Anyone else having trouble "sleeping when the baby sleeps"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-21-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is sort of a general cry for help. I'm going pretty crazy here. DD is four weeks old tomorrow. She has been super fussy almost every day. She will not sleep except on my lap after eating, or in the carrier (I switched to a baby bjorn someone gave me because the moby and sling were really killing my back), or sometimes falls asleep in the car or stroller. But there is no such thing as putting her down in a chair or crib even, and I feel like I can't get a moment to myself, to sleep or do anything else. Today I had to shower through her screaming as DH held her. THe only way I could nap yesterday was by lying down with her on my chest in the baby bjorn.

She gets in cycles of fussiness where she gets so upset she doesn't know what she wants. She roots frantically for the boob (even if she just ate) but then it's like she can't remember how to suck, and she screams hysterically. Then we have to try a barrage of things to find her off switch. She'll calm down momentarily but then something will set her off again until we find the right "switch" for the moment--and then she's totally out.

Nights are all right--not great, but okay generally. She wakes up, I feed her--it usually takes around an hour to settle her again, though sometimes longer--then she lets me sleep for anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours before waking up again. I nurse her, wait till she falls asleep on my lap, then swaddle her and transfer her to bed. Usually I can get two decent (read: around two hours) of sleep and a third one that's less. I am EXHAUSTED. All the books say put them to bed when they are sleepy but awake--DD will not stand for this.

When, when, when does the fussiness ease up? When will longer stretches of sleep at night happen? If I could just get a litlte more rest at night I don't think I'd need to nap during the day. Will she ever be capable of falling asleep while not being held? She won't even fall asleep next to me in bed! (She sleeps in a "Snuggle Nest" between our pillows).

Looking for any BTDT stories or rays of hope/reassurance. Xposted in Life with a Babe.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#2 of 15 Old 05-21-2011, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

nak - will come back...

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 15 Old 05-21-2011, 02:15 PM

Hope you don't mind if I pop in from the May DDC. My little one is 2 1/2wks, and he isn't sleeping much during the day either unless he's being held. I keep trying to lay him down after feedings, but it usually doesn't last more than 10-15min, but that's long enough for me to hop in the shower or eat a quick snack. Sometimes he'll take a 30min-1hr nap in his bouncy seat or crib late in the afternoon, but by that time I don't want to take a nap for fear that it'll affect me falling asleep at night. Nighttime is going pretty good for us considering his young age, mainly thanks to cosleeping and side lying nursing. Have you tried either of those? Some of mine haven't taken to it right away but get the hang of it eventually, and when they do it totally saves my sanity. It allows me to nurse the baby before he gets fully awake and doze off while he eats. He gets his tummy full, pops off, and dozes off next to me. I still feel tired but not exhausted. Hope things improve for you soon!

ETA - Oh, and most of my babies have started sleeping better around 6-8wks. I think because they start nursing better and having more happy wakeful periods during the day. Hopefully you'll be turning a corner before long!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#4 of 15 Old 05-21-2011, 04:33 PM

blanca- sorry to hear you're still struggling. I've been keeping up with your posts and have seen you mention this frustration before. I agree with pp about side-lying nursing. I also have the snuggle nest that we use also. How is your let-down while nursing? I have an overactive letdown and it doesn't seem to be a huge problem during the day but at night Jillian gets extra frustrated by it. It wakes her up too much and she cries and takes FOREVER to calm down. What I've figured out that works is this. I'm a large chested lady so I'm not sure if it works for non large chesters too, but I figured I'd throw it out there. I put her upright, kneeling and leaning against my breast. Then I have her latch on from there. (this is why i think being large chested makes a difference cuz my breast is big enough that when I lay down it's kinda off to the side anyway. HAHA!!). She eats that way and doesn't get ticked off by my overactive let down this way (basically nursing uphill). Then when she falls asleep she just kind of pulls off and turns her head to the side, using my breast as a pillow (again HAHA!). When she's been asleep this way for a few minutes I move her quickly but gently to her snuggle nest where she stays asleep. (we do belly sleeping because she startles too much on her back). Sometimes I fall asleep after she does and will wake up like 30 mins later and she's tilted over to the side and is laying in the crook of my arm. I do the same thing and just move her over to her snuggle nest. I generally do this at night even though we are able to do side=lying just because of the overactive let down. However, if she wakes up shortly after a feeding or is having trouble getting back to sleep, etc. then I will do side lying so we can both relax and fall asleep while feeding. Both of these would help you get better sleep because you wont wake up quite so much for feedings and will be able to get back to sleep easier/quicker as well. If neither of these work for you and you still have to sit up to nurse, could you get more pillows behind you and kind of half lay-down half-sit up and adjust her latch a bit to make it work? that way you can still kind of doze at least while she eats.

