Aoife Kathleen has arrived! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Aoife Kathleen was born May 3 at 9.32am after a 6 hour labor. She was 7#12 and 19.25" with a tiny wee head. I'm not sure how I baked such a small baby, as both my others were well over 9#! Aoife is an Irish name pronounced ee-fah like Eva with an F instead of a V.

here's the birth story. I tried to make it short and sweet but I'm a detail person so it's longer than I wanted blush.gif

I woke up around 3.30 Tuesday morning with crampy contractions about every 8-10 min. I dozed through them but they were uncomfortable, almost painful, and by 4.30 I needed to get up and move around. The ctx were now every 3-5 min and around 1 min long. Around 5.30 I called our monitrice, who came by 7. Ctx were getting stronger, but weren't hard to get through as long as I relaxed, even though I was starting to vocalize through some of them. Around 745 I threw up. The monitrice suggested a vag check and I agreed. She said I was at least 4cm, probably more, with a bulging bag of waters, and didn't want to risk rupturing to get a more accurate measurement. We all agreed it was time to head to the hospital -- the throwing up was a sign I was getting close.

So we packed the kids into the car and dropped them off at my sister's a mile away and then went to the hospital. I only had one real contraction on the drive (which isn't long, maybe 8 min) thankfully. In triage the nurse checked me and I was 7. I couldn't believe I was that far along, as I was still alert and talking between contractions, with no laborland fuzziness at all. The MW got to our birthing room not long after we did. Now it was maybe 845.

Ctx were getting more intense, but still tolerable with breathing and swaying side to side. Then they got REALLY intense. There were 3 or 4 that I had to fight my way through on the verge of losing it. Baby was moving down and I was getting pushy. Finally at the end of one of these contractions, I was pushing, involuntarily. They didn't check me, there was no way they *could* check me LOL but it was pretty clear I was complete. I got on hands and knees and with just one big push, my water broke and I could feel baby right there on the perineum. I wanted that sensation to go away NOW, but managed to not push with my team's support. Next contraction I pushed her out, head and body at once. She flew out on another wave of fluid, landing on the bed. She came so quickly the MW didn't even catch her. She was born at 9.32. (A nurse later told me that I "decimated the bed" with the amount of fluid that came out LOL)

She had some light meconium, and had trouble starting to breathe so they took her to the warmer, where she finally got going and pinked up. Meanwhile, I was bleeding a lot and MW couldn't figure out why. I hadn't torn too badly and only required 3 stitches. They started pit and eventually the bleeding stopped. it was a great birth and i'm so in awe of this tiny baby girl!

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#2 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a picture:

DSCF0135.jpg

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#3 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 05:48 AM

joy.gifcongrats to you!!joy.gif

sounds like a great birth!!  she's beautiful.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#4 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 AM

Congrats!!! Great story. What a cutie. :)

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#5 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 01:54 PM

Beautiful!  Congrats!!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 PM

congrats!

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#7 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 05:55 PM

Congratulations and welcome to your little girl.

#8 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 PM

Congrats to you!! Welcome little baby!!

#9 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

so wonderful!

love the name

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#10 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 PM

congrats! aoife is my (irish) cousin's name! A lot of her facebook friends are also Aoifes, but I've never met anyone in the US with that name. It's really beautiful. Glad you had such a good experience!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#11 of 14 Old 05-06-2011, 09:29 AM

congratulations! shes adorable!

#12 of 14 Old 05-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Yay, so glad you had your baby finally!  Sounds like it all went well.  Enjoy your babymoon :)

Mummy to DD-8yrs (Jan-04), DS-5yrs (Dec-06) and DS2-19mths (Apr-11). pos.gif #4 EDD July 26 2013

nocirc.giflactivist.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifbfolderchild.gif

#13 of 14 Old 05-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Yay!  So happy for you!  I love her name! joy.gif

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#14 of 14 Old 05-09-2011, 09:11 AM

Congratulations!  Her name is very pretty.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page