How is nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 05-11-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our Dr. confirmed today DD is not tongue tied like her brother was.  Her latch was a little painful at first, the LC said she was using her bottom gum instead of her tongue.  It seems like either I've toughened up or her latch is better.  I think she inherited my overbite which makes it a little hard to grab on at first.  My nursling is doing ok with sharing, she hasn't needed to nurse whenever the baby does, but when she is ready for sleep she is ready to nurse!

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#2 of 36 Old 05-11-2011, 06:57 PM

I had a horrible time wih my first and eventually gave up =( but I am very proud to say DS2 is a nursing champ and its going great! I am so happy this is something I've been praying would work since I became pregnant =) Glad to hear its working out for you. We had a painful latch at first too. Sometimes we still deal with a little ouch here and there but normally if I reposition him it works out great!

Mommabfinfant.gif of DS1 (9/07)jammin.gif and DS2 (4/11)babyboy.gif and blessed with my wonderful DH of 6yrssuperhero.gif     
#3 of 36 Old 05-12-2011, 05:38 AM

He has been my most difficult as far as nursing goes, for sure. 

at first it was painful latch. we resolved that and now he just seems to be nursing ALL the time and he has really fussy time between 8-10 at night where the only thing that helps is walking him.  I am hoping that gets better.  we have had a busy week and been on the go a lot and I think he has had a fore/hind milk imbalance because of all the on the go.  I'm hoping a few chill days at home will help it. 

I am SO worried about going back to work.  That was the doenfall of breastfeeding with both of the girls.  AND my short term disability only covers me til today!!  6 weeks.  I have no more paid days off so I either have to not get paid or go back to work (think I'm going to do another post about it to get some advice!)

anyway.  I really want to EBF to at least 1 year this time and hoping that I can be successful at that!

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#4 of 36 Old 05-12-2011, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Gracie is a breastfeeding champion! 

I did deal with some soreness and cracking early on but figured out that i really have to hold the breast back more from her. they were 2x the size of her head, thats a little better now. /i also have serious oversupply and an overactive letdown. we block feed and nurse uphill as much as possible and voila, no more exorsist! 

DS4 weaned at the begining of this pregnancy because it was too painful. i promised him he could nurse when baby came and there was lots of milk. well.. he forgot how gloomy.gifI'm sad about that. is that crazy? he will be 4 on the 20th. so when i pump (between 5-8oz a side) I freeze some and give him the rest. he LOVES itjoy.gif

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#5 of 36 Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 AM

After clipping his short frenulum DS is a great nurser! He was just a couple days old when we had that done, and since then his latch has been perfect and I have had no soreness. What a blessing - it was so painful at first with both girls. DS has gained 3.5 lbs in one month :)

DD2 is still nursing, and wanting to nurse a TON. Like every time she sees that baby eat. Ugh. I'm hoping this is a phase that passes soon. I want her to continue, but wow, this is making me crazy!

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#6 of 36 Old 05-12-2011, 11:36 AM

My sweet pea has been nursing like a champ too. We have a fussy period at night also. I know i have a over active let down too. I'm fairly certain that comes hand in hand with tandem nursing. My toddler is wanting to nurse just about every time he see's the baby nurse. It's becoming very difficult to get him to wait till the baby is done. He will scream at the top of his lungs....not good when i'm trying to get the baby to sleep.

But over all nursing has been wonderful and easy. The baby sleeps great at night, that is once i get him to sleep. Wakes every few hours to nurse...i nurse hm laying down and he always falls asleep during a feed.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#7 of 36 Old 05-12-2011, 11:44 AM

nursing is just now (at 9days PP) starting to be better. Our latch was painful from the very first time. Not excruciating, thankfully, but it hurt. LCs and one nurse helped some, all saying she needed to be latched on more deeply, but I couldn't make that happen reliably enough and my nipples ended up very sore and cracked. It wasn't until this past Sunday that things really started to improve, when my sister reminded me of pulling on baby's chin after latching on and pulling the lips out to ensure good flanging. I feel a little silly about that, being a third time mom and a LLL leader, but I guess it goes to show it's hard to help yourself sometimes winky.gif

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#8 of 36 Old 05-12-2011, 12:18 PM

My 4yo weaned a year ago this month, and started talking about nursing again in the last month before Aoife was born. I wouldn't let him try until last night because of nipple soreness, but when he tried, he remembered! I was surprised. I'm not sure how I feel about it, either. I don't really want him nursing again, but I don't want to say no either, because I have the sense it's something he needs right now emotionally, and that it will help him adjust to baby's being here.  Annemarie, I wish I could give your DS my Ds's latching skills!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post
DS4 weaned at the begining of this pregnancy because it was too painful. i promised him he could nurse when baby came and there was lots of milk. well.. he forgot how gloomy.gifI'm sad about that. is that crazy? he will be 4 on the 20th. so when i pump (between 5-8oz a side) I freeze some and give him the rest. he LOVES itjoy.gif

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#9 of 36 Old 05-12-2011, 12:51 PM

Logan is an all star nurser.  I was lucky to have both boys be excellent boob men.  DS1 has tried but forgotten and hubby wasn't thrilled that I let him try.  oh well!!!  When hubby objected to him trying there was a melt down bc he needed to know he could try even if he didn't do it. 