Jillian is the same way during the day with needing to be held all the time. We have a swing that we can SOMETIMES get 15-30 mins in but it's rare. And the infantino carrier we have works well for short periods of time IF I am up and moving around. (read: lunch time life saver. lol) But for those times when my other 2 are entertained and I just want to sit down, she has to be eating. Because if she's not eating she's crying. She cluster feeds allllll day out of boredom I think. She falls asleep eating every single time I feed her and will remain content as long as I don't move her AT ALL. but if I shift a bit or have to get up we're totally lost and she'll cry until we start over again. I know it's frustrating! Hang in there. I know it'll get better soon as soon as she starts becoming more aware and can be entertained by looking around and stuff. She's just in that in between phase where she's not quite the newborn that sleeps 24/7 but not quite the baby that interacts with us more. I'm hoping in the next week or so we'll pass through this phase. I hope the same for you! (btw, Jillian will be 4 weeks old Wednesday).

One more thing, I found that both of my older 2 started sleeping through the night once they were around the 10 lb mark. My son a little later than my daughter. This was around 6 weeks for both of them. And when I say sleeping through the night I mean like a 6 or 7 hr stretch. if you're using breastfeeding as your method of birth control then this would be a horrible thing, but if you're like me you think it's great! (my thought: If I have to wake up every 2-3 hours all night to breastfeed I'll be too tired to have sex anyway! lol. I think sleep trumps condom haha!) Well, I hope something that I said helps you! Hopefully other mamas will chime in with some more advice and between us you'll find something that works. Just hang in there and remember that this is just for the short-term and that before long this will be a distant memory... just like the discomforts of pregnancy :-) I have a barely 3 yr old, 2 yr old and Jillian (3.5 weeks) so obviously the memories fade QUICKLY! lol. Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.

ETA: I forgot to mention that Jillian got back up to her birthweight by 11 days old and has gained an average of 2oz/day since then (the average is back up to birthweight by 2 weeks old and then 1 oz/day after that). so she's OBVIOUSLY eating a freaking lot! lol. So i feel you on the "constantly nursing" thing. Hey, look at it this way... we're burning more calories. HAHA!

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
#5 of 15 Old 05-21-2011, 05:10 PM

Blanca78, I am getting about the same amount of sleep and feel near-dead!  No naps possible as I am back working (wahm).  Anwen is one month--5 weeks tomorrow actually--and today I am trying cutting out dairy to see if that helps!  I don't see how she could be so hungry as to need to nurse at 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 am as she did last night/this morning!!  Aaaahhhh....soooooo tired.....

#6 of 15 Old 05-21-2011, 06:55 PM

Hugs mama!!   

I'm going to throw out some suggestions.

1.  Do you have a sling?  DC needs to be in the sling for a while throughout the day - it helps me do a few thing for myself when she needs to be held.  

2.  Do you have some sort of rocker, glider or yoga ball so you can sit and rock your baby?  

3.  I have found that my DC sleeps best (off me) in the late morning.  She needs to be rocked/slinged to sleep but once she's been asleep on me for about an hour she will let me put her down and then say asleep for quite a while.  This is the same in the PM, to a lesser extent.  She needs a very long time being held (and swaddled) and then I'll set her down.  What I do is hold her for a "good nap" so I know she'll get enough sleep and then set her down.  

4.  How are you sleeping?  I could not survive being up for an hour nursing/settling in the middle of the night.  No wonder you're so tired!  I would try side-lying nursing if I were you.  Also, can you keep her swaddled through nursing?  As far as putting them down awake - I always thought that was BS - I mean, great if it works, but really?  Who does that work for?  

5.  With my DC she gets fussy mainly from being over tired.  I'm way surprised by how much sleep she needs.  She wakes around 7.  Wakes/cat naps till about 9 and then sleeps soundly till 11 or so.   She cat naps on and off till around 4.  At 4 I give her a good nap - holding her, rocking her -- whatever to make sure she sleeps.  It is the key to a peaceful evening.  She wakes up around 6/7 and is awake but a bit fussy until around 8.  She basically sleeps from 8 on.   It's A LOT of sleep.  I think for a while I miss-took her crankyness for needing more sleep.  

