weekly Chat Thread Oct 11-17 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2010, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For the most part, I am going with the cravings. I have been eating primally since April but since the cravings have come, I have indulged a bit. As long as I am not eating cookie dough for a meal or McDonalds or something. I will allow crackers with my cheese or occasional ice cream.

If I want pasta sauce with cooked ground beef and caramelized onions and garlic for three meals so be it! If I want to eat Chicken Corn Chowder soup every day for a week, ok! I go with it for the most part. But today I was craving cake pretty badly. I gave in somewhat; I allowed myself three cookies, but no way am I going to go back to how I was eating a year ago. There is no good reason to allow myself cake. If I have one piece I will eat an entire cake. So I am still careful.

But I am being super lenient with myself and my lack of interest in veggies. I know it'll come back eventually.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am also nauseous unless I'm eating. I haven't ever thrown up, but when I get hungry I start feeling really sick. Then I down the protein, and I feel great again. I feel like I always have something in my mouth.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
Old 10-13-2010, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
ughhhhhhhhhh the morning sickness.....
it is getting worse...i have thrown up 4 times since last night and have been super nauseated all day...my husband just made me chicken noodle soup and brought it to me in bed with crackers. i ate probably a cup of it and promptly threw it up.

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

Old 10-13-2010, 06:51 PM

The fridge thing is messing with me lately too. Boy, is it stinky! I told my dh that I would appreciate it if he cleaned the fridge this weekend as I can't stand it anymore.

Veggies are a no-no for me now as well. I can't seem to stomach them.
I was low carb before pregnancy but soon as I got preggo that changed. And I'm over the low carb thing anyway. Sandwiches seem pretty alright. And I like lentil soup. I get organic lentil soup from costco and eat it with crackers.

I was cutting out dairy for a good while but now I'm eating cheese and drinking milk again. I try to get organic.

I can't wait til this nausea goes away. I'm definitely sick of it like some of you.
I'm really hoping it decides to leave me soon.

I'm pretty excited to be 10 weeks now, soon it'll be second trimester and second trimester is so much better for me!

I slept 9 hours last night. I still felt tired waking up. I've been bad about going to bed at a decent time. Mostly been getting around 7 hours of sleep but it's been wearing me down so much that starting yesterday I went to bed a bit earlier. It seems I may need to go to bed even earlier. Pregnancy is nuts. LOL
Naps are nice but my almost 4 year old doesn't do them very often so neither do I. Just mentioning nap just made me yawn. Pathetic. :P

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 10-13-2010, 09:23 PM

I really appreciate all the comments. Im sorry so many of you can commiserate.

nix, your experience breaks my heart. Life isnt fair. I have so many questions for God some day.

Your SMIL and my mom sound like they would make fabulous friends.

geekgolightly,
I feel lucky that I dont like sweets this pregnancy so far. I can relate to the eating the whole cake thing. Im going to try making lemon meringue pie today and do it lower sugar. I can handle pies because there are only 8 pieces. If I totally lose my mind and eat the whole thing atleast I get the egg protein

-----------

Regarding veggies, Ive been using the sneakychef method on the whole family lately and making lots of soups or casseroles. My favorite ways to get them in are tamale pie and this thing we call "Slop" that is a dirty rice kind of dish full of veggies and protein. My DD doesnt like beans and honestly Im not that crazy about them right now, so the dirty rice is my way of sneaking them in.. I also put diced tomatoes, grated carrots, green onions, red and green peppers. I also like to put cojita cheese.

For the tamale pie, I use some combination of carrots, onions, , sweet potatoes, zucchini, red and green peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, creamed corn, diced tomatoes, whole black beans and greens. I stick them (not the tomatoes or the usually the beans) in the food processor and get them as small as I can without making them liquid and mix them with a lower fat masa with earth balance and cream corn subbing for most of the fats, I do add a little butter. We usually put cheese on the top and serve with creme fraiche or sour cream and lots of cholula for the adults.

There is also alot of sneaking nutrients into potato soup with steamed veggies and then I puree them and add with a complementary spice. I puree soft tofu in for protein. A couple of days we did Pumpkin, roasted fennel and apple soup. It was easy, just roasted everything in the oven and cooled it, then threw it in the food processor, then to meld in a soup pot with some stock and cashew cream to thicken. It was really good.

