Nursing Mamas - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still nursing my 13 month old. So far things are fine but I don't know if I'm going to be too interested in tandem nursing. I'm already feeling guilty at the idea of moving our baby to her own bed and weaning is even more daunting.

Button 08-12-09 

Baby Vi 05-18-11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 59 Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyand3littlemonsters View Post
it's starting to hurt when caden latches on now i hope it doesn't last because this is what made me give up with cameron and caitlin.
I'm just at 5wks myself & have started getting REALLY tender as DD latches on & for the first few mins of nursing. I'm wondering how much of it is me getting more tender & her possibly teething. She always nurses harder just before a new tooth errupts. With all 4 canines & the 2yr molars still to go I can only hope they'll be done before the new babe arrives! Ouch!

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
#33 of 59 Old 09-13-2010, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I guess I should be here, too, then. I just got a positive test and my period is due today, so I might be counting my chickens a bit early, but anyway...

I'm nursing my 18-month-old and so worried about losing our nursing relationship. It is very important to me...

Anyway, I was looking around online and found this on Dr. Jay Gordon's site:

"Pregnancy

Sometimes a mom finds herself needing to maintain a supply in order to nurse through a pregnancy. In some cases mom finds that the supply and demand system works out nicely and they have no problems nursing right through pregnancy. In other cases mom finds she needs a little help. There are mild galactagogues that are safe to take in pregnancy. These herbs can also be used in combination of two or three.

Nettle up to 2 capsules 3 times a day
Dill up to 2 ml tincture 3 times a day
Marshmallow up to 4 capsules 3 times a day"

Don't know if I or anyone here will need it, but I thought it couldn't hurt to put here for reference later on.

I've also heard we should be sure to get enough calcium.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#34 of 59 Old 09-14-2010, 01:50 PM

Hi! I haven't officially joined yet, but I'm due May 4 and I'm nursing my almost-3-year-old. He's been complaining that there's no milk. Does anyone know if we can drink Mother's Milk Tea while pregnant? The box says to ask your provider.
#35 of 59 Old 09-14-2010, 02:02 PM

Hezzy,

No, avoid fenugreek (which is in Mother's Milk Tea) while pregnant. I listed a few alternatives in a post just a little up this page. I imagine oats are also still good. I've read that let-down is as much, if not more of a problem than supply right now, so try to relax as much as possible. I imagine some gentle compression couldn't hurt either.

#36 of 59 Old 09-14-2010, 03:51 PM

I am nursing my 24 month old son. He is nursing more than ever, pretty much all night long plus many many times during the day. I think he's trying to keep my supply up. I am only 5 or 6 weeks pregnant and my nipples are not sore yet, but I am pretty tired. I really love mothering him at the breast. This afternoon he is asking for more food so maybe my supply is going down and he is going to eat a bit more.
#37 of 59 Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 PM

puff- thanks for the herbal recc's!

I just whipped up a batch of banana oatmeal cookies. Every time I have made these in the past year I get super engorged. I figured I would have some dough in the freezer in case my supply starts to tank. There is way more motivation for me to eat a cookie than cook up a bowl of oatmeal

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#38 of 59 Old 09-14-2010, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the info, puffnstuff! I'm headed to the store to look for some herbs. I had a big bowl of oatmeal this morning - I used to have problems with oversupply, so had to cut it out. I'm going to make some cookies too, penstamon!

I, too, have a lot of nipple pain. That was my first symptom, actually, and it's pretty intense. I've got him concentrating on a wide latch, but owie!! It hurts at first, and then gets better.
#39 of 59 Old 09-14-2010, 07:53 PM

Since finding out, I've gradually cut my 29 month old down to only a short session before bed, and nightweaned him.

My 16 month old is still nursing a lot.

