Let's share our baby's rhythm. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

It would be helpful to me to get a picture of other baby's rhythm like sleep, eat, pee/poo, moods and when they started to settle into a predictable routine.  So, dish! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wake up 5 am nurse( i pump the other side at this point sleep until 6:30/7ish. get changed and dressed(we use a disposable overnight) nurse hang out awake until 8:30 nap until 10. nurse & change . usually a poop up until about 11:30/12 nap until 2. nurse  & poop. the rest of the day is kind of a blur of eating every 2 hrs or so and dozing off here and there. between 6-8pm we start her bedtime routine. wash up cuddle nurse cuddle sleep around 8ish. I wake her at 10pm and swaddle her lightly  and nurse her. She wakes sometime around 5 am usually from that point. sometimes at 3 am depending on her night. shes an ultra mellow baby though so I am pretty lucky

Annemarie~ married to super hubbysuperhero.gif  ~catholic mom of 4 boys(fencing.gif.17+14)..(ribbonjigsaw.gif.splat.gif7).(.blahblah.gif.5)..(Emmaangel3.gif) Grace Clotilde. 4/10/11 someone new 2/2013

An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog

#3 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 PM

Fiona will be four weeks old tomorrow, so she's not super regimented yet. She's been waking up pretty late--around 9 or 10, but this morning she woke up at 8. She'll nurse, get a new diaper, and be awake for a little while. This morning, I put her down for a nap at 9. She woke up at 10, then nurses and naps on and off for the rest of the day--part of it in the swing, part of it in the sling. She goes to sleep between 11 and 12--sometimes in her bed, but more often, next to me in ours.

#4 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

I think DC would wake at 5:30 because she is super alert at that feeding.  Fortunately, if she plays for a bit before I feed her she will nurse and fall back to sleep until around 7.  At 7 she is awake normally until about 9.  I take DC#1 to school at 8:30.  Sometimes the baby falls asleep in the car, sometimes not.  At about 10 she falls asleep in what appears to be her first nap because it's such a sound sleep.  She has slept anywhere from about 1-2:00.  It's awesome!  She wakes up from her nap really, really hungry and nurses for a while and is generally awake for a couple of hours.  This also tends to be when we take a bath.  I pick DC up from school at 3:30 and the baby sometimes falls asleep in the car but she is always asleep in the sling during pick-up.  At around 4:30 I do whatever I can to get her to take a good nap.  She doesn't sleep as soundly during this time so I bounce, rock, walk, sling or nurse to try to get her a good hour and a half - two hours.  It seems to be the key to a nice evening.  From about 5:30-8 she can be a little fussy.  Still very manageable but she really needs fairly constant attention.  During this time I don't think even she knows if she's hungry or not.  The asks to nurse but then fusses. It's the time of "I just don't know what I want!"  At some point around 8 she seems to be asleep "for the night".  We can sometimes lay her down or just sit holding her w/o rocking.  At around 10 she gets changed into a night time diaper and nurses.  At night she's been waking up around 2, 5 and 7 - not bad (WAY better than DC#1 at this age).  

She likes her swaddle a LOT.  I try to keep her out of it in the morning from about 7-10 (until her morning nap).  Then she says out of it until 4 for that 4pm nap.  She gets out of it again for a few hours until she's fussy in the evening.  Sometimes she gets right back in if she's really fussy, other times she doesn't get in until "bed time".  She sleeps WAY better in the swaddle (we have a Miracle Wrap).  

As far as elimination - that's been interesting.  She doesn't poop that often at all.  She's on the like 4-5 day plan.  It's kind of cool because I have entire loads of diapers that have no poop.  It's also nice to not have to deal with that so often.  The trade off is a HUGE poop that's a little scary for outings.  For instance, today I wanted to run errands but I thought maybe she would poop today.  She didn't, thankfully, because I don't know how I will deal with a poop of that magnitude while I'm out.  The last one got all over my foot, the sling and ALL over the baby.  

