Chicken pox! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me neice and nephew have chicken pox. My kids have not had them yet. i have 2 year old twins and a 4 year old. Should I have them over tomorrow so i can expose my kids. I had them as a kid so I should be okay being exposed while pregnant right?

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 PM

Unless you have been tested and know you have immunity, I wouldn't.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 06:42 PM

I wouldn't not just cos of the potential risk to you if you have never had cp yourself but the idea of having 3 lo's with cp while pregnant wouldn't be good, the 2yo would probe be fine but if your 4 yo is the same as my dd was when she had them at that age she was very miserable even though she had very little spots compared to her 1 and 2 yr old sister and brother.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#4 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca_howell View Post
Unless you have been tested and know you have immunity, I wouldn't.
#5 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

I had my blood work last week and they tested. I can call in the morning and get those results. I had chicken pox and shingles before. My 4 year old has a super immune system. She has barely ever been sick and has never had medicine, not even tylenol. They were all nursed until 22 months. So I am really not worried about them. I think they will handle it fine.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#6 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 07:03 PM

I wouldnt worry about the kids either.. it's you I'd be cautious with

If you had shingles then I think a very high percentage of people who have had shingles do develop immunity.. some dont though and they are more susceptible to reactivation or contracting the virus at times of low immune function. In early pregnancy, especially, your immune function is suppressed to help your body not reject the baby.

It's great that they tested you, my doc doesnt run that test standard. So, you can make an educated decision.
#7 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

I decided not to do it I know I am immune. But I just can't get past that 1 % chance. GRRR! This would have been perfect timing.

#8 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 09:13 PM

I'll be honest...I would NOT want to deal with 3 kids having chicken pox at once while in the first trimester. All 3 of my kids had chicken pox last Oct/Nov and though having them all done with it at once would've been nice I would've never been able to care for them all the way they needed, especially in the first tri. My dd's case wasn't bad(she got them first from who knows where) but she was needy and in the bath a lot. About a week after she was done with them DS1(almost 3 then) got them and he had a HORRIBLE case...well over 200 spots he was so itchy and in such pain...lived in the tub and had a day where all he did was cry he was so uncomfortable. DS2, who was about 10 months at the time, did fine, his case wasn't too bad, but he was still uncomfy too and got them about 2 days after his brother did.
So while I know it's nice to get them out of the way it's probably better to wait. Oh and I did have a friend who was pregnant bring over her son to get the pox...she was fine and he got the pox. She was in her 2nd tri though. Also my dh's cousins 4 boys were exposed like 3 times and never got them, so you never know if they were exposed they may not even develop.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#9 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I totally would have done it! It'd be a great excuse to lay around and cuddle up with my kiddos all day.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#10 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 10:51 PM

I would have done it too. I'm assuming it's not too late if you change your mind very soon. I'd totally do it. When else are you going to get this opportunity?
Sure, the timing could be better but still.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#11 of 17 Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 AM

The thing is, kids don't always get sick at those playdates. I've been to two pox parties and they've still not gotten it. Even with swapping suckers with the sick kids and everything. Because I've already done it twice and now have 3 kids and one on the way, I'm even more desperate to get it over with.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#12 of 17 Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM

I'm on the fence on this. I haven't had my daughter vaccinated for CPox and I really don't know what to do. (I agree with vaccinations, but we are vaccinating on a modified schedule)

My main concern is shingles later in life. I know if you've had chicken pox, that you're susceptible to shingles later. But... if you get the CPox vaccine, are you susceptible or immune to shingles later in life?

Robin's wife, Harper's mommy, lifestyle and birth photographer, aspiring doula 
***4***8***12***16***20***belly.gif***28***32***36***40
#13 of 17 Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalyn View Post
I'm on the fence on this. I haven't had my daughter vaccinated for CPox and I really don't know what to do. (I agree with vaccinations, but we are vaccinating on a modified schedule)

My main concern is shingles later in life. I know if you've had chicken pox, that you're susceptible to shingles later. But... if you get the CPox vaccine, are you susceptible or immune to shingles later in life?
Vaccines aren't as good at producing immunity in the body as the body is at doing it on its' own. The vaccine is not likely to protect from shingles later in life. You can do a google search to double check me but I have read on it before.

You do what you want of course, but I will mention that vaccines have ingredients in them that are dangerous and can be considered unethical. And like I said, they don't necessarily give you the immunity that they promise to give and have been known to give you the things that they are supposed to prevent since it is injecting the body with the disease or virus directly into the bloodstream. That bypasses all the body's natural defenses and actually is part of the reason that true immunity is hard to get from a vaccine.

I've researched all of what I said online. There are tons of websites about the dangers of vaccines and how well they work at producing immunity etc. I just thought I'd give you something to think about.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#14 of 17 Old 10-06-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My neice and nephew were vaccinated and still got it. And no you aren't immune to shingles. That is one of the problems with the vaccine, there are very young kids getting shingles as a result of the vaccine.

#15 of 17 Old 10-08-2010, 12:10 AM

I don't know whether there's evidence that the protection vaccines confer is less real than that of live virus infection. I've been all over the developing world and haven't picked up anything I've been immunized against, though in some countries, commonly immunized-against diseases still run (sadly) rampant. I'd be interested to read any peer-reviewed research that shows the benefits of live virus infection outweigh those of vaccination and the detriments of catching the disease.

To answer your question, both the wild-type chicken pox virus and the vaccine can reactivate later in life as shingles. Neither confers 100% protection. It's thought that exposure to the virus as an adult (either the wild-type or via shingles vaccine) is the best way to avoid reactivation later on.

I have no problems with vaccines; that said, I had chicken pox as a child and it wasn't so bad. I suspect when the time comes, I'll look at the stats and decide if this is one I'll have my kids get...or just let them pick up from their friends. If there's any risk of death from wild-type chicken pox at all, I'll probably honestly go with the vaccine (it appears from CDC data there has never been a death associated with it after 40 million vaccinations, hard to beat that, I guess). I'm a wimp so I'll just play it as safe as possible.

And if they haven't caught it in childhood, I'd definitely vaccinate. My best friend in junior high caught it at 16 and she was out of school for over a month, and ended up with scars, and I'd hate that for my kids.

So...it's up to you and what you think sounds safest for your family!
#16 of 17 Old 10-08-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
But... if you get the CPox vaccine, are you susceptible or immune to shingles later in life?
ddcc

I can tell you that even if you have the vaccine, it doesn't mean you won't get CP. My vaccinated stepson brought home the CP to his unvaccinated sisters. They all got it from him! Not to mention he gave it to severel of his vacccinated classmates as well!!! My girls had not a single issue with CP. It was like any other day. There was one night where one dd climbed into our bed because she was itchy but she promptly fell asleep. That was it, I swear! I remember being like "what! This is it!??? What are people afraid of!" And they were covered in pox!

My dss had just a few pox but ended up having a dry, hacking cough for over a month (until he saw a homeopath). It was related to the fact that his body was unable to fully express the disease.

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#17 of 17 Old 10-08-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyentist View Post
And if they haven't caught it in childhood, I'd definitely vaccinate. My best friend in junior high caught it at 16 and she was out of school for over a month, and ended up with scars, and I'd hate that for my kids.
Scars are just part of getting chicken pox. At any age. Acne leaves scars too and you can't prevent acne.

Not scratching pox can help prevent scars. It's like any itchy bug bite, don't scratch! But getting anyone, whether a child or adult to not scratch something that itches is almost impossible. I've had friends that had success dotting the pox with calamine lotion on a q tip, oatmeal baths, and using scar cream once they started healing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page