Postpartum mama's check in - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok taking you up on suggestion...my dad is picking some up now at Whole Foods :). I am feeling a good bit better, much less pain then two days ago. Yesterday, I started using a sitz bath brew with comfrey in it, in my peri bottle. I also laid some seaweed on the area during the night last night. So, with time passing and maybe those things, I'm much more on the mend!  DH and I took a brief walk tonight and it felt great, I was hardly sore. It's just uncomfortable to sit in a lot of positions, but I'm definitely getting there and I'm really happy, esp since my mom is leaving tomorrow.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#32 of 54 Old 04-18-2011, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

on a fun note DH was just changing gracie and she popped while he was cleaning her and it shot a good four feet across the room! 

is that normal?

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#33 of 54 Old 04-18-2011, 11:20 PM

So i got the bottom balm....why is there peppermint? I don't like the coolness/burning.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#34 of 54 Old 04-19-2011, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)

Checking in, mamas.  

I'm 8/9 days postpartum.  

Baby LL took a long time to poop (5 days with only the lightest staining of meconium).  By day 5 we were pretty stressed so we did end up going to the pediatrician.  Of course LL pooped an hour before the appointment.  eyesroll.gif  I kept the appointment because, by then, I just wanted to get that out of the way.  Turns out our ped is AWESOME!  I take DC to her but you can't really tell what a ped is like for a newborn by how they are with a 9 year old, yk?  Anyway, she's the most progressive doctor I've met in the last 9 years (and DC has been to 4 different pediatricians including a hippie Santa Cruz dude and a German homeopathic Dr.).  I'm excited about that for sure.  

LL is doing great - healthy, happy, mellow and eating well.  She's even sleeping very well 4-5 hour stretches at night.  I attribute some of that to this amazing product called the Woombie, which is like a little zip up coccoon.  They're expensive but worth it, imo.  Summer Infant also makes a similar product for less money.  Of course at 8 days all of this could change.  

I'm doing well.  On day 5 or so I had Juliee on the mind.  I was thinking of her skiing and thinking how different we are feeling.  BUT, I think day 5 was the low for me and I'm feeling much, much better.  By day 7 I was up, walking, vacuuming and stuff like that.  Turns out that much of my back pain and stiffness was more from sitting on my bum in a bad position more than it was from the birth.  For me there seems to be a delicate balance between taking it easy and "being a slouch".  I need to keep that in mind for the next few days.  

My vulva is a little sore as well.  I did a sits bath with witch hazel, epsom salts and comfrey.  That was nice.  I also need to be better about getting some air happening.  I think some of my irritation is more from being wet than the stitches.  I did do one night of Vasaline as a moisture barrier and that was good - but I think more than one or two nights would do more harm than good.  

DC#1 is being awesome!   She's super helpful and just as happy to play/hold the baby as she is to get shoved off somewhere.  My only complaint is when we have a big group her energy is a bit much for the room but that certainly isn't her fault and I just need to keep in mind that she's just excited.  She says she feels like she's getting more attention from me now than before the baby was born, which is both sad and happy news.  Sheepish.gif

I've got lots of support from my mom and SIL but I worry that they are getting kind of sick of each other.  They were kind of bickering the last 2 days.  Apparently sitting around for days on end waiting for your turn to hold the baby brings out the snark.  I hope they decide to visit at different times for the next few days because I don't like my babymoon being sullied by their 'tudes.  whistling.gif

Hormone wise I'm not sure what I'm in for.  I haven't had much of an emotional thing yet (other than the first few days).  I do have a headache, which I expect is from the hormones.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#35 of 54 Old 04-19-2011, 10:16 AM

Ok - I've a confession to make. DD2 is 14 days old and STILL DOESN'T HAVE A NAME! bag.gif We're close though.

It's gone really well this time. I was talking with my doula this morning about a few of my concerns and she had to remind me that this time I had a "normal" baby (aka not preemie or sick) and therefore DD2 is actually doing normal things. DD2 does have a stuffed nose but is otherwise doing fine.

I seriously love my mom and MIL - they took the older two for the first week and came and stayed with us for last week. So this is only the 2nd day I've had all 3 kids by myself. I'm taking it easy this time around. I over did it with the other two and I think it made things a little worse. This time I stayed in bed or on the couch for the 1st week and last week I didn't go far. I felt as though I could do anything but I knew better than to push it.

kittn - that's totally normal. DD1 was the same and if I wasn't quick she'd literally explode all over me and everything around her.

