introducing a bottle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

excuse typos... nak

dh and i are complete bottle feeding failures. we tried with both dd's but neither ever took to it. dd1 we tried around 4 weeks, and 6 weeks with dd2. it didn't really matter that they didn't take a bottle, so we just gave up after a few tries.

now with ds i would like to start training for a half marathon, which means i'll be away from him for a couple-few hours at a time and i'd really like for him to be able to eat!

he's 8 weeks old and dh's tried twice and he screamed both times. he used an avent slow (newborn?) nipple and bottle. i just bought a "breastflow" bottle yesterday and will have dh try that tonight.

NOW, to my question: is there a way to make this easier? how and when did you introduce a bottle to your little one? did they take to it right away? will he eventually get it if we just keep trying?

Please tell me your tricks!

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

oh, and how much milk does he need for one feeding? I pumped 5 oz from one side in about 10 mins this morning. do you think that's a good amount to leave for a feeding?

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 AM

Wow--that's a ton of milk to get that fast!  That should be enough for one feeding.  My bottles (that I never used) only hold 4 oz.  I don't have any helpful advice about introducing a bottle since we never got around to it, but if your DS refuses, your DH could always try a cup or a spoon.  DS probably won't take a bottle from you or with you anywhere around because he'll smell you and want to nurse instead.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I've heard that warming the nipple can help.  Not cold because well, last I checked unless I decided to freeze my boobs for some reason, they tend to be warm :-)

DS2 refuses bottles from me and will fussily/very messily take one from DH.  PS Your pumping sounds like mine!  If I pump I get like 5-6 oz out of 1 side and DS2 is only 6 weeks!  He just had that growth spurt too...still trying to recover wild.gif

Loving wife to DH  mama to DS1 3/13/09 , DS2 4/20/11   and DS3 1/12/13 Professional and attempting to  while     
Old 06-06-2011, 12:06 PM

NAK

just popping in to say that after 4 unsuccessful attempts by DP (3 different nipples, including the Breastflow), I was successful giving DS a bottle! he is 9W+1D. used a playtex latex nipple. he was waking after a 3 hour nap, so he was very hungry but still sleepy. DP had tried when he was hungry (but already fussing about it), after a breast feeding and once during playtime. all of those times were in the evening. today was around noontime, he's generally happier during the day. I don't know if that'll help you at all... I dont even know that it'll work again or if DP can be successful but I am more hopeful now!

G/L!

ETA: I don't think the Breastflow worked very well... the concept is great but the nipple is SO SMALL!!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 06-06-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, warm the nipple, of course! DH warmed the milk, but neither of us thought about the nipple.

I'll have dh try again in the middle of the day when ds is happier. Bummer about the breastflow... I felt so overwhelmed when I was in the bottle aisle. All the nipples look the same to me! The playtex looked like the avent we had already tried, but I guess they're all different?

Thank you, all!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannybanany View Post

Ah, warm the nipple, of course! DH warmed the milk, but neither of us thought about the nipple.

I'll have dh try again in the middle of the day when ds is happier. Bummer about the breastflow... I felt so overwhelmed when I was in the bottle aisle. All the nipples look the same to me! The playtex looked like the avent we had already tried, but I guess they're all different?

Thank you, all!

I know what you mean i was o overwhelmed in the bottle aisle as well! I imagine different babies like different nipples, I hope DH has/had good luck with the Breastflow! smile.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 PM

Luke did great with the bottle from the 1st one.  We have to bottle feed because I am going back to work.  With my girls me going back to work was the downfall of breastfeeding- hoping that isn't the case this time.  anyway- getting off topic there.... dd1 did great with any old bottle we put in her mouth.  I have a feeling Luke would be the same way.  That crazy middle child, though!!  it was literally the weekend before I went back to work when we finally got her to do it.  we tried several different bottles.  what finally worked was the playtex nurser.  we have the drop in kind.  i don't know if it has as much to do w/ the type of nipple  or that she finally just got the hang of it but we stuck with the drop ins throughout the duration. 

also- if you are pumping that much how forceful does your milk come out?  if you have a forceful let down and then are using a super slow nipple maybe she isnt used to that?  maybe a medium flow nipple- just a thought. 

fwiw- the lc i saw said she has had ppl have good results with tommee tippee bottles. said they are most like breastfeeding, but i personally

havent used. 

oh and way to go on the 1/2!!  have you done one before?  I've done 2. its a great distance.  I'm going to be training for one in December and am planning on doing a sprint tri in august. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Success! He took 3 oz from the breastflow. Not sure if it's the bottle or that he finally figured out how to suck on something other than boob ;-) And I did warm the nipple.

Becca, this is my first half. I'll probably be walking most of the way ;) I was so active, working out until about 37 weeks, but haven't been to the gym or even walked more than a couple of miles since then... it's going to be a rough 5 months of training!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:17 AM

glad he finally took to the bottle.  I think that is how it was with Sada, too.  We tried a bunch and stuck with the one that worked but I think it was just a matter of her finally figuring it out not as much the actual type of bottle. 

I like the 1/2 distance.  its more challenging than a 5k or 10k but not horrible (like a full!) Do you have a plan you are following? I train with a group and I love it.  They even bought me a super awesome jogging stroller for my baby shower! We have a coach who puts together our training runs for us (and swims and bike rides for tris) Its great.  I highly recommend finding a group to train with if you can.  I was able to take 3 minutes off off my mile time when I was training.  Now I'm so slow. I ran 3.3 last night and it took 39 minutes- before this pregnancy I was running a 27min 5k.  But I just started back up so I guess I'll get there again.  Hard to run fast when you are carrying around 40 extra pounds!

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif

User Tag List