What is your baby doing now? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 05-16-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is 7w4d and she's no longer a newborn, she's totally a baby!  She's started to smile intentionally but we haven't really got to those smiles of recognition yet.  She loves bath time and diaper changes.  She's also started to track objects with her eyes.  I don't think she know that those hands are actually attached to her yet and that she's going to be able to do many wonderful things with them.  Her head control is getting much better and she likes to sit up and take stalk of the world.

What are your babies up to?  What kind of developmental things are happening?

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#2 of 19 Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM

~NAK~

hey, gumshoe! good to see you! sounds like your sweet baby is doing great! I can't believe she's so "old"! lol. I'd love to see recent pics of her!

AFU, DS is 6 weeks today and is totally smiling at us! last week, at 5 weeks, he smiled at DP when he woke up! she was getting ready for work and when he woke she gave him a kiss and said "Good Morning" with a smile. and he smiled a big toothless grin back at her! it was priceless!! since then he has continued as a morning routine... it's really great that she gets those moments with him before work. smile.gif
he either loves or hates diaper time, depending on, well, we don't really know! redface.gif bath time is good but he seems indifferent. he does like his after bath massage. he's enjoying his activity mat, mirrors, and rattles. he's starting to tolerate/enjoy his bouncy seat and carriers for short periods of time but if I put him in asleep or almost asleep then he'll nap in the carrier for an hour or more! I could gush on and on... redface.gif

how's everyone else doing? great idea for a thread gumshoe! orngbiggrin.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#3 of 19 Old 05-17-2011, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)

LL is 5 weeks and I feel like she just made some change.  She seems much less "grub like" and more like an infant.  She still startles and has these crazy cascades of bodily functions - which are really fun to watch.  They're like a shiver, shake, yawn, fart, stretch type thing.  She does make eye contact and smiles.  I think she's on the verge of laughing.  

Sleep wise she's starting to settle into a routine.  She's been taking these nice long morning naps followed by a series of cat naps though out the day and another evening nap.  Her morning nap is really solid to the point that she naps alone.  It's kind of sad to me to not hold her but I do think I should take advantage of the time, plus I want her to be able to do that in the future so I'm trying to go with it.  The evening nap she really does need to be held and helped to stay asleep.  She also needs to be soothed several times in the evening.  

We've been venturing out in the car, which is interesting.  DC#1 hated the car so I'm very timid about taking trips but LL seems to not mind them too much.  

Eating wise, it's going well.  LL doesn't comfort nurse yet, which is different from my DD#1.  LL's spacing for food is a solid 2 hours.  At night she doesn't eat all that often (probably ever 3 hours, maybe?) but she does seem to spend a lot of the night vocalizing and grunting like crazy. It's odd but livable.  

She seems to have some control over her hands but I doing think she's aware of that yet.  I haven't given her anything to hold yet.  Have you all?  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#4 of 19 Old 05-17-2011, 11:46 AM

DS is nearly 4 weeks.  He holds his head on his own, makes eye contact and coos.  It's so wonderful!  Loves bath time and is a totally laid back fellow.  Not sleeping by himself unless it happens to be a total fluke.

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#5 of 19 Old 05-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Luke is 6w5d today.  He holds his head up really well.  he recognizes me and my voice and seems to recognize dh, too but not the girls yet.  he smiles and has smiled at someone a few times but mostly he smiles at things- specifically the ceiling fan and the name letters in his room that hang above the changing table. 

i don't feel like I'm picking up a definite eating/sleeping schedule with him.   he definitely naps in the am and its a solid nap- doesn't wake easily from it and can be put down for it.  other than that its mostly quickie little naps throughout the day and he's pretty easily disturbed during them.  sometimes we get an afternoon nap. 

he's been having some mega fussy times.  often 8-10pm at night and also in the car.  Unless we hit the car during the morning naptime he pretty much screams and screams until someone picks him up.  overall he likes to be held and near one of us at all times.  He still seems like a newborn to me but every day is losing more and more and turning into a baby. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#6 of 19 Old 05-17-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

LL is 5 weeks and I feel like she just made some change.  She seems much less "grub like" and more like an infant.  She still startles and has these crazy cascades of bodily functions - which are really fun to watch.  They're like a shiver, shake, yawn, fart, stretch type thing.  She does make eye contact and smiles.  I think she's on the verge of laughing.  