#36 of 54 Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 AM

ICM - i work with babies at night teaching moms how to get babies to sleep. we reccomend the woombie and the miracle blanket. depending on the child. it is fantastic and so worth every penny. we swaddle gracie at night and she gives us a solid 4 hrs she went almost 5 last night which was great!   we also wake sure she eats at least every 3 hrs during the day. i will wake her at the 3 hr mark during the day.

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#37 of 54 Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 AM

Funny you should mention the woombie.  I really wanted to use one of the gift certificates we were given to buy one for our son (who so far, can escape from our attempts to swaddle him in muslin blankets).  But my husband wants to give it a few more tries to do the swaddling with the standard blankets before buying the woombie.  I'm giving him another night or two, but then I'm getting one if our son is still escaping.  Because right now he's only sleeping 2 or 2 1/2 hours at a time at night (at the most) and I'm tired!  ;)

Speaking of my husband, I have to say he's really pulling his weight in the diaper-changing department.  He does them all at night and most of them during the day.  I feel like I'm feeding 'round the clock, so this means a lot to me!

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#38 of 54 Old 04-19-2011, 01:35 PM

Haven't seen the woombie but our muslin swaddling is going well. She's in our bed and I feel like she really needs to transition to the co sleeper next to the bed b/c I get frustrated at night with her there, stirring and what not, and her latch while sidelying did not work well last night, I didn't get the sleep I needed while she slept and fidgeted. And I don't think she's in the best position to not accidentally get the sheet and cotton blanket over her face. It worked while I was recovering and had a hard time getting out of bed, but that is easier now. So, she's napping now in the co sleeper, on her side, and this is the longest she's been in there so far (20 min at this point?).  We'll try to get some naps in there, and she's held for other naps, and hopefully put her in there at least part of the night, maybe later this week.

#39 of 54 Old 04-19-2011, 02:40 PM

a great way to swaddle babies ...

place their shoulders along the short side of the blanket (not the corner) so if the blanket is a rectangle put baies shoulders a little above the edge of the shorter side. wrap right side over baby placing baby's arm down. tuck under baby on the left side. take the left side and wrap over baby's arm (by her side) and around her back. the bottom should now be open but sort of tube. fold the bottom up towards baby's head fold it over so that it comes over baby's arms but below its chest. fold one side under and then bring the other side around and tuck it in to the front. I can try to do a video if it helps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Funny you should mention the woombie.  I really wanted to use one of the gift certificates we were given to buy one for our son (who so far, can escape from our attempts to swaddle him in muslin blankets).  But my husband wants to give it a few more tries to do the swaddling with the standard blankets before buying the woombie.  I'm giving him another night or two, but then I'm getting one if our son is still escaping.  Because right now he's only sleeping 2 or 2 1/2 hours at a time at night (at the most) and I'm tired!  ;)

Speaking of my husband, I have to say he's really pulling his weight in the diaper-changing department.  He does them all at night and most of them during the day.  I feel like I'm feeding 'round the clock, so this means a lot to me!

#40 of 54 Old 04-19-2011, 06:37 PM

Thanks, Kittn!  I think I can try that...We've been trying the one from the "Happiest Baby on the Block" DVD and it almost holds him.  ;)

#41 of 54 Old 04-20-2011, 09:03 AM

Kittn - If you could make a video, that would be great!  I'd love to swaddle like that, but I don't think I've got it quite right...I'm running out of blanket!!

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#42 of 54 Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuK53jFbovg

this should work. the stretchier the blanket the better (unless your using adain and anias blankets which are huge) waffle knit blankets are perfect and so are the stretchy thin summer blankets. hospital blankets are tough

#43 of 54 Old 04-20-2011, 02:11 PM

Has anyone felt this before? I was wearing my belly binder, the squeem, which fastens like a bra all the way up. A few times yesterday, if I bent at the waist to lean over, I felt a pinching of fat, as if the binder pinched some flabby skin (like when your tricep or thigh is pinched). I figured it was the binder, so I took it off last night before feeding DD. I sat down, bending at the waist, and felt it again! But I didn't have the binder on. I leaned over and felt it again, on the left side of my middle abdomen, near the one muscle that runs up and down. Later, I was able to rub it while laying down and it felt tender, but I didn't feel a protrusion or anything. What the heck is it? I was going to call my midwife, this isn't some sort of hernia is it? It didnt' feel any deeper than the muscle, and seemed mostly in the fat and muscle.

