Welcome babies Tristan Alexander and Cael Elijah! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

EEEE!! Sorry it's taken me so long to post, but Tristan and Cael were born @37 weeks on Friday March 18, 2011 @ 5:09pm and 5:11pm respectively.

Tristan was 6 pounds 11 ounces 19.5 inches and Cael was 7 pounds 4 ounces and 20.5 inches!

Long birth story that I will post later, but they were born healthy and discharged with mama after a 48 hour hospital stay :)

Here they are today after slipping into a nursing coma :)

Tristan and Cael 6 days old.jpg

Here is the lonnnnng birth story:

So went into the hospital for the section on Friday (37 weeks gestation). Both babies were still breech, my platelet count kept decreasing, and the words general anesthesia kept floating out of my OB's mouth, so I could have chanced it, and taken the risk that my platelet count (which was at 104) could drop below 100, and then have to get a c-section with general anesthesia, OR, go ahead and get the section at 37 weeks with a spinal. I chose the latter. I'm glad I did, my platelet count was at 118 when I went in for the section and 101 when they tested me the next day. I think the anesthesiologist might not have wanted to chance it, had he seen it that low.

ANYWAY, I got in for the section at 3, my doula, DH and mom at my side, but an emergency came up with my OB, so I didn't actually end up going in until like 5 (talk about starving! I hadn't eaten anything since 5:30am!!!) My OB, knowing me, bent every single hospital rule. He allowed me to breastfeed in the OR, and had the lactation consultant scrub up and made sure when he draped the curtain he had it low enough that it wouldn't interfere. He let my doula into the OR along with my DH, which was prior to pretty unheard of, especially with a twin section, where there's already a million people in there- She was able to take pictures, and watch over the nurses to make sure no one administered eye goop or vitamin K :) I have a lot of great pictures. I got both babies latched on and suckling for about 20 minutes each in the OR, they were so good!! The poor doc (who is like the best in our area for sections, the director of the huge OB/GYN practice, and very natural birth friendly) accidentally sewed a sponge into my uterus, and when they did the sponge count, realized they were one short, he had to re-open me and fish around in there for it- kinda scary for everyone. Other than that, the actual section went off without a hitch.

Neither of the boys went to the nursery after that, they just followed me right into recovery per my instructions. Even though the babies scored 9 and 8 on their Apgars, Tristan began having respiratory issues once we got to recovery. I knew it was nothing, I told the resident ped, I thought it was likely just fluid in his lungs from the section. Well my pediatrician decided to go on vacation last week and not let me know, so even though my birth plan said no pediatric residents, here I was stuck with a paranoid one. They took him to the nursery. I didn't hear back from him for another hour or so, when he came to tell us that the breathing rate had decreased a little but was still in the 80s. He wanted to administer antibiotics (PRIOR TO EVEN GETTING BLOOD TESTS!!!) I pretty much screamed at him, and told the Charge nurse I wanted to see the Attending RIGHT NOW. She said he wasn't at the hospital, and I said I didn't care, and I wanted him here now. So she had to call him in. He was pissed to be called out of his bed to deal with this, agreeing with everything his resident said, and I absolutely refused to do antibiotics until we got the full scope of blood tests back to see about sepsis.

The next argument came when they wouldn't let me BF him because they were afraid of aspiration. (I didn't learn until after we were discharged that even if a baby aspirates breast milk, because it is a bodily fluid, it is simply reabsorbed and wouldn't cause infection- GAH!!) So they inserted an NG tube and wanted me to pump 30 ml (THIRTY ML!) of Colostrum for him every 3 hours!! While nursing another child!!!! I was so upset- they told me if I couldn't, they would have to give him formula. I advised them if they gave him anything but Breastmilk, they'd be facing a lawsuit. My doula got a hold of the local donor bank, but no one was available until the next morning, so she called her best friend, who was nursing a 3 month old, to bring in some of her breast milk. OMG, when I told the nurses and the pediatrician they freaked. Not screened etc etc. Well we made them call the legal department and guess what? They had to let him have it :) I just signed a consent, and the mama brought the breast milk at 1am that morning! The next morning the bank sent over 30 ounces!!! To make a long story short, he was in the nursery for an entire day and a half before they allowed me to start nursing him again. DH and I took turns with Kangaroo care and skin to skin the entire time. He latched like a champ, and was allowed to return to our room, because guess what- his tests were all negative (oh and they ran a urine screen on him for illegal drugs, because the doctor said he was "jittery"- the a**hole) no sepsis, no drugs, just a healthy baby with a little fluid in his lungs.

