First time mom birth story!!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wanted to write a birth story for all the other 1st time moms!!!! Sorry if it's lengthy... :) All the other birth stories I've never seem to include a due date!  I was due APRIL 1ST.

After 3 weeks of BH contractions that were on and off painful, I really truly felt this was "IT" when they hurt 3 contractions in a row.  I went to my friend's hockey game and started timing them... 7 minutes apart, 8 minutes apart, 5 a part.  I was bummed they weren't consistent.  They hurt like period cramps, but I could still function through them obviously. THE DATE WAS MARCH 30TH

When my friend's game was over, (9:15pm) he came to say hello to us and ask me "when's that baby coming??"  I said "maybe tonight?"... then started walking for the doors to leave and OOPS, did I just pee my pants??  I stopped right there and told my husband that I think my water just broke.  I went in the bathroom to check and it didn't smell like pee.  

We got home and the contractions kept coming.  They were about 6 minutes apart then.  I called the doctor and it took him about 45 minutes to return my call.  Since I told him I thought my water had broke, he said it was time to go to the hospital.  (10:45 pm).  I got there and they first checked to see if my water did break.  Yup!  I said "so this is it huh?"  :)  Yup! I was 2cm and 60% effaced. (12:00AM)

My friend who is visiting from Australia came by around midnight to pray for me.  She knew how very nervous I was and prayed for strength for me and baby, endurance and an easy labor!  

The contractions for the next 2 1/2 hours weren't bad.  The nurse was having trouble getting the monitor in the right spot to accurately read my contractions from the front desk.  She kept coming back and asking if they were getting stronger and I said yes.  According to the monitor they didn't look like much.  at 2:30 am I told my husband to get some sleep because I thought I'd be in labor all night and into the next day??  That was just what I thought it'd be like in my head.  Around 3:00 am, they started to SUCK.  I tried to rest between them, but they were coming so close I couldn't.  Some hurt way more than others and sometimes I'd finish up with one contraction and have one immediately after it (within 40 seconds).  I thought that was weird.  Just goes to show EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT and whatever I read in the books was NOT what the kind of labor I had. 

I had diaherea 3 times during the night, the poor nurse!  She had to come in everytime to unhook me.  She checked me when I got back into bed at 3:50 am and I was 4 cm and 80% effaced.   I powered through them on my own thinking it'd still be all night before I even felt like I couldn't handle them anymore.  

One contraction made me throw up (around 4am).  That woke my husband up!  I insisted he go back to bed but when the nurse came in at 4:10 to check me, I was 6cm.  She kept saying "you're going fast girl!"  She called the doctor to let him know of my progress. He was at home (a few minutes away) but was on his way in.  The nurse stayed in the room for a bit and when the contractions were coming minutes apart she said "I better check you again".  I was 8 cm by 4:30.  They called the doctor again to tell him he probably wouldn't make it.  At 4:44 am I was 10cms and 100% effaced.  Here's the fun part:

I had my first contraction where I felt the baby coming and freaked out!  I couldn't believe the sensation!!!  There was absolutely no controlling the urge to push.  (I've read about that so many times, now I REALLY know what that is).  During every contraction I was still able to talk and ask questions and focus.  I really didn't understand the feeling and how to NOT PUSH.  It's such a crazy feeling... it was like the baby was being pushed down and out by itself.  My nurse sat at the end of my bed ready to catch the baby if the doc didn't make it.  My bed was still just set up as a normal bed, not a delivery bed.  I absolutely could NOT hold it in any longer and guess who showed up? :)  The doctor came in, they got the bed ready and I was on my way pushing!  The noises that were coming out of me were crazy.  Everytime the head would "push itself" down, my body just reacted really strange.  The doctor had me stop, look him in the eyes, focus and listen to what he was saying.   He said, "Julie, take all the energy from those noises coming out of you and put them into pushing!"  Of course I tried it!!! That was the best advice anyone gave me!!!

From my husband's recollection.... it took me 4 pushes to get him out.  (1st time moms will appreciate this.......) The 1st push he said made my bottom area look like a jiffy pop!  He said everything down there bulged out so far (butt too)... it looked just like a jiffy pop cooking on the stove!  2nd push he could see hair, 3rd push  he could see more of the top of his head and the 4th time without having the urge to push (just cause I was almost there... why not give it a little push??) the head came out and the doc did the rest!!!  We did not know the gender, but I was completely convinced it was a girl.  When I saw testicles, I couldn't believe it!  My husband forgot to even look to see what it was!  They told us about 20 seconds later "it's a boy!" 