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#10 of 36 Old 05-12-2011, 03:09 PM

We were off to a rocky start since DD spent a week in the NICU.  It took her a few days to learn how to latch.  The oxygen cannula didn't help much either.  I was pumping in the meantime to get my milk to come in.  Now I have an oversupply and engorgement problems.  My right nipple is really sore from getting pumping blisters.  She tends to have trouble latching on the left, but she's finally getting the hang of it.  So until the right nipple heals, I'm feeding her from the left and pumping the right side. 

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#11 of 36 Old 05-12-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post

My sweet pea has been nursing like a champ too. We have a fussy period at night also. I know i have a over active let down too. I'm fairly certain that comes hand in hand with tandem nursing. My toddler is wanting to nurse just about every time he see's the baby nurse. It's becoming very difficult to get him to wait till the baby is done. He will scream at the top of his lungs....not good when i'm trying to get the baby to sleep.

But over all nursing has been wonderful and easy. The baby sleeps great at night, that is once i get him to sleep. Wakes every few hours to nurse...i nurse hm laying down and he always falls asleep during a feed.

Overactive let down and fussy time in the evening are the norm here, too.

Can you nurse your toddler and baby at the same time? Sometimes nursing them both at the same time is the only way to avoid a major meltdown and for me to keep my sanity. I know it's uncomfortable for many people to nurse two at the same time, though.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#12 of 36 Old 05-12-2011, 04:33 PM

I'm so glad this thread was started!!!!!  This is my first baby and so far, nursing has been great!!!!  Since my baby started getting a stronger neck, he sucks and PULLS so hard!  I notice he does it when he's not really nursing, he's more "playing" or at least that's what I think.  I stop him right away because I don't want him to develop that habit.  Anyone else have this problem? 

Nursing is amazing and I'm so very thankful it's been a success so far!  I'm going back to work in 18 days so I need to start getting a supply available for my husband! 

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#13 of 36 Old 05-13-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieee View Post

I'm so glad this thread was started!!!!!  This is my first baby and so far, nursing has been great!!!!  Since my baby started getting a stronger neck, he sucks and PULLS so hard!  I notice he does it when he's not really nursing, he's more "playing" or at least that's what I think.  I stop him right away because I don't want him to develop that habit.  Anyone else have this problem? 

Nursing is amazing and I'm so very thankful it's been a success so far!  I'm going back to work in 18 days so I need to start getting a supply available for my husband! 

my DS is doing the same thing! he even gets this half grin on his face... he looks mischievous, even. it's cute and annoying at the same time! I try and stop him, too, in fear of a habit. I have a friend who's DS nursed into toddlerhood and he had awful manners... my DP is worried about our little guy nursing that long because of it. I hope I can keep this little guy polite about nursing so DP won't object to extended nursing!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#14 of 36 Old 05-14-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad to hear everyone's nursing story, keep pressing on as your babies chug along mamas love.gif  It seems for us the football hold has really helped as well as helping her open wider by using my thumb on her chin as she goes to latch

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#15 of 36 Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 AM

its up to you to set the precedent(when baby is older) if you want good nursing manners.  all of mine nursed for 3 years (except one who weaned at 2) all had fantastic nursing manners.IE no pulling on my shirt lifting it in public. however i also watched their cues and headed it off at the pass frequently

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrli View Post

Quote:

my DS is doing the same thing! he even gets this half grin on his face... he looks mischievous, even. it's cute and annoying at the same time! I try and stop him, too, in fear of a habit. I have a friend who's DS nursed into toddlerhood and he had awful manners... my DP is worried about our little guy nursing that long because of it. I hope I can keep this little guy polite about nursing so DP won't object to extended nursing!

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#16 of 36 Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 AM

I think we're doing this right, cause Grey is definitely getting bigger, having regular bowl movements and lots of pee.... but it's changed since he was first born so I hope he's not missing his hind milk intake...

When he was first born, it took everything to keep him awake.  I'd strip him down to his bare diaper, even taking that off sometimes!  I knew he finished when he pulled away.  Now that he's older and likes to suck/pull/play, I usually say he's done when he pulls away repeatedly and opens his mouth again trying to find the nipple. It's actually really cute to watch cause he gets this cheesy grin and big eyes and moves his head all over the place until he latches, then lets go after a few sucks.  He never seems upset when we stop... so I'm assuming it's all good?

