Weekly Chat Thread Sept 26-Oct 2nd - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-28-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that now that a few of us are experiencing symptoms and having appointments this thread will be a bit busier this time!

I am 5 weeks. So far I have shadows of nausea but nothing major yet and I'd be eternally grateful if it stayed that way. I am taking folic acid instead of prenatals because I am worried about the nausea.

I have an OB appointment/interview next week and am excited about that. I'm also scared that our philosophies won't mesh and I'll be forced to look for a midwife out of area.

I also let dh know that no matter how hard I tried I can't get 3 carseats in the back of the Civic so he's freaking out about yet another expense which will make having a home birth difficult since a hospital birth would be totally covered by our insurance.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 11:59 AM

Evergreen, have you tried some of the more streamlined carseats, like Radians? Still an expense, but less than buying a new car. We are probably going to buy one more (have 2 already) if we think we can get 3 across our Nissan Versa (according to someone on another forum, it's been done )

I am 9 weeks today and still feeling pretty icko. Yesterday wasn't as bad as the weekend, so I guess I am having good days and bad days. I am really starting to feel round ligament pain, so hopefully that means my uterus (and the little bean) is getting bigger and all is well.

I am still waiting to hear if I got in with our local midwifery practice. I contacted them 5 weeks ago yesterday. Here's hoping I hear this week. If I don't get in soon, I guess that will decide for me that I'm not doing a nuchal translucency scan (I am 36 so I expect it will be offered). They did tell me when I called to make other arrangements in case I don't get in, but my family doctor doesn't do prenatal care, and it seems pointless to have everyone go to the trouble of referring me to another doc if I'm going to end up with midwifery care. I didn't really anticipate it would be 5 or more weeks before I knew, though!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepetals View Post
Evergreen, have you tried some of the more streamlined carseats, like Radians? Still an expense, but less than buying a new car. We are probably going to buy one more (have 2 already) if we think we can get 3 across our Nissan Versa (according to someone on another forum, it's been done )
Does Radian make a booster? Since Dylan will be eight and a half when the baby comes I really don't want to go back to harnessing her. I also just bought Ava a $200 Nautilus so while in the long run new carseats would be much cheaper I'd still feel like we'd wasted the Nautilus.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 09-28-2010, 12:21 PM

I wasn't sure but I googled and I guess they do make a booster, but it doesn't look as streamlined to me as the car seat. You might try posting in Family Safety, there are a lot of techs in there that could help you figure out what might fit
Old 09-28-2010, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

I posted there when we had our foster baby. I have an '04 which is apparently the narrowest back seat of all Civics. I couldn't take him anywhere with both of my girls. Unless Dylan grows 4 inches and gains some weight in the next couple months I think we're going to have to get a new car.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:42 PM

I'll check in! Feeling re-he-he-he-heely bad. Hanging out in the bathroom this morning 'cause I'm sure I'm gonna puke. I just don't handle this well. I am taking 1/2 a Unisom and the B6 at night. I'm wondering if I should increase to a whole Unisom. What do y'all think?

Had my first OB appointment yesterday. DH got to go with me, yay! We really liked the office. It has a nice, professional staff. I had to pee in a cup, go over my medical history, and have my blood drawn. I think they took a lot! I never look at my arm anymore while they take the blood, so when she was done I looked over and there were 4 long vials full. I'm used to much shorter ones. So since missing my 1/4 cup of blood (!) I've felt a lot worse. Don't know if it is connected or not.

A week from today I go back for the downstairs stuff (yuck) and an ultrasound for dating (even though I'm a charter! I don't even bother mentioning how sure I am of the dates). But, it'll be nice to see a little heartbeat in the midst of the nausea.

Lord help me!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:51 PM

Hi everyone! Thought I'd jump in since I officially joined the forum yesterday I'm 9 weeks, feeling *so* sick (didn't have an ounce of MS with my first, some with my second- but this just feels like it's a constant presence...) and still so excited. At this point, we're trying to make a decision regarding providers, but I'm definitely leaning towards a homebirth this time around. We no longer have nurse midwives available 24/7 at our local hospital; they only work business hours M-F...and I have complete confidence in the midwives who would be attending my home birth. (and also live less than one mile away from a hospital should I need to transfer.)

I actually heard the little one's heartbeat last week and it was amazing.

Other than that, I'm dead tired...but that could have something to do with the fact that I've attended 3 births in 1 week (as a birth doula.)

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:55 PM

Ok days and bad days here. The computer monitor really does me in, especially my laptop. If I spend more than 1 hour in front of the screen the nausea gets so bad - - I end up having to go lay down for an hour or two. I did figure out today to turn the brightness setting down, and I've turned off the overhead flourescent lights at work, which seems to make it a little better. I haven't thrown up yet (knock on wood!) but man does this fatigue/nausea combo kick my a**. My boss isn't in today so I don't have to explain about no-lights - I have to come up with a good story by tomorrow though.

