To ultrasound or not ultrasound? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since you're a scientist, you'll probably note that it's misleading to simply say, "Childbirth used to be the leading cause of death for women" when that's not *quite* true... there were a lot of variables leading to death, like doctors not washing their hands after handling TB deaths and then sticking them up vaginas. There's a lot more to that history than simply "birth".

ETA: from a clarifying post JUST IN CASE someone misreads the intention
"I should have added a smiley to the end of that post, as looking back it sounds a little curt and it wasn't my intention to sound irritable, but rather to just clarify a point"

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#62 of 65 Old 10-05-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post
Since you're a scientist, you'll probably note that it's misleading to simply say, "Childbirth used to be the leading cause of death for women" when that's not *quite* true... there were a lot of variables leading to death, like doctors not washing their hands after handling TB deaths and then sticking them up vaginas. There's a lot more to that history than simply "birth".
well I was saying 'a' leading cause of death, not 'the' leading cause, it was just one of the top ones for women in the past, and I didn't specify a time period. I just remember vaguely my anthropology class comparing stats of undeveloped nations to Europe in the 1700's and 1800's, etc., but can't remember which was worse or why (no docs at all vs. mistake-making docs I guess) sorry! My point was, the medical aspect of childbirth is there for a reason, if the balance is out of whack I can see that argument, I just think one doesn't have to tip it all the other way.

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#63 of 65 Old 10-05-2010, 10:45 PM

I should have added a smiley to the end of that post, as looking back it sounds a little curt and it wasn't my intention to sound irritable, but rather to just clarify a point.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#64 of 65 Old 10-06-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChef View Post
And nowhere do I say that women should trust doctors over their own experience. I said that women had stopped giving themselves the credit we deserved in knowing what was best for us. I said that women should take back their power.

In that process, they should be mindful that those Doctors do know a bit more then we probably do about when pregnancy diverges from low risk/ normal. So, no.. we dont just act like little obedient good girls, letting the Docs have full say.. but it makes me want to bash my head into walls when I see women in later DDCs or Im Pregnant talking about how their doc is over reacting about pitting edema, or how there really wasnt "alot" of protein in their urine, or how a blood pressure of 140/90 is perfectly normal and fantastic because they read on Ronnie Falco's archive it was OK. Or scaring the crap out of women by telling them that a simple doppler exposes their baby to 30X more U/S then imaging U/S.. or asking a mom why she is having another ultrasound, or cant have a VBAC or why she is listening to what he Dr is saying about xyz.

So, what do we do with normal/ low risk pregnancies to stop birth trauma, to stop interventions and surgeries?

We stay at home to have our babies or we pick hospital or birth center care providers that are trained in low risk pregnancy.

If that isnt an option because of money or location...
You go into your OB with the best possible attitude of partnership and you help educate them in natural birth. But what you dont go in there looking for a fight, acting like a know it all and expect anything less then the same treatment in return. So, when "enlightened" birth folk needle women about why they are doing xyz, dont they know that it isnt safe/needed/yaddayadda they are doing no service to that mother. Now, when they present studies that a woman can print out and take to their doctor, or well thought out concerns or questions.. that is helpful. When we treat women like they have power, then they will use it. When we berate them on why they arent using their power, they feel even more helpless, alone and marginalized.

Ive watched so many doula clients get the full meal deal doing that in hospitals and it just isnt nessecary to have such a combative and negative idea regarding your care provider if it happens to be an OB.

Barbara Herrara wrote a good post kind of about this
http://navelgazingmidwife.squarespac...al-ticket.html

Anyway,
I dont label myself, but I *am* on MDC, so some would think I'm a hippy. Ive put a decade towards become a homebirth midwife. I believe in low risk birth. I just dont believe this attitude of OBs being bad that pervades alot of the NCB community does any favors to birthing mothers. It sets most women up for a double bind, and that is not a psychologically stable thing. That hurts women.

You took the words right out of my head and put them here.

For what it's worth, I mentioned OBGYN specifically, bc that is what a woman in this thread mentioned as her care provider.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#65 of 65 Old 10-08-2010, 06:08 AM

At this stage, no. I didn't with #4 and I was very happy with that decision.
I had 2 each when preg with my older boys. With my first, only one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page