How is nursing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2011, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've been through nursing hell and back, but we're on the right track again!  Mastitis, followed by a yeast infection/thrush caused by the antibiotics to treat the mastitis, and then we got the diagnosis of a posterior tongue tie which we're not going to do anything about because she's gaining weight even though feeding isn't entirely comfortable for me. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post
Another question: how long do feedings take for you mamas? Especially at night? Between feeding, changing, calming fussiness, her drifting off and then waking up and wanting to nurse more, I am always up at least an hour for night feedings and often longer than that, sometimes two hours. Is this normal? This time includes her falling asleep in my arms, then carefully swaddling her (she will only stand it if she's asleep already) and transferring her to bed. Then she'll sleep for an hour and a half or two hours (VERY rarely a little more than that) before the process starts all over.

Your baby is still very young, but feedings with my babe at that age would take about 1 hour (that's really how long she was at the breast).  We bed share, so she'd fall asleep while nursing, and then be up about 2 hours later to eat again.  Most feedings at night were 2.5-3 hours apart and we'd usually get one 4 hour stretch.  I usually did a quick diaper change before feeding her.  What you're describing above sounds entirely normal.

Now at 7 weeks, I roll over and put a boob in her mouth and fall right back asleep.  The downside to this because I do fall asleep is that she only gets to nurse on one side at a time.  Her first night feeding is usually around 2-3 am (which is 4 to 5 hours from her last feeding) and then she eats again around 5-6am and then around 7am before we get up for the day.   She stopped pooping at night around 5-6 weeks, so we just put her in a fantastic night diaper (something with a wool cover, a bum genius, or grovia).  We put that on around 10pm and don't have to change her until 6-7am! 

Now I'm getting enough sleep, although it's still not entirely restful as it's broken up.  Now that the babe is 10lbs+, I hope we can start sleeping through the night.  Yay for 5 hours!!!!

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoegirl007 View Post

We've been through nursing hell and back, but we're on the right track again!  Mastitis, followed by a yeast infection/thrush caused by the antibiotics to treat the mastitis, and then we got the diagnosis of a posterior tongue tie which we're not going to do anything about because she's gaining weight even though feeding isn't entirely comfortable for me. 

Your baby is still very young, but feedings with my babe at that age would take about 1 hour (that's really how long she was at the breast).  We bed share, so she'd fall asleep while nursing, and then be up about 2 hours later to eat again.  Most feedings at night were 2.5-3 hours apart and we'd usually get one 4 hour stretch.  I usually did a quick diaper change before feeding her.  What you're describing above sounds entirely normal.

Now at 7 weeks, I roll over and put a boob in her mouth and fall right back asleep.  The downside to this because I do fall asleep is that she only gets to nurse on one side at a time.  Her first night feeding is usually around 2-3 am (which is 4 to 5 hours from her last feeding) and then she eats again around 5-6am and then around 7am before we get up for the day.   She stopped pooping at night around 5-6 weeks, so we just put her in a fantastic night diaper (something with a wool cover, a bum genius, or grovia).  We put that on around 10pm and don't have to change her until 6-7am! 

Now I'm getting enough sleep, although it's still not entirely restful as it's broken up.  Now that the babe is 10lbs+, I hope we can start sleeping through the night.  Yay for 5 hours!!!!

my night sounds an awful lot like yours! sleeps from 8p-11p, then change, nurse side lying while falling back asleep, sleep until 6a (with a dream feed in between) when he wakes with a smile and a dry dipe! smile.gif it's lovely!

blanca, seems pretty normal for 3weeks.... DS was like that in the begin too. then we started cosleeping and night got much better. he also liked to be held constantly and hated swaddling, but after 6weeks of "indulging" him in these preferences he his starting to have times, more and more each day, that he lays happily on his own in his bouncer, on his playmate, or even in his crib under his mobile! hang in there! smile.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 05-16-2011, 05:42 PM

Thanks, Wehrli and GumshoeGirl! Your replies are so helpful. I've been so tired and overwhelmed at times it really helps just to be reassured that what I'm experiencing is normal. Part of what makes night feedings hard is that I'm not good enough at nursing yet to do it without light and sitting up, so I've been going into another room to nurse her so I don't wake DH, who has gone back to work. Learning how to nurse lying down is definitely the next step. We've given it a couple tries but she gets frustrated with positioning after a couple minutes. My doula says once she gets better head/neck control it will get easier. We bedshare but she sleeps in a "Snuggle Nest" thing (we don't have a good mattress/blanket set up for true bedsharing) so I'd have to slide her back up into her little basket. Still, it would be worth it to be able to stay in the dark, lying down, and hopefully she will stop fussing so much when she's older because I don't want her to wake her dad.

