Postpartum mama's check in - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 04-06-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since so many of us have delivered I thought we could start a thread for all of us to check in. 

how is everyone doing?? 

overall, we're doing great.  DH has taken this week off and has been spoiling us.  He is doing most of the care for the girls and just letting me enjoy my little guy.  Still feeling fine as far as recovery.  I'm a little sore still but not too bad.  Breastfeeding is actually harder this time than it has been before.  He gets very eager at the boob and has a super strong suck.  He latches well but tends to come off a little and gave me some sore nipples and pain when he first latches. I saw a lc yesterday and she helped me figure out how to latch him better and its helping a little.  The girls were so good at it- we never even had to work at it.  This time is a little different but once I get him on he eats well and is getting plenty.  Its just the initial latch that has some issues. 

Hormones are going crazy and I'll break down crying just looking at him.  Guess i'm feeling a bit sad to be done with this part of my life and trying to enjoy every second of it.  I could just sit and hold him forever. I told DH during labor I was SOO glad we weren't doing this ever again but I would totally do it again- if only we were a little younger.  or maybe thats just the hormones talking.

my girls are adjusting pretty well.  The 6yo is a bit jealous of the attention the baby gets and is acting out a little.  The 5yo is fine. 

I can't even believe its almost been a week.  Already time is flying.  I really expected to be late so going early threw me off and the past week has just been surreal. 

hope everyone else is doing well. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 54 Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 PM

We're 17 days out. So far so good, I think.

His cord fell off at 3 days, which was unexpected to me. But since then his belly button has had some bloody "crust" in it all the time. I haven't seen any bright red blood or whatever...but it's been two weeks and still doing this. Is that weird?

DD (3) has been pretty good with all these changes...she's been very interested in the whole breastfeeding thing. She asked once to nurse, (hasn't nursed since her second birthday and clearly has no memory of the process!) And I told her as soon as the baby was done she could have a turn. So she tried it...it was really...weird. not to me but I could tell she was really feeling awkward about it like "I don't want to feel left out but this is not that great" and then she got down and said it tasted yucky and boobs are for babies. Babies eat boobs.

So we've been emphasizing the fact that she's not a baby, she's a big girl, a big sister. She doesn't do the things babies do. (Although she still wears diapers most of the time, lol...potty training went out the window in the last trimester.)

Any body done any babywearing lately? I've carried my little guy in the ringsling one day, and in my SSC twice...so far I love it. Can't wait to make a new wrap and put him on my back!

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#3 of 54 Old 04-06-2011, 07:26 PM

End of day 2, Neri was born yesterday at 4:30am.  I feel stronger today than yesterday when I get up to use the restroom, but sore from tearing. I'm swollen down there today too and finally put a frozen pad on which helped. My dad brought my mom up today so she's here for a couple weeks, and 2yo DS came back from our friend's house late this afternoon.

How long would you wait for a paci? This girl loves to suck and I'm thinking I just need to flow with it until my milk comes in. If she's awake, she wants to nurse. My right breast is a little achy so maybe I do have some milk coming in. She'll take my pinkie but I'm thinking mainly at night to sleep. We waited two weeks with DS in order to ensure a good latch, she had a very strong latch from the get go. She's funny though, she'll be nursing great then pop off seem content then two sec later want to get back on.

Is gas normal at this point? She's peeing well.

I need to keep my legs together 2 more days to help a tear heal near my uretha. It burns to pee but I'm so thankful I didn't need to transfer for repair. Midwife will come for visit tomorrow, I hope things are looking good down there. Ibuprofen and arnica seem to help a great deal if I don't lag between doses.Sitting up is easiest for nursing but not terribly comfortable at this point, but I can kinda ease down into reclining, once she's on, and that works. So glad to have the experience of nursing since this is #2, not much to learn right off the bat.

othersomethings, I'm not sure about the cord. Do you like the pedi enough to call in with a question?

Not wearing baby yet since I'm still in bed but DH almost wore her in the maya wrap, but ended up just sitting and rocking with her while I got a good nap.  I'll be wearing her to church the first time, prob in two weeks, for protection from grabby hands.