6.  The bouncy chair is helpful and DC is swaddled from about 4pm-7am on and off.  

7.  "Cluster nursing" is something I read about on Kellymom.  You basically nurse on the same side in 2 hour chunks.  You don't restrict nursing but you only offer one breast in that 2 hours.  Apparently that helps the baby get more hind milk and deals with any overactive let-down.  

8.  The video "Happiest Baby on the Block" was really helpful to both me and DH.  

I hope some of this helps!!  

#7 of 15 Old 05-21-2011, 10:30 PM

Don't have time to read other responses, but thoughts I have from my own similar experience last few weeks;

- does she cry when she burps, does she spit up at all and swallow and cry? (my DD did, figured out reflux, cut acidic foods from my diet, BAM, it's fine now, she's much more calm)

- we've been putting a heating pad down on her bed to warm area before laying her down, and we remove it just before laying her down (checking that it's not too hot). This eases the transfer, before that, she'd wake up every time we laid her down no matter how sound asleep she was.

- pacifier helps

- both DS (when he was a newborn and young infant) and DD (now) got mad when nursing when they were too tired to suck. What worked/works for both is patting their back firmly (like when burping) while they nursed and somehow it helps them focus and nurse. I knew they were hungry, needed to eat, and I knew they were TIRED but needed to eat first.

- swaddling all day, if needed, not just at night, even if awake. She doesn't need this now at 6 weeks, but needed it all day the first 4 or so.

- I also cut out dairy over two weeks ago and can't discern yet whether it increased reflux or reflux was just a separate issue and dairy isn't at all...not really testing it quite yet.

- a lot of her fussing aside from reflux was overactive letdown. Last weekend, I block fed for half a day on each side, and it's already calmed down for her most of the time that I'm not doing it that severely anymore. But she'd get VERY upset if the milk was coming too fast.  I'd express into a diaper off and on during the first part of the feed.

- I don't know any newborn that can be put down awake

It's so hard!! It's even more frustrating to count the hours of sleep you got or didn't get...try not to. I found that DD in the last week has gotten into a groove more (6.5 weeks), going back to sleep sooner after nursing at night. It was a while before she'd sleep without being held...that was necessary the first 3-4 weeks for the most part and has gradually shifted to being in bed probably 2/3 the time over 24 hours. Co sleeping isn't working for us anymore, neither is side-lying nursing. She's actually been on her tummy for sleeping the last several days, partly b/c to help reflux and she just sleeps better that way. She can lift and turn her head, tuck her arms down, and we're comfortable with it.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#8 of 15 Old 05-22-2011, 04:41 AM

i'm sorry, mama.  this is the hard part, for sure!  you've gotten some good advice so far.  Its just a frustrating trial or error to find what works for you. 

I think I survive by co-sleeping.  (although want to try to get him out of our bed- even just to the pack and play- and don't know how) but he wakes about 3 times a night to nurse.  he was kind of bad at nursing sidelying up until about 4-5 wks but is now a pro.  he doesn't really even wake up much anymore just fusses/stirs and roots around I wake up enough to get a boob in his mouth and we both pretty much go back to sleep.  now don't get me wrong. I still feel sleep deprived, a little.  you can't get a really good night of sleep with an infant in bed and feeding every so often.  but you get little chunks of sleep. 

Luke is also a baby who doesn't like to be put down.  There are days that he falls asleep on me and if I try to put him down he screams. Last week there was a day I stuck him in his crib and let him scream for about 15 min.  It broke my heart but I had to get a couple things done.  for the most part I can usually put him down in the morning when he falls asleep and in the mid late afternoon. those are his more sound naps.  other than that when I move him he wakes.  and when he sleeps every so often he opens his eyes and looks at us.  DH and I say he's checking to make sure he's still being held.  If he opened them and didn't see us he'd start screaming. I"ve literally held him until he falls asleep and then gently put him down and within 5-10 min. hes up and screaming and then as soon as I pick him up sound asleep again.   I've found that some of my best sleep has been afternoon naps when I lay down with him. 

I do use my baby ktan sling alot.  but having a baby on you when doing household stuff does slow you way down.  It is a lifesaver when he is really fussy.  I was putting him in and taking him for walks in it but now I found that I can bounce on the ball instead of walking and it works the same. 