Planning on weaning #1 and waiting to see what happens with #2. I wouldn't mind tandeming again.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#40 of 59 Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 PM

I'm still nursing my 23mo ds. He's down to only 1-2 times a day though, and it's usually fairly quick sessions. I expect that he'll completely wean sometime during the pregnancy.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#41 of 59 Old 09-14-2010, 10:20 PM

Moms who's babes nurse all night long, do you cosleep? I have been cosleeping with DS since birth (he starts out in his bed at night, but comes in our bed halfway through) and nurses to sleep for naps and bedtime. What do you guys plan on doing once baby #2 arrives? Still cosleep? Tandem and cosleep with both? I just cant imagine ever getting any sleep if I were to tandem and cosleep. I would imagine getting even less sleep nursing two babes and cosleep with one and not the other. I just cant imagine how any mom sleeps nursing two kids through the night. I have sleep issues of my own, so put 2 nightnursers in the mix, I can't imagine that sleep would ever be possible. Tips? I go to bed at night fine, but wake up 4 hours later and can't get back to sleep. The ONLY thing that has helped is taking zyrtec daily. I hate being hooked on a drug, but nothing else has worked. I just got some bloodwork done today so I'm waiting for test results to see if there's anything hormonally going on to cause this. I wake even if DS doesn't wake to nurse. I would almost welcome only being awoken by kids at night and be able to get back to sleep on my own!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#42 of 59 Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 PM

I cosleep and my son nurses all night long. What I am *hoping* to do when baby comes is to put my son in-between my husband and me, and pray, pray, pray the new kid will be the sort who lets me put him/her in the cosleeper without waking. Another option we're thinking of, but don't really have room for is to put a twin bed next to ours or get a king size, again keeping toddler-boy in the middle and keeping newborn on my side. I know it'll be awful not matter what at first, though. What I really need is a bedroom that is just ALL bed. So, I guess the short answer is we're planning/hoping to tandem and co-sleep, but I know it'll be tricky for a while. If we had two "functional" bedrooms, I might nurse toddler-boy to sleep in one of them and my husband would join him later and have a bed for just new-baby and I for a while. Except, I think that might lead to some resentment or confusion for toddler-kid, and I'm already feeling nervous about that. So maybe a twin bed for toddler-kid in our room, if we can fit it, and I'll nurse him to sleep in it. I think by the time new-baby comes, he'll be nursing less at night, but I've heard they can increase their nursing around the time of a new arrival.

*sigh*

I guess I just don't know...

#43 of 59 Old 09-15-2010, 09:17 AM

I'm in the same boat with a cosleeping DD. She's never slept anywhere else so I'm not sure how it's all going to go. I'm ok with tandem, it's just the night nursing tandem that I'm not so sure about. We have a king now so I had thought about either putting a toddler bed in our room & trying to transition her to that or giving her a "big girl bed" which would be a double in a separate bdrm. I guess I'll keep the options open, maybe DH could sleep with her in the other room & baby & I stay in my bed. I worry about how a newborn's night habbits might keep DD & DH awake.

For anyone who has nursed a toddler through pg before - please tell me the nipple tenderness gets better! I just about cry every time DD latches from the pain but after a few mins it usually gets better. It's not enough for me to consider weaning or anything but I sincerely hope it won't be like this all the way through!

#44 of 59 Old 09-15-2010, 10:11 PM

Still bfing here. No problems yet but I'm barely 4 weeks so. We'll see if my milk dries up or if it gets painful... So far I don't think the taste has changed.
I'll probably just let him nurse til it's gone. I'm undecided on tandeming.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#45 of 59 Old 09-16-2010, 01:57 AM

This is actually the first time in 8 years I've been pregnant and NOT nursed through it!

But I wanted to add my two cents as a prior tandemer. The very beginning hurts terrible, and worst of all it makes your skin crawl. It's as though your body is really telling you to STOP DOING THIS NOW. My personal theory on this is natural child spacing, encouraging us to wean our older children once we got pregnant at 3-4 years postpartum so we could focus our nutrients on maintaining one life form. Necessary due to scavenging for nutrition. (This is just my personal theory, not backed by anything!).

Anyway... it's awful in the beginning, but I found it passed by 2-3 months. It returned briefly at the end of pregnancy but not nearly as bad as in the beginning. If you can tough it out, you're good.
ALSO: your nipples are crazy insane sensitive right now, and many many toddlers have a lazy toddler latch... which only makes things worse. I found in most cases (myself, friends, people I counseled) the majority of the pain was caused by a lazy toddler latch. Work HARD with them on maintaining proper newborn latching protocol.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#46 of 59 Old 09-16-2010, 06:28 PM

My two kiddos are 29 and 16 months. I have nightweaned my 29 month old DS since finding out I was pregnant, and gradually weaned him to only nursing once a day.