Sleep wise she's starting to settle into a routine.  She's been taking these nice long morning naps followed by a series of cat naps though out the day and another evening nap.  Her morning nap is really solid to the point that she naps alone.  It's kind of sad to me to not hold her but I do think I should take advantage of the time, plus I want her to be able to do that in the future so I'm trying to go with it.  The evening nap she really does need to be held and helped to stay asleep.  She also needs to be soothed several times in the evening.  

We've been venturing out in the car, which is interesting.  DC#1 hated the car so I'm very timid about taking trips but LL seems to not mind them too much.  

Eating wise, it's going well.  LL doesn't comfort nurse yet, which is different from my DD#1.  LL's spacing for food is a solid 2 hours.  At night she doesn't eat all that often (probably ever 3 hours, maybe?) but she does seem to spend a lot of the night vocalizing and grunting like crazy. It's odd but livable.  

She seems to have some control over her hands but I doing think she's aware of that yet.  I haven't given her anything to hold yet.  Have you all?  

we've been putting things in his hand for about a week now... it's too cute to watch him! he holds the object but doesn't seem to understand it. he holds it for up to 30 seconds while he waves his arm around.

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#7 of 19 Old 05-17-2011, 12:47 PM

This is a cool thread! So neat to hear about the babies growing and developing!!!

Between 2wks & 3wks, Grey turned into a completely different baby.  He started moving his head/neck just barely before 2 weeks.  He followed me with his eyes at 3 weeks and smiled for the first time 2 days shy of 5 weeks.  Like gumshoegirl said, he's totally a BABY now.  Not a newborn.  The only weird thing is, he's the size of a newborn!  Ha!

Just 3 days ago was the first time he ever laid on my bed for HOURS without fussing. 

I don't know what to do to entertain him... I put him in his swing but he usually falls asleep.  I feel terrible that I don't have the time to dedicate myself to holding toys in front of him and what not.  Anyone else feel that guilt, or am I the only one not spending every minute with him while he's awake?  I go back to work in 2 weeks and I'm trying to get a lot done around here.  DH is working these next two weeks before he's officially a stay-at-home dad... so I'm shorthanded!

I do spend time with him on the bed, probably 30 minutes/time he's awake. 

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#8 of 19 Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrli View Post

~NAK~

hey, gumshoe! good to see you! sounds like your sweet baby is doing great! I can't believe she's so "old"! lol. I'd love to see recent pics of her!

AFU, DS is 6 weeks today and is totally smiling at us! last week, at 5 weeks, he smiled at DP when he woke up! she was getting ready for work and when he woke she gave him a kiss and said "Good Morning" with a smile. and he smiled a big toothless grin back at her! it was priceless!! since then he has continued as a morning routine... it's really great that she gets those moments with him before work. smile.gif
he either loves or hates diaper time, depending on, well, we don't really know! redface.gif bath time is good but he seems indifferent. he does like his after bath massage. he's enjoying his activity mat, mirrors, and rattles. he's starting to tolerate/enjoy his bouncy seat and carriers for short periods of time but if I put him in asleep or almost asleep then he'll nap in the carrier for an hour or more! I could gush on and on... redface.gif

how's everyone else doing? great idea for a thread gumshoe! orngbiggrin.gif

Can you tell me a little bit about this after bath massage? My son's the same way... indifferent.  He might spend a minute here or there crying but then he's fine and then back to crying.  How long does your bathtime take?  I make it as quick as possible!  I forgot I have an activity mat!!!!!! I'll use that when he wakes up!!!!

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#9 of 19 Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 PM

Julie, activity mat! he likes it more and more every day!! smile.gif bath time probably takes 5-7minutes. I wrap him in a towel and sometimes he nurses, then when he's dry and warmed I gently massage him from neck to toes using a little olive oil. I looked up some techniques on YouTube but I improvise, too.