Hormones haven't kicked in but I know they will! Last time I had so many difficult feelings from the c/s, and I'm elated this time at the birth, but I'm sure hormones will still get the better of me soon enough.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#4 of 54 Old 04-06-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

i am pretty free to give a pacifier and have been with all 3 kiddos.  dd1 took to it and lept a paci til 3.  dd2 never wanted it much.  this little guy will take it but isn't super interested.  he'd rather have boob.  I would hold off on it if they had issues but none have had latch issues.  even with him its more about an over zealous suck than any other issues. 

i took ibuprofen around the clock for the first 3 days after this delivery and the last one but never needed any after the first time.  Also, was SOO glad that my midwife suggested to freeze some pads.  I sprayed them with witch hazel and stuck them in a ziplock in the freezer.  I didn't tear but had a little 'skidmark' and they felt great, only used them for about 24hrs. 

as far as the cord thing- i think it can be normal.  mostly I think as long as it doesnt smell funky and isn't oozy- i don't think its a problem. 

this weekend I am planning on wearing him out to the farmers market.  if we feel up to it.  I kinda want to wait longer to take him out BUT i am almost feeling a little stir crazy staying in the house.  not quite there yet but getting there.  I have a new baby k'tan and can't wait to use it!! 

#5 of 54 Old 04-06-2011, 10:18 PM

Cook - are you using a peri bottle with warm water when you pee? I swear, that takes SO much of the sting away from peeing. Just fill the peri bottle up with warm water and let it dribble/spray over your urethra as you pee. It dilutes the urine and helps a lot!

othersomethings  - As far as the cord goes, goldenseal is AWESOME stuff. It is a natural antiseptic and it helps dry out the cord and promote healing, so I bet you could put it on the open sore and it would really help. You can find it in the herb section at health food stores or whole foods or some place like that. Chamberlains carries it if you are in Orlando ( I'm from there originally!). 

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#6 of 54 Old 04-06-2011, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Our little girl is 3 days old now, and we are doing well. She didn't have any latch issues when it was just the colostrum, but now that I am engourged, she seems to be getting her tongue in odd places when she begins sucking. Ive been trying to be sure that we start out with her tongue down, but she seems to keep getting it back up above or to the side of my nipple for the first few sucks before finally getting positioned properly. I'm hoping this is only temporary until my milk supply gets a little more straightened out. I haven't used a pacifier with her yet as I want to get our latch down perfectly before I do. I was tempted last night when she was marathon nursing, but luckily I didn't know where one was, and now I'm glad we didn't use it.

No tearing this time; yay! I bought some dermoplast just in case, but haven't been as sore with this one as I was with DS.

DS is spending the night at Grandma and Grandpa's house tonight. It's been nice to get the rest, and I'm sure he is having a blast, but I miss him and will be glad to get him back tomorrow. DS is adjusting pretty well. He gets upset when I can't carry him around, and he's had one meltdown over me not carrying him up and down the stairs (he weighs 35 lbs, and I just can't do it right now while recovering,) but that's been our only issue. He adores his baby sister, and has been so sweet and gentle with her, which has been a relief. It's hard to stay down and rest, but when I don't, I can feel it.

My only issue is that my baby doesn't have a name yet! DH was so sure she was going to be a boy that he didn't even really discuss girl names with me. We were going to go with Samantha, but then DH changed his mind. Right now the front runner is Paige, but we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Melissa Wife to DH, Mom to DS (6) and DD (3) We are a homebirthing, no vax, intact, devoutly LDS happy family!

#7 of 54 Old 04-06-2011, 10:45 PM

So great to hear so many of us are doing so well!!! (that was a lot of "so"s!!)  My son is 6 days old, 7 tomorrow.  Can't believe exactly a week ago RIGHT now I got the call from the doctor saying go get checked in at the hospital!  It sure does go fast!  My recovery has been absolutely excellent.  I even went snowboarding yesterday for a few hours between feedings.  My mom is visiting and I feel 100% back to normal.  I'm pretty excited to have recovered so quickly.  Breastfeeding is going good but very painful at times.  I know he's latched on properly.... I think my right breast has a clogged duct and I'm doing everything I can to heal it.  My nipples have chapped areas on them... scabby looking.  I've tried to express milk when he's done and rub it around the nipple but I'm not really sure how to express it.... sometimes I get milk, sometimes I don't.  The nipples don't hurt that bad... it's more so under my arm.... stinging insanely bad until let-down.  This is my first kid so I'm new at this.... anyone know what I'm talking about? 

