Mothering Forum banner

Wow that was crazy fast and intense! - UPDATED with Birth Story

896 views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  Neuromancer 
#1 ·
DD2, made her appearance last night at 10:50 pm after a very fast and intense labour of about 3 1/2 hrs, 11 mins of pushing. She's my first HB and non-NICU baby. 7 lbs 8 oz and nursing well on the right breast but not as nicely on the left :-( Will tell more later. Need to think of a name for the girl! LOL

UPDATE:

Baby's birth

Monday am I woke around 5 am to go pee and when I looked down I *thought* I saw something more coming out. My water had broke as a trickle with DS so you think I would have clued in but no, I was in total denial and I went back to sleep. When I got up later I did tell DH that I thought my water broke, but we still went along with our days. Fortunately for me my mom was still at my place so it was easier to take care of the kids. Mom tells me that she knew I was in labour (or very close) because I'd started to withdraw into myself and had been all weekend, which is why she stayed.

At 10 I was sitting at the computer and felt a small gush of fluid. That's when I couldn't deny it anymore, my water had indeed broke. I called my MW and since I was GBS- and not contracting she encouraged me to take it easy but also look into natural induction methods to help things along. I called my doula as well to update her and spent the next couple of hours helping my mom pack up the kids and taking it easy.

Around noon my MW called and checked to see how the contrax were going. They'd been irregular and still felt like BH so she suggested that I consider doing castor oil to help speed things along. I wasn't too keen on the idea but I had DH pick up some on the way home from work.

DH came home at 2 and we saw the kids off. We took a walk which really helped, as we live in a hilly neighbourhood and the contrax picked up. When we got home I discovered I had more bloody show. Things seemed to be progressing well enough that I decided not to do the castor oil.

By 4 pm the contrax were steady but still realtively manageable. A quick check-in with the MW and doula were done at that point but I spent the rest of the time sitting on the birth ball and talking with DH. We started timing contrax about a 1/2 hr later. Around 6 things started to get heavy so I asked my doula to come over. By the contrax were about 5-6 mins apart and 30 seconds each. We took another walk which helped move things along even more.

Sometime between 8 and 9 I decided that we should call the MW. Contrax were about 5 mins apart and about 40 seconds each. MW assessed over the phone and decided to come and check me out. She said it would take about an hour to get to our place.

This is when things started to get really intense.

I'd been trying to keep my bladder empty and I was finding it increasingly difficult to sit down and go pee. My contrax were also still about the same length but much, much stronger. It was crazy, my whole lower back would go from totally relaxed to a crazy contrax. I had to really concentrate and vocalize to keep everything relaxed. I was beginning to worry and have doubts about the labour.

The MW arrived around 10 at the end of a contrax. She said she'd set up in our bedroom and do a cervical check before bringing the rest of her stuff in. I decided to go pee before the check. When I stood up from the toilet I could feel the HEAD move into the birth canal. I told her that I could feel the head and I had to push. MW said no pushing and I had to get on the bed. Of course, my body didn't listen and started to push. I was told I was not allowed and had to get my butt in the air and chest to the bed in order to take the pressure off the cervix.

MW ordered DH to bring everything from her car into the apt and began to make a call for a back up MW (where I live you need 2 MWs at each birth). My doula began to help me NOT PUSH by having me say "house" through every contrax. DH broguht everything in and helped the MW get the important emergency stuff set up (like oxygen). Not being able to push during a contrax was the most horrible thing in the world and I NEVER EVER want to go through that again.

Finally the MW told me I was able to push and within 10 minutes the baby was out and on my belly. Since my MW made me wait and not push during crowning I remained intact for the 1st time. Baby was placed on my belly and began to cry seconds after being rubbed with a towel. She was so purple and cute. MW asked to give me oxytosin and I consented since everything happend so quickly and the last thing I wanted was to PPH. We waited for the cord to stop pulsing and DH cut the cord. A couple minutes later the back-up MW arrived.

It was one of the craziest and frightening experiences in my life. I honestly believe that it'll take me awhile to digest it and get over it (hell, it's taken me 4 days to get around to writing this up). I'm so glad we had our amazing doula and it wasn't just DH and I. I'm glad that our MW was so in control even though you could hear in her voice that she was flustered. And I'm really glad the kids weren't there to witness it.

MW asked for anyone to tell a joke while we were trying to deliver the placenta as I wasn't really having contrax. So DH is really proud of himself for thinking of this:

"What did the baby say to the placenta?" "See you afterbirth".

See less See more
#5 ·
Congrats!!! That's so exciting! We ARE having lots of fast and intense labors in this DDC... I feel like I should be nervous. lol. My MWs are an hour away and I've been telling them they can probably take their time because my last 2 labors were so long. haha. I'm thinking I should call right away just in case ;-) Enjoy your babymoon mama and good luck picking a name for your new little one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.