#10 of 19 Old 05-17-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrli View Post

Julie, activity mat! he likes it more and more every day!! smile.gif bath time probably takes 5-7minutes. I wrap him in a towel and sometimes he nurses, then when he's dry and warmed I gently massage him from neck to toes using a little olive oil. I looked up some techniques on YouTube but I improvise, too.

Yeah right after I posted that, I set ours up... I think it might be a bit too much for him right now :) but day by day he will like it more and more like you said, I'm sure.  I found which one he likes the best, and had to move it to the other side so he moved his head... he tends to lay on one side of his head.  I don't want him to flatten his perfectly round head! :) 

I'll try that massage... Grey likes to be bundled in his towel for as long as possible.  Do you diaper your baby first?  Or massage while he's in the towel? 

winner.jpg

#11 of 19 Old 05-17-2011, 06:42 PM

Julie, no diaper (unless he hasn't pooped lately), on his towel. I sing and talk and make faces at him during the massage. I flip him onto his belly to get his back so I make sure there's something for him to look at in front of him.

#12 of 19 Old 05-19-2011, 05:43 AM

Henry is seeming less and less like a newborn. He started giving some smiles to "things" last week just before 5 weeks old. He likes smiling at the window and ceiling fan, and in the past wfew days has been smiling at me more - I love it! He's also starting "cooing". His coos aren't as sweet sounding as my girls' were - he makes boy sounds.

He takes a good couple hour nap in the morning, usually in the bouncy seat. During the day he is just happy and doesn't mind chilling on the bed or bouncy or swing or my arms. We have a fussy period in the evening, but it's not too bad. He's just a happy laid-back baby most of the time.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#13 of 19 Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

grace is sleeping well from 10pm to about 5 am. Shes finally starting to make eye contact and seems to be suddenly more "present"

However we are currently at in our local childrens hospital for some type of infection. Grace is 5 weeks old and has a fever and keeps crying non stop. We hope to be home by Saturday. I am really enjoying seeing what other babies are doing! So much great development!

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#14 of 19 Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 PM

I'm sorry kittn i hope that Grace is better and home with you very soon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post

grace is sleeping well from 10pm to about 5 am. Shes finally starting to make eye contact and seems to be suddenly more "present"

However we are currently at in our local childrens hospital for some type of infection. Grace is 5 weeks old and has a fever and keeps crying non stop. We hope to be home by Saturday. I am really enjoying seeing what other babies are doing! So much great development!

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#15 of 19 Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Wyatt is 3 weeks old today and is SO different from when he was born. He loves tummy time on his activity mat, though he has wanted to be able to move for about a week and a half. I've figured out that it makes his frustration go away if I put my hand by his feet for him to kick off of. He usually wants to move about 4 feet before getting tired and switching to his back.

He doesn't like being bathed very much, but I've noticed he sleeps better on days when he has a bath... maybe he'll like it more as he gets older.

Wyatt started smiling at my breasts a week ago whenever I would pull them out to feed him, and now he smiles at them when they're clothed. He's now smiling at me when we make eye contact if I smile at him first and talk to him.

Yesterday he learned that if he touches something he can move it. My husband put some toys on the changing table for him to look at and he started batting at them, knocking some over. We kept putting them upright again and he would reach out and knock them over.

Wyatt is still sleeping most of the day, but he has a good number of awake hours that he likes to spend looking at things and being cuddled.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#16 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 12:25 PM

let's see, B was 1 month of Sunday.  She smiles at us and says a-goo.  She loves bath time and likes to lay wiggle or to be propped up to look at things.  She sleeps so well, compared to her brother anyway.  she can put herself to sleep without nursing a lot of the time, just dozes off.  and naps without being held (her brother never would).  she's a little wobbly, but she's holding her head up pretty well.  she's a piggy, she's been gaining almost a pound a week.  she was 7.2lbs when we brought her home, and 11.2 on Monday at her checkup.  

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#17 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM

Eliza was 1 month old on Sunday, too! I haven't seen her smile directly at us yet, but this morning I swear she was laughing when I was changing her diaper. We call it "happy naked fun time" because unless she's hungry or otherwise very cranky, laying her on the changing table without fail turns her calm, alert, and engaged. She kicks like crazy, tracks things with her eyes, looks out the window, and coos. She also regularly poops and pees on the table, which cracks us up. I think the act of me holding her legs back to change her diaper gets the poop going. She's not a huge fan of baths, though.

