Ideas for play? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

What are your babies doing/playing with now? Sometimes I think Wyatt gets a little bored... I need some new ideas of things we can do!

Wyatt normally plays in a chair with a toy bar or has naked time while I shower, plays on his activity mat, has tummy time, and we interact (I talk and sing to him and we coo back and forth). Sometimes I show him picture books (he likes one with lots of baby pictures).

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#2 of 15 Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That sounds about where we're at. E can bat at things hanging from a toy bar and really likes her activity mat. Apart from that, I walk around with her and show her things outside (leaves, cars going by, etc.) and more than anything, she seems to really like just observing. Her dad reads to her every night and we try to have a little family chat time where she sits on our knees (leaning back, facing us, while we lie down) and we converse. She's also responding a little more now when I play goofy games like walking my fingers up her stomach or poking her. (She's 10 weeks today)

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#3 of 15 Old 07-03-2011, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Can E. grab toys on the bar? Wyatt can't yet, but he's close (maybe in the next few days?). I've been giving him toys to grasp for the past couple of days and he seems to like that, but can't quite pick them up/drop them without help. We've also taken him out in the stroller (we were just carrying him or using slings/wraps before).

Wyatt went crazy earlier today when I switched a lamp on and off several times for him... it was pretty cute love.gif

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

#4 of 15 Old 07-04-2011, 08:07 AM

nak

I like the light switch idea! I'llhave to try that.

Funny you ask--just yesterday we saw her grab at some rings and hold them for a bit. She did it more than once! We;re trying to figure out if she's right- or left-handed (we're both lefties) but I think it's a bit early. I can't wait for her to become more coordinated!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#5 of 15 Old 07-10-2011, 02:17 PM

Our dd loves when we sing action songs like head and shoulders and this little piggy. My dh also reads to her every night. We are finding that she enjoys playing and interacting with us more and more every day.  Let the fun begin!

#6 of 15 Old 07-11-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

We do This Little Piggy and If you're happy and you know it. I'll have to try some new ones. Thank you for reminding me that more exist!

#7 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 10:11 AM

My DD has a Lamaze crib mirror that is polka dotted on the back, and for whatever reason she is OBSESSED with these polka dots! We hold it up for her and she immediately smiles, coos, and reaches out to touch it. It's adorable. We're always like, "Okay, wanna look at your dots?"

She also seems to like it when I walk my fingers up her belly and poke her nose. She's really into grabbing now, too, and loves her activity mat.

#8 of 15 Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Awww, that sounds so cute! Does she like to look in the mirror too?

Wyatt is starting to grab things more now, but seems to prefer using gross motor skills. Right now he likes trying to stand up when music plays.

I've started letting Wyatt smell things when I'm in the kitchen. He seems to like apples and lettuce. He likes watching me cook.

#9 of 15 Old 07-16-2011, 10:22 AM

That's so neat he tries to stand during music! I worry I don't play Eliza enough music, though she does like standing and "walking"--I think she's a pretty kinetic baby who likes to be in on the action (lately she fusses if one of us doesn't hold her during dinner--she is no longer content to sit in the bouncy chair while we eat). Kudos on stimulating Wyatt's different senses--I am trying to be better about that. For example, I took her outside yesterday and ran the hose so she could stick her hands in the stream of water.

She's not as into the mirror as she is into the dots (which seriously must kick off a powerful neurochemical reaction--she gets SO excited), but day before yesterday she actually smiled at her own reflection--it was pretty neat.

Is Wyatt getting more vocal, too? I love hearing Eliza "talk" as she plays.

#10 of 15 Old 07-17-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

What did Eliza think of the running water? Have you tried showering with her? I sometimes take Wyatt in with me and he seems to have a good time (I don't use soap or shampoo when he's in there though. Too slippery!). On the music front, we play more of what we like. I sing a decent amount of lullabies to Wyatt, but we don't really play those for him. He doesn't seem to care though as long as there seems to be a consistent beat.

I know what you mean about holding LO during a meal! It's pretty neat that they want to be part of the action though. joy.gif How long does Eliza like to be in her bouncy seat at non-meal times?

It must have been adorable to see her smile at herself! I love the dots- such a cute reaction Eliza has!

Yes, LOTS of talking here! Cooing to himself and toys, and mimicking sounds that DH and I make to him. I love all the little noises too! So sweet love.gif

#11 of 15 Old 07-30-2011, 06:39 PM

Sorry, just saw this! Guess we're all pretty busy these days. Anyway, she seemed pretty interested in the running water, but not quite sure what to make of it. I haven't tried showering with her yet, mostly because she's still pretty on edge about baths--we finally JUST had our first tear-free one yesterday. I think I'll try bathing with her first (now she's still in her baby tub) and then try the shower later. I just read about water slings--do you use one? I'm a bit afraid of dropping her...

