Acupuncture for inducing labor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-25-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I'll be 38 weeks Tuesday and though I know it is early to think about a natural induction but I'm thinking about trying acupuncture.  I wanted to see if anyone has tried it or has any stories to share.  With my first child I was induced by my midwife (OB practice) for "low fluid" at 40 weeks 2 days and I really just want a chance to do it on my own this time and have the whole experience.  I hated my induction and I don't want a repeat of it.  I feel like if I make it to 40 weeks again that they'll come up with a reason to induce again.

Thanks!

#2 of 8 Old 03-25-2011, 02:22 PM

My mid-wives recommend it as well as red raspberry leaf tea and evening primrose oil. I started the primrose oil today and lost my mucus plug. I'm skipping acupuncture but that's for budget reasons, can't afford it. My sister did do it with her 2nd babe. If you want to do it and have either insurance that will cover it or cash go for it! It certainly can't hurt.

:)

#3 of 8 Old 03-25-2011, 02:33 PM

Acupuncture is something I would do if I were facing a medical induction (or rcs) otherwise. Leading up to that time, I'd be using evening primrose oil (already am) and doing other things to prepare my body.

I think with any natural induction method, it won't work unless your body is already ready, but if it is pretty much ready, it could be the final "trick" to push your body into labor.

Are you seeing a chiropractor? There are things they can do to help your uterine ligaments be loose for the baby to drop well for labor, as well as having a straight pelvis for good alignment (for most people).

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#4 of 8 Old 03-25-2011, 07:57 PM

i used accupressure to speed labor with number 4. but like all the other natural methods it wont really "do" anything unless your baby and your body is ready. best of luck. my chiro is willing to do special adjustments for me next week 38 weeks to move things in the right direction

Annemarie~ married to super hubbysuperhero.gif  ~catholic mom of 4 boys(fencing.gif.17+14)..(ribbonjigsaw.gif.splat.gif7).(.blahblah.gif.5)..(Emmaangel3.gif) Grace Clotilde. 4/10/11 someone new 2/2013

An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog

#5 of 8 Old 03-25-2011, 08:13 PM

I had a friend recently get acupuncture. She was about 12 hours away from an induction when she went in for treatment, and ended up avoiding the induction altogether. Her labor was all of 5 hours long. My doc won't let me go past 41 weeks because of my age, so I will be taking that route if it becomes necessary.

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#6 of 8 Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 AM

DDCC to say that I had acupuncture on my due date and went into active labor about 6 hours later. My labor was only 5 hours! IDK if it was the acupuncture or not, but I'm definitely doing again for this pregnancy!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#7 of 8 Old 03-26-2011, 06:26 AM

i did acupuncture just before 41 wks with dd2.  didn't really work for me. at least I don't think it did.  I went into labor after they stripped membrances at 41w3d.  I did have a very nice, easy labor- but it didn't seem like the acupuncture stimulated much for me. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#8 of 8 Old 03-28-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.  I just got on and read them.  I had my first session today and I'll go back Wednesday so we'll see!  Exciting!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page