No weight gain or noticable belly yet, but I've taken to putting an elastic band through the button hole of my jeans as the pressure of that button just doesn't help the nausea one bit.

We still haven't told anyone else IRL that we're pregnant, but I'm excited to tell my doula colleagues tomorrow night. They'll be the first IRL people to know. My best friend isn't good at keeping good-news secrets, and my mother can't keep secrets at all, so we're waiting to tell them until we're ready for the world to know - - which will be Canadian Thanksgiving (9 weeks) at the earliest, but possibly not until we're through the first trimester if I can hide it that long.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter View Post
Ok days and bad days here. The computer monitor really does me in, especially my laptop. If I spend more than 1 hour in front of the screen the nausea gets so bad - - I end up having to go lay down for an hour or two.
I hope this doesn't happen to me. I work in front of a computer 8 hours a day and I'm really slow right now so I spend lots of time online.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
I hope this doesn't happen to me. I work in front of a computer 8 hours a day and I'm really slow right now so I spend lots of time online.
I know! I work as an office administrator so have to be on the computer regularly; as a doula I'm regularly on the computer reading, searching, writing etc, and that doesn't even count the fun online things like MDC! The lights being off and brightness turned down really have helped a lot. I'm thinking of getting an anti-glare screen to see if that makes a difference too.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:24 PM

I am not really feeling much of anything. Boobs are not as sore as they were (I don't think) have some acne, and I get some cramping/lower back pain everyday. Smells are stronger but not making me too sick yet. I am only 5 weeks though. Right now I am just praying that all is well with this baby and that it stays put! I was SO sick with my ds and a little with my dd but can't remember how early it started.

We have to buy a new carseat so we can fit three in the back of the car, we will be buying a Radian. Hopefully we'll only need one.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:05 PM

I'm almost 8 weeks and so far no sickness. Only time I feel sick is at night if I lay on my right side. I am bloated beyond extremes and it's making my stomach not feel good. I'm still POAS..I'm obsessed lol My appointment is next Thursday!!! The wait is killing me!

Sara <3 Brad Mother to 2 boxers and 2 cats! #1 Due in May!!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:10 PM

I'm 5w3d and the nausea has gotten better? I feel like I'm less symptomatic than I was last week, but I'm also turning into a narcoleptic, which is fascinating. I think I might bring a sleeping bag into work so I can close my office door and take a nap.
We met with the midwife last week and liked them, so we started a chart and we're going to the orientation next Saturday.
I already need to buy a new bra. Someone somewhere on here was talking about a great bra for dealing with the gradual increase in boob size. Something really supportive but not expensive? Maybe it was a dream.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 PM

Hi all!

I just popped into this DDC for the first time today. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone here. I am 9 weeks today. I can't believe I am here as we thought our last really was our LAST. Guess God has different plans. I am totally thrilled with the baby part but very nervous about the pg/birth part. I had preeclampsia with our last daughter and had an emergency c-section at 34 weeks. That was probably the most terrifying day of my life & I am really, really, not even wanting to think about this birth because I am so scared. BUT on the flipside, I have been doing quite a bit of soul searching and talking to God about all my emotions and am trying to gather up faith and trust that everything will be ok.

Anyways, enough about that~ hello everyone! Nice to meet you!

Wife, Mama to 7, Expecting another blessing May 2011
Old 09-28-2010, 05:40 PM

I'm 8 weeks tomorrow.

I'm still fighting with ringworm/jock itch. I'm using this chinese medicine stuff that I just started on Friday. It's called yin-cure or something. I hope it does the trick. If not, I go to my last hope - lamisil. I used "yeastaway" suppositories for the vag. yeast infection and I think it's pretty much cleared up and I haven't finished all the suppositories yet, but I will just to be on the safe side.

I've been rather ill feeling with nausea since just before 6 weeks. It sucks really bad. I don't like very many foods right now but know I have to eat. Veggies and meats are hard at the moment. Specific ones anyway. Like green beans and broccoli and cauliflower make me feel icky. I really miss my cheese sauces on my veggies which I haven't done for like a year because of avoiding dairy somewhat but now I'm considering it again but I'd have to make it home-made cuz I won't do the processed stuff.

I found out one of my friends is 5 days ahead of me with her pregnancy. Neither of us knew the other one was "trying." It's pretty funny.
Sadly, she's a long distance friend but I'm hoping to move to where her and a couple other of my friends live in the near future. I just have to sell our house first and then we would have to find hubby a job over in their area. So, God willing it'll happen anyway.