This is the honeymoon wearing off.  The first few weeks you are content to do nothing more than sit for hours and hold the baby.  Now as we are feeling better as mama's, we want to be able to do more and get back to normal life and the baby is still operating on baby time.  I think that there is no wrong or right.  There are days that you will be able to sit and hold baby and sleep at the same time. There are days where you will have to put a screaming baby in a crib so you can get something done.  Fortunately (and unfortunately, at the same time) the newborn stage doesn't last forever.  Even the most horrible, colic-y, screaming infant grows out of it and eventually we all get a full night sleep again. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#9 of 15 Old 05-22-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

These replies are so wonderful. They really, really help me feel better to know not only that others are struggling with similar issues (so I don't have some sort of abnormal demon baby) and that those who have been there before can reassure me that it will get better. I am counting the days till she's 6 weeks, hoping that means her sleep will start to consolidate somewhat.

Morwenna--hugs on the lack of sleep! I don't know how I'm surviving.

Last night was much better re fussiness. I think the screaming at the boob is definitely at least part being overtired, and maybe some overactive let down, too. I may try the block nursing to see if that helps. But last night here's what happened: After a lot of fussing, DH got her to calm down. it took a while, but he had her in the baby bjorn and just sat and played a computer game while she hung out on his chest. When she started to fuss he'd get up and take her outside for a moment. This let me doze for 45 minutes or so. Then I fed her and he made dinner. MIRACLE: She actually stayed calm but awake in the bouncy seat for 45 minutes while we ate! Just looked around, didn't fuss. It felt like such a breakthrough! Then, we took her for a walk--I carried her in the bjorn and she slept for the 40 minutes or so we were walking. When we got back she started fussing like crazy again, screaming. My nerves were really frayed. We gave her a bath, which didn't help, and then finally swaddled her. DH picked her up and said: "I'm counting to 100" and just started counting in a very calm voice--she was silent within seconds. Fussed again when he stopped, but then he put her in the snuggle nest and put a pacifier in her mouth. When I looked in on them she was awake and just sucking away in her swaddle, with her hair sticking up from the bath. It was hilarious. She fussed again after about 20 min-half hour but I took her into the other room and nursed her while swaddled. It took almost an hour but she stayed calm and fell asleep and we went to bed.

She stayed calm during every night feeding. ALmost too calm--didn't nurse much because she was sleepy. But I got her settled again within an hour each time. Unfortunately, I didn't sleep much at all between feedings--an hour and a half or so. So I am still bone tired. But at least I didn't have to deal with screaming in the night.

Still intimidated by side-lying nursing but will keep practicing on the faith that as she gets bigger it will get easier.

EricaRN--I also have large breasts...sometimes that seems it's part of her frustration as it's harder for her to get a latch at times.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#10 of 15 Old 05-22-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

These replies are so wonderful. They really, really help me feel better to know not only that others are struggling with similar issues (so I don't have some sort of abnormal demon baby) and that those who have been there before can reassure me that it will get better. I am counting the days till she's 6 weeks, hoping that means her sleep will start to consolidate somewhat.

Morwenna--hugs on the lack of sleep! I don't know how I'm surviving.

Last night was much better re fussiness. I think the screaming at the boob is definitely at least part being overtired, and maybe some overactive let down, too. I may try the block nursing to see if that helps. But last night here's what happened: After a lot of fussing, DH got her to calm down. it took a while, but he had her in the baby bjorn and just sat and played a computer game while she hung out on his chest. When she started to fuss he'd get up and take her outside for a moment. This let me doze for 45 minutes or so. Then I fed her and he made dinner. MIRACLE: She actually stayed calm but awake in the bouncy seat for 45 minutes while we ate! Just looked around, didn't fuss. It felt like such a breakthrough! Then, we took her for a walk--I carried her in the bjorn and she slept for the 40 minutes or so we were walking. When we got back she started fussing like crazy again, screaming. My nerves were really frayed. We gave her a bath, which didn't help, and then finally swaddled her. DH picked her up and said: "I'm counting to 100" and just started counting in a very calm voice--she was silent within seconds. Fussed again when he stopped, but then he put her in the snuggle nest and put a pacifier in her mouth. When I looked in on them she was awake and just sucking away in her swaddle, with her hair sticking up from the bath. It was hilarious. She fussed again after about 20 min-half hour but I took her into the other room and nursed her while swaddled. It took almost an hour but she stayed calm and fell asleep and we went to bed.

