36 +4 and still no name - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

<I love his name now and it really does suit him, but I hate how we came up with it... so impersonal and un-special.>

Hey, my parents couldn't agree on my name so they drew it from a hat!!  LOL!  My dad cheated however by putting his choice in twice when my mom wasn't looking 2whistle.gif kind of a funny little story I thought I'd share.  I'm glad he did too because I like his choice better than my moms, haha!

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
#32 of 45 Old 03-25-2011, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post

pavlov is starting to grow on me now that it's showing up in my subscriptions every day lol NOOOOO!!

ROTFLMAO.gif

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#33 of 45 Old 03-25-2011, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezykids View Post

that. 

I also try to keep with simple/common spellings.  My name (Kelli) was very popular when I was born and my mom wanted it to be different so they spelled it with an "i" instead of a "y" and I've spent my whole life correcting people about it.  Sometimes I just let it go because it's too much hassle when even people who know you can't get it right irked.gif So, I don't want my kids to go through that, it's annoying.  I know people want their kids to stand out but...just something to think about....

Oh i hear you on that, but for me it was having a name that is hard to pronounce and spell...I hate it! When we decided to name our younger son Atticus we considered that (even though names associated with To Kill a Mockinging Bird is apparently getting trendy), but I don't think it is hard to repeat or spell once you hear it, like my name is (see my signature). Anyhoo, the only two peopke who expressed any displeasure at the name Atticus were my parents, who hate each other and have not agreed on anythng in 35years since their divorce. They both think it's too u usual of a name. UmmmmmmHELLO McFly, you were the crazies who named ME!

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#34 of 45 Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 AM

<They both think it's too u usual of a name. UmmmmmmHELLO McFly, you were the crazies who named ME!>

Ugh..I know...my mom is always asking me how we're doing with names.  BTW...I like Atticus. 

We have an unusual name in our top 5...It's Aspyn Reese.  I joke that is our hippie name choice...just a bit worried if people would tease because the sound of the first part of the name.  Also...love Reese but the initials spell ARF altogether so we're seeing if something else might be a good middle instead.

#35 of 45 Old 03-29-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezykids View Post

<They both think it's too u usual of a name. UmmmmmmHELLO McFly, you were the crazies who named ME!>

Ugh..I know...my mom is always asking me how we're doing with names.  BTW...I like Atticus. 

We have an unusual name in our top 5...It's Aspyn Reese.  I joke that is our hippie name choice...just a bit worried if people would tease because the sound of the first part of the name.  Also...love Reese but the initials spell ARF altogether so we're seeing if something else might be a good middle instead.

Ohhh I like Aspyn.  I hadn't thought about your worry of the beginning sound, but in thinking of a nickname (we're into shortening names at my house, so for example Atticus is Atti) the nickname could be Aspie - hmmmm, not sure that's a road I'd want to travel down just because of the negative connotation, unfortunately.  But I think it all sounds lovely together.  Funny how you thought of the initials - My husband just informed me yesterday that he was thinking about a tattoo with our kids' first name initials, which as it turns out spells EAT.  Ya, he won't be getting that tattoo.

#36 of 45 Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 PM

LOL- Pavlovs, if we have a boy our kids' initials will be MAD. haha!

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
#37 of 45 Old 03-29-2011, 02:14 PM

initials are big for us. our son was NEW, so now i'm feeling pressure/constraints in trying to pick out decent initials for this baby. it's part of our whole hold up.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#38 of 45 Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 AM

My 13 year old dd recently pointed out the initials and reminded us hers are ELF and that she IS SHORT...so we should really reconsider... LOL

#39 of 45 Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

We're back to square 1.  I think Alexis just didn't take off because it didn't click for us in the long run.  We're back to DH throwing out names that he SERIOUSLY likes that I think are crazy...like Trixy.  He likes "y" endings and names with "x"s in them, which are both things that I'm not all that into.  I still like Alice but heard that there is an Alice in the Twilight series and that the name may get super popular.  

We've talked about Ruby and Lola and Lena but nothing all that serious.  I really like Leona Lucille but DH keeps thinking of Leona Helmsley, which I guess in this political climate is more negative than it may have felt a few years ago.  Sigh...

OH, and everyone in the extended family likes Stella.  I still can't shake the Street Car line and feel like I'm going to hear a joke about that far, far too often for my tastes.  

DH also has is names that he likes that I hate - Cala.  I love Nadine but he can't stand that one.  

Maybe we'll have a boy...

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#40 of 45 Old 03-30-2011, 04:08 PM

IdentityCrisisMama-

All of the names you guys like seem like ones my DH and I would like too. (as in similar taste) What we did which was really helpful was go to the social security website and look at the list of top 200 names by decade. We found that the 1910s-1930s were ones that we really liked. You could try that if you haven't already. :-) I just googled 1920s baby names and it came up with the SSA website. Good luck!!!

IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
#41 of 45 Old 03-30-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaRN View Post

Hahahaha! OMG too funny!

#42 of 45 Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

I'll check out the SSN site -- good tip!  

I felt a warm up contraction tonight, which got me rolling.  

We've got: 

Lola Alicia

Ruby Lucille 

Tamara Ray  

Feel free to weigh in.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#43 of 45 Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 PM

i love them all!!! my only hesitation would be with ruby - because i know soooo many 3-6 year olds named ruby right now. i don't know if it's a local/portland thing, or national, or what. i really love lola.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#44 of 45 Old 03-31-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaRN View Post

That's great!  Like Cheshire cat said, we're all a little MAD...haha!!

#45 of 45 Old 03-31-2011, 11:14 AM

ICMama...I love Ruby and Lola! 

We're kind of back to square one as well.  Went to the doc today...baby is fully in the pelvis..even though I'm having a repeat C/S...he said I could go anytime...better get a name, or at least two so when we meet the babe we can decide!

So, my c/s is scheduled on the same day as Will and Kate's royal wedding.  Which got me thinking we've always had Katelyn as a front runner.  Caitlin is the Irish version and both my kids are very much Irish (and French) so I'm thinking Caitlin Claire now.  DH likes Mia..but it's hugely popular right now...although this little one kicks like the famous Mia Hamm ;)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page