TEETHING! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-14-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone's babe teething yet? Silas is definitely starting... what do/will/have y'all used to ease pain/discomfort? i planned on using Hyland's Teething Tabs but they aren't available for now... anyone used their teething gel? anyone used clove oil? other homeopathic remedies? we've also been using cold, wet washcloths and silicone teething rings but he needs something for sleep time.

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#2 of 10 Old 07-15-2011, 10:50 AM

I noticed the signs of teething weeks ago.   Then on DDs 3 month birthday I saw three coming in on the bottom.  Two days later I saw two on the top.  I think there is one more trying but hasn't come through yet.  I put her amber teething necklace on her when I noticed the drooling.  That is all I have given her.  A couple of times a day she will eat her fist and chomp on her fingers but that it is.  She won't take a teething ring.  Oh, and NONE of the teeth are in the front.  She's completely not following protocol here. LOL

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#3 of 10 Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

interesting... i have an amber braclet on Silas... seems to be helping but he is just being quite fussy even so. i think he is also going through his "3 month growth spurt", he is constantly... and i don't think it's all for comfort because there are plenty of times where he seems uncomfortable and gives "hunger" cues and then he won't stay on the breast. then i let him gum on my fingers and he goes to town. last night was better, i tried Hyland's teething gel... it seems to help, some. i should check the back of his mouth 'cause i don't see teeth in the front, though my partner says she does. IDK.

thanks! smile.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#4 of 10 Old 07-17-2011, 02:39 AM

Lucas is definitely teething.  He is drooling like mad and loves to chew on our fingers.  He is completely uninterested in the teething rings, though.  I am bummed about the hylands tabs.  They were great for my girls.  I told DH not to get the clove stuff but maybe we will.   So far he hasn't been too fussy but the chewing and drooling is getting worse and I can tell sometimes he is uncomfortable. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#5 of 10 Old 07-17-2011, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My little guy is drooling like crazy and biting his fists, but I haven't seen anything in his mouth yet...

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#6 of 10 Old 07-19-2011, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

well, my little guy seems better after a few very difficult days.. the drooling is still there (mostly in the evenings) but his extreme fussiness and manic chewing has tapered off a bit. we tried clove oil but he hated it! I think it was too strong. then I tried to nurse him for comfort but he couldn't seem to nurse after the clove oil, maybe his mouth was *too* numb?! I'm bummed about hylands but I read that the teething gel is pretty much the same stuff... so I went to one of our homeopathic stores in town and got some. the owner agreed it was basically the same. we used it and it seemed to help. I may try the clove oil again but heavily dilute it with olive oil or something. no teeth yet, so I'm sure that was just the beginning!
thanks for all of your input everyone! smile.gif

#7 of 10 Old 07-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Lucas has been showing signs of teething too.  He'll drool and chew his hands and get really fussy.  I don't think he'll get teeth soon though.  I think they're just moving up toward the surface.  I was planning to use Hyland's tabs as well.  We got different homeopathic teething tabs called Humphries.  You dissolve them in water.  They seemed to help, but was sort of difficult to give him the water.  So we got the Hyland's gel and it works great. 

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#8 of 10 Old 07-21-2011, 08:58 PM

I realize this is really long- but if you're considering using an amber teething necklace, please read this!  I'm on a quest to warn all the mamas I can about what happened with my dd's amber teething necklace yesterday.  I was having a hard time getting her to sleep & she finally fell asleep on my legs, with her head resting near my knees.  It's VERY hot here so she had no shirt on and I was wearing shorts- so her amber teething necklace was directly against my skin.  She slept like that for about 45 mins.  Then, last night I noticed I had several red bumps on my leg, each about the size of a mosquito bite.  But they were too regularly sized and spaced to be random bug bites or anything like that.  I didn't think much of it because they weren't bothering me.  That is until today when at first, they were just a little sore whenever my dress or anything else brushed against them.  Then they each developed a blister in the center and they are very painful, constantly.  I had wondered if it might be the necklace because I knew that was right where she was laying and when we laid the necklace next to the spot it was obvious that the size & spacing of the welts matched the necklace perfectly.  Apparently I have an allergy to baltic amber- which I did not realize was possible.  It seems to be pretty rare- but I am not a person who is prone to allergies so I would never have thought this would happen to me.  I am SO, SO grateful that this happened to me instead of my sweet little 6 month old baby girl.  She has not had any negative reaction to the necklace.  But when I researched the necklace, I had a hard time deciding whether or not to try it out.  In the end I thought- "well, what harm can it do to try it?"  If I had known that it could have caused something like this I definitely would have wanted to know.  That's why I feel like I need to tell all the mamas who are thinking about trying one of these on their little babies!  I'm attaching a pic- sorry it is so huge and not the greatest but you can see the little blisters that formed in each welt.  Each one was a lot more red around the blister and more connected before I slathered them in benadryl cream...

welts 005.jpg

#9 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 02:20 PM

My son cut four teeth before getting an amber necklace (top and bottom) and has since cut 5 more with. The difference was night and day! He was miserable, in pain, didn't sleep or eat well and drooled like crazy. The necklace helps a lot, he is now cutting molars and apart form the odd day, he is doing great!  I got one from http://butter-n-honey.com and its knotted between each bead and has a safety clasp. If it gets caught on something it will break and if it breaks only one bead will come off. I would do anything to help my baby when he's in pain so I tried it and it worked!

I have never heard of an allergy before, I hope you are feeling better now!

#10 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I can feel some teeth under my ds's gums! Hurray joy.gif He hasn't been as fussy, but whew, it's drool city here!

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page