It doesnt take that long to do any of those and you can make huge batches and eat them for days. You can add ground beef to the "Slop" and a layer of it to the tamale pie if you cook it with mexican spices and maybe some diced tomatoes or a little tomato sauce. I like to 6 chicken breasts with a can of diced tomatoes, cumin, garlic, salt and a couple dashes of chili powder (kid friendly) and cook at a low simmer for 30-45 minutes till it shreds nicely and then remove the chicken, reduce the liquid and mix it all back together and layer.

These are pretty budget friendly meals too.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 PM

my best friend and his wife are having their baby today!!! she was induced this morning at 7:15 and sent home...they just went back in (it's 5:30 there) and her contractions are 2 minutes apart...i'm so excited!!!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:55 PM

Will you post the tamale pie recipe, MamaChef? It sounds yummmmm

Speaking of lemony stuff, I couldn't resist some meyer lemons I saw at WF. With that, I will be making a lemon curd. I am excited!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:35 PM

Okay, measuring is not my strong point in this recipe with the exception of the dry ingredients, fats and can of corn so you are going to have to adjust a little. The good thing is if you add too much water you can just cook it longer If you have more or different veggies, you can adjust the liquid at the end...So it's pretty foolproof... This makes a 9 x 13 casserole
3.5 c Masa flour (Maseca .. none of that quaker crap)
1 can creamed corn
1/4 cup butter (or just add more of whatever fat you like, it's best if it's a solid fat)
1/4 cup earth balance (or just add more of whatever fat you like, it's best if it's a solid fat)
2 Tbsp of cumin if your kids can handle spices
1 Tbsp granulated garlic
1 tsp salt
3 medium carrots
1 large onion (think the mayan sweet onions, like 4 inch diameter - or equivalent)
2 green peppers (seeded and stemmed and quartered)
2 red peppers (seeded and stemmed and quartered)
1 - 2 cup zucchini (or broccoli, or greens (greens will give it a green tint) - smaller diced)
Vegetable or chicken stock
2 cups cheese (optional)

Preheat the oven to 425

1. In a food processor or blender (you can also dice everything whatever size your family would most like), add the carrots and pulse until minced/still fibrous but not liquid. Scrape out to bowl. Add onions, green peppers, red peppers and zucchini and pulse till it is chunky salsa textured or smaller (we make it like a smooth salsa to hide the veggies from dd). It will be a little watery and dont worry if you do it too much, you cant really screw this up. Mix it with the carrots and set aside.

2. In a large bowl whip the fats (butter, earth balance, shortening) until fluffy. Add half the masa and mix until combined. Add can of cream corn and mix till combined. Add rest of the masa flour, salt, garlic, cumin and the vegetables from step 1. Start with 1 cup of stock, mixing well. I usually seem to use about 2- 2.5 cups. You want the consistency of uncooked cornbread. It should be thick and very most, stick together very easily, not be liquidy, but you dont want it dry either. If it feels grainy it is probably too dry. If you want you can mix rinsed black or pinto beans in at this point. If your kids dont like whole beans, you can mix refried beans in before you add the stock and then adjust the amount of stock you use.

3. Butter a 9 x 13 casserole dish. You have some additional options.. you can layer some tamale mixture and then put ground beef or shredded or diced chicken in the center.. you can add more cheese to the center, a thin layer of refried beans (refried beans will increase your cook time).. pork, chorizo, jalepeno chicken sausage, veggie crumbles, etc. Top with second layer of tamale mixture and bake covered loosely with foil (just lay a piece of foil on the top) for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 20- 40 more minutes (If you make it wet or with refried beans it takes longer) until a knife comes out clean of the masa mix.

4. Remove from oven to rack. Cover with shredded cheese and let it melt with the existing heat. Let cool and firm up.

It is so much better if you can let it cool and set up a bit before eating. So if you try this recipe and you dont dig it the first night, try it again the next day.

Serve with Cholula, your favorite salsa, enchilada sauce, or like my friend who has 4 boys with bottomless pits of stomachs and works a full time job - microwave some chili, a can of rotel and a block of velveeta and pour on each serving

I hope you try it. It freezes wonderfully and is so much easier then tamales with a very similar taste. I love tamale pie.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:14 PM

Thanks for sharing some food ideas Mamachef. I'm a novice cook to put it nicely. So, any tips are much appreciated. My 4 dishes I'm decent at are ground turkey enchiladas,, home-made pizza, cabbage casserole and baked spaghetti/inside out lasagna if I add cottage cheese (LOL.) Cabbage casserole is my least fave at the moment cuz of the M/S.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 10-14-2010, 08:51 AM

I made the lemon curd last night. Ended up stirring it on the stove for 20 minutes. Worth it, though.

