the cravings/food aversions thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh boy -- reading this thread was both horrible and good!

This is my first pregnancy (that has lasted this far) and I have never experienced these bizarre aversions. Pretty much everything makes me gag. I have never hated food this much. If I didn't have to eat, I wouldn't. I know it's the only way to alleviate the nausea however. It takes me the better part of the day to feel better.

Pretty much the only things I can stomach without gagging or getting turned off by the smell is meat broth (my breakfast staples for a week now), bananas (well, I do hate the texture, but I always feel better after eating one) and sweet potatoes. If someone else cooks meat, I can usually get some down, but have not been able to cook much of anything myself, esp meat. Am soaking lentils now for dinner in hopes that will provide some protein. oh and could eat a jar of bubbies sauerkraut a day if not for the price tag on that yummy stuff!

Also allergic to dairy and am trying to avoid gluten, although white bread is really hard to resist lately...!

Overall: it sucks! :-)

Expecting 1st 5/25/11 after topsy turvy two years of trying. Married to best guy ever. Always <3 .
#32 of 46 Old 10-14-2010, 06:29 AM

You can get food poisioning from almost any food, but only if it's old/been unrefrigerated (this allows bacteria to multiply and spread their waste through the food) or if it's been handled by someone with dirty hands (this is how you can get salmonella and other nasty things). A nice fresh steak cooked rare, in your own kitchen with clean hands, should be safe to eat.
#33 of 46 Old 10-14-2010, 12:25 PM

ugh - my main problem at this point is that almost *nothing* sounds good. I've had maybe two cravings (one was right after my first appointment with the midwives, where I had a lot of blood drawn and hadn't eaten in about a week... MAN, did I just want a burger after that!) and when I do, I find that I can actually stomach whatever it is I'm craving. But the rest of the time it's this epic battle between my brain and my stomach as I try to force food into it without getting sick. I give pep talks to my stomach, and occasionally to the food itself. Think those scenes of a commander giving a stirring speech to his troops before sending them into battle. An orchestra swells in the background, accompanied by artillery fire. It's all very AMC classics. Then a cat runs across my stomach from out of nowhere and it's back to square one... I swear, those cats have no respect. It's like I'm part of their jungle gym.

Sometimes the nausea gets so bad that even the thought of food makes me nauseous. I've found that tortilla chips and saltines are my standby food at that point.

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#34 of 46 Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 PM

Okay, I read this thread, and now I'm starving! :-)

A few months before getting pregnant, I stopped eating most meat (long story). Once I got pregnant, almost immediately, I was constantly craving meat. Like zombie-craving - "Must. Have. Meat. Now!" I realize that one can have a perfectly healthy vegetarian diet, but I hadn't really done that, yet; I'd just cut out the meat. I decided that I didn't really want to figure out new eating habits while pregnant, so I've gone back to eating it. I crave it really frequently, and when I have nausea it goes right away if I eat a little bit of meat.
#35 of 46 Old 10-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyelmo1 View Post
I'm sorry to laugh, but it is kinda funny.

I've been craving hamburgers, and not the fast food kind but a really good restaurant hamburger. One day two weeks ago I HAD to have Pasta Alfredo. It was wonderful, but I couldn't eat it again, and my MIL ate the leftovers for me.
Bacon cheeseburger from a real restaurant. No fast food. Oh my....I haven't had it yet, but have craved it for 2 weeks now! Might have to talk hubby into take-out tonight. It's Friday night, after all! Other cravings: Chinese food and breakfast food. Yummmmmm.
#36 of 46 Old 10-15-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee View Post
something i'm finding relatively easy to eat in the mornings (though right now i am totally disgusted thinking about any food) and am even craving a bit are bananas! i also ate an apple the other day for the first time in quite awhile, i'm just not an apple person really. it was so delicious though! not at ALL into sweets...totally grossed out thinking about eating sugar.
My LOVELY hubby has been bringing me a bowl of oatmeal every morning before he leaves for work....I eat it before I get up and it's really easy to eat and bland enough to just be perfect.
#37 of 46 Old 10-15-2010, 03:40 PM

I'm craving the cookies from McAlister's!!! My dream about them has me ready to get them at lunch lol I've eaten really well today so a few cookies won't be too bad.

