Going back to work... :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-13-2011, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How many of us are going back to work soon? I go back May 30th which will put at 2 months off of work.  I'm looking forward to going back because some great progress has been made at my work since I left.  I'm absolutely terrified of leaving my baby.  Not that my husband can't take care of him, but the sadness I will feel.  I'm going to start taking fenugreek to get enough milk stored up for the first few days I'm gone.  2 days before I go back to work, I'm going to leave the house for a few hours (maybe even 5) and see how DH does.  Also, the week I go back I'm only working 3 days that week. I think I read that suggestion on babycenter.com

How about everyone else?  Anyone back already?  How did it go? 

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#2 of 8 Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 AM

I'm back to work.  But I just bring the babe with me.  Going well thus far.  :-)

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#3 of 8 Old 05-14-2011, 01:34 PM

Luke was 6 wks on Thursday and that officially ended my short term disability unless I have a medical reason for more.  My midwife is going to send a letter but I don't know if they will approve any additional leave since technically I am okay.  I totally don't feel ready to go back- 12 hour days, 3 days a week.  I could take up to 6 more weeks (FMLA) but I won't get paid and we can't really afford for me to be out that long without pay.  if the short term disability gets approved I'll be out until the end of June but if not I will be back at work in 2 weeks at the beginning of June.  They said I can still use FMLA for one day and only work 2 days if I have to go back early.  That will make things easier, I think. 

I'm so paranoid about breastfeeding and working.  work is the downfall everytime.  It gets busy and I don't get time to pump.  I'm hoping it will be different this time.  He does really good with a bottle but I don't have much pumped and stored. This week I'm going to try to build my stockpile. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#4 of 8 Old 05-14-2011, 08:12 PM

Ugh...I have to go back Monday. Unfortunately I cannot afford to take any unpaid leave so six weeks was all I could swing. I have frozen at least 100 oz of breastmilk although, hopefully, I will be able to pump enough at work to provide Rhys with fresh milk every day. I am really wishing I could stay home for the next four years but I make significantly more than my DH and we have quite a bit of debt right now. I have a little over a year left in my psychiatry residency. Once done, I am hoping I can work part time.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I am going to leave him at day care Monday. It seems so wrong to leave him with someone I barely know, but we don't have any family here and can't afford a nanny. I have a feeling I am going to cry all week :(

Aimee (35) married to Pete (47) and mama to Rhys Patrick, born 4/2/11

#5 of 8 Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

just wanted to give you guys a hug. I cant imagine how difficult it must be to leave them

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#6 of 8 Old 05-15-2011, 06:32 AM

i'm sorry that sucks.  I am so angry at the way we treat new mothers in this country.  its horrible.  I wish you luck tomorrow.  Do you work long days??  Hopefully it will go by fast for you! 

how did you manage to get so much milk stored up? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post

Ugh...I have to go back Monday. Unfortunately I cannot afford to take any unpaid leave so six weeks was all I could swing. I have frozen at least 100 oz of breastmilk although, hopefully, I will be able to pump enough at work to provide Rhys with fresh milk every day. I am really wishing I could stay home for the next four years but I make significantly more than my DH and we have quite a bit of debt right now. I have a little over a year left in my psychiatry residency. Once done, I am hoping I can work part time.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I am going to leave him at day care Monday. It seems so wrong to leave him with someone I barely know, but we don't have any family here and can't afford a nanny. I have a feeling I am going to cry all week :(

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#7 of 8 Old 05-15-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah seriously 100oz?? I have NOTHING! I have two weeks left and am going to start taking Fenugreek today.  Has anyone used that before? I'm nervous to take it.  I might call our local LC and ask what to take. 

Becca, this is my first baby and I'm completely nervous about pumping at work too. I'm one who usually skips my breaks because I'm so involved in my work!  Plus, the way my breaks are, I won't get to pump enough.  I'm going to ask if I can take 3 ten minute breaks instead of my 2 fifteen minute breaks.  I also get a 30 minute unpaid break.  We'll see how much I need... I just HAVE to make sure to make time.  And obviously, I have nothing stored!  I know that if I have enough for 2 days by the time I go back, I will be able to keep up a good supply because I'll be pumping at work everyday.  I've done SO much for my job if worse comes to worse and my husband runs out, he can come to my work and pick up some milk, or I could go home for a bit if I wanted.    I also wanted to get my doc to call in a Short Term disability request.... but when I discussed with my work the reasons for taking short term paid, I did not qualify.  My delivery was perfect and recovery was super quick... I know how you feel.  I just want to be with him everyday, ALL day :(

Thinking of all of you as we go back these next few weeks!

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#8 of 8 Old 05-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Yeah, this country is horrible on this issue. I am really struggling right now but, hopefully, I will feel a little better by the end of the week. Seems unlikely right now, though. Until July, I am doing all outpatient clinic, so I work 8-4:30 or 5. I will be able to go by his day care 2-3 days a week to feed him at lunch. Fortunately I don't have any more weekend calls and only two more weeknight calls in June. We don't take call our last year, thank God!

As far as pumping goes, I started about three weeks ago. Initially I wasn't getting much of anything, so I started pumping on one side while I nursed him, which worked well. I did that up until a few days ago. Now I can get 4-5 oz on each side first thing in the morning (I have been letting my DH feed him bottles in the AM on weekends to get him used to it). My plan is to only use frozen if I can't pump enough the day before.

Aimee (35) married to Pete (47) and mama to Rhys Patrick, born 4/2/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page