Counting days! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, in my misery of these last few weeks of pregnancy, where the days seem to drag in endless misery while I try to keep up with my 6 year old and toddler, I've been feeling like "a few more weeks" seemed like an endless abyss of pregnancy.  While I was laying down with my toddler today, I realized that there is a very real end in sight.  That I am at the point to counting down the days instead of the long weeks - which seems so much more bearable.  My due date is April 15, and my doc won't let me go past 41 weeks (welcome to being "advanced maternal age" at an OB's office), which means that as of today I only have (and not more than) 18 more days!  Wow, I can handle that!

All of a sudden I feel like I can trudge through these days of exhaustion, grouchiness, and never-ending hunger knowing it's only days, not weeks, of waiting. 

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#2 of 19 Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 PM

we have the same due date! as long as I continue to measure within dates and my BG stay mostly stable I can go till the end of april. I dont think I will but you never really know

Annemarie~ married to super hubbysuperhero.gif  ~catholic mom of 4 boys(fencing.gif.17+14)..(ribbonjigsaw.gif.splat.gif7).(.blahblah.gif.5)..(Emmaangel3.gif) Grace Clotilde. 4/10/11 someone new 2/2013

An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog

#3 of 19 Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 PM

I know what you mean. 4/15 my date by ovulation and 4/18 by ultrasound. 42 weeks is the longest they'll let me go naturally, so 28 days at the most. It wouldn't be so hard to handle if I didn't get a text from someone everyday asking if the baby came yet. DH is the worst when he's at work. I get at least 3 messages a day asking if I've had any contractions.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#4 of 19 Old 04-05-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsberman View Post

DH is the worst when he's at work. I get at least 3 messages a day asking if I've had any contractions.

I'd tell him to quit it! And that you'll let him know if things happen. 

Good to see he's excited but that would be a pain! :)

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#5 of 19 Old 04-05-2011, 08:18 AM

I'm also due the 15th. All my other kiddos were born 40w plus but maybe this one will be here sooner? My m/w thinks he's going to be on the bigger side (I don't think so, but whatever)  :)   She said she hopes he comes earlier than my edd for that reason. We are not inducing in any way. She was just hoping. I have only had one internal exam and that was by my request at 36 weeks. I was only 1-2 cm and my cervix was very soft. I spotted from that exam for a few hrs. I am not planning on any more exams at this point. Although I do check myself occasionally.

#6 of 19 Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preggers5 View Post

I have only had one internal exam and that was by my request at 36 weeks. I was only 1-2 cm and my cervix was very soft. I spotted from that exam for a few hrs. I am not planning on any more exams at this point. Although I do check myself occasionally.

I have tried to check myself a couple of times and I can't seem to get any real information!  I'm not sure if I just can't get in a good postion to reach it or what. 

#7 of 19 Old 04-05-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

I'd tell him to quit it! And that you'll let him know if things happen. 

Good to see he's excited but that would be a pain! :)

He's military and there's a huge thing coming up the entire week the baby is "due." As long as the baby comes between now and then, or during that week then he can get out of participating. He's not supposed to take part in whatever their doing that week because we're transferring, but they want him to because he knows what to do.

He's also excited because we don't know what the baby is yet and we'll find out very soon.

#8 of 19 Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twegs View Post

I have tried to check myself a couple of times and I can't seem to get any real information!  I'm not sure if I just can't get in a good postion to reach it or what. 

Same here! My belly is too big to get to where I need to go. I had no problems checking near ovulation, but now I feel like I longer arms.

#9 of 19 Old 04-05-2011, 11:25 AM

I've been able to check my cervix....but....i can only feel one side of it...does that make sense?  I cant reach any further that the one side! So what i am feeling is very soft and mushy. The MW ck'd me last week and said i was still high and only 1cm. I still feel like my cervix is high..because it's hard to reach....but i have been loosing clear mucus all week. Maybe it's opened a bit more.

I'm frustrated too...because my us dd was 4-4 and my lmp dd is 4-9. And i'm having lots of prelabor that's been going on for 2 weeks now. I'm not sleeping well and very tired. Very bored sitting here at home....feeling restless.... I want to do something...but cant find anything to do! kwim?

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#10 of 19 Old 04-05-2011, 12:09 PM

mama23wildponie we are in the same boat feeling our cervix's too!  my belly is just in the way, plus, I have a tilted back uterus so everything is at a weird angle.  That so does not help the situation.  Based on the increased pressure now I think things are finally progressing, which is great!  not gonna get to excited though until the baby is born though! don't want to jinx anything lol

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#11 of 19 Old 04-05-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Oh how I dread the cervical checks! I dare not try one on myself because both the OB and the physicians assistant have a hard time finding it, I know I would never be able to. And boy doesit hurt when they are looking! I never realized before just how big my OB's hands are. But even the PA with her small hands caused me so much pain that I am going to use the opportinity at my next appointment to practice my hypnosis techniques to try to numb the area ahead of time.