Other than that I'm just sick of living in our house we bought like a year ago. I don't know what I was thinking taking on the responsibility of a house too far away from the city for my liking and with no friends in the area. Bad idea! Also, I realized I have no interest in owning a house anymore unless I win the lottery and can pay it off right away. It's annoying when you have to make a house payment and you have to make any repairs and stuff for the house as well. I'd rather just rent and call the landlord to fix things if anything goes wrong. I miss renting!

I appreciated reading how everyone else is doing as well. I know I'm not alone with the icky sick feeling. I was thinking to have more kids but with my health and with just how sucky pregnancy is for me, I'm thinking I might back down on that now. I'm happy for the little one's I have been blessed with though!

I hope you all have a decent week!

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 09-28-2010, 06:03 PM

Welcome gypsy!

Sparklz: when I had my bloodwork done she took four vials and I was sick the rest of the day. Since I started taking a b complex vitamin on top of my prenatal I've been feeling much better. Maybe that would help your nausea?

Melissa Andrew dd1 dd2 dd3 and
Old 09-28-2010, 06:53 PM

I'm 9 weeks today, and am really off and on as far as symptoms go. I have been eating a protein rich snack before rising out of bed in the morning, and that helps stave off the nausea for most of the day. Until dinner! Then, if I try to cook dinner, I can't eat it when I'm done cooking it. I'm usually nauseous from after dinner to bedtime. I've been laying down with DS at around 8:30 in the family bed, and nursing him to sleep..I then usually fall asleep as well. DS has been waking constantly to nurse all night and it's really wearing me out. My nipples are so sore, it feels like knives stabbing every time I have a let down. I want to try and wean him before the next babe arrives but attempting it during the 1st trimester seems so daunting! I used to rock and nurse DS to sleep in the rocking chair in his room and then lay him in his bed..he'd sleep there for about 6 hours before walking into our room and would nurse to sleep in our bed. I just felt so nauseous last week, that I began nursing him to sleep in our bed and now he's waking up so much more! I'm so tired! Any tips?

Haven't had many food aversions...I'm trying to avoid raw onions because they are giving me heartburn, gas, burping. Trying to eat healthy, high protein/fat meals because it seems to help keep the morning sickness at bay. I don't know if I've gained any weight, and won't know until my first appt. at 13 weeks. I'm not really showing yet either. I didn't show much with DS until I was about 17 weeks! I've been really tired and "lazy" lately too. Like, I could literally just lay around and watch tv all day. No desire to exercise, cook, anything. And, I've been sleeping anywhere from 9-11 hours at night.

That's about it. DH has been really helpful lately, taking more charge of caring for DS when he's home at night and helping out with dishes, cooking on the weekend, letting me go lay down and rest for a couple hours and plays with our son. So that's been nice

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 09-28-2010, 07:09 PM

Hi Ladies! I just officially joined the DDC yesterday! I'm excited to get to know all of you!

I'm about 5 1/2 weeks along. I have been feeling pretty good. Not much noticeable as far as belly. I've been peeing constantly. Oh, and I am SO tired. DH has been really trying to help. But our DD has a lot of trouble sleeping (always has) so it makes it really hard to get much sleep. Like last night she slept a total of 2 hours. I am sooo sleepy right now.
Just called a midwife practice in our state to start investigating all of our options after my less-than-desirable "natural" hospital birth last time. Can't wait to see how that goes!
We've been explaining to DD about the baby in mommy's belly. She asked me if she could see it yesterday.

One question...in addition to prenatal, what supplements are you mommas taking?

Girlfriend and Wife to DH, Attached Momma to DD 2/23/08, and to DD 6/9/12
Old 09-28-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
Does Radian make a booster? Since Dylan will be eight and a half when the baby comes I really don't want to go back to harnessing her. I also just bought Ava a $200 Nautilus so while in the long run new carseats would be much cheaper I'd still feel like we'd wasted the Nautilus.
Sorry if someone already answered this. I didn't read through all of the posts. You can buy two Radians (each is 17 inches wide) and then a high-back booster that is only 16.5 inches. We were going to do something similar, but we actually just bought a minivan a few days ago. It was pretty cheap. WE sold our car for 4,000, and bought the minivan for $6300.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
Old 09-28-2010, 08:23 PM

6 weeksish

I have some mild nausea and although I hadn't noticed it, dh pointed out that I have to pee all the time. I'm getting some sharp pains on one side that concern me but trying not worry. They get worse after swimming laps (two days a week).

I had the nausea that was irritated by the computer screen last time.We are REALLY hoping that stays away since I work virtually this time.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedidbug View Post
... but we actually just bought a minivan a few days ago. It was pretty cheap. WE sold our car for 4,000, and bought the minivan for $6300.
LOL! We just bought a 2001 toyota sienna for $6300.