ETA: talked to my mw, she's never heard of it and said to keep an eye on it.  I began to wonder if it really was pinching, and got bruised somehow, so bending over and folding the fat made it pinch again, even though I didn't have it on. redface.gif

#44 of 54 Old 04-20-2011, 03:57 PM

oh, did it burn for you COOKAHM? most of my stiches were internal, so I guess the balm helped mostly for the irritation caused by wearing pads and depends, but I did like the peppermint, cooling effect.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#45 of 54 Old 04-20-2011, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the video, Kittn!

#46 of 54 Old 04-20-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

oh, did it burn for you COOKAHM? most of my stiches were internal, so I guess the balm helped mostly for the irritation caused by wearing pads and depends, but I did like the peppermint, cooling effect.

Yeah it does burn some. Though two of the ingredients are known to be excellent for healing - calendula and hypericum. I had ordered a Weleda cream from europe that has those two, on Sunday, and it won't come till next week. greensad.gif

#47 of 54 Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 PM

So, my MIL kept mentioning how nice heat feels on sutures...I was very doubtful but saw a thread on here about heat being better than cold...so I gave it a try, and what do you know, it feels GREAT.  This link helped me give it a try. http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/pppericr.html#Heat

I had a rice filled sock of DS's, and microwaved it and stuck it between my legs while I laid on the couch and just put it on again. It is pretty soothing, so if anyone else has pain and is past the first day or two of icing, give heat a try. I was afraid of increasing blood flow as I thought that would make me feel more pain, but the increased blood flow promotes healing.

IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

#48 of 54 Old 04-21-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuK53jFbovg

this should work. the stretchier the blanket the better (unless your using adain and anias blankets which are huge) waffle knit blankets are perfect and so are the stretchy thin summer blankets. hospital blankets are tough

Thanks so much for the video, Kittn.  I totally get it now.  I have more than enough blanket, I just didn't have the right technique orngbiggrin.gif.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#49 of 54 Old 04-21-2011, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

So, my MIL kept mentioning how nice heat feels on sutures...I was very doubtful but saw a thread on here about heat being better than cold...so I gave it a try, and what do you know, it feels GREAT.  This link helped me give it a try. http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/pppericr.html#Heat

My MW advises heat instead of cold.  In fact, the warm cloths she used just after the birth were so nice that I haven't touched the frozen pads I made.  If you have a crock pot you could fill some cloths with water and have them ready.  I hope you've found the trick and are on a speedy recovery!!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#50 of 54 Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 AM

it took me a while but once you get it,it isnt too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoegirl007 View Post

Thanks so much for the video, Kittn.  I totally get it now.  I have more than enough blanket, I just didn't have the right technique orngbiggrin.gif.

#51 of 54 Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 AM

Becca, I just had a boy after 2 girls, too.  My eldest is 6.  She was 5 when the second one was born.  That age has been such a help and so wonderful so in a way I've experienced a new baby with a five year old and a six year old like you, just not at the same time ;-)  But dd2 is 16 months now and for the past two days I've been staying with my mom during the day.  I pretty much nurse (both babies) and she does EVERYTHING else.  It's kind of like a vacation, because a newborn is easier than a one year old!

But for the five days before that I was at home.  Friends came and took the two girls out, but whenever I was alone with all of them it was JUST IMPOSSIBLE!  I can't stay at my mom's house forever.  Got any tips for surviving a newborn and a one year old at the same time?  My newborn boy is nursing pretty much always, and my one year old is nursing more now than she was before the baby.  She loves the baby, but she's also having a traumatic adjustment.  I can't pick her up when she wants up, or nurse her when she wants to nurse, and getting her to the potty is an adventure...oh, and I'm not letting her out the front door because our yard isn't fenced and she goes in the street and I'm just not in a position to chase after and grab her since I'm walking around nursing a newborn!  She was starting to turn into an unhappy child just from the first week, but these past few days with my mom have restored her to sweet, cheerful child, I guess because there's enough attention to go around now.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to be a mommy to all these kiddos at once and I'm kind of worried about it...I love them all so darn much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat View Post

