Any homebirth mummies here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 08-29-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it's early days but is anyone on here planning a homebirth, I'm hoping to have my 5th hb 2nd home waterbirth, I still have my birthing pool need to check if it's still ok and get a liner, pump, hose and plastic sheets.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#2 of 66 Old 08-29-2010, 02:20 PM

Congrats, mama! I've desperately tried to HB the last three times and ended up transporting and C/S. I don't think it will be an option for me. (No provider will take me and I certainly can't UC given my history.)

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#3 of 66 Old 08-29-2010, 02:22 PM

i'm hoping to, although dd was a c/s, so i'm a wee bit nervous.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#4 of 66 Old 08-29-2010, 05:58 PM

Yes I'm definitely having an unassisted homebirth. I also have my birthing tub from yrs ago - gotta check it out as well. And I gotta buy some urinalysis strips, and chux pads, etc.

~Sadie fly-by-nursing1.gifintactlact.gif  guitar.gif sewmachine.gif - mom to dd 9/15/01, ds 11/12/03 {ubac}, and ds 4/29/2011, wife to Mitchell.  pos.gif coming soon in late June!
#5 of 66 Old 08-29-2010, 06:01 PM

Oh and Samstress - don't let that phase you. My last birth was a vbac, and I birthed him at home unassisted. As long as you had a low transverse incision - which you most lilely did - even ACOG has stopped denying the safety of vbac's.

~Sadie fly-by-nursing1.gifintactlact.gif  guitar.gif sewmachine.gif - mom to dd 9/15/01, ds 11/12/03 {ubac}, and ds 4/29/2011, wife to Mitchell.  pos.gif coming soon in late June!
#6 of 66 Old 08-29-2010, 08:13 PM

I'm pretty sure I am - it'll be my first. But I've never had any complications, so I'm figuring things will go smoothly. Only one of my babies was born without an epidural, but I can do that, too.
#7 of 66 Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 PM

I'm planning a homebirth..just not sure if I want to UC or have a midwife! With having two losses this year, I'm a little more nervous for things to go "wrong" than maybe I would be otherwise. The first time I got pregnant this year we were really starting to think about and consider UC...but now some things make me nervous. Maybe by my 3rd baby I could UC?

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#8 of 66 Old 08-29-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty waltz View Post
Oh and Samstress - don't let that phase you. My last birth was a vbac, and I birthed him at home unassisted. As long as you had a low transverse incision - which you most lilely did - even ACOG has stopped denying the safety of vbac's.
thanks! i needed that.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#9 of 66 Old 08-30-2010, 01:28 PM

Assuming I get in with the local midwives, yes I am planning on another homebirth (DS1 was an unmedicated hospital birth, DS2 was born at home). There is high demand so unfortunately the midwives can't accept everyone who calls them
#10 of 66 Old 08-30-2010, 10:20 PM

I will be having my 3rd homebirth. And hopefully back in the water this time. My first dd was born in water, second dd came so fast we were an hour and a half away from home at my moms house, so that's where she arrived. I really missed the water with her birth. I'm so excited!

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#11 of 66 Old 08-30-2010, 11:37 PM

I'm hoping for a homebirth, but will take the birth center if possible. DS and DD were unmedicated hospital births, but I was risked out of the HB and birth center at 39 weeks. This time I'm really gonna try to keep my health in check the entire time.

Wife to Josh ~ mommy to frankie (10-24-06) and hayley (7-25-09) and Caleb (4-30-11)
#12 of 66 Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post
Congrats, mama! I've desperately tried to HB the last three times and ended up transporting and C/S. I don't think it will be an option for me. (No provider will take me and I certainly can't UC given my history.)
jr's mom - that's hard. I hope you can find a provider that will support you to have a great birth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post
i'm hoping to, although dd was a c/s, so i'm a wee bit nervous.
samstress - sending you

We are hoping for our second homebirth - had a wonderful experience with DS. I did labour in the water and then got out to push. I'm contemplating having an actual waterbirth this time. We have a new apartment now, so I'm going to have to figure out the logistics of the birthing pool.

