Our Easter egg hatched - Mothering Forums
April 2011 > Our Easter egg hatched
Blanca78's Avatar Blanca78 03:37 PM 04-28-2011

Eliza Lucille was born April 24 (Easter Sunday) at 9:53 p.m., two days before her due date. 7 lbs 10 oz and 19 and 3/4 inches long. Overall, it was a good experience. Labored at home for several hours with the help of our doula. When we arrived at the hospital, I was at 5 cm, and the hospital was nothing like the controlling medicalized horror show I'd been dreading--it was quiet, peaceful, and the staff was super respectful of my birth plan. That said, it was a long labor and I did end up getting an epidural, which is probably the best thing I could have done in my situation--I was throwing up from pain and had been up since the previous morning (contractions kept me awake all night) and still only at 6 cm. So after 24 hours of labor the epidural let me rest and just feel more relaxed. It didn't numb me completely--took away the contraction pain but I could still feel and move my legs just fine. Five hours later, I was complete and ready to push. We waited until the baby was +2 station so she didn't have far to go. I think I pushed for about an hour, maybe a little more, and then here she was! Three small tears that the doctor stitched up. We managed a little breastfeeding right away--she came out screaming and eager to suck.

Here's a photo! Postpartum adjustment has been rough--we've had some nursing difficulties but things are getting easier as my milk is coming in and we're both getting the hang of things. It is overwhelming but even short naps make me feel like I can do this after all.

Eliza on changing table.jpg

StarCat's Avatar StarCat 03:51 PM 04-28-2011

what a cutie!!!  I'm so happy for you!!  enjoy your sweet girl!

MomtoJunebugs's Avatar MomtoJunebugs 04:48 PM 04-28-2011

So cute! I love her pants. :) Congrats to you!!

CookAMH's Avatar CookAMH 05:46 PM 04-28-2011

Congrats! She's a cutie! Good call on the epi. I think that's what they're there for. 

organicviolin's Avatar organicviolin 08:03 PM 04-28-2011

congrats!

Oregonicmama's Avatar Oregonicmama 08:16 PM 04-28-2011

congrats mama!  she is precious!!

Neuromancer's Avatar Neuromancer 06:35 AM 04-29-2011

I'm so glad to see this!  Congratulations!  She looks so sweet, and the name is lovely, too.   I'm glad to hear you had such a good experience at the hospital.    Keep taking those naps!

bleumoose's Avatar bleumoose 06:36 AM 04-29-2011

Congratulations! What a beautiful girl!

elonwy's Avatar elonwy 08:58 PM 04-29-2011

YAYY! Blanca that is awesome!!joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

columbusmomma's Avatar columbusmomma 08:48 AM 05-02-2011

Congratulations Blanca! I was wondering if you had your baby yet! She's beautifulbiggrinbounce.gif

Blanca78's Avatar Blanca78 06:35 PM 05-03-2011

Thank you all! CookAMH--thanks for the epi support. I was conflicted about it, as my plan had been to avoid one, but I really think it was right for me. Still, it was hard in the moment not to be afraid i was denying myself some experience.

DH is so cute--keeps singing the Oak Ridge Boys' "Elvira" except as "Eliza." He's really in love with her--beautiful to watch.

somegirl99's Avatar somegirl99 11:01 PM 05-21-2011

Finally saw this, have been looking for it!  Congrats mama, you did a great job, she is beautiful. :)

Blanca78's Avatar Blanca78 05:52 AM 05-22-2011

Thanks, sweetie! It's so nice to know you've been thinking of me. Hope you and little M are well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post

Finally saw this, have been looking for it!  Congrats mama, you did a great job, she is beautiful. :)

floiejo2's Avatar floiejo2 10:43 AM 05-29-2011

Congratulations! Our little ones share a birthday, mine was born on Easter at 8:58am.

Up