bit tricky.  CA has philosophical exemption and even there they were a bit picky about delayed/selective vax.  If I were in the position of needing an exemption again I would just go into the thing saying we don't vax at all and leave the whole selective/delayed thing out of it (unless it was a medical exemption, which is a whole different thing).  

ETA: It would also vary greatly by which school/care provider you pick.  DC's private pre-K didn't bat an eye at the exemption form and no one gave me a hard time about delayed/selective vax.  In part, I think, to the fact that A LOT of parents in the school were doing the same thing.  

Public school, OTOH, gave me a pretty hard time with selective/delayed vax.  At first they tried to tell me that the philosophical exemption was only for people who didn't vax at all.  It was a hassle.  

MD only has only medical and religious but they don't ask your religion.  

#29 of 35 Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsberman View Post

I expect it depends on your State and your daycare provider and your pediatrician.

Our ped offered to write a letter explaining the medical needs for our delayed schedule for our provider, but they really don't seem to care. We give them an updated form when DD gets a shot, and they just stick it in her file. They've never said a word about it other than "thanks!" I was prepared to sign a waiver for a religious exemption, as allowed in Maryland, but it hasn't been an issue. 

#30 of 35 Old 03-22-2011, 11:34 AM

Hmm... I tried to do a religious exemption (only option besides medical in RI) and got slack from the nurse and Health Department. I was told I needed to be Christian Science for it to work and I know they can't question my religion. I just said whatever, we won't be back. At the time I asked for help in my Tribe, but no one had any answers that would work. Now we're moving to VA in a couple of months so I'll have to research the regulations for the state. Because DH is military and we're not near family, daycare is our only option for childcare. We can't afford a nanny at $20/hour for one kid while I'm finishing school.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page