He's Here!! Our first AMAZING home birth!!! (ETA birth story) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our little boy arrived yesterday at 6:30ish pm (I haven't looked at the "official time" yet) after about 20 hours of slow gentle labor; my contractions were never closer than 6-7 minutes apart.  Our home birth team was amazing; the birth itself was amazing.  We are all on cloud nine over here and feeling great! 

No name yet, but he was WAY bigger than I expected!! 8lbs. 14oz, 21.5" with a 14.5" head.  

ETA: Birth Story

Friday April 8th, DH and I went to the wedding rehearsal of two friends; DH was supposed to be a groomsman on Saturday.  Later we went to dinner with the rest of the wedding party.  Towards the end of the night, I noticed that the contractions I had been feeling for a couple of weeks were coming at pretty regular intervals (~ every 10 minutes).   We left around 9:30 and headed home.  Once we were home, I jumped in the bath to see if I could get things to slow down.  I thought that maybe I had just been on my feet too long.  We went to bed early, and for most of the night, I noticed that I was having a contraction every 5-6 minutes and that they were increasing in intensity.  We called our midwife Paula at about 6:00am on Saturday to let her know things were happening.  She stopped by to drop-off her supplies and get things set-up and checked me for progress.  I was only about 3cm dilated, and things were going well, so Paula left us to labor on our own.  The whole day Saturday went by pretty quickly, I continued to have contractions every 5-7 minutes.  My labor was very manageable; it was so similar to DD's!  I spent the day walking around, rocking on the birth ball, on hands and knees, etc…  My mom kept DD entertained for the day, so it was nice to just hang out in “laborland “ all day with just DH and myself.  Our midwives Paula and Diana came back a little after 2:00pm and finished getting everything organized for the birth.  We were a little doubtful that I had made much progress since my contractions were still about 6-7 minutes apart, so Paula checked me, and we were excited to discover that I was 6cm dilated.   Paula and Diana hung-out and let DH and I continue to labor on our own.  Around 4:00, things were picking up in intensity, so I had DH call our friend. and birth photographer, Jeni to come over.  I was chatting with Jeni once she got to the house, and she asked how far along I was; I said I didn’t know and asked Paula to check me again.  When she told me that I was 9cm with almost no cervix, I was elated!  We did a little rebozo sifting to try to get the baby into a little better position for birth, and then I labored on my own while DH started filling the bathtub.  I relaxed in the tub for a while before getting out to go pee one last time while waiting for the pushing urge to begin.  That time in the tub was very relaxing; I was crying a little while telling everyone that I was so excited to be meeting my baby soon, but I was also sad that DD was no longer going to be my baby!  I felt like I was making really good progress on the toilet, so I stayed there until I really started to push.  I then got in the tub and got to work.  The pushing phase this time around seemed so much more intense than it was with DD! I pushed for about 45 minutes (that was with large breaks in between contactions).  When Paula asked how I was feeling, I laughed and told her that I was feeling like I wanted to get this baby out soon!  Once I had decided that enough was enough, I let out a few roaring pushes, and our baby boy slid right into Daddy’s hands.   We let the cord finish pulsing before DH cut it, and I got out of the tub and moved to the bed to deliver the placenta.   Paula was surprised to see that I had absolutely no tearing at all after pushing out a large 14.5” head with a nuchal hand (same as DD!).   We all hung-out on the bed afterward while Diana showed us the placenta (apparently it was gigantic as well).   Soon after DH went to get DD (she had been playing outside); as soon as she came into the room she yelled “baby!”.  She was smitten with him from the beginning and had kisses for all three of us.  I started nursing baby brother, and DD decided that she needed to join in, so we had our first tandem nursing session.  The midwives finished-up the newborn assessment and we were all surprised when Paula announced that the little man measured in at 21.5” and weighed 8lbs 14oz.  Once we were all cleaned and dressed, we went to the living room and pigged-out on a huge taco meal that my mom had prepared; she even baked a birthday cake!!  After dinner, we all climbed into bed and fell asleep for our first time as a family of four!  The birth was the most amazing and empowering experience of my life, and I couldn’t have imagined it being any more perfect!  

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 AM

Congratulations!  I can't wait to hear the birth story! 

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

love.gifCongrats!

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Old 04-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Congrats!!   Yay for a slow mellow labor and a happy mama!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 04-10-2011, 11:12 AM

Congrats, allical!  Looking forward to your birth story, baby name and baby pix!

Married to Chris (4/07),  WOHM to DSD Sam wave.gif (2/01), missing our angels Phoebe angel3.gif (3/10) and Ronan angel2.gif (4/11).

Old 04-10-2011, 12:02 PM

joy.gifCONGRATS TO YOU!!!  joy.gif

can't wait to hear the whole story and see some pics

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
Old 04-10-2011, 01:16 PM

congratulations! Sounds like an amazing birth. Enjoy your babymoon!

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
Old 04-10-2011, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

congrats!  I am so excited for what a wonderful labor and delivery you had.  Can't wait to hear details! :-)

Loving wife to DH  mama to DS1 3/13/09 , DS2 4/20/11   and DS3 1/12/13 Professional and attempting to  while     
Old 04-10-2011, 07:48 PM

Congrats!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 AM

Congrats!! Happy babymoon!!flowersforyou.gif

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 PM

Congratulations!!

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:19 PM

Congratulations!!!!!   joy.gif

Old 04-11-2011, 03:22 PM

Fantastic!  Enjoy your babymoon!

'09   
Old 04-11-2011, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

bumping for birth story addition

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 AM

that sounds like such a great birth!!  and you got out of going to the wedding!!! LOL!

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
Old 04-12-2011, 09:37 AM

What a fantastic story.  Tearing up here!  Just lovely.  Such a wonderful day for your family.  joy.gif

'09   
Old 04-12-2011, 09:32 PM

What a wonderful story!  Congrats! joy.gif

Old 04-14-2011, 09:28 AM

Sounds like a wonderful labor, congrats!

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
Old 04-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

OH my goodness I'm in tears girl!!! That's such an awesome story, I'm SO SO SOOOO happy for you. What an amazing event it was, I"m sure!! <3 <3

Congrats again!!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

User Tag List