And.....we're back to the hospital =( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-03-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS2 Eli was born  the 26th and went home from the hospital on thursday  28th everything looked good and his jaundice levels were low. We started noticing that he was yellowing around the nose and eyes on friday evening and then come saturday when he had his check up doctor said he looked quite yellow so off to the hospital we went. Got him check and he was a 16.2, back the next day for a check and he was 17.4 then the following day so Mon he was 19.2, starting to get dangerously high.

His doc reccomended we treat him at the hospital which I was objective too, BUT it was a better option the treating at home as we would have to drive back up everyday for a check and with the blanket at home it could take a week or more for his level to come down. I was perfectly fine with a speedied recovery in the hospital. but greensad.gif my poor baby.

So here we are on tuesday and his level is now at 13.2 and we need to be 12 or below to go home, so everyone send me some good vibes and pray that at 6am when they test again his level is under 12 I CANNOT WAIT to go home! I feel so bad because my DS1 who is 3 is at home and I've been trying to pump enough milk for Eli so that I can go home to spend time with DS1 Wyatt as well as be here for Eli talk about stressful! Thank god I have a loving DH who has taken over all the home care and even has been doing laundryorngbiggrin.gif

The hospital has been so accomendating to me its great! I get to stay for free in a room and he gets to room in with me with his little tanning bed. I'm trying to make the best of it but its so hard to be here. I can't hug and snuggle with him its nurse and back to the bed....makes me sad but he is a trooper and does not seem to mind at all thank goodness!   

Mommabfinfant.gif of DS1 (9/07)jammin.gif and DS2 (4/11)babyboy.gif and blessed with my wonderful DH of 6yrssuperhero.gif     
#2 of 12 Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 PM

Aww hug2.gif Glad his levels are coming down. Hang in there, you'll be home soon and back to normal life.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#3 of 12 Old 05-06-2011, 11:43 AM

Hoping you're home! 

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#4 of 12 Old 05-06-2011, 12:10 PM

((hugs)) to you!  we also spent a night at the hospital with my son when he was 5 days old for jaundice levels.  we had tried to treat at home with the blanket, but at our daily test, the numbers went up instead of down, so the doctor recommended we go to the hospital instead (they had gone above 20).  

I hope your hospital time is brief and as stress-free as possible!  i had to do a lot of fighting while there to continue to EBF--they wanted me to supplement and give an IV, but i was able to convince them (after they sent in 3 different doctors!) that i really was making enough milk.  bennett's levels were going down at each test, and he had PLENTY of wet diapers...and he ended up gaining weight while we were there, too :)  

it is so hard to sit there and not be able to hold them. hug2.gif hoping you get to go home today!!!

Mama to my sweet toddler DS1 (12/19/08), new arrival DS2 (04/18/11) homebirth.jpg  and married to my best friend for 6 years. 
#5 of 12 Old 05-06-2011, 09:13 PM

How stressful :(  I hope you're home now and that you're back to snuggling your little one. 

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#6 of 12 Old 05-07-2011, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, We are home now got to come home later Wed and I have been a nervous wreck since I keep asking everyone if he looks yellow again haha. Our hospital stay was good for the most part just glad to be home!

Mommabfinfant.gif of DS1 (9/07)jammin.gif and DS2 (4/11)babyboy.gif and blessed with my wonderful DH of 6yrssuperhero.gif     
#7 of 12 Old 05-07-2011, 08:54 AM

I haven't been a big poster here - but have appreciated following the due date club threads. Our baby was due April 26th but came at 40 w and 6 d. 

I was happy to see this thread - we are sitting at the children's hospital with our son (born on May 2nd)- his bili levels got too high even with light therapy at home. We came in yesterday and will hopefully leave tomorrow if his levels go down and stay down. 

It's hard to hear the doctors say its the lack of fluids that kept his rates high and led us here. We struggled with latch after he was born and we were encouraged to supplement with formula but hand expressed colostrum and pumped at soon as my milk came in (and fed via a syringe). We have figured out latching for the most part and now he is a champion nurser and have even perfected some gymnastics to feed him while on the light therapy bed. Things are progressing positively and I am so glad we are taking care of what could be a bigger issue, but it is hard to feel like I am judged that I could've done something to prevent all of this medical intervention (after a natural birth center delivery). 

#8 of 12 Old 05-07-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracylee View Post

I haven't been a big poster here - but have appreciated following the due date club threads. Our baby was due April 26th but came at 40 w and 6 d. 

I was happy to see this thread - we are sitting at the children's hospital with our son (born on May 2nd)- his bili levels got too high even with light therapy at home. We came in yesterday and will hopefully leave tomorrow if his levels go down and stay down. 

It's hard to hear the doctors say its the lack of fluids that kept his rates high and led us here. We struggled with latch after he was born and we were encouraged to supplement with formula but hand expressed colostrum and pumped at soon as my milk came in (and fed via a syringe). We have figured out latching for the most part and now he is a champion nurser and have even perfected some gymnastics to feed him while on the light therapy bed. Things are progressing positively and I am so glad we are taking care of what could be a bigger issue, but it is hard to feel like I am judged that I could've done something to prevent all of this medical intervention (after a natural birth center delivery). 

DO NOT feel like this is your fault, my son has been an excellent nurser and eating well had lots of pees and poos and still became severely jaundice. The hospital is the best and quickest route as hard as it is to be in there! Sending good vibes your way hope you guys are home soon!

#9 of 12 Old 05-08-2011, 05:52 AM

Glad to hear your DS is doing better.  I can relate to the whole hospital thing.  DD was admitted to the NICU short after being born due to low O2 saturation.  Turns out she somehow developed pneumonia.  The guilt I felt thinking it was something I did.  She's doing so much better now and will probably be home in a few days. 

We're having latching issues too, so I've been pumping for her.  I just hope she can learn to breastfeed. 

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#10 of 12 Old 05-08-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracylee View Post

hug2.gif  You're doing the best you can mama

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#11 of 12 Old 05-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Thanks, mamas, for the support! We are now home. I hate to fight the resident last night on formula again - we ended up having to pump and bottlefeed so they could have a better sense of his input and output, although he spit up a lot of what he was given (of course because he didn't have to work for it). He did start pooping a more mustardy breastmilk poop and his rates dropped enough that they sent us home. I've mixed feelings about the whole situation - its good to be cautious and I would do anything to protect my baby, but I am keenly aware of how inappropriate it is to have an otherwise healthy baby in the hospital - especially one with doctors that don't support or encourage breastfeeding (although one was very supportive and the nurses were awesome).

I am happy to be celebrating Mother's Day at home with the (sleeping) family! My heart goes out to anyone dealing with a health issue with their little ones!

#12 of 12 Old 05-09-2011, 05:38 AM

try not to beat yourself up. sometimes there is nothing we can do as momma's to "fix" things(hard to accept)my DS2 didn't grow well. in fact he was even diagnosed with FTT. the Dr all told me it was because my milk wasn't good enough for him to gain, that I HAD to give formula. (which we did at one point and he projectile vomited it all over the Dr YEEEHAA) even the LC told me I had done all I could and to quit. we didn't quit (it sucked for a long time) and he did start gaining. fast forward 8 years later, he was dx with a growth disorder and his growth pattern was exactly the way it always is for kids with his disorder. I guess my point being sometimes we think its our fault but it very rarely is.  

Annemarie~ married to super hubbysuperhero.gif  ~catholic mom of 4 boys(fencing.gif.17+14)..(ribbonjigsaw.gif.splat.gif7).(.blahblah.gif.5)..(Emmaangel3.gif) Grace Clotilde. 4/10/11 someone new 2/2013

An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page