We traded in our 2004 Ford Freestar van for it because our Freestar's transmission was going out after only owning it for a year and a half... No more Ford's for us. Sadly we only got $1500 for the trade-in. We'd paid $3900 for it. But, they listed it online now for almost $6000! Crazy.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 PM

We're also mulling over car and house decisions - we have an ancient Dodge Caravan that we bought right before our 6 yr old was born - it's definately on it's way out. Plus the house we're in now is *tiny* for two grownups, two growing girls, and three dogs - now a 3rd kid is really pushing me to do something (but I'm toooooo tired to think about buying/selling a house!)

Had OB appointment today and saw the little bean and heartbeat (9wks 2 days) - it was an incredible relief. I've been extremely anxious this time around. My OB said that she's noticed more anxiety in moms the 3rd time around, for whatever reason.

Now I need to figure out if I'm really going to do a homebirth this time around! There are definately way more options in that regard around here than there were when I had my girls.

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 PM

I have my U/S on Monday the 4th of October. I will be 6wks6days

I have been very worried though, I had a chemical pregnancy with my first and then had to be on progesterone cream to get pregnant with my daughter and to continue the pregnancy without losing her. I am on progesterone cream now, but because I haven't had blood work done and no doctors appointment yet, the unknown is killing me. I took BFP Progression photos, from 12 dpo to 26 dpo (I am a little obsessed...lol) and they are now so dark that they are darker than the control line. No real pain, and no spotting...but I had a lot of morning sickness with my daughter and have not gotten that yet. I am very tired and bbs are very sore (Which I did not have with my daughter)

So it is just waiting and knowing that my body knows what it is doing and to have faith.

Thank you for letting me share...I feel blessed to have the support of people who know how this feels!

Cerise

Happily married mother of a tiny angel angel.gif (12/06 at 5 weeks) Maya Elizabeth dust.gif (12/07) and our full term angel Mateo German angel2.gif (Lost during labor on 06/01/11) Currently pregnant with our naturally conceived twin rainbow1284.gif's due 8/15/2012!

Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 PM

Almamiel- We are mulling over the house decision as well...we are currently renting and are possibly looking to buy as to buy what we need is looking like it will be cheaper than renting. But dayiscoming2006 made me think that maybe I do want to continue renting. Thinking about owning a home overwhelms me since if anything happens we're responsible...I like calling the landlord But we only have a 2 bedroom and that has to change(though a larger 2 bedroom) and an extra room would be really great lately.

As for symptoms...6 weeks came and so did the nausea. It's not horrible but just thinking that I have 6 more weeks of this makes me want to cry. I'm almost 7 weeks now but man, I don't know how I'm going to do it. I'm excited for this baby but the 1st trimester looks very daunting right about now.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 PM

We aren't on the bottom any more!!!!

Sara <3 Brad Mother to 2 boxers and 2 cats! #1 Due in May!!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb1107 View Post
We aren't on the bottom any more!!!!

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hello
i'm so tired.

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

Old 09-29-2010, 01:17 AM

Hi! I'm Kellie. I am 5w1d pregnant and NERVOUS! Yoinks! This is pregnancy number 5, for us, which breaks down to mc, DD (4 years), DS (2 years), mc in April. This is my least symptomatic pregnancy so far and I'm just telling myself that it is so early that the symptoms will begin any day now. So far, I have a tiny bit of nausea, fairly light headed part of the time, and moody with a capital M. My MW did a progesterone screen for me over the weekend and said my progesterone is fine, so I'm hoping that means that everything is fine.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Kellie - Mama to Sofi (06), Walter (08), and Baby "Lorraine" due May 30, 11.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:24 AM

Hi Kellie,

I feel the same way. Many less symptoms. I keep reading that every pregnancy is different and that they really start kicking in 6-7 weeks. If your progesterone levels are good, then that is very reassuring. I also know that it is hard to relax until you KNOW...so keeping you in my thoughts!

Nice to meet you

Cerise

Happily married mother of a tiny angel angel.gif (12/06 at 5 weeks) Maya Elizabeth dust.gif (12/07) and our full term angel Mateo German angel2.gif (Lost during labor on 06/01/11) Currently pregnant with our naturally conceived twin rainbow1284.gif's due 8/15/2012!

Old 09-29-2010, 02:04 AM

9 wks, 3 days here. Having awful marital problems. Just hoping to make it thru the week without separation! Apparently he doesn't think I'm a good mother. He didn't want this baby - it was unplanned. So I'm feeling awful - puking all the time - and feeling awful emotionally. Today stinks.

~Sadie fly-by-nursing1.gifintactlact.gif  guitar.gif sewmachine.gif - mom to dd 9/15/01, ds 11/12/03 {ubac}, and ds 4/29/2011, wife to Mitchell.  pos.gif coming soon in late June!

User Tag List