36 +4 and still no name - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is anyone else in this boat?  My husband and I kind of like one name we can agree on, and I'll be ok with it if we take that route, but we haven't found the "magic" name that we both adore.  We were about 2 weeks from birth with our younger son before we found a name we truly loved, so I guess this isn't new territory for us, but I feel like we've exhausted all lists without finding that one perfect name.  We've literally looked at thousands of names together, and there are names he loves and names I love, but we haven't found one in common.

I'm starting to feel like a bad mommy!

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 AM

Me! We have one main name we like and agree on, and a few others we like but don't seem to work for one reason or another. We also weren't certain on ds's name until a few days before he was born.

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
#3 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 11:04 AM

It was about 17 days AFTER DS was born that we decided on his name.  He left the hospital with a surname but nothing else.  LOL.  I knew what we would name DD when I was about 18 weeks pregnant with her.

This pregnancy nothing has really jumped out that we both agree on.I have a feeling that we'll be deciding on a name after the baby's born again but it doesn't bother me.

#4 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We are back to the drawing board with names. DH was "all or nothing" about the name he wanted and refuses to discuss names now. He's being really immature about it. Soooo, looks like this little one wont have a name until after we meet him. I do have some in mind though.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

#5 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

we have a boys name but no girls name now when before it was the other way around. my MIL calling weekly to tell me she hated our girls name is enough to turn anyones belly. ughh. but we are set for a boy

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#6 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm glad to know I'm in good company!  My brother was kind enough to call me the other day and let me know what we should name our daughter.  Very sweet of him. eyesroll.gif

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#7 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 01:55 PM

I'm here and I'm 39 weeks tomorrow!  We have a top contender, but I am still not sure if it is the right name.  We have a couple of other names we like, but that really don't feel like the right names.  It is kind of throwing me for a loop since we had DS1's name since before he was conceived and DD's name was settled 2+ months before she was born, though we did change it 10 days before her birth, but the backup name was always known and we knew it might need to be changed to that, so it wasn't a major deal.

I am hoping I know this ones name when I see him, since at the moment, I just don't feel like our top choice or any of our backups are quite right, and we've gone through 3 baby name books plus various other name sources.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#8 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 02:07 PM

I have not thought of names at all; been too overwhelmed with other things. I think we will have to name the baby after s/he arrives. We used the names we liked with our first two, and weren't planning to have more, nor did we have back-up names.

#9 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

37 weeks and no girl's name.  We've been set on a boy's name since before I was pregnant with this child and I thought we settled on a girl's but DH changed his mind.  We went through like a hundred names yesterday to no avail.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#10 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 06:16 PM

37w2d and no name for the little guy here.  I have a list of names we like, but there hasn't been one that was clearly 'it'.  We have never 100% named our kids before they were born, I guess I like to make sure it fits them, so this isn't too much worse than we usually are.  I do wish we had at least a top 2 or something, but what can you do?  At least he has a middle and last name!

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#11 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 PM

No name.  Not much of a 'shor list' either.  Our 3rd baby was named 2 weeks after he was born, and it was my fil who finally put his foot down.  I hated not knowing what to call him!

I like to have a list of names we both like, then chose after the baby is born. So far, (just like the last time) that isn't going so well.  My husband is also uncooperative.  It's so frusterating. He quickly vetoes my suggestions, and his suggestions are 'not' real names- as in, their random words he sees in front of him, or along the lines of 'Captain Fast'

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#12 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 04:19 AM

We finally narrowed our list down to the top 5 names.  We started with 30.  We're waiting till after she's born to decide on a name.  We did the same for my son and it worked out well. 

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#13 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 AM

Glad to know I'm not alone in this! We've tossed around a few but there's only one that we both really liked, and it's top ten right now, and I want to find something less common. It's tough because a lot of the names I love, DH has flat out vetoed. I definitely have more exotic taste than he does.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#14 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 10:30 AM

I'm due on saturday and still no name :( not even a hint of a name. i hate all names.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#15 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post

i hate all names.