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#8 of 54 Old 04-06-2011, 11:46 PM

DS2 is 10 days old today. He is doing good, he is a great sleepy baby. Cord is showing signs of coming off soon. He looks at us all the time and smiles...he knows who we are, so cool! Mommy, on the other hand, is coping with csection recovery. I didn't realize how hard it would be. I am just getting to the point where I can get off the couch and bed by myself. Those muscles in my belly are shot. And the numbness is freaky. He just woke up..gotta go.
#9 of 54 Old 04-07-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by othersomethings View Post

We're 17 days out. So far so good, I think.

His cord fell off at 3 days, which was unexpected to me. But since then his belly button has had some bloody "crust" in it all the time. I haven't seen any bright red blood or whatever...but it's been two weeks and still doing this. Is that weird?

Any body done any babywearing lately? I've carried my little guy in the ringsling one day, and in my SSC twice...so far I love it. Can't wait to make a new wrap and put him on my back!

My son's cord fell off fairly early -- on the 5th morning, and he's now 2 weeks old.  He also has a little bloody crust or ooze in there, and we saw the pediatrician yesterday for the 2 week visit.  She examined it and said it looked fine. I'm just waiting to bathe him until it looks dry in there.

My Moby is giving me trouble (this little guy's head is so wobbly!), but we've taken him out two or three times in the Ergo (w/infant insert) with greater success.

I can't wait for him to be able to hold up his own head.  That's where a lot of my FTM nervousness comes into play.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#10 of 54 Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 PM

My baby is two weeks today and is perfect in every way...except for one...breastfeeding!  Her umbilical cord fell off at 3 days, she's not a fussy baby, she's got the most amazing quiet alert phase, she's easy to calm, she's cute as a button, her labour was amazing, but feeding is the worst part of it all.

She latched while I had colostrum, but as soon as my milk came in, it all turned to mush.  My breasts got pretty engorged and she would no longer latch.  She also dropped 10% of her weight - from 6lbs11oz to 6lbs - in the first three days.  We were really worried about her weight, so we made an appointment with a lactation consultant last Tuesday.  She lot my milk flowing again, got the baby to latch, and we had an awesome feeding.  As soon as we got home, it all fell apart as we couldn't replicate the success.  After 1h30m of the baby screaming because she was so hungry, and me bawling because I was so hormonal and feeling awful about not being able to get her to latch, we caved and went to buy some formula.  My baby goes from 0 to pissed off in the hunger department.  You have less than 10 seconds to get her to feed.  But she also started to hate the breast during this time and would scream and scream any time she was put into a feeding position.  So we decided to give her 1/2oz to 1oz of formula to calm her down and then breastfeed.  This worked for about 24 hours and then she began to refuse the breast. Off we went to the lactation consultant again.

When we got there, it was clear to the consultant what the issue was - I had mastitis.  She tried to strip the breast of the infection, and I also had two plugged ducts, she just couldn't get it all out after 1 hour of trying.  She sent us home with a feeding plan and a breast pump.  The infection didn't clear within 48 hours on its own, and I had to go get antibiotics.  My milk supply totally tanked from 2 oz per feeding to less than 1/4 oz.  Over the last week we've been trying to rebuild my supply.  I'm now able to pump 1-2 oz per session.  The baby gets a bottle of breast milk followed by a bottle of formula to top her up.  The mastitis made it impossible to breastfeed as the baby wanted nothing to do with the boob.

Within the last 48 hours, she'll go near the breast, but she won't latch.  We try at each feeding and she's getting closer.  At least now I can get my nipple in her mouth.  She just won't suck and get a latch that sticks. 

Everything else is great with the exception of this issue.  I'm happy that pumping is an option so she'll still get breast milk, but after 7 days, I'm starting to get sick of being tied to my pump.  I'd like to have a mobile and portable baby who I can feed upon demand!

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#11 of 54 Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 PM

Gumshoegirl...what a trial!!! so sorry you're dealing with this! I hope you're healing and that your breastfeeding relationship can get off the ground soon!

Julieee...I'm not going to make any assumptions about you of course, but I want to share something. My sister just had a baby recently and pushed herself to be active as soon as possible. I asked if she knew why it's recommended for post-partum women to take it easy (she was complaining about no one letting her drive.) and she said she had no idea. So I explained to her that when you are bleeding after giving birth, it's not exactly the same as when you bleed from having your period...the bleeding is originating from the site where the placenta was attached to your uterine wall. When it detaches, it literally leaves an open wound, and that is what takes time to heal. It's not too dissimilar from having a major abdominal surgery, only the wound isn't visible. The shrinking of your uterus is what helps close off those blood vessels, which happens mostly within the first few days, but not completely which is why it still takes time. 