Last pregnancy, I was nursing and cosleeping all night. We transitioned my 13 month old DS into a toddler bed to start off the night, but generally we ended up in a big nursing pile by morning. It gradually got more manageable and as he started off the night in his own space frequently I'd have three or more hours before he woke up and joined us.

I'm not sure what this will look like this time. DD, 16 months, starts out the night in her playpen, then joins us whenever she wakes. She'll be 2 when the baby comes, and I'll want the playpen (especially the bassinet setting feature) for the baby. So I'm guessing we'll transition her to a bed by then. Either way I think that I'll end up cosleeping two again but I think she'll be old enough that I'll possibly nightwean her before the baby comes if she is still nursing a lot at night.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#47 of 59 Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 PM

We have a family bed and my ds who just turned 2 nurses most of the night, and some nights ALL night. We will continue with the family bed bc he just seems really young to sleep anywhere else to me. I am going to take the night nursing well, night by night, and see how things change as the pregnancy goes on. I have a friend who sometimes had to alternate between nursing her newborn and her toddler back to sleep, and I know they had some hard moments, probably some hard nights, but they have made it through. I think the toddler still nurses to sleep and sometimes needs to nurse if she wakes up too. I just borrowed a copy of LLL's book Adventures in Tandem Nursing and am looking forward to reading more of it.
#48 of 59 Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 AM

I am nursing my 12month old... I am not planning on Tandem nursing but I am not sure whe/if he will wean so I guess we will see.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#49 of 59 Old 09-21-2010, 01:23 PM

I am still nursing my 27 month old DS and my DD weaned 6 months ago at 3.5. I nursed her all through my pregnancy with DS and then tandem nursed for almost 2 years. I don't plan on doing anything differently this time around, but these last 2 will be spaced further apart so if DS weans I won't be too upset. I would love for him to nurse until 3 which is right after this bean would be born. My nips hurt really bad upon initial latch but then it isn't so bad. He only nurses a few minutes on each side and 3-4x a day.

Adriana, mommy to Klarity 9/06 and Grayam 6/08 and Zephyr homebirth.jpgMay 8, 2011
#50 of 59 Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post

But I wanted to add my two cents as a prior tandemer. The very beginning hurts terrible, and worst of all it makes your skin crawl. It's as though your body is really telling you to STOP DOING THIS NOW. My personal theory on this is natural child spacing, encouraging us to wean our older children once we got pregnant at 3-4 years postpartum so we could focus our nutrients on maintaining one life form. Necessary due to scavenging for nutrition. (This is just my personal theory, not backed by anything!).

Anyway... it's awful in the beginning, but I found it passed by 2-3 months. It returned briefly at the end of pregnancy but not nearly as bad as in the beginning. If you can tough it out, you're good.
ALSO: your nipples are crazy insane sensitive right now, and many many toddlers have a lazy toddler latch... which only makes things worse. I found in most cases (myself, friends, people I counseled) the majority of the pain was caused by a lazy toddler latch. Work HARD with them on maintaining proper newborn latching protocol.

This may have been true for you, but it's not everyone's experience. it's not always awful.

I'm now on my third tandeming and I don't get soreness until halfway through pregnancy when the milk dries up. Which, again, doesn't happen to everyone. Adventures in Tandem Nursing says that as well....some people do not dry up. Also, I've noticed that the more I nurse, the less it hurts because of the hormones that are released when you nurse. If you nurse more frequently, it hurts less, nurse less often, it hurts more. Go figure.

Just adding a different perspective in case anyone could use the encouragement that MAYBE it won't be bad at all.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#51 of 59 Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM

So my DS just woke up from his afternoon nap. He nursed and the stopped and got down off the bed to play with the cat. So, I pulled myslef back together and started to get up out of bed.

He came running over yelling, "GIGI (his word for nursing), need GIGI SOOO MUCH." I told him that I thought he was done and that I needed to use the bathroom. He reared back and spit a big spit wad right into my face.

I am feeling so sensitive right now. I am nervous about this pregnancy due to a recent pregnancy loss (in June) and spotting/bleeding this weekend. So, I am not as rational as I normally am.