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
#13 of 66 Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We had a fantastic homebirth just about a year ago. We don't plan on any more LO's, but if we do, we would do it again!

'09   
#14 of 66 Old 09-01-2010, 12:44 AM

I'm hoping for a homebirth this time - I had a fabulous natural hospital birth with DS2, but the midwifery practice I saw for both of my boys disbanded, and we're in a different area now anyway. I wanted a HB with DS2 but I loved my midwives and didn't want to change practices, but that's not an issue anymore.

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#15 of 66 Old 09-02-2010, 10:17 PM

I had an unmedicated hospital birth with my first DD and a homebirth/unassisted birth with my 2nd DD. The first labor was roughly 3.5 hrs and she was born within 10 mins of arrival at hospital. My 2nd DD, my husband delivered while on the phone with home midwife. With this one, I am just praying that I don't miscarry and I'll take it from there. My goal is for a healthy baby and healthy pregnancy. I just turned 40 so am in a higher risk but realize that it's all statistics. That said, if everything remains as in my previous preganancies, I would love to have a homebirth. Then I just need to figure out how to afford it... most are around $4K.

#16 of 66 Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep! I am! After having 2 hbac's, I can't fathom being in a hospital barring any major emergency.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#17 of 66 Old 09-03-2010, 10:06 AM

I just found out this morning that I'm pregnant w/ my third. My second my a hb, and this one will be, too. Glad to meet you ladies.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
#18 of 66 Old 09-04-2010, 10:56 AM

It was so great to speak w/ my MW again! I have my first appt next Friday. I'm so looking forward to working with her again. I can't wait for May! (well, I can, but you know what I mean!)

#19 of 66 Old 09-05-2010, 09:36 PM

We will be having another homebirth with this little one. Probably a water birth like last time. All my prenatal visits are at home too.
#20 of 66 Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 AM

I can't wait to try for a homebirth again this time around. I had rented a Birth Pool In a Box & LOVED it! If all goes well I'll have the same setup again with the same midwife, she was amazing. I'm also toying with the idea of doing a Hypnobirthing class this time around (it was the cost that kept me from it last time). I'm hoping that it could help me relax more fully & might mean the difference between actually getting my home birth & having to transfer to hosp like last time. (non emergency, just too tired after getting to 10cm with a lip & then swelling back down to 6cm )

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
#21 of 66 Old 09-12-2010, 08:10 PM

I had a fantastic homebirth with an awesome midwife the first time around and can't wait to have another one! Unfortunately we now live in a different part of the country so I'll have to go with a new midwife. In the area we live the nearest midwife is nearly three hours away. Preparing for a lot of driving to appointments over here...

DD 5/25/09 :
5/22/11
#22 of 66 Old 09-12-2010, 09:00 PM

Also planning a homebirth. I just talked to my mw. She actually called about something else, but I ended up telling her about the baby! DD was a hospital birth. I got there complete and she was born 20 minutes after walking in the door of the hospital. I was trying to get there as late as possible to avoid any interventions... that worked, lol!! DS was a homebirth!

Heather
mama to E (4 years) and J (2 years) and K (born in May)
#23 of 66 Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 PM

I'm having a homebirth this time around. My first was born at a birth center because a birth tub would have taken up our entire living room at our old house. I've just got to set up some appointments and choose who we fit best with.

I'm so excited!

Button 08-12-09 

Baby Vi 05-18-11

#24 of 66 Old 09-12-2010, 11:53 PM

I'm planning my 4th homebirth. My first was unmed hospital birth (DH was too nervous about HB, but I HATED the hospital and it took me 40 hours to finally birth that little gal!) The staff tried like mad to get me medicated because I was noisy. Thankfully my DH didn't let them come in anymore after a while. Only the midwife was allowed. She was handsoff, so that eventually worked for me! My second was at a birth center- all of 20 minutes after we had to drive 30 minutes to get there. DH was finally convinced!!! I needed to birth at home. Next three were at home and so will this next one. I worked as a unit secretary in a hospital for years and so I never felt safe there!!!