E has an amazing attention span for both the bouncy seat and lately, the activity mat/'arches of neglect". She likes the arches better--seems to have gotten a bit bored with the bouncy seat. She'll last up to 20 min in the seat--I usually put her there in the mornings while I eat breakfast and shower. But she'll stay under the arches for up to 45 minutes or so--it's amazing how into just grabbing and shaking the different toys she is. I worry she's almost too into it--makes me feel neglectful to not be interacting with her directly--but she really seems to love it. I recently hung a mirror from it. I love lying down there with her and trying to see things from her perspective.

So the latest development is laughing--she's slowly but surely emitting sounds that are becoming recognizable giggles. How about Wyatt--is he laughing yet? Any other exciting developments lately?

Anyone else wanna chime in? I'd love to know what our DDC babies are up to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapigeon View Post

What did Eliza think of the running water? Have you tried showering with her? I sometimes take Wyatt in with me and he seems to have a good time (I don't use soap or shampoo when he's in there though. Too slippery!). On the music front, we play more of what we like. I sing a decent amount of lullabies to Wyatt, but we don't really play those for him. He doesn't seem to care though as long as there seems to be a consistent beat.

I know what you mean about holding LO during a meal! It's pretty neat that they want to be part of the action though. joy.gif How long does Eliza like to be in her bouncy seat at non-meal times?

It must have been adorable to see her smile at herself! I love the dots- such a cute reaction Eliza has!

Yes, LOTS of talking here! Cooing to himself and toys, and mimicking sounds that DH and I make to him. I love all the little noises too! So sweet love.gif

#12 of 15 Old 08-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Silas was 18 weeks yesterday and will be 4 months on Thursday... weird how that math goes.

I've just recently tried the shower, no soap of course. he seems so indifferent about water. shrug.gif he will play in his bouncy seat for 10 minutes or less, he used to like it better. he's been digging the activity mat pretty good lately, he had in the past then seemed to get bored, we switched to a leap frog activity center he was really enjoying and now back to the play mat with some added hangies and toys surrounding him. he's starting to roll onto his side and is able to spin around to switch his head to foot position. does that make any sense? if I put his head facing north, feet south he rolls/scoots on his back until he has feet facing south and head north.

he also started to giggle here and there. I love it!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#13 of 15 Old 08-02-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Blanca- I was a little nervous about trying a shower too, but now it feels like less of a hassle than using the baby tub. I get the shower going before getting in and put Wyatt up on my shoulder. I've never heard of water slings, but I imagine they're handy! I haven't taken a bath with Wyatt yet, but it sounds like fun! Let us know how it goes for you!

Wow, she does have a great attention span! Wyatt was playing on his for 25-ish minutes, but lately he hasn't wanted to be out of my arms (I think it's because of teething). I like the variety of toys that can hang from the arches and I'm always trying to improvise something new. It seems like most of the toys for the arches make the same sounds... they crinkle, jingle, or rattle. I think I may try to get something to clank together (measuring spoons?).

Wyatt giggles when DH and I laugh. I love that babies copy their parents- so cute! He's also squealed a few times, but I can't figure out why yet. He's definitely "talking" now too. He says hi in greeting to family and when he is upset he seems to say "mama", but he doesn't say it at any other time.

I've noticed Wyatt watching me eat for a while now and he's started trying to take my food, so I've let him taste a few fruit slices (apple, pear, and peach). whistling.gif It seems to satisfy his curiosity though.

Wehrli- sounds like Silas has a lot of neat things to do! Wyatt sometimes switches direction too, but it always seems to be when I'm not looking! Does Silas roll over yet? Wyatt doesn't even try yet. I think his upper body isn't strong enough yet.

#14 of 15 Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 AM

mamapigeon, Silas has rolled over from front to back... a total of 3 times. about 3 weeks ago he did it for me once, for his mama (DP) the very next day and didn't again until a couple of days ago. but I did manage to catch it on video! orngbiggrin.gif
you are right about th toys... not very much variety. DS doesn't seem to mind, he just wants to pull everything to his mouth anyway... measuring spoons sound like a good idea, though! maybe I'll try to get a set from a thrift store...

Silas' favorite thing to do is people watch... he loves people. he never minds if someone else holds him! I reckon that he will be a social person, unlike his mommies. smile.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#15 of 15 Old 08-03-2011, 11:54 AM

I agree, the spoons are a great idea! I hung a gauzy scarf (for supervised use only, of course) and she did enjoy grabbing that and wrapping it around her hands. I spoke a bit too soon about the attention span. I mean, she DOES seem to have a really good one (we did a photo shoot Sunday and she lasted an hour and a half --the photographer said most babies can only go 30 minutes). But she has suddenly gotten bored with the arches and the bouncy seat, and started fussing after not too long. Not sure if it's developmental and she's moving beyond those toys, or just a phase because she's been fussier in general the last couple weeks.

Wehrli--I'm impressed at how much he's moving around! Eliza has occasionally rolled from back to side, but not all the way over, and doesn't scoot that much. In the mornings I sometimes find she's wiggled down in her crib, but that's about it. She HATES being on her stomach, and so we haven't done much tummy time--don't know if that's part of it. She's very strong and has good head control, so I'm not too worried, but do wonder if I should push the tummy time issue a bit more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page