She stayed calm during every night feeding. ALmost too calm--didn't nurse much because she was sleepy. But I got her settled again within an hour each time. Unfortunately, I didn't sleep much at all between feedings--an hour and a half or so. So I am still bone tired. But at least I didn't have to deal with screaming in the night.

Still intimidated by side-lying nursing but will keep practicing on the faith that as she gets bigger it will get easier.

EricaRN--I also have large breasts...sometimes that seems it's part of her frustration as it's harder for her to get a latch at times.

The side lying nursing definitely gets easier with time. I'm also a large chested mama, and I think it does present special challenges with latch. I can't let go of my breast for the longest time, because it's so heavy it'll fall out of baby's mouth. I think that alone makes nursing a little more tiring, not having a free hand and having to sit there and support the weight of the breast. I envy smaller chested mamas who can just easily latch baby on in one arm and have a free hand to do other things. Things do get much better and easier with a little time though.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#11 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 AM

I don't really have anything new to add... but here ya go.

My girls never ever fell asleep when put down "drowsy but awake". Sometimes DS falls asleep when hanging out in the bouncy seat or swing, but not while laying down flat. I don't know of any baby who falls asleep like that...

Swaddling is the only thing that saved my sanity with super fussy DD2. Definitely check out "Happiest Baby on the Block". We also used a pacifier with her.

Keep practicing the side-lying nursing. This is huge. I actually think being large chested makes this easier, but I don't know, I've never been small chested ;-)

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#12 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 08:40 PM

She sounds colicky--my oldest child was super colicky, and she sounds just the same. I will tell you--my oldest child is an extremely gifted, sensitive child--she plays the violin, and she's very good--plays concertos at age 8. That same intelligent, sensitive temperament led her to scream pretty much nonstop as an infant. So hang in there--the fussiest babies can be very rewarding children.

Three things helped us when my DD was a baby--a pacifier, a tight swaddle, and an old-fashioned wind-up swing. The short, "travel" or "take along" swings were no good--they don't have a fast enough swinging action, but the fastest speeds on the modern swings may be good enough. We call it "the neglect-o-matic" and my youngest child, who's four weeks tomorrow, is napping in it right now. But when I was a first-time mom, I felt terrible about the swing. My oldest child lived in it, and I wanted so much to be nursing her and holding her. But nothing but the swing soothed her. So you might try buying a swing and seeing if it gives you some relief--but be more gentle with yourself than I was. Some kids just have sensitive temperaments, and being a baby is so hard for them! If the swing helps, then take advantage!

My youngest baby benefits so much by being completely swaddled at night--I bought a thing called a "woombie" which is like a sleep sack with no arms. I would recommend this product, or perhaps something like the miracle blanket or another swaddler--the things you buy that control their arms can swaddle more tightly than a blanket, if you are not a professional swaddler--and they might buy you more sleep at night.

I will say that my oldest child was colicky until 12 weeks--you might not be in for that much--but if you even if you are, it got much better around the 3 month mark. Hang in there!

#13 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 AM

Chiming back in to let you know that more and more I am seeing a strong correlation between a good 4pm nap and evening fussyness.   Also, a tight swaddle, more and more is showing to be something that soothes DC almost instantly (though in the evenings she needs more - usually a walk or rock with the swaddle).  I like the Miracle blanket very much.  Worth the money if you think your baby may be into a tight swaddle.  

#14 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 01:21 PM

I know I'm a little late but  I have some info too...

Both of my DDs were fussy about sleep.  They had to be held ALL the time.  I could never put them down.  ever.  if they were asleep they would wake up within 5 min and if they were awake they would scream and freak out.  And it had to be me holding them, no one else would do.  But as long as I held them or had them in the sling they were pretty good and mellow.  I felt like I couldn't do anything other than sit and hold the baby for months.  I think that lasted until they were 2 or 3 months old and it didn't get better over night. 