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#12 of 19 Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 PM

Same here on the self-checks. Except just a few weeks ago I was able to reach the whole thing. It was higher up but I could feel all sides of it. Now it's lower but much further back (posterior). Is that a good thing, bad thing, or doesn't matter? It's SUPPPPPER soft too. I dont know how to gauge percentages of effacement but if I had to guess based on what I've felt all pregnancy (as 0%) and no length to the cervix as being 100%, then I'd say I'm about 80-90%. This doesn't surprise me since with both DD and DS I was 80% effaced or more within weeks of delivery. I tend to efface very easily but have "trouble" dilating. I'd also guess i'm 2.5+ cm dilated but since I can only reach the anterior side of my cervix it's hard to know for sure. I was about 2cm the other day and it feels much wider now. I just dont know how MUCH wider. I wont be having any exams from the MWs before or during labor (unless necessary) so I guess I'll never know for sure :-)

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
#13 of 19 Old 04-05-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsberman View Post

It wouldn't be so hard to handle if I didn't get a text from someone everyday asking if the baby came yet. DH is the worst when he's at work. I get at least 3 messages a day asking if I've had any contractions.

My Dh does the same thing! He's just being sweet, but it's kind of annoying. I've given up on calling other family members because they answer the phone saying " are you in labor?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaRN View Post

Same here on the self-checks. Except just a few weeks ago I was able to reach the whole thing. It was higher up but I could feel all sides of it. Now it's lower but much further back (posterior). Is that a good thing, bad thing, or doesn't matter? It's SUPPPPPER soft too. I dont know how to gauge percentages of effacement but if I had to guess based on what I've felt all pregnancy (as 0%) and no length to the cervix as being 100%, then I'd say I'm about 80-90%. This doesn't surprise me since with both DD and DS I was 80% effaced or more within weeks of delivery. I tend to efface very easily but have "trouble" dilating. I'd also guess i'm 2.5+ cm dilated but since I can only reach the anterior side of my cervix it's hard to know for sure. I was about 2cm the other day and it feels much wider now. I just dont know how MUCH wider. I wont be having any exams from the MWs before or during labor (unless necessary) so I guess I'll never know for sure :-)

I think it doesn't matter. Or mean anything. I've checked myself several times and it's always different. I checked last week and was about 50%, anterior and 2-3 cm, checked yesterday and was 1cm, thick and posterior. It's I don't know if there's something wrong with me, but I think it just proves to me that dilation/effacement means NOTHING before labor starts.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#14 of 19 Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlovs View Post
 But even the PA with her small hands caused me so much pain that I am going to use the opportinity at my next appointment to practice my hypnosis techniques to try to numb the area ahead of time.

Or, since cervical checks mean very little and can help aid in causing infection, you could opt out of those until you suspect you are in labor.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#15 of 19 Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 AM

Cervical checks really dont mean a thing..unless you are wanting them to sweep your membranes or strip your membranes....I'm thinking not to have any more checks at all. And i've pretty much figured i should stop doing them all together too. Just frustrates me...because if i'm not in labor...what's the use of even felling around in their.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#16 of 19 Old 04-06-2011, 10:47 AM

yea no kidding....this early labor and wondering what/if anything is happening is SO for the birds.  Not gonna have any more exams until I know I'm in active labor - which I thought was yesterday but no no no.  At this rate I'll be pregnant until I'm 50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post

Cervical checks really dont mean a thing..unless you are wanting them to sweep your membranes or strip your membranes....I'm thinking not to have any more checks at all. And i've pretty much figured i should stop doing them all together too. Just frustrates me...because if i'm not in labor...what's the use of even felling around in their.

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#17 of 19 Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM

How funny.  I am due this week and was just telling my mw yesterday that I am counting down the days.  I always go to 42 weeks and have given myself the date of the 24th to have the baby by before I induce.  I thought counting down the days would help but when you aren't sleeping before of night sweats and acid reflux the days are REALLY long lol.  

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#18 of 19 Old 04-06-2011, 11:23 AM

What a great way to reframe the situation to make it seem less difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twegs View Post

Me too!  I've tried while squatting in the shower a couple of times and can't reach anything. Could be I'm still really high, but I swear at times I can feel my cervix hanging really low. Maybe those are the times I should go check lol.

For those who are able to check themselves, what position do you do it in? Squatting seems to be the only thing way I can reach anything.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#19 of 19 Old 04-06-2011, 12:32 PM

For cervical checks I've had best luck: on your back, with a pillow under your hips (fists under hips work as well if a partner is checking you). Bear down a little as if passing a BM can help if you are still high and/or posterior.

I thought being in the shower would work better too, but it doesn't.

I've also read that two fingers are much better than one. I was unable to gauge dilation on my own when posterior, but DH could do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page