When did your baby drop? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

My MW is pretty into fetal positioning.  She commented last visit (35 weeks) that the baby was up pretty high and that got me wondering when this baby should drop.  I don't even remember being aware of the concept with DD #1 (no internet, MW didn't really talk more than "breach / head down").  

So, I'm wondering when you baby(ies) dropped, how you knew, how it felt and etc.  Thanks!!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i don't ever remember having a noticeable 'drop' with either of the girls.  I haven't with this one either.  I have a pretty long torso and everyone always says I carry high.  But I think I just carry the way I do because of my body type.  I know that this ones head is actually pretty low in the pelvis.  They say that with baby #2, 3, etc. you may not feel a noticeable drop until labor. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#3 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 08:15 AM

Baby never dropped with either DS or DD.  They both engaged while I am in active labor with them.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#4 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrizia View Post

Baby never dropped with either DS or DD.  They both engaged while I am in active labor with them.

Same for me.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#5 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 01:28 PM

i didnt noticed a drop with baby #4 nor have i noticed anything with this baby....however i am very uncomfortable the past few days and feel something is different....but i dont know what that something is! :)

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#6 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Totally lurking but I read the second baby tends to drop at the last second before labour. So I wouldn't worry. DS was engaged at 35 weeks already. I was surprised. I had him at 39 weeks... and was surprised by that too. lol. But I fully expect the next baby not to drop so early.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#7 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 05:58 PM

I don't remember noticing the baby dropping with either of my others. What others have said is true, that second (and later) babies drop just before or during labor, where with first babies, the baby can drop as much as 2-4 weeks before birth. I've read in in a couple different places, and my hypnobirthing instructor just mentioned that today in class.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#8 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 06:08 PM

K I've been googling this lately and I think I've found a bit of an explanation. In a first pregnancy, the pelvic muscles are pretty tight, so once the baby starts to drop, those muscles actually kinda hold him there. In a second pregnancy the muscles are more flexible so the baby may drop but easily pop back up if he did....

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#9 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 07:48 PM

funny because I dropped early with my 1st and now with #2 he's already dropped - which I wasn't expecting so soon.  Given I'm like 3 days from term...so, may have an earlier babe...who knows!?

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#10 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 08:55 PM

DD1 dropped at like 32 weeks which was kind of scary but didn't end up coming until 42 weeks (huh? lol). DS didn't drop until after my water broke which was my first sign of labor (prematurely at 35 weeks). I hadn't even really thought about it with this baby until the other morning when I woke up and KNEW baby had dropped. I don't feel any different in my pelvis necessarily (although it always hurts due to SPD pain) but now the highest part of the baby can be felt just barely above my belly button whereas the weeks before I had baby parts all up in my ribs. Today my belly button is the highest point and I've been having lots of contractions. (but I also have the flu so I'm sure that is a big part of it). What's most frustrating about the "when the baby drops" thing is that it really means absolutely nothing. haha. Part of me wants to get excited since the baby has dropped and the other part of me says it could be several more weeks like with DD. Good luck to all of you at term!! Can't wait to hear more birth stories!

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
#11 of 11 Old 03-24-2011, 04:39 AM

I don't really know how to tell lol... I know baby is low, and every now and then get a bump on my cervix which just feels fantastic lol.  But everyone else keeps talking about how I "haven't dropped yet".  I'm not so sure though, the baby isn't squishing his head up against their cervix, and I carried this whole pregnancy really low.  I've always thought maternity sweatpants were such a dumb idea, but now all of my sweats are sitting extremely low... but at this point I absolutely refuse to buy maternity clothing.  I see my MW on tuesday, guess i'll find out babies position then... but at my last visit she had to reach down pretty low to feel his head.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page