A four hour stretch of sleep would be a miracle at this point. Hard to believe how well I can function on one to two hour chunks!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

Thanks, Wehrli and GumshoeGirl! Your replies are so helpful. I've been so tired and overwhelmed at times it really helps just to be reassured that what I'm experiencing is normal. Part of what makes night feedings hard is that I'm not good enough at nursing yet to do it without light and sitting up, so I've been going into another room to nurse her so I don't wake DH, who has gone back to work. Learning how to nurse lying down is definitely the next step. We've given it a couple tries but she gets frustrated with positioning after a couple minutes. My doula says once she gets better head/neck control it will get easier. We bedshare but she sleeps in a "Snuggle Nest" thing (we don't have a good mattress/blanket set up for true bedsharing) so I'd have to slide her back up into her little basket. Still, it would be worth it to be able to stay in the dark, lying down, and hopefully she will stop fussing so much when she's older because I don't want her to wake her dad.

A four hour stretch of sleep would be a miracle at this point. Hard to believe how well I can function on one to two hour chunks!

Glad to be of help.  One more tip came to mind when you mentioned 'dark' that has been vital to our success at nighttime nursing.  Once you've mastered side lying (or sitting up in bed without disturbing DH), our secret ingredient has been a night light.  We purchased this little dandy on a whim for the nursery and it's been in our room the entire time orngbiggrin.gif.  It puts out just enough light so I can see the baby to feed her and sneak peaks at her all night long.

DSC_0039.JPG

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieee View Post

I think we're doing this right, cause Grey is definitely getting bigger, having regular bowl movements and lots of pee.... but it's changed since he was first born so I hope he's not missing his hind milk intake...

When he was first born, it took everything to keep him awake.  I'd strip him down to his bare diaper, even taking that off sometimes!  I knew he finished when he pulled away.  Now that he's older and likes to suck/pull/play, I usually say he's done when he pulls away repeatedly and opens his mouth again trying to find the nipple. It's actually really cute to watch cause he gets this cheesy grin and big eyes and moves his head all over the place until he latches, then lets go after a few sucks.  He never seems upset when we stop... so I'm assuming it's all good?

Sometimes he falls asleep, or slows down sucking.  I can tell when he's just soothing and not actually drinking... so if he just sucks with no drinking, is he done?  I used to let him do that until he pulled away (asleep) but that would take like 45 minutes!!!  Now I stop him when I think he's done and we're nursing only 25 minutes for both sides. 

He's definitely not upset between feedings, so I am sure he's well fed... just wondering if we're missing the hind milk?

Any thoughts?

DS does the same thing here! Its too cute to watch him! Everything you described is exactly what were experiencing here so I am too wondering this!

Mommabfinfant.gif of DS1 (9/07)jammin.gif and DS2 (4/11)babyboy.gif and blessed with my wonderful DH of 6yrssuperhero.gif     
Old 07-09-2011, 07:54 PM

I have been nursing my daughter for 3 months now and she is right on cue with her growth spurts.  We are in the middle of one now and I always find them challenging.  Her sleep patterns have changed just when we got into a groove.  Guess we will find a new groove..haha.  Her nursing has increased from every 2 1/2 hours during the day and every 4 hours at night to every 1 during the day to every 2 at night.  Thankfully she sleeps with me so the night times are not that bad and easy to adjust to.  I always toy with the idea of bottle feeding when we go through spurts.  It goes through my mind that it would be so much easier for ME, easier for ME to go out, for ME to enjoy a cocktail, for ME to have my own body back and then I think of HER and all that ME stuff goes away.  Not to say that bottle feeding in selfish, I bottlefed my first child and did so for anything but selfish reasons.  I just can't think of a reason at this time that bottlefeeding would benefit her more than breast feeding.  She is such a happy baby and it just warms my heart when I look down on her and she is so content.  She is growing like a weed and her development is right on track.  So I will weather this growth spurt storm and next week all will be well. 

black berry pictures erin 555.jpg

User Tag List