How much is it normal to bleed after a cervical check? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-01-2011, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Had an appt today at 36w3d and the doctor did a cervical check. 1 cm dilated and starting to soften! Baby beginning her descent, doc guesses her current weight at around 6.5 lbs, thinks she'll likely be between 7.5 and "high 8s" at birth depending on when I deliver. I know 1 cm doesn't mean anything especially this early but still, it's exciting to hear "dilated"!

Anyway, doc said I may bleed a little but I've been surprised at how much. Nothing hurt while she was checking me. I have not seen a single spot of blood since my last period back in mid-July, but since my appointment I've gone through four pantiliners--is that normal?

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#2 of 6 Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 PM

Yeah, if he stirred things up enough, you can have a decent amount if sporting. It would bee similar to a membrane sweep if you may be were at 1cm and he stretched you and checked aroundn a little.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#3 of 6 Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 AM

Sorry your having so much bleeding....my MW checked me on thursday the 31st and i was 1cm with a thick cervix...and i'm 38 wks 6 days. No bleeding....i'd be careful with anyone checking me again if i had that much bleeding at 36 weeks. I've decided no more fingers in my vagina...from here on out. I'm the only one who will check me! I know my body works and I know i will go into labor no matter what! I know it's so hard to not have the cervix checked....but for me it just started creating a monster where i felt that if my cervix was dialated that baby was coming soon. And thats so not the case. So ive surrendered to the powers that be and released it all to the energy of the universe. Hope the bleeding has let up by now.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#4 of 6 Old 04-04-2011, 08:45 AM

Yeah, I'm anti cervical checks too because they mean very little, can obviously cause bleeding as you are dealing with, and can introduce bacteria. Not the best idea. Really, cervical checks mean very little. When labor kicks in, you will likely be  required by the doc or midwife when you go in (assuming you are going to a hospital or birth center) to be checked and then I'd tell them no more until you feel like it's time to push if things are seeming to go well. They usually want to check at the end to make sure you are actually 10 cm.

Honestly, I was not checked before my body started pushing out baby last time. Not like they could have stopped it. LOL

I don't really think checking is necessary at all but those 2 times I mentioned are usually required by a care provider. Blah.

I think I read someone was 3 cm for a couple weeks and then 5 cm for a week! So, yeah.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#5 of 6 Old 04-04-2011, 09:49 AM

I also will not be having cervical checks.  If I go past my EDD then I might consent to a check.  I tried to find my cervix the other day and its too high and posterior for me to find so I know an exam would be uncomfortable to say the least.  They are the most painful part of labor in my opinion so I keep cervical checks to the bare minimum.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#6 of 6 Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 AM

My feelings on cervical checks are this: it meas nothing like other PPs said, and "curiosity killed the cat".... lol. That's what I tell myself whenever I'm thinking "well, maybe I'll have her check me..." I remind myself that it is not helpful in any way and that I'm more likely to have something negative or even negative expectations out of it than it is to do any good. lol.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page