That made some sense to her and she slowed it down after that. Just want to encourage you to let your body do the healing it needs to before getting back to normal! Your baby needs a strong mama in the upcoming weeks and overdoing it in the first two weeks can prolong the healing or complicate matters down the road. How awesome that you're feeling so great though! I feel like I've bounced back a lot faster from this birth than my first one. Funny how every one is different even from birth to birth.

Kalamoos...I have actually been using goldenseal, but the "wound" area is tucked away inside his belly button to where it isn't visible, and I'm actually kind of scared to "open" the folds of the skin to get the goldenseal right on it, for fear of opening something up and causing fresh bleeding. The goldenseal powder otherwise doesn't seem to be making any difference and that's the only reason i can think of why...that it's not actually "getting to" the wound because I'm a fraidy-cat.

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#12 of 54 Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

gumshoegirl- sorry you're having such a hard time with the breastfeeding.  I hope it gets better for you soon.  We aren't having nearly as much trouble as you but even still with just the painful latch (which thankfully is getting MUCH better) I can see why people get so frustrated.  I had it easy with my first 2 and told DH the other day, if this was our 1st baby I would be ready to give up the pain is so much.  I admire you and all the other women who stick through all of the breastfeeding challenges.  It really will get easier! 

Julie- can't believe you were snowboarding already!  you're a rock star!! 

My midwife said she wanted at least 1 week of me doing nothing.  So I've taken that to heart.  ;-)  Last time I had a baby I also had dd1 who was 17months old and I had practically no help.  Plus it was Christmas time.  I really have very few memories of dd2 as an infant.  This time I am pretty much just holding and cuddling him and letting DH take care of the girls and the house.  Guess I'm probably ready to start integrating back into the real world now.  I think we are going to go to the farmers market this weekend.  I'll just put the baby in the sling and hopefully no one will touch him.  I feel ready to get out but not sure if he is!!

speaking of slings- Neuro, you may find the moby isn't your thing.  People who love the moby seem to think everyone should love the moby.  but i never could get the hang of it.  I always prefered the pouch sling (which the moby lovers usually can't stand) I'm using the baby k'tan right now and for the brief time I've used it I have liked it.  You'll probably notice that as baby gets bigger you will go to different slings for different reasons or trips. 

Luke is one week old now, jaundice is getting much better.  He's also starting to be a little more alert and have more awake times.  still has his cord but it looks like its starting to seperate a little.  I haven't done anything to it so far but may use a little alcohol on it now to help it dry.  I don't like it dangly.  I'm still feeling kinda emotional/hormonal but hopefully some fresh air and sunshine this weekend will help. 

#13 of 54 Old 04-08-2011, 08:24 PM

Sorry to hear about the nursing troubles gumshoegirl.  That is no fun. What is important is you are getting your baby fed and trying to resolve the issue.

We're 4 days pp, doing well. I'm sore and full of milk but nursing is good - except that DD gets so worked up right as she's latching on, and can't realize the nipple is there. She goes from cold to hot quickly with her temper, haha.  She gets soo red!  But she guzzles the milk down once she realizes it's there. I'm not quite sure how to help her as I work to get her on quickly, unless I could try getting her there with earlier cues. But, she's usually asleep, wakes up and immediately starts crying, ready to eat. I don't let her fuss and wait until she's really showing hunger signs.

Her cord stump got bumped somehow so a raw (but not enflamed) part is showing, I hope it didn't hurt her. Otherwise it seems to be drying up well.

She has a fluid filled bump on the side of her head from the birth that seems to be going down some. It may take a while. DH had one at birth that his mom said took about a month to go away completely. DD is set to see her pedi next Thursday so she can look at it, and our midwife (also an ND) will look at it again at our pp check on Tuesday.

DH took 2yo DS out today to see the Space Needle (his favorite thing - "bee-beedle") so that was good, and DS has had a better day today, his good nap this afternoon probably helped.

Off to go get babe from my mom to nurse...

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#14 of 54 Old 04-09-2011, 05:31 AM

Gumshoegirl, that sounds rough.  I'm sorry you're going through that.

I think I've given my little guy a cold.  I have had a lot more mucous, especially in my throat, which has made me cough and a little hoarse.  Now, as of yesterday afternoon.  I really think his cry is sounding hoarse.  But he's still eating well and breathing fine, so I'm trying not to worry too much.  Especially since it's the weekend and the pediatricians' office is closed. 