It was 100% natural with the exception of an IV for fluids and pictocin for the placenta.  I didn't even push for the placenta.  I was on my phone texting my family :)  

Grey Radly Stromwall was born on March 31st at 5:04 am after less than 10 minutes of pushing. He was 5lbs 8oz, 20 inches long.  I live at high altitude (9300ft) and most babies are born very small up here. I had 2nd degree tear (don't know what that means).  The doctor stitched me up for a while and then the nurse came one last time to clean me off.  She put freezing water or solution on me and I wiggled with surprise.  She said "Oh my gosh I'm so sorry, most people are numb!!!!!"  Less than 40 minutes after he was born, he breastfed perfectly!  

I am so so so so so pleased at how it all went down.  It was SO much easier than I thought it would be.  I never once thought I'd need medicine to control the pain and I never dreamed it would only be 5 hours from the time I was admitted to the time he was here.  I had MANY friends praying for me and I truly believe that is why it was as easy as it was.  I was discharged yesterday in the early afternoon and I feel fantastic.  I am aware that not everyone can have a delivery like this and that it was rare for me, being a first time mom, to deliver so fast.  I am so thankful.

Here are some pics!  

IMG_3425.JPGIMG_3427.JPG

IMG_3429.JPGIMG_3432.JPGIMG_3443.JPGIMG_3444.JPGIMG_3452.JPGIMG_3464.JPGIMG_3476.JPGIMG_3545.JPG

IMG_3511.JPGgrey.jpg

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#2 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 08:20 AM

Congratulations!!  That little yawning picture is adorable.  love.gif

#3 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 08:26 AM

Congrats!! He's so cute! What a great birth story, thank you for sharing.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#4 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 08:28 AM

what a little peanut he is adorable!!!  sounds like a fantastic birth, too.

joy.gifCongrats!!!  joy.gif

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#5 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 AM

that last photo is precious! I enjoyed reading your story. prayer is so important to DH and I as well. I am glad it helped you

Annemarie~ married to super hubbysuperhero.gif  ~catholic mom of 4 boys(fencing.gif.17+14)..(ribbonjigsaw.gif.splat.gif7).(.blahblah.gif.5)..(Emmaangel3.gif) Grace Clotilde. 4/10/11 someone new 2/2013

An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog

#6 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 AM

thanks for sharing your story!! congrats to you and your family!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#7 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 09:53 AM

congrats...love the pics....what a wonderful birth experience.

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#8 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 09:54 AM

wow, sounds amazing. My 5hr delivery had a time line just like yours...I had a very different time of it though, lol! I asked my husband later if he thought God still answered prayers that had cuss words in them...my normally pristine mouth was swearing like a sailor.

So glad your little guy is here, he's gorgeous!

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#9 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 AM

congrats!  I love hearing of these natural births in the hospital!

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#10 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 11:21 AM

Great birth, congratulations!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#11 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 03:35 PM

Congrats on what sounds like a wonderful birth!  joy.gif What a cutie!  Was the monkey outfit his "going home" outfit?  LOL  Enjoy your babymoon.

#12 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 05:47 PM

Congratulations! What a great birth story! You did awesome, mama!

LOVE that last picture, so precious!

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#13 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 05:48 PM

He is precious! Congrats!

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#14 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 07:34 PM

He's adorable!  Thanks for sharing your story!

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#15 of 17 Old 04-03-2011, 04:58 PM

So sweet--I love the photos. That's not a newborn outfit he's pictured next to, is it? As a fellow first timer I really appreciate the story--can't wait till it's my turn in a few weeks! Congratulations!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#16 of 17 Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Yes it is newborn!!! Haha!  He's crazy tiny but completely full term and perfect.  Only on oxygen because of the altitude.  I'm glad you liked the story!  Thank you to all the other ladies who left sweet comments.  Can't wait to see your babies!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

So sweet--I love the photos. That's not a newborn outfit he's pictured next to, is it? As a fellow first timer I really appreciate the story--can't wait till it's my turn in a few weeks! Congratulations!

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#17 of 17 Old 04-04-2011, 11:33 AM

Congratulations!  Great photos.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page