ROTFLMAO.gif

#16 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 PM

Same here!! 37 weeks tomorrow and no name.  Not even a few possibilities!! I literally can't imagine naming my son any of the names I have seen/considered thus far.  Ugh...I'm waiting to have an amazing dream where the baby comes up to me and tells me his name! It could happen right?! :)

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#17 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 PM

I used to think that boys names were much harder to decide on, dh too, but now that we know we're having a girl we keep going around and around with names!  I checked off a few I like in the top 100 and made dh do so and we only agree on one name (which is our top runner).

With my dd, her name was the #1 name that year and I kind of regret that.  Ds has an unusual name though, in fact, I've only heard it once when I was at SEAWORLD of all places...another mom called her son it and I was shocked to hear it.  I wasn't too crazy about his name either lol.gif but now I love it and it is totally ds!  That was a compromise too.  With more bending on MY part.  Dh's can be difficult, though I don't think they mean to be.  So I have one kid with a popular name and one with a very unique name so I think something in the middle sounds good for this one. 

#18 of 45 Old 03-24-2011, 05:02 AM

No names here yet either.  At least with the girl names we have it narrowed down to 3...or maybe 4.

The boy name just hasn't hit us yet.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#19 of 45 Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 AM

We may have made a break through!  DH decided he likes Lex and I don't mind Alexis - Lex, Lexie for short.  BUT it's in the top 50 names, which I normally wouldn't consider.  I'm kind of surprised too because I only met one Alexis in the last 30 years.  Does that name seem "over" popular to any of you?  

#20 of 45 Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 AM

maybe it's popular now?

#21 of 45 Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 AM

I can't think of a single kid I knwo that is named Alexis.  I know one Alexa, but that is it. 

#22 of 45 Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 AM

I knew a Lexi, not sure what her full name was.  I have only heard Alexis once.  I've been asking my 8th grade dd what some of the girls names are in her school...LOL....

I like to avoid the top 50 names too...I think our main pick is 61?  (Claire) < which is a family name...my grandfather's middle name (who I adored) and so far, I haven't heard anyone with that name.  DH wasn't on board until I pointed out the hottie actress Rachel McAdams has played a Claire in two movies (wedding crashers and time travellers wife...cause he thinks she's sooooo pretty...which she is LOL...men!!)

#23 of 45 Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 AM

I don't know of any kids named Alexis.  And I haven't heard anyone at work name their baby that either and I see lots of people having babies!  Maybe its popular in another region.  I'm in Florida. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#24 of 45 Old 03-24-2011, 03:28 PM

I think we may have made a breakthrough also!! yay!!! We've had a boy's name set all pregnancy but the girl's name just keeps changing. We think we pick one we like and then I just don't like it. DH has been pretty flexible thankfully because I seem to have the OP's problem of looking for that "magic" name! With DD that's how it was. We were tossing around names for months and couldn't find any we were really sold on until all of a sudden it just hit me. I told DH- "I got it!!" I knew it was it right off the bat. When I said it out loud to him he goes "yep, that's it!" and we were done. It suits her perfectly (Melanie). With DS it wasn't anything like that and I hate that about his name. We made a list of names we both liked after looking on a bunch of websites. then we had round 1, round 2, etc. where at each round we crossed off our least favorite of the remaining. It got down to 2 names Deklan and Graham. We liked Deklan Graham better than Graham Deklan and that was it. :-/ I love his name now and it really does suit him, but I hate how we came up with it... so impersonal and un-special.

With this one I've been waiting for that magic name again. I have been hesitant to tell people our name choices online in case a bunch of people saw them and fell in love and then they became popular. haha (silly right?) I kind of don't care anymore though. I'm just too tired to worry about anything that doesn't really matter. So here goes:

Boy: Adrian Joseph

Girl: (as of right now): Jillian Mae

Other girls names we like are:

Olivia

Abigail

Adrienne

Lillian

Hayley

Rosemarie

April (which DH and I both really liked, until we realized it would be horrible with our middle name- a family name).... APRIL MAE haha.

Anyway, not sure if those names will help anyone but maybe they'll trigger a thought for another name or something. Good luck! It's so stressful to me to not have a name picked out. only 37 +3 here but that's close enough for me!