My midwife said she wanted at least 1 week of me doing nothing.  So I've taken that to heart.  ;-)  Last time I had a baby I also had dd1 who was 17months old and I had practically no help.  Plus it was Christmas time.  I really have very few memories of dd2 as an infant.  This time I am pretty much just holding and cuddling him and letting DH take care of the girls and the house.  Guess I'm probably ready to start integrating back into the real world now.  I think we are going to go to the farmers market this weekend.  I'll just put the baby in the sling and hopefully no one will touch him.  I feel ready to get out but not sure if he is!!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#52 of 54 Old 04-22-2011, 12:36 PM

4 days pp here.  I feel sooooo much better physically than I did with my others, I'm assumin git's b/c I didn't tear this time.  I need to get on wearing my belly binder thing, but it was an olympic event to try and get it on the first time!  It was better the next day, so I bet today it would almost be comfy.  I could use the support from it, I just started feeling the weakness in my abs and back since I got home.

Ds has jaundice, this is a first for me.  He has to lay in a bili bed as much as possible through the weekend to try to get his level down.  Not fun b/c I love to just hold him all day, it's hard to lay him down in there as soon as he's asleep :(. 

You would think that I oculd have a super easy time with nursing since this is the fourth go round, but I am *super* sore and ds is just starting to make headway vs the massive engorgement.  Poor little guy, he's doing great despite basically being deluged with milk every time he latches on.  Any tried and true cures for sore and scabbed nips?  I did the soothies for a few days, but I'm not sure keeping everything moist all the time is good for healing -- I'm trying to let them air out as much as I can now.  I've used Lanolin in the past but found it goopy and not really a big help with the pain.  I'm taking ibuprofen around the clock, but I'll have to stop taht eventually, and really, I am still in tons of pain when he latches. 

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#53 of 54 Old 04-22-2011, 09:22 PM

At one point with a very sore nipple with DS a couple years ago, I gave that side a break from nursing and pumped for a few sessions and aired it out almost constantly. That helped a good deal.

Anyone else feel like they're sagging a lot down there after standing for a while?

#54 of 54 Old 04-23-2011, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Adasmommy- I wasn't tandem nursing.  I'm sure that presents a whole new set of problems.  But having 2 close together is really hard.  My only advice is take lots of pictures because your memories of this time will probably be spotty!  Its a whirlwind of diapers and feedings.  Really things settled down for us when the girls were like 3 and 4.  We always said we wanted 3 but DH wouldn't even consider adding baby 3 until girls last year just because of how crazy things were in that early time.  Its also a lot of fun- looking back.  But so much work.  You just kinda get through it!

Nadia- there are so many similarities between us!  I never had a problem breastfeeding before but this time it was agonizing at first!!  My mw actually had me see the lc at her office to correct things before it got worse.  My nipples were bleeding and bruised and it hurt so much.   I guess I was being kinda lazy and he was over-eager.  He wanted to clamp down the second he got near the boob and I wasn't supporting the breast and the baby enough.  Until just recently I had to really support boob, support baby- nurse in the chair with the boppy.  She also had me be sure not to latch him straight onto the breast I had to come from the top and around (does that make sense?!?) I guess this is all stuff they tell you as a first time breastfeeder but I was blessed with 2 little girls who could find the breast in any position from any angle and latch perfectly with practically no pain from day one.  I expected that this time, too and man- he took a bit of training.  We are just now (at 3 weeks) starting to be able to do sidelying a little bit and I am not always having to support him quite as much.  The only thing that helped was once he started latching better and then it took a few days for the pain to go away. 

Also, he was jaundiced and neither of the girls were.  We delivered at a birth center and were home in 3 hrs but if we had been at a hospital he would have ended up under lights I'm sure.  At 3 days he was getting pretty yellow and from day 4-7 he was really, really yellow.  I was getting a little worried but my pediatrician was really reassuring.  Although he slept a lot, he always woke up on his own to eat and was peeing and pooping great.  He also was gaining well. My ped just said it was normal and it might take a month or more to go away completely since he is breastfed.  Its still nervewracking when you've never had to deal with it before.  At 3 wks old he is a tiny bit yellow and his eyes are still a little yellow but over all is much, much better. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page