I think her eyes may stay blue because they seem to be getting lighter/bluer, but I'm not sure yet. The dark hair she was born with has worn away in a ring around her head--it's very funny looking (we call it her male pattern baldness), but I think it's starting to be replaced. I think she may be blond--her eyelashes and eyebrows are very light.

She is having a lot more alert/calm times. She will sit in the bouncy chair and look at the mobiles we have hanging from it, sometimes for over half an hour without fussing. She also has just started demonstrating that she will fall asleep in the swing on her own, and today napped in it for two hours. This is a huge relief for me, as it gives me a chance to nap without being attached to her. Though we still take about a nap a day with her on my chest.

Still only sleeping for a couple hours at a time (sometimes less, and occasionally three hours) at night. I'm really anxious for her to go longer stretches as the sleep deprivation is really getting to me. But apart from that, I feel things are starting to turn around/equalize.

ETA: I also think she's starting to vocalize quite a bit more--more coos and squawks, which is a welcome change from crying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagin37 View Post

let's see, B was 1 month of Sunday.  She smiles at us and says a-goo.  She loves bath time and likes to lay wiggle or to be propped up to look at things.  She sleeps so well, compared to her brother anyway.  she can put herself to sleep without nursing a lot of the time, just dozes off.  and naps without being held (her brother never would).  she's a little wobbly, but she's holding her head up pretty well.  she's a piggy, she's been gaining almost a pound a week.  she was 7.2lbs when we brought her home, and 11.2 on Monday at her checkup.  

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#18 of 19 Old 05-29-2011, 10:30 AM

Q is 5 weeks old today. She is a fairly high needs baby like her oldest sister. She is seeming more happy in the daytime in the past few days though and not fussy/crying all day anymore. Only in the evening. Phew! She is smiling all the time, first smile was at 3wks 4 days at daddy. Now she smiles at her activity mat, me, daddy, and oldest sister, and of course random objects. She very much likes to stay busy and to face outward when being carried to see what is going on. Anyone actually wear your baby facing out yet? I mostly use my moby but I'm not sure her neck/head is strong enough yet. She likes bath time as long as I'm in the tub with her and she's fairly submerged in the water. We haven't even used the baby bath yet, not sure if we will. She hates getting changed/dressed though. But I am going to try to leave her in her towel until she's all warmed up and then try a massage. She also isn't crazy about tummy time. She is most happy when she's held or worn and we're out and about, which I haven't done a lot of yet. I think she's beginning a growth spurt because all she's wanted to do for the last few days is nurse constantly.

ETA: Oh yeah and she doesn't sleep well at night at all, last night I don't even think she went half an hour without waking up. Before this spurt happened it was more like every hour or two. She does have a few long naps during the day though and lots of little cat naps.

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#19 of 19 Old 05-30-2011, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Abby is 5 weeks 4 days today. She's definitely a lot more alert and is starting to smile at us regularly. She is a lot more high needs than DS. She's very fussy most of the day. I don't know if that's just her personality or if she doesn't feel good. She has either psoriasis or eczema, shows signs of reflux, and may have a mild sinus infection. We're going to try to get her into the doctor this week, so here's hoping she feels better soon. She pretty much sleeps through the night, but I think that's mainly because she crashes since she hardly sleeps at all during the day. Five or ten minutes tops before she wakes up most of the time. She's asleep in the wrap right now, so let's hope being on me helps her sleep.

She's developing a real personality, which is cool. She LOVES being outdoors. If she's just fussy and not hungry or wet, the second we walk outside the fussing stops, it's like a switch. It's handy, but tough when I'm trying to get stuff done around the house. She follows a toy back and forth but doesn't try to grab at it yet. I think she'd like a play gym, but we won't be able to get her one until I go back to work - fingers crossed I get a call about an interview soon!

All in all, she's a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. She's a snuggler and very smiley and a joy to be around. love.gif

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page