Back then i would not consider giving them a binky or using a baby swing (aka "the neglect-o-matic"... LOL!!!!) and i didn't know about swaddling.  However now that i have 3 older kids to take care of i just can't sit with the baby all day.  Lucas is 4 weks old and he is an easy baby.  Not b/c he's any different than the other 2, but because i know better now! 

during the day i nurse him to sleep and once he's out I put him in his swing and he will sleep there for a couple hours sometimes, whereas if I put him in the bed he will only sleep for a max of 20 min if I'm really really lucky.  I still don't like the swing, but it really is a good thing for us.  I can put him in the swing while we eat dinner and he will usually hang out in there through the whole meal awake and happy as long as i nurse him first.  But sometimes I still like to just sit and hold him while he sleeps... like right now.  :)

-Here's something I read in a book when DD1 was a baby (i think it was a Dr. Sears book)... to test if the baby is all the way asleep and "ready" to be put down pick up their arm and drop it it.  if they startle or react at all it's not time yet!  The baby should not react at all and the arm should just fall limp and then you can put them down.  This worked really well for me.  It usually took about 20 -30 min after the baby would fall asleep for her to be ready to put down.

-Another helpful tip I read in a book is that when you put them down to stay with them and breathe on the top of their head for a minute.  I read it in "The No Cry Sleep Solution For Toddlers" (this book was like a miracle for us!  There's one for babies too and I highly recommend it!) and I don't remember why it helps, but it really does.  I do it to my 6 yr old sometimes and it still works to help her fall asleep.  I think it's something about the warmth from your breath and the rythym of your breathing. 

sometimes he doesn't want to nurse but he wants to suck, or he's nursed enough that there's nothing left and he gets mad and that's where the pacifier comes in.  I still have mixed feelings about it, but it does make things those times and things like riding in the car or grocery shopping much easier.  As much as I don't like the binky I also know babies need to suck, it's a reflex and they like to do it even when they are not hungry.  I also give him my pinky to suck, but the pacifier is better for when I'm not holding him. 

swaddling is great!  I can't swaddle him if he's awake... he hates it.  I really only do it at night when we go to bed.  I put the swaddler down where he will be sleeping so I don't have to try to move him again and lay him in it.  If he's asleep already I wrap him up and he'll usually sleep through that and stay asleep for a while.  If he's awake I lay him in the swaddler, side-lying nurse him to sleep, breathe on his head until I can sit up without him stirring, then I wrap him up.  If he's swaddled he will usually only wake up 2 or 3 times in the night.  I got one of those swaddler things with the velcro that looks like a baby straight jacket and it works great.  In fact, I had DP go buy more, I think we have 5, because I like them so much!

side lying nursing and co-sleeping are key for my kids.  All of them have been good night time sleepers and I chalk that up to these two things.  Since they're right there with me and usually already in a good position for side lying nursing they would hardly even wake up, just fuss and root a little.  All I had/ have to do is pop the boob in their mouth and we fall back to sleep.  It takes practice to master side-lying nursing, but it is totally worth it.  And for the record, it is hard to do with smaller boobs!  This is probably the only time it's easier to nurse with big boobs b/c the bed holds the boob in place for you. :)

And I also don't know any babies who can be put down awake and just fall asleep.  My nephew is a year old and he can do that, but he has to be very sleepy and my Brother and SIL did "cry it out" with him to get him that way.  poor nephew.  :(

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#15 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Such wonderful tips! Bird Girl--I actually think we are better off than the descriptions I've read of colic--she is fussy but it is rarely unrelenting the way I've heard colic is. It just feels unrelenting because I'm so sleep deprived. However, I have sensed from the start that she is a very sensitive soul--this makes sense, as both DH and I are very sensitive to stimuli (I get overloaded way easily), tend toward anxiety, and are creative types (both writers). Also, I was always being told I was "too sensitive" when I was little, though my mom says I was an easier baby than Eliza is. So I look forward to seeing the person she blossoms into! Your DD sounds like a sweetheart.

OregonicMama--what a practical and helpful post. I am eager to try the breathing on the head thing. Our sleep routine sounds somewhat similar re: the swaddling. I also use the velcro straitjacket thing. She hates it if she's awake enough to sense that her arms are constrained. I usually nurse her asleep, then swaddle her while she's still sleepy. She'll wake up a tiny bit and I rock/bounce her for a few minutes until she goes limp again. Then I can lay her down and she'll generally stay asleep. For some reason it doesn't seem to work during the day, but nights it does.

Also--I am thrilled to report she fell asleep on her own today in the swing! And stayed asleep for two hours! Perhaps my sanity will remain intact, after all? I put her in it while drowsy, and DH and I just sat next to her and talked quietly while she nodded off. The conditions had to be just right, though--we tried a few mintues earlier and she started howling. It had been a fussy morning. But I wore her for a while, she dozed, woke up, nursed--that combination seemed to reset her system so she was calmer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page