Going through even these seemingly little things for the first time stresses me out!

CookAMH, mine gets bright red with nursing frustration, too!  I have to be really patient sometimes, as he freaks out just before getting to the nipple!  ;)

#15 of 54 Old 04-09-2011, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieee View Post

I've tried to express milk when he's done and rub it around the nipple but I'm not really sure how to express it.... sometimes I get milk, sometimes I don't.  The nipples don't hurt that bad... it's more so under my arm.... stinging insanely bad until let-down.  This is my first kid so I'm new at this.... anyone know what I'm talking about? 

I'm not sure.  I don't want to tell you it's "normal" and have something going on but I feel like I remember the sensation you're talking about and I never had an infection or anything.  It's been 9 years but I do remember a few days of stinging just before let down.  If it's any consolation I don't think it lasted too long.  

As far as hand expressing milk, that's another thing that will probably come in time (though I imagine all bodies are different and some will be able to get milk, others not so much).  If you really want some for your breasts I may try to get some mid-feeding and save it in a little cup for after nursing.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#16 of 54 Old 04-09-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieee View Post

I think my right breast has a clogged duct and I'm doing everything I can to heal it.  My nipples have chapped areas on them... scabby looking.  I've tried to express milk when he's done and rub it around the nipple but I'm not really sure how to express it.... sometimes I get milk, sometimes I don't.  The nipples don't hurt that bad... it's more so under my arm.... stinging insanely bad until let-down.  This is my first kid so I'm new at this.... anyone know what I'm talking about? 

Is it like a tingly type stinging feeling?  Do you massage your breast all over as he nurses? I've been doing that to try avoid any clogged ducts and to encourage letdown as her drinking slows, and will probably keep it up, just so the various ducts get emptied. I would think that tingly feeling is ok. The scabs are normal. Airing your nipples out after a nursing to let them dry well will help. And not using plastic lined pads. Lansinoh has been helpful in the past (and is now my favorite chapstick).  I have two firm spots on each breast that are tender, but I think that is normal.  If your breasts are still pretty full feeling or tender, you can ice them. I did that on the right side for a little bit last night.

If you can, try a variety of positions too to engage different ducts. (crossover, side lying, football hold -  I need to start doing that last one, we do the first two interchangeably).

Today DD is fussier and spitting up some. I had a mocha yesterday, garlic and sausage so maybe it's all of those affecting her today. I've been adding kefir back in and a few bites of lacto fermented foods so hopefully that'll help her.  She's getting a good bit of milk and pooping really well.  She's 5 days old and has some seedy poops now and no more tarry poops. She seems to be handling the flow really well. DS would choke a lot and we had to work on that but she seems to be great. She still has this funny thing where she'll be sleeping and start to stir a little and then just full on hysterics. She roots and wants the breast but can't realize it's there. I did give her a paci today to console her during diaper changes and she took it. I feel like her latch is really good but will keep an eye on it.

My butt is still sore, it's frustrating to sit and have all the pressure on that area. I'm sitting on the boppy now though which helps take some pressure off. I know I just need to wait to heal though.

#17 of 54 Old 04-09-2011, 12:04 PM

We're 16 days out here but we've only been home for 9 days since DD3 spent a week in the special care nursery. Things are going well. Baby makes me nervous since she's so much smaller than my other ones. She only gained an ounce her first week home so we have another weight check next week just in case. The dr said that's normal for many NICU babies because they're so exhausted from their ordeal that they sleep more than nurse when they get home. She did sleep a ton that first week. She's just starting to wake up and nurse more during the night. She does eat well and has tons of wet and dirty diapers. I'd love to see a big jump in her weight this week though!

Hormones have been getting the best of me a bit. This is our last baby and it's hard to think we won't have another but my body just can't handle another. I know that logically but it's still hard to think we won't have more. I'll just randomly start crying and it's usually when I start thinking she is our last. Gotta love those hormones.

So tired here too. She actually sleeps pretty well right next to me but I don't sleep deeply so I'm wiped out.