EC wise, we're doing OK - though less well than expected.  I have managed to catch a few poops.  Because they're so big it's not that hard to know they're coming.  I wonder how to manage ECing when we're out - maybe a bowl and a disposable bag?  It would be easier to cater to her ECing than changing a huge diaper.  Pee wise, it's not going so great.  I did better when she was really young and now I think she is maybe trained to go in her diaper.  Bummer.  I know she goes more in the AM but the AM is so hectic for us that I just don't feel like I have the time.  Maybe I'll try in the summer.  

Feeding is going great - I'm just nursing on demand.  One thing I would like is if she could get a really good feed in at 10pm.  I may try to tweak the frantic "not even sure I really want to nurse" thing that's happening from about 6-10.  I think I'm maybe offering the breast to soothe her but she doesn't seem that into the idea (unlike DC#1).  Is anyone doing any tweaking of the feeding times?  

#5 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 11:47 AM

icm, nope just nursing on demand... and by that i mean he is usually nursing at the very first cues, which is easy because he seems to have a schedule. orngbiggrin.gif

here's his "rythym":

5/6a - wakes up all smiles, family time - plays in bed with me (mama) while mommy gets ready for work and plays intermittently

6:30-8a - nurse/snooze in bed

8-9a - play on activity mat, breakfast for me

9a - nurse/snooze

10a - nap (sneak away to start load of dipes)

11a - nurse

11:30-12:30p - playtime/bouncyseat (not the whole hour), lunch for me

12:30p - nurse ('til almost asleep)

1-2p - in ERGO for nap while i get things done (mainly dishes and finishing dipes)

2p - nurse

2:30-3p - quiet play/cuddles

3-4p - nurse (mommy gets home at 4p)

4p - hang out with mommy while i (hopefully) make/finish making dinner

4:30p - eat dinner (if i had the chance to prepare it), nurse through dinner

5-6p - in ERGO with mommy, family walk or (if dinner still needs to be made) they walk w/o me

6p - nurse

7-7:30p - playtime

7:30p - nurse

7:3-8:30p - nighttime routine, pjs, book, cuddles with mommy

8:30p - nurse to sleep

9/9:30p - mama and mommy's bedtime, family cuddles

~dream-feed one to two times~

4a - "dream"-feed (i'm not so asleep)

5/6a - wakes - all smiles

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#6 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 11:50 AM

Brena isn't into a really predictable schedule yet- she was one month on Sunday.  She goes to bed for the night around 10:30 or 11, wakes again around 2:30 or 3 to nurse a bit and come to our bed, then sleeps til around 6 and then usually goes back to sleep around 7:30 or 8.  During the day her sleep varies more.  On a good day, she takes a long nap in the morning and the afternoon.  By long, I mean 2-2.5 hours.  Some days she takes a nice evening nap, but others she dozes in and out and never really settles down for a longer nap. I think there is too much going on.  her dad and brother are real bad to wake her up being noisy.  We nurse on demand, and she nurses a lot when she's awake during the day, but not so much at night some nights at her waking, she doesn't nurse, just snuggles in next to me and goes back to sleep.  there's really no rhythm to it that I have noticed yet.    

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#7 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 01:18 PM

Eliza's also only a month on Sunday, and so no real discernible schedule except that she nurses/naps on and off during the day. I feel lucky if we get two solid (2-ish hour) naps; the rest is dozing on my lap after nursing. She's awake for longer periods during the day. We've had a couple days recently where she just didn't seem to feel like sleeping at all. We pay for it with evening fussiness, though, so I'm really trying to help her nap when her cues indicate.

At night, the schedule varies, but generally I can nurse her to sleep from around 9:30-10, and have her asleep by 11 or 11:30. She'll wake up anywhere from 1 to 2:30 or so; I get up to nurse her and have her back down within an hour or two hours if we're having a bad night. She'll sleep until anywhere from 4 to 5:30 ish depending on when she got back to sleep--usually this second chunk is about two hours. Then another hour to get her settled again, and she sleeps for another hour and a half or so, wakes up, then sometimes falls back asleep for another hour.

As you can see, the waking schedule isn't terrible except for the fact that I am up with her for so long each time re-settling her. Sometimes she will nurse for ten minutes and fall right back asleep, but I've found I pay for that by having her wake in another hour or even less. So I try to change her, burp her etc to get her to eat more in hopes that she will also sleep more afterwards.