We were discharged the very next day, but before that, the attending came in with all his residents, and had my DH and I talk to them about what Kangaroo care was, what skin to skin was and why I was so adamant about those things, and breastfeeding. He admitted he thinks the skin to skin and kangaroo care helped him recover so quickly (duhhh)and complimented me on breastfeeding twins so successfully and said I should win an award (trying to suck up after putting us through all that sh$% if you ask me). Anyway, that's that- we pissed everyone off, got away with everything we wanted, and I'm sure everyone was happy to see us leave lol- But hey we're home, we're healthy and that's what's important.

Boys are awake and hungry gotta go, still trying to keep up with every one tho!!! xoxoxo

havsulen and pattimomma like this.

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
#2 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 02:36 PM

Congrats mama!  Great weights and absolutely beautiful little boys!

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#3 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM

Wonderful, wonderful!!! Double congratulations to you. What great weights too! I'm thrilled for you. I LOVE their little mouths in that pic. Can't wait to see more. Can you believe there are two of them? I really can't fathom!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#4 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 02:53 PM

Wow mama they are so precious!!!!  Congratulations on your big boys!  Can't wait to hear your story.  Enjoy your babymoon!joy.gif

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#5 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 03:39 PM

wow SO HAPPY for you!!! Awesome weights! And how great that your OB bent all those rules for you. Sounds like it was about as perfect of a C/S experience you could possibly have!

That's got to be frustrating with the pediatrician and all of those stupid issues. Sorry it marred an otherwise nearly perfect experience. It sounds very liberating to be able to tell them to shove off though! :-) You're a good mama and very protective of the important things! :-) Enjoy your babies!!!

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
#6 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Congrats! Great story! They are gorgeous!
#7 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 04:53 PM

Nanette- they are so cute!  CONGRATS to you!!!  I'm glad things went well for you and glad the boys are doing well. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#8 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 05:10 PM

congrats! and good for you for sticking to your guns even when you were told different things!!! you are an inspiration to us all :-)

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#9 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 05:39 PM

Nanette - You handled the birth and hospital care like a trooper.  What an advocate you are for your boys (even though it's incredibly exhausting and frustrating to have to be).  The boys are lovely.  Congrats to you!

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#10 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 05:54 PM

Congratulations! So glad your doula could be in the room with you as well as your DH. Babies are coming fast now in our DDC!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#11 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 06:27 PM

They are so precious! Enjoy your babymoon!

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#12 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Very cute!!  Congrats, mama...

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#13 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 PM

What a story. You're a true champ! Congratulations and enjoy your babymoon.

Also, 30 mL is a lot! The local maternity/natural momma store has mentioned that babies really don't need to eat much in the first week of life. They live off the what little fat stores they have and colostrum and it allows the mother time for her milk to come in. I never asked the owner for research on this, but it makes sense when you think about it.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#14 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

you so ROCK!

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#15 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 08:00 PM

bow2.gif

YOU ARE AWESOME!!

your sons are big and healthy and so precious!  Wow, I can't believe they are twins born a couple weeks early!

Good for you for everything you stood up for...and teaching the docs and nurses so many important things.

- 7; - 5; - 2; --due 4/11
#16 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 PM

wow, you are one pitbull of a mama. What lucky babes...I felt a lot of the same things dealing with a nazi pediatrician with this one, I totally feel you. We picked our battles, sounds like you had it even more uphill! 

Congratulations. On the beautiful outcome, all the ups, and for making it through the downs! 

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#17 of 25 Old 03-25-2011, 10:19 PM

Congrats on those beautiful babies!   You really are an inspiration to all of us moms who want things outside of hospital policy.  When it comes time for me to fight, I will be thinking about you!

#18 of 25 Old 03-26-2011, 04:20 AM

Congrats on two cuties and being able to birth in a way you (pretty much) wanted.  Sounds like you have a wonderful OB (letting the Doula and LC in the OR - awesome!).  Too bad about the pedi though and all that you had to fight.  Glad to hear you're all home. Enjoy your babies and babymoon! joy.gif

#19 of 25 Old 03-26-2011, 05:44 AM

The are adorable! And you are awesome!

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#20 of 25 Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 AM

You are such a rock star!  Congratulations!

#21 of 25 Old 03-26-2011, 12:47 PM

What wonderful looking boys!  You grow them well!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#22 of 25 Old 03-26-2011, 05:37 PM

Great! How empowering!! You are amazing.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#23 of 25 Old 03-26-2011, 05:56 PM

Awww, congratulations! And YOU GO MAMA! Way to be a fierce mama bear right out of the gate clap.gif

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#24 of 25 Old 03-27-2011, 12:17 PM

Oh, wow - I am so impressed by how you handled everything. I wish you didn't have to fight so hard of course, but I am so happy for the way it turned out in the end - you won! Enjoy your babymoon, mama! Your babies are absolutely gorgeous!

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011
#25 of 25 Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 AM

Congratulations!!  Way to go, mama!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page