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
#25 of 45 Old 03-24-2011, 03:46 PM

We don't have names either.  We talekd about it months ago and nothing since then.  Something will come to us, sometime.  Probably afterwrd when we really realize we need a name .:lol

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#26 of 45 Old 03-24-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaRN View Post

I think we may have made a breakthrough also!! yay!!! We've had a boy's name set all pregnancy but the girl's name just keeps changing. We think we pick one we like and then I just don't like it. DH has been pretty flexible thankfully because I seem to have the OP's problem of looking for that "magic" name! With DD that's how it was. We were tossing around names for months and couldn't find any we were really sold on until all of a sudden it just hit me. I told DH- "I got it!!" I knew it was it right off the bat. When I said it out loud to him he goes "yep, that's it!" and we were done. It suits her perfectly (Melanie). With DS it wasn't anything like that and I hate that about his name. We made a list of names we both liked after looking on a bunch of websites. then we had round 1, round 2, etc. where at each round we crossed off our least favorite of the remaining. It got down to 2 names Deklan and Graham. We liked Deklan Graham better than Graham Deklan and that was it. :-/ I love his name now and it really does suit him, but I hate how we came up with it... so impersonal and un-special.

With this one I've been waiting for that magic name again. I have been hesitant to tell people our name choices online in case a bunch of people saw them and fell in love and then they became popular. haha (silly right?) I kind of don't care anymore though. I'm just too tired to worry about anything that doesn't really matter. So here goes:

Boy: Adrian Joseph

Girl: (as of right now): Jillian Mae

Other girls names we like are:

Olivia

Abigail

Adrienne

Lillian

Hayley

Rosemarie

April (which DH and I both really liked, until we realized it would be horrible with our middle name- a family name).... APRIL MAE haha.

Anyway, not sure if those names will help anyone but maybe they'll trigger a thought for another name or something. Good luck! It's so stressful to me to not have a name picked out. only 37 +3 here but that's close enough for me!

My girl name for the past two pgs was Lila, that would be pretty with your middle name  -- Lila Mae.

I'd love people to toss out some boy names for consideration, I am still waiting for that magic one!

#27 of 45 Old 03-24-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia105 View Post

My girl name for the past two pgs was Lila, that would be pretty with your middle name  -- Lila Mae.

I'd love people to toss out some boy names for consideration, I am still waiting for that magic one!

I really like the name Lila (or Leila) but my ex best friend (ex for GOOOOOOD reason!) was a Leila. So it's totally ruined for me. haha.

Our other boy names we liked were:

Abraham

Ethan

Noah

Avery

Travis

Jude

Elijah

Tucker (love this one but DH swears the rhyming word would kill it. haha!)

Chase

That's all I can remember that we tossed around. Good luck!!

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
#28 of 45 Old 03-24-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

We may have made a break through!  DH decided he likes Lex and I don't mind Alexis - Lex, Lexie for short.  BUT it's in the top 50 names, which I normally wouldn't consider.  I'm kind of surprised too because I only met one Alexis in the last 30 years.  Does that name seem "over" popular to any of you?  

No, it doesn't seem over-popular.  I am a middle school teacher, so I see lots and lots of names each year, and I've had a couple of Alexis' over the years, but not an abundance of them.

I think we've had a breakthrough as well - my husband told me he really likes the name that's been on the top of our list (wasn't sure if he just kind of liked it or really liked it) and I think I like it enough.  The whole name together has a nice ring to it, so I'm starting to call her that to see if it seems to fit.  So far so good. 

#29 of 45 Old 03-25-2011, 07:05 AM

pavlov is starting to grow on me now that it's showing up in my subscriptions every day lol NOOOOO!!

#30 of 45 Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 AM

One thing that has helped me is I know I definitely want a gender specific name.  That eliminates a bunch of names.  Both my dd and ds have gender specific names so I want this baby to follow that. 

I also try to keep with simple/common spellings.  My name (Kelli) was very popular when I was born and my mom wanted it to be different so they spelled it with an "i" instead of a "y" and I've spent my whole life correcting people about it.  Sometimes I just let it go because it's too much hassle when even people who know you can't get it right irked.gif So, I don't want my kids to go through that, it's annoying.  I know people want their kids to stand out but...just something to think about....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page