I think I broke my hand.. what happens if I refuse x ray? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 8 month old and I fell pretty hard this morning when I tripped over the baby gate. I took the brunt of the fall on my hand and breast. (OW!) DD seems just fine. I am not really worried about the pregnancy either seeing as it didn't seem to take much of the fall. My hand hurts so bad though!!! Its swollen and bruised and I fear it is broken. I think it should probably be checked out but I do NOT want an x-ray.. Will they be able to do anything for me if I refuse an x-ray? I do not want to be coerced into having an x-ray either. I hurt.

Christi -- Wife to Joe 4/5/08. Mommy to DD#1 born 9/23/08 and DD#2 born 1/21/10 AND
***4***8**12***16***20***24***28***32***36* **40!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Why don't you want an xray? They can shield your torso. If you refuse an xray, they may not be able to tell how bad the hand is, ad I've seen people hurt their hand so bad (where it swells and bruises immediately) where it needs surgery or else it will heal wrong, causing pain and requiring surgery to re-break it and set it propperly. Take care of yourself, mama! If you're adamant about not having the xray, you may be able to see a chiro for it. I fell and dislocated my wrist when I was a teen and saw a chiro for it. Good luck! Let us know what happens!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 10-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca_howell View Post
I've seen people hurt their hand so bad (where it swells and bruises immediately) where it needs surgery or else it will heal wrong, causing pain and requiring surgery to re-break it and set it propperly.
I broke my hand about 5 years ago. You really don't want to mess around with it not being treated properly.

I know quite a few people who have had to get x-rays while being pregnant..myself included. My OB was perfectly fine with me getting one as long as my abdomen was covered up, which it was with 2 shields. My Dr. told me my baby would be exposed to more radiation on a plane then from the x-ray I was getting and I totally trusted him.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Get the x-ray, really. Just have them give you two lead aprons.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

User Tag List