I feel "touched out" by the 5th or 6th nursing session of the day. Now, the aggression, especially the newly acquired skill of spitting in my face is really getting to me. He spits on me no less than four times a day. It is typically because he wants to nurse when we can't; in the exam room at the doctor's office, when I am driving, when I am cooking, when I am on the toilet, etc...

Do any of you have toddlers that get angry when "denied" their milk? I am and have always planned on child-led weaning. But, this makes it difficult to want to continue. I feel so disrespected.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#52 of 59 Old 09-21-2010, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What consequences do you impose on him when he spits? I don't think I've ever had a kid spit on me but boy...it would certainly burn my hide! LOL I would not allow it to continue. Even if it was simply something like, "NO. Do not spit on mommy, that is a big no no." in an obviously not happy with you tone. SOMETHING to show disapproval.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#53 of 59 Old 09-21-2010, 10:38 PM

I am still nursing my toddler... he'll be 23 months in a few days. Right now I'm feeling now pain or problems with nursing. Milk supply seems good. He has been a rather... annoying... nursling for months now, so I've gotten pretty good at ignoring him or distracting picking, poking etc.

I have nursed through one pregnancy but I haven't tandem nursed. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm hoping my LLL group has a tandem nursing book in at our meeting next week...

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#54 of 59 Old 09-21-2010, 10:51 PM

My youngest still nurses occasionally. She nursed a bith this morning. I think this is it, though. Even my Tshirt rubbing against my boobs hurts like holy heck. I know nursing is going to get really painful and I'd like to avoid that.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#55 of 59 Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 AM

Wow cparkly - unfortunately no advice here, just sympathising that the spitting would drive me crazy! I hear you on being touched out & I find that when milk is DEMANDED of me that it really really gets my back up more than anything. Unfortuntely getting my back up only leads to more attitude from DD but I digress...

Just offering as I'm not sure how I'd handle the spitting.

#56 of 59 Old 09-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Well, since I last posted, my little guy quit cold turkey! I've been trying and trying to get him to nurse, but he absolutely will not do it. I'm guessing the taste changed and it was too big of a turn off for him. I'm kind of relieved he quit, because it felt like it was really draining me. I've had a lot of nausea and nursing seemed to aggravate it. He'll be 2 next week and has a huge appetite for table food and other liquids so I'm thankful for that, but I'm also a little sad that it's over.

#57 of 59 Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 PM

ibusymom... that's not quitting, that's called a nursing strike. Self weaning does not happen overnight, it's a gradual process just like any other weaning.

You can read more nursing strikes, and how to handle them, here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#58 of 59 Old 09-22-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post
ibusymom... that's not quitting, that's called a nursing strike. Self weaning does not happen overnight, it's a gradual process just like any other weaning.

You can read more nursing strikes, and how to handle them, here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Thanks for the link. I love Kellymom.

I said he quit cold turkey, but really he's been gradually cutting back for awhile. He was down to only one or two(more often one) quick sessions a day and has been night weaned for a year. So, it was cold turkey to me and my breasts in the fact that I produce tons of milk even with littlest amount of stimulation and take forever to dry up, but for him it really has been more gradual. One of my others did that around age 2. Went from nursing once a day to all of a sudden one day she just refused. I kept trying and trying each day, but she was done and never looked back. Just like my 2 yo now, she was super active, independent, and LOVED table food. It was harder on me then, because I wasn't pregnant and really missed it. But this time, I'm actually more relieved than sad. I'm dog tired and nauseous this pregnancy, so the break from it is kind of nice.

I have been through a true nursing strike a couple of times with 2 different babies. But they were younger, 7-9mo, and I knew that they wouldn't be weaning on their own. We were able to work through it each time and go on to nurse another year +. Once was triggered by a move and once was due to teething and thrush.

Thanks again for the link, though.

#59 of 59 Old 09-22-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

DD (20 months) has pretty much weaned although she uses nursing as an excuse to get her brothers off my lap. She asks to nurse, they vacate, she latches on one side for literally one second, then switches sides and latches for one second, then smirks about having mommy all to herself.

I still can't believe she has weaned so early! I thought they all would nurse until at least 3.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page