All in all we're doing really well! I'm just trying to be patient and take my time getting back into the groove of things!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#18 of 54 Old 04-09-2011, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

how much does your baby sleep??  I'm trying to figure out if I have a normal newborn or if he's overly sleepy due to jaundice.  He's still pretty yellow but neither the ped. or mw were worried about it.  He always wakes every 2-3 hours to eat and we have a TON of wet and poopy diapers a day.  but other than that he sleeps. and sleeps.  and sleeps.  We are starting to get little periods of active/alert time but overall mostly its just sleep eat poop.  i know thats normal for a newborn bit its been so long since I've had a newborn!!! 

#19 of 54 Old 04-09-2011, 02:53 PM

DD3 sleeps a lot too. She wakes up every 2 1/2-3 hours to eat, has 20ish minutes of wake time after she eats then konks right back out. She might be a little older than some of the babies here though. If you're concerned about jaundice can they check his bilirubin levels just to be sure?

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#20 of 54 Old 04-09-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat View Post

how much does your baby sleep??  I'm trying to figure out if I have a normal newborn or if he's overly sleepy due to jaundice.  He's still pretty yellow but neither the ped. or mw were worried about it.  He always wakes every 2-3 hours to eat and we have a TON of wet and poopy diapers a day.  but other than that he sleeps. and sleeps.  and sleeps.  We are starting to get little periods of active/alert time but overall mostly its just sleep eat poop.  i know thats normal for a newborn bit its been so long since I've had a newborn!!! 

Our guy eats every 1 1/2 to 2 hours during the night, but can sleep more during the day -- up to 3 or 4 hours at the most, though not that long very often.  When he was jaundiced he was a little sleepier and there was one day (maybe day 4 or so) I was really worried about him because he basically slept all day and I couldn't even wake him up for long to eat.  But he's waking up more often as he gets older (he's 16 days old now and the jaundice has resolved on its own).  My midwife and pediatrician said that peeing and pooping help clear out the jaundice, so as long as your guy is filling those diapers he should be doing well.

#21 of 54 Old 04-09-2011, 07:06 PM

This sounds like DD, five days old. Not super yellow but def having some jaundice and all the rest of what you said. MIL worries from afar and would have me put her in sunlight and probably learn her bilirubin levels, but I'm not worried. It'll run its course with breastfeeding.

Quote:

#22 of 54 Old 04-09-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

he is 9 days old today and the jaundice hasn't gotten worse but it is not getting much better yet either.  The pediatrician said on Wed. that he wasn't worried as long as he was peeing, pooing, and eating and that jaundice is a normal part of being a breastfed newborn.  He definitely does all of those things and I never have to wake him to eat he wakes up every 2-3 hrs and maybe once or twice has gone 4 hrs but not usually and sometimes he is eating every hour.  I guess I'm really not too concerned I just don't remember the girls sleeping quite so much.  i'm sure in a couple weeks I'll be wishing for a few hours of sleep! 

#23 of 54 Old 04-10-2011, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Our little girl is continuing to do well. My engirgement is starting to go down, except at night when she goes 3-4 hours without nursung. Of course, I'm not going to complain at that because she is sleeping for 3-4 hours, then waking up to nurse for 45 minutes to an hour, and then sleeping for another 3-4 hours. My DS didn't sleep that well at night until he was over a year old!

Melissa Wife to DH, Mom to DS (6) and DD (3) We are a homebirthing, no vax, intact, devoutly LDS happy family!

#24 of 54 Old 04-14-2011, 10:42 AM

OUCH! I'm still in pain from sutures/tearing - 9 days pp. Anyone else, how long does it last? I have only been on my feet a little here and there, mostly sitting and laying down. I feel it even laying down :(. Ice is helping a lot, I had slacked off on that. Regular arnica and ibuprofen and keeping my legs together.

When will it feel better? By two weeks?

Took DD to the chiro yesterday....am soooooo glad we could get in. Chiro said DD was WAY out in so many places from the precipious birth and worked on her for a while. We go back tomorrow. DD already seems calmer after the one adjustment, and chiro wants to see her 2x a week for a month. She has a cephala-hemotoma (sp way off) on her head that is affecting a lot things, caused by the birth.

#25 of 54 Old 04-14-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

do you have a health food store you can get to (have dh get to?) I would recommend earth mama angel baby mama bottom balm.  its amazing.  very soothing and helps speed healing.  the whole foods and another place here sell it and I've actually seen it at babies r us.  you could call around and ask if anyone carries it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

OUCH! I'm still in pain from sutures/tearing - 9 days pp. Anyone else, how long does it last? I have only been on my feet a little here and there, mostly sitting and laying down. I feel it even laying down :(. Ice is helping a lot, I had slacked off on that. Regular arnica and ibuprofen and keeping my legs together.