I have been trying to practice nursing in bed. The truth is, I sleep much better with her in the crib across the room, so this is tricky. Even with earplugs, every noise she makes wakes me up. Also, she gets frustrated with the side-lying nursing--I think she doesn't yet have the head control to maintain a good position/latch (I have larger breasts). When she's bigger I hope this becomes more of our routine--put her to sleep in her crib and then maybe move her to our bed later.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#8 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 07:39 PM

icm~ we tweak nursings and naps so that we stay on a pattern of eat play sleep. EASY Eat Activity Sleep You time what i see a lot of  as a night nanny are parents who call me at 6 or 9 months exhausted because baby wakes up every hour all night sips for two seconds and wont sleep. but if she nurses and falls asleep i dont stress. i hold her a lot and she does take at least one nap with me. but with her being number 5 I need to make sure she has good sleep so i can sleep too. 

Annemarie~ married to super hubbysuperhero.gif  ~catholic mom of 4 boys(fencing.gif.17+14)..(ribbonjigsaw.gif.splat.gif7).(.blahblah.gif.5)..(Emmaangel3.gif) Grace Clotilde. 4/10/11 someone new 2/2013

#9 of 15 Old 05-26-2011, 06:49 AM

DD has become more predictable over the past week or so.  She's 4 weeks tomorrow.  It's easiest to start with nighttime---

Sleeps from 10pm  until 3-5am. 

Nurses for an hour then sleeps until 7am. 

Nurses for an hour or so and "plays".

I pump at 8:30 or so.  She sleeps from 9am to noon.

She'll nurse a good hour and then nap/ nurse/ play until 3 or 4pm.

Nap 3/4 until 5:30pm.

Nurses and plays the rest of the evening until 8pm.

Nurses pretty solid 8pm-10pm.

She nurses a lot!  Two long naps/day 9-noon and a couple hrs in afternoon.  Sleeps 5-7hours at night--usually 7 but dn't want to jinx it! 

Very easy personality--hardly ever cries or complains!  BUT nurses so much I get no free time especially considering my other 3 kids jump right in for their time with mommy when DD is out of my arms for a second. 

BTW, DD is hardly ever actually out of our arms or her sling.  She sleeps next to DH at night (I CAN"T sleep with someone touching me!) and he walks around with her in the sling a few times a day, but mostly she's in my arms nursing at will.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#10 of 15 Old 05-26-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

It's so cool to see how similar some of your babies' routines are.  

I wonder if anyone is starting to see 3 naps?  We may be seeing that for the first time (DC is 6.5 weeks).  I think we may end up with a morning nap about 2 hours after waking up then an afternoon nap ending around 3 and an evening nap around 5.  

I've got to work around DC#1's school so I will have to decide if it works better to get up with DC at her 5:30 feeding or try to get her to go back to sleep for another hour.  I think I can kind of pick for now but I need to figure what works best.  

#11 of 15 Old 05-26-2011, 11:58 AM

Kittn--what do you tell parents with that complaint? I know I'm jumping the gun but I'm worried DD may be heading in that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post

icm~ we tweak nursings and naps so that we stay on a pattern of eat play sleep. EASY Eat Activity Sleep You time what i see a lot of  as a night nanny are parents who call me at 6 or 9 months exhausted because baby wakes up every hour all night sips for two seconds and wont sleep. but if she nurses and falls asleep i dont stress. i hold her a lot and she does take at least one nap with me. but with her being number 5 I need to make sure she has good sleep so i can sleep too. 