Amy,  organically growing 5 homeschooled sweetieshomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg5 lossesbrokenheart.gifbelly.gif due this summer!
#25 of 66 Old 09-13-2010, 01:13 AM

I want to. My first two were hospital births, 2nd one was unmedicated.

mommy to DS (5/29/05) and DD (3/21/07) and DD #2 (5/3/11)
#26 of 66 Old 09-13-2010, 09:09 AM

Definitely planning on #1 being a home waterbirth with midwives.
I'm a doula, and DH has two younger siblings born at home (he cut the cord for his little brother) so birthing at home just makes sense to us. We're open to the fact that things can change and are willing to adjust our plans as needed, but homebirth is currently the plan.
#27 of 66 Old 09-13-2010, 11:55 AM

I plan to UC.

This will be my first homebirth if I manage to do it.
I planned a homebirth/UC last time but ended up living with my inlaws who were not so open to that idea. So, I had to birth at a hospital in Romania. That was horrible. But, thankfully it was a "natural" birth. I preferred the laboring and birthing to my previous birth. It was the after care that sucked.
My first was a hospital birth with an epidural and pitocin (to "augment") and an unnecessary episiotomy. I hated that birth experience. I wish I would have known better but back then I didn't.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#28 of 66 Old 09-13-2010, 04:07 PM

yes. Have had 2 natural hospital births...can't wait to experience a birth that I feel completely in control of.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#29 of 66 Old 09-13-2010, 05:54 PM

I'm considering it. My family (and some friends) will judge the hell out of me if I do. But I know the statistics and I think a home birth is a better option. I just don't know if I want to deal with the loads of crap I will recieve for the duration of my pregnancy from my nearest and dearest. Husband is totally on board with it though.

Also, my work just switched from Blue Shield to Healthnet and all of the back up docs that the midwives I spoke to recommended do not take my insurance. I don't mind paying the 5 g's out of pocket, I think it would be totally worth it, but God fiorbid I transfer to a hospital and then get stuck with both the midwifery bill and the hospital bill.

I need to interview some doctors to see if I can find someone who will back up a midwife if I go that route. I curse myself for loaning out my "Your Best Birth" book last year, it was full of questions to ask your doc in an interview. This is my first pregnancy, I don't really know how to go about this. Hey maybe I'll post a new thread about it!

I asked my ins company for a referral and I ended up at a fertility clinic. ?? Granted the doc saw me anyway and said I can go to him til I'm 10 weeks but then I need to find a regular ob. I have an appointment with a midwifery next week, we'll see how everything unfolds.
#30 of 66 Old 09-13-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyLady View Post
I'm considering it. My family (and some friends) will judge the hell out of me if I do. But I know the statistics and I think a home birth is a better option. I just don't know if I want to deal with the loads of crap I will recieve for the duration of my pregnancy from my nearest and dearest. Husband is totally on board with it though.

Also, my work just switched from Blue Shield to Healthnet and all of the back up docs that the midwives I spoke to recommended do not take my insurance. I don't mind paying the 5 g's out of pocket, I think it would be totally worth it, but God fiorbid I transfer to a hospital and then get stuck with both the midwifery bill and the hospital bill.

I need to interview some doctors to see if I can find someone who will back up a midwife if I go that route. I curse myself for loaning out my "Your Best Birth" book last year, it was full of questions to ask your doc in an interview. This is my first pregnancy, I don't really know how to go about this. Hey maybe I'll post a new thread about it!

I asked my ins company for a referral and I ended up at a fertility clinic. ?? Granted the doc saw me anyway and said I can go to him til I'm 10 weeks but then I need to find a regular ob. I have an appointment with a midwifery next week, we'll see how everything unfolds.
I can think of at least two close friends who just didn't tell those who would judge them that they were having a HB. One didn't even tell her mom. The other just kept things really hush-hush on FB, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page