Sometimes he falls asleep, or slows down sucking.  I can tell when he's just soothing and not actually drinking... so if he just sucks with no drinking, is he done?  I used to let him do that until he pulled away (asleep) but that would take like 45 minutes!!!  Now I stop him when I think he's done and we're nursing only 25 minutes for both sides. 

He's definitely not upset between feedings, so I am sure he's well fed... just wondering if we're missing the hind milk?

Any thoughts?

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#17 of 36 Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 AM

Things are going better here with the nursing.  She's taking both sides now that the right nipple has healed.  I've also been pumping less frequently now that the engorgement is finally gone. 

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#18 of 36 Old 05-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat View Post

at first it was painful latch. we resolved that and now he just seems to be nursing ALL the time and he has really fussy time between 8-10 at night where the only thing that helps is walking him.  I am hoping that gets better.  we have had a busy week and been on the go a lot and I think he has had a fore/hind milk imbalance because of all the on the go.  I'm hoping a few chill days at home will help it. 

Minus the painful latch, this sounds like my girl exactly. She will nurse for a couple minutes then all hell breaks loose & she needs to be walked and joggled to quiet down enough to even attempt nursing again. This can go on for a couple of hours sometimes, or--last night--FOUR hours. It was so frustrating--I could tell she was exhausted and just could not settle down.

Apart from the fussy times--which do seem to be calming down somewhat, at least during the middle of night feedings--she's doing pretty well. She nurses well during the day usually (sometimes is too sleepy), and has given me a couple of dreamy middle of night sessions lately. They give me hope that the fussy times are temporary as she becomes more efficient.

A lot of times the screaming seems to coincide with swallowing air, but I have trouble getting her to burp or fart...any tips from more experiences moms? She likes the over the shoulder position best, but I have trouble getting anything to come up a lot of the time.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#19 of 36 Old 05-15-2011, 11:40 AM

Ditto--it's hilarious. She moves her head around like a little warthog and snorts.

Quote:

It's actually really cute to watch cause he gets this cheesy grin and big eyes and moves his head all over the place until he latches, then lets go after a few sucks.  He never seems upset when we stop... so I'm assuming it's all good?

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#20 of 36 Old 05-15-2011, 11:59 AM

DS is nursing great now.  He had a pretty bad tongue tie, but we had it clipped when he was 4 days old.  Now we're good--except that he hates my letdown and always unlatches and makes a mess.  It's not even that strong--it was stronger when DD was a baby.  DD really wants to keep nursing and asks a lot, but I don't let her that often.  I didn't want her to stop, but now it feels weird.  I'm ready for her to be done--but she isn't.

#21 of 36 Old 05-15-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

Minus the painful latch, this sounds like my girl exactly. She will nurse for a couple minutes then all hell breaks loose & she needs to be walked and joggled to quiet down enough to even attempt nursing again. This can go on for a couple of hours sometimes, or--last night--FOUR hours. It was so frustrating--I could tell she was exhausted and just could not settle down.

Apart from the fussy times--which do seem to be calming down somewhat, at least during the middle of night feedings--she's doing pretty well. She nurses well during the day usually (sometimes is too sleepy), and has given me a couple of dreamy middle of night sessions lately. They give me hope that the fussy times are temporary as she becomes more efficient.

A lot of times the screaming seems to coincide with swallowing air, but I have trouble getting her to burp or fart...any tips from more experiences moms? She likes the over the shoulder position best, but I have trouble getting anything to come up a lot of the time.

Though I am not personally more experienced, a friend who has been watching young infants in many capacities for years recommended rubbing the lower back area instead of patting and this has worked really well for me. 

partytime.gifBabytime! treehugger.gifMomma to Wyatt born April 2012 h20homebirth.gif

#22 of 36 Old 05-15-2011, 03:17 PM

Ditto to the strong let down and fussy at the breasters! My left boob always squirts my LO in the eye!

At first nursing went really well, but after my nipples were still sore after 3 weeks I decided to see the awesome, free LC we have at out public health office. She was great and helped me latch him on better, avoiding the strong letdown in the back of the throat gagging, and keeping him from smashing my nipples! I still get lazy and let him nurse to shallowly but overall there is way less pain. I have been trying to pump as well, but hardly have time for it. My husband deploys in a month and a half I want to have milk stored for sanity breaks while I am a part time single momma. The LO is either eating, fussing or I am wearing him! I often manage to get about a 6 oz a day, which is easier in the morning when they are giant from his slow night nursing. Speaking of night time... He is doing really well! He usually goes to bed (often after much coaxing and fussing) around 9 pm and then makes up at midnight, 3:30 am and then at 6 or 7 depending on how long we are up at 3. He takes quick sleepy nursing snack and usually needs to be changed at 3. I guess I should thank my stars I get this much sleep, but I am still exhausted. It took me two days to fully recover from a disastrous day of shopping last week where it took me more than 2 hours to get out the door and then an hour in the car nursing and changing before we could go home! Hopefully things will get a little easier when my husband comes back from his 2 weeks away, but I need to be prepared for this stupid deployment... Ok enough ranting, more baby head smelling!

partytime.gifBabytime! treehugger.gifMomma to Wyatt born April 2012 h20homebirth.gif

#23 of 36 Old 05-15-2011, 09:59 PM

Another ditto on OALD. Ugh! He chokes all the time then gets crabby and starts screaming he's so mad. Then he won't nurse and I have beg him to go back. Lol.