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#12 of 15 Old 05-26-2011, 06:32 PM

our babies are so little right now. try not to worry too much.

we encourage "good sleep habits" try not to nurse to sleep every time. its great that nursing calms babies. Its a wonderful thing, but if they dont learn other ways to let you sooth them it may be difficult later. I encourage nursing and then cuddles and such before they fall asleep. trying to maintain an EASY pattern Eat Activity Sleep You time. here is why.  if every time baby falls asleep its at the breast it become the norm for baby. then at night most babies wake up anywhere from every 30 minutes to ever 2 hrs. they will then wake up and not be able to sleep. I dont always jump to feed a baby when they wake at nigh. i just pat them and often times that works. they just dont want to be alone (can we blame them how scary it must be) if they arent settling with a pat I pick them up. sway and cuddle. then paci and check diaper. then if nothing else works I nurse them. I dont encourage CIO. but I warn parents from the begining. there is no WRONG way to do things but know that whatever habits you set up at 3 months will be the habits you are dealing with until they can be reasoned with so around 2 or 3. 

I may be selfish but I need my sleep, so helping my baby to sleep without stress as shes learning about the world is smarter for me than not.

When parents call me at 6 months I tell them to make sure that they arent feeding every hour fr 30 minutes. that they try to space the feedings a little more. strickly breastfed babies no more than 3 hours no less than 2.5 and formula babies / babies with lots of solids no more than 4 no less than 3. to ensure baby is getting enough during the day and taking full feedings rather than snacking. Some parents are ok with the snacking thing, but it isnt fair to baby to allow one thing during the day and another at night. you cant change the rules on them. its not nice or fair. start bedtime routines and try everything else (swaddle,cuddle,paci,rocking,patting,exercise ball) before feeding  at night  before 4 hours I am talking for older babies not our new ones.

that said the first 4-6 weeks you cannot hold them or love them or cuddle them too much. around 5-6 weeks it might be good to start looking at what patterns and habits your creating and decide if it is going to work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

Kittn--what do you tell parents with that complaint? I know I'm jumping the gun but I'm worried DD may be heading in that direction.

beckwith likes this.

#13 of 15 Old 05-27-2011, 06:03 AM

okay- I have a question. We have co-slept with both girls and also with Luke so far.  BUT I don't really want to this time.  I mean, I love sleeping with him but I want to maintain some 'mommy/daddy' closeness and maybe it was because the girls were so close in age and their were 2 of them but DH and I practically didn't touch for 3 years with the girls in our bed.  Even more so, I feel like I am not sleeping well this time because he wants to go right to the breast 2-3 times per night and hes also a really restless sleeper.  and his squirminess keeps me up.  But really, I have no idea how to get him in a bed.  I have the pack and play set up right next to my side of the bed.  I can reach in and touch him/pat him, etc.  but everytime I put him in it he wakes up screaming.  Anyone have any advice on how to get him to sleep in his own space?  If it doesn't work out I am okay with him staying in bed with us.  I mean, it is such a short amount of time in the scheme of things but if we could get him to be comfortable next to us that woulld be awesome. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#14 of 15 Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 AM

will he sleep in a bouncy seat? i was also having co-sleeping issues due to noises and squirminess but my daughter is doing awesome in her bounvy seat. she's one month tomorrow so I may try transitioning to bassinet in the next couple of weeks.

Mom to DD1 8/09 and DD2 4/11

#15 of 15 Old 05-27-2011, 02:17 PM

ts a lot of repeat repeat repeat. start at naps. one nap time a day in the place you want him to sleep for the night. the others can be anywhere you want. it takes a ton of repetition to make it work but it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat View Post

okay- I have a question. We have co-slept with both girls and also with Luke so far.  BUT I don't really want to this time.  I mean, I love sleeping with him but I want to maintain some 'mommy/daddy' closeness and maybe it was because the girls were so close in age and their were 2 of them but DH and I practically didn't touch for 3 years with the girls in our bed.  Even more so, I feel like I am not sleeping well this time because he wants to go right to the breast 2-3 times per night and hes also a really restless sleeper.  and his squirminess keeps me up.  But really, I have no idea how to get him in a bed.  I have the pack and play set up right next to my side of the bed.  I can reach in and touch him/pat him, etc.  but everytime I put him in it he wakes up screaming.  Anyone have any advice on how to get him to sleep in his own space?  If it doesn't work out I am okay with him staying in bed with us.  I mean, it is such a short amount of time in the scheme of things but if we could get him to be comfortable next to us that woulld be awesome. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page