Sara <3 Brad Mother to 2 boxers and 2 cats! #1 Due in May!!
#38 of 46 Old 10-16-2010, 12:55 AM

For some reason, I just can't stand chicken right now, which is hard as is normally a staple of our diet. The other night, DH handed me a plate of chicken. i brought it close enough to take a bite and despite not noticing an odor I was hit with a wave of nausea. I want beef though.

My dad took DD and I out to dinner tonight at a restaurant we love (indian chinese) He noticed I hadn't ordered much protein and was tryng to offer to order a meat dish. He's largely vegetarian but has always pushed meat on me. I said I hadn't been doing well with chicken, but none of the beef sounded good to him. I repeated the chicken thing and tried to tell him to order what HE wanted, but DD was "helping" by this point and he ended up ordering a chicken dish that He didn't like and I couldn't touch. I think DH will eat it.

Craving:
Beef (sometimes)
cheese and cottage cheese
pizza
potato chips

Wife to DH, mom to DD1 energy.gif 9/06 and our new arrival DD2 femalesling.GIF 6/11

#39 of 46 Old 10-17-2010, 12:34 AM

kamalynsky -
i am right there with you. Food and I have a love hate relationship right now. Mostly hate. I am forever thinking of what I can possibly force down. in fact writing this is making me feel sick! blaaahhh! at any rate, i sympathize. I have lost 3-4 lbs in fact.

has anyone else lost weight on this morning sickness diet?

Expecting 1st 5/25/11 after topsy turvy two years of trying. Married to best guy ever. Always <3 .
#40 of 46 Old 10-17-2010, 07:09 PM

Spicy spicy spicy spicy spicy!!! I can't get enough of super hot spicy stuff. Wasabi, chili powder... it's all good.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#41 of 46 Old 10-18-2010, 12:39 PM

I pretty much just hate food in general right now.

I get an idea in my head that I really really want something and if I am lucky enough to get it by the time I do I can't eat it anyways. EVERYTHING sounds nasty! Especially anything processed, too sweet, or greasy.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#42 of 46 Old 10-18-2010, 12:48 PM

Things that have been DELICIOUS to me recently:

Grilled Cheese
Buttery Noodles (yes good old white noodles, not whole wheat)
Baked Ziti
Pizza
White beans and ground turkey with a little bit of ketchup
Frozen broc with some melted american cheese
and... toast, eggs, cheese, repeat...
also V8 has been AWESOME

Actually... we roasted a bunch of veggies and they were dynamite - I've really enjoyed roasted asparagus, brussels sprouts, even cauliflower and of course sweet potatoes and squash were yummy

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#43 of 46 Old 10-18-2010, 12:54 PM

I've definitely lost weight on the morning sickness diet... this past week has been better though, so I'm hoping when I jump on the scale on wednesday (aka - the wii fit. I don't have a real scale) it will show that, for the first time since getting that positive, I haven't lost any weight. I've also dropped a little over 3 lbs.

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#44 of 46 Old 10-25-2010, 12:14 PM

I am "up" to 8 lbs lost! Sheesh! this has got to turn around soon....
Thank GOD, i am not nearly as sick as last week (i read somewhere around week 9 the hgh (??not sure which) hormone or one of them is at it's peak and therefore sickness may be at its worst.) that was definitely me last week. I am feeling like 90% better than last week. Eating is still a challenge but no more vomiting or the feel of vomiting at the thought of ANY kind of food except a specific couple. yucko. Getting enough protein is tough. Give me calories!

#45 of 46 Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM

I CANNOT eat chicken In any form. Grilled chicken, chicken burritos, chicken enchiladas, nothing! It sucks

heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
#46 of 46 Old 10-26-2010, 01:05 PM

I had morning sickness for three weeks and could eat almost nothing that I'd normally eat. I have PCOS, so I usually do really low GI foods which means very few carbs and low sugars. Sadly, that's all I could keep down. I called it beige food. Noodles with olive oil, breads, crackers, rice. It was fun to eat a bagel again, but I'm glad that's over with for now. I couldn't stand the smell of pretty much everything except my husbands head.

My general cravings have been: bananas, cheeses, egg salad sandwiches, crispy chicken skin (had rotisserie chicken 4 days in a row at one point), pickles, pizza, Kraft dinner (mac 'n cheese to the Americans) which I hadn't eaten in three years because I'm a no junk food type of girl due to all my food related medical issues, & coconut water.

Now that I can fully eat again life is good. Food is one of my hobbies, so it sucked not being able to cook for fear of hurling all over the kitchen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page