However...this is my third attempt at nursing and for some reason it's going great this time! With my first two I only nursed for a month. I'm going on 7 weeks tomorrow and he is EBF! Woot! It's so nice just rolling over in bed, popping it out, and snoozing while he eats instead of getting a dang bottle! I hate bottles...with all the cleaning and making sure you have enough before you leave the house. AND...I have BF out in public and I have to say it feels good! I have already thought in my head that if someone says something to me I will come back with... "you eat in public...why can't he?" smile.gif
#24 of 36 Old 05-16-2011, 05:16 AM

pat in an upward motion on the lower left side of baby's bach while she is  upright. almost like paddling.

Also lay baby on her back and paddle downwards over her belly from ribs to hips. then take your hand at the base of her belly and your other  hand under her bum. fold up sandwiching your hand against her belly with a tiny bit of pressure. roll her bum from side to side. it works almost every single time for 90% of babies. I have seen some babies whose bellies were hard from gassy bubbles and this does help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

#25 of 36 Old 05-16-2011, 05:30 AM

nice work!

have you tried nursing him "uphill"? if you  recline and have baby come at the breast from the top, it makes the OALD  easier to cope with for baby.

on a side note We have thrush here so my nips hurt like heck now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferadurham View Post

Another ditto on OALD. Ugh! He chokes all the time then gets crabby and starts screaming he's so mad. Then he won't nurse and I have beg him to go back. Lol.

However...this is my third attempt at nursing and for some reason it's going great this time! With my first two I only nursed for a month. I'm going on 7 weeks tomorrow and he is EBF! Woot! It's so nice just rolling over in bed, popping it out, and snoozing while he eats instead of getting a dang bottle! I hate bottles...with all the cleaning and making sure you have enough before you leave the house. AND...I have BF out in public and I have to say it feels good! I have already thought in my head that if someone says something to me I will come back with... "you eat in public...why can't he?" smile.gif

#26 of 36 Old 05-16-2011, 06:45 AM

sorry to hear about the thrush... greensad.gif do you know if gentian violet is ok to use? don't have thrush over here but i'd like to know, in case it happens. we already have it in the medicine cabinet.

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#27 of 36 Old 05-16-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:

nice work!

have you tried nursing him "uphill"? if you  recline and have baby come at the breast from the top, it makes the OALD  easier to cope with for baby.

That's actually the only way he would nurse on my left side when he was first born. I tried it last night and he was already mad...so I will try again when he's not mad. smile.gif thanks for the advise!

greensad.gif on the thrush! Hope it gets better real soon! What causes that?
#28 of 36 Old 05-16-2011, 11:07 AM

overgrowth of yeast and candida causes it.  going gf makes a huge difference!

kittn likes this.

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#29 of 36 Old 05-16-2011, 02:19 PM

thrush is an overgrowth of yeast.  and yes gentian violet can treat it. I will start also taking grapefruit seed extract. we are treating with nystatin and getting air time  on her bum and my nipples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferadurham View Post

Quote:

nice work!

That's actually the only way he would nurse on my left side when he was first born. I tried it last night and he was already mad...so I will try again when he's not mad. smile.gif thanks for the advise!

greensad.gif on the thrush! Hope it gets better real soon! What causes that?

#30 of 36 Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 PM

Thank you for the burping suggestions! I will definitely try all of them, as the situation is getting pretty frustrating--I can tell she is in pain from gas but am having trouble doing anything about it.

Another question: how long do feedings take for you mamas? Especially at night? Between feeding, changing, calming fussiness, her drifting off and then waking up and wanting to nurse more, I am always up at least an hour for night feedings and often longer than that, sometimes two hours. Is this normal? This time includes her falling asleep in my arms, then carefully swaddling her (she will only stand it if she's asleep already) and transferring her to bed. Then she'll sleep for an hour and a half or two hours (VERY rarely a little more than that) before the process starts all over.

She's only three weeks old--I know "you can't spoil a newborn" but I do worry a bit about her only being able to fall asleep in my arms--if a few months down the line this is still the case it may drive me insane. Feeling like I always have to be with her and can never put her down is one of the hardest adjustments to motherhood...I am counting the days till she sleeps longer stretches at night and is okay not being held quite so constantly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page