When will it feel better? By two weeks?

Took DD to the chiro yesterday....am soooooo glad we could get in. Chiro said DD was WAY out in so many places from the precipious birth and worked on her for a while. We go back tomorrow. DD already seems calmer after the one adjustment, and chiro wants to see her 2x a week for a month. She has a cephala-hemotoma (sp way off) on her head that is affecting a lot things, caused by the birth.

#26 of 54 Old 04-18-2011, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

so here we are 8 days PP. I am super emotional. I cry at the drop of a hat but really mostly because I am happy. I feel restless and stressed and it would be so much better if i had an antiseptic house... ahhh a dream however with 4 boys my house will never be clean enough for my liking. not being able to do anything for 2 weeks per MW's orders. I have a history of PPH issues so were trying to be cautious.its driving me crazy because the rest of the house is filled with men, they dont clean like I do!

Gracie is super mellow and super sweet. she squawks when shes hungry but as soon as she is in my arms she settles. I do make sure she eats every 2.5-3 hrs during the day so that if she is going to give me a good sleep stretch its at night. so far we get a good 4 hr shot once a night. She nurses really well and  loves to snuggle with me. I haven't really put her down much really. I like holding her. People have been coming by bringing adorable girl clothes for her. I can't believe some of the stuff. I am a very boring dresser and I like black,blue,Grey,brown and white. this is going to be a huge learning experience for me. I am freaked out. I have to learn to do hair and match outfits and other such girlie things. UGHH i am not excited. ok maybe i am a littleshy.gif i put her in a girlie outfit and it made me really smile. maybe I did always want a daughter and just said I didn't. who knows. this time I wanted twin girls and I at least got one. thank you lord

she also has a congenital pigmented nevi which is a type of birthmark with a high rate of malignancy. its not huge (about the size of a dime) she will have to have it removed before 6 months old. so it disrupts her hairline as little as possible. that way as an adult she wont have to worry about it. Freaks me out and I am still researching my options or rather grace's options 

I already want another one. so odd... not that I would end up with one before a year so that grace has milk and is healthy. It's so weird to feel this way. I am absolutely in love with her. shes so perfect and sweet and mellow. I'm almost waiting for chaos to ensue

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#27 of 54 Old 04-18-2011, 05:04 PM

Hang in there kittn. The emotional side of things get better. I'm 3 1/2 weeks out and I'm just starting to feel like ME. Girl clothes are so fun! I'm not frilly at all but I do enjoy dressing my girls up!

#28 of 54 Old 04-18-2011, 05:05 PM

Aww Kittn @ pp hormones :). I think mine have passed, DD will be 2 weeks tomorrow. My mom leaves tomorrow and I was worried about it b/c of pain from tearing, but I've noticed some improvement in the last day or so, and this week, a friend is taking 2yo DS for the day, and DH is going to take Weds off, and he has a half day Friday, then it's the weekend. I think by Monday of next week, I should be able to comfortably have both kids all day and get DS his meals, diaper changes, etc.

#29 of 54 Old 04-18-2011, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

i think the hormones are starting to settle a little bit with me.  I still get a bit emotional, though. 

dd2 is STILL sick.  we took her to dr today and he said that she is fine.  she's been running a temp on and off for a week.  we only treated it once when it got up to 104.  and it just randomly comes and goes but now she is coughing her brains out and it freaks me out big time with the baby.  I swear I wasn't this paranoid about the girls being exposed to stuff when they were babies! 

met with the sitter we will be using for baby when I go back to work.  I can't believe hes only 2 weeks old and I already have my back to work time scheduled.  fortunately its not til the end of June!  anyway- she seems great and we really liked her and she lives in our neighborhood.  now I guess I can slow down and just enjoy the next 2 months! 

kittn- honestly- i could have another one, too!  we won't because of our age, finances, space, etc but when I look at him i just think- I could totally do this again!  `

#30 of 54 Old 04-18-2011, 07:27 PM

this balm helped me tremendously too! I still have some left from last time and I'm so grateful.

Quote:

do you have a health food store you can get to (have dh get to?) I would recommend earth mama angel baby mama bottom balm.  its amazing.  very soothing and helps speed healing.  the whole foods and another place here sell it and I've actually seen it at babies r us.  you could call around and ask if anyone carries it. 

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page