I am buying the ingredients for the tamale pie and making this on Sunday. I am so excited! Thank you, MamaChef!

Old 10-14-2010, 10:28 AM

mmm... mght have to get my hands on some lemon curd today - I don't care about the pie crust or the merangue but some lemon goo would be yummy.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 AM

nothing sounds appetizing right now. blah.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:07 PM

nothing. at. all.

i really wanted triscuits and cheese, bananas, and salsa and tortilla chips. until i woke up. *sigh*

Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee View Post
nothing. at. all.

i really wanted triscuits and cheese, bananas, and salsa and tortilla chips. until i woke up. *sigh*

all of that sounds delicious and i have nothing but the cheese and salsa.

i finally ate an orange and threw it up. ever throw up an orange? not recommended.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:48 PM

if it makes you feel any better, i threw up rootbeer and cheese last night.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee View Post
if it makes you feel any better, i threw up rootbeer and cheese last night.
Oh eww... I nearly threw up this morning with nothing on my tummy. Now I need to go to the bank and Publix and BJs... But I don't feel like moving!! Much less getting the kids dressed!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 10-14-2010, 01:02 PM

Seafox - My mother also has some serious selective memory about what my childhood was REALLY like with her. She was terrifying to me. I'm glad you had a good birth experience with your mom. I bet it did bring out the labor coach in her.

My mother was "surprised" to find out she was 3 months pregnant. Her words were - "All my clothes didn't fit and I was sure I was getting fat." My dad dragged her to the doc's office because he knew she was pregnant.

Anyway... she's many states away. I'm seeing her for Thanksgiving. I've already said I'm in charge of making the carb dishes (potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie.)

I also have an ED that I'm recovering from. In 2007 I realized I was not just a "shitty dieter" but that I had Compulsive Overeating Disorder and Binge Eating Disorder (COE/BED). I've worked in therapy for a few years and am happy to say that even though I'm a size 14/16, and that doesn't look to be changing any time soon, I'm happy, healthy, well-adjusted, and I love doing my yoga and swimming. I also do not talk about food and exercise with my mom (or my sister.) That keeps my head above water.

I do crave positive mom energy - luckily my mother in law is amazing and will be my husband's backup in our birth plan.

On the veggie front - thanks for the yummy recipe MamaChef I'll be looking back at it this weekend. I was able to enjoy some broccoli with melted low-fat cheese last night (along with baked tofu with cinnamon and cayenne and buttery oh-so-good noodles).

The weird thing is that I have all these dinner plans and shopping lists but I really can't use them because I never know how things are going to seem to me at the time.

CONGRATS ON THOSE WHO ARE HITTING 12 WEEKS!!!! I'm really not a nervous person about my pregnancy. Good family histories etc. But I am so very excited to get out of the first tri.

Also... when are those of you further ahead going to start posting belly pics? Of course I'm a total wuss when it comes to that, want to have a real baby belly instead of mama's starting pooch to show, but the belly pic threads are so cute. Looking forward to sharing the adventure with all of you!!!

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
Old 10-14-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
For the most part, I am going with the cravings. I have been eating primally since April but since the cravings have come, I have indulged a bit. As long as I am not eating cookie dough for a meal or McDonalds or something. I will allow crackers with my cheese or occasional ice cream.

If I want pasta sauce with cooked ground beef and caramelized onions and garlic for three meals so be it! If I want to eat Chicken Corn Chowder soup every day for a week, ok! I go with it for the most part. But today I was craving cake pretty badly. I gave in somewhat; I allowed myself three cookies, but no way am I going to go back to how I was eating a year ago. There is no good reason to allow myself cake. If I have one piece I will eat an entire cake. So I am still careful.

But I am being super lenient with myself and my lack of interest in veggies. I know it'll come back eventually.
I only wish I could induldge my cravings while eating primally! I am eating potatoes and beans occasionally, but I have a gluten intolerance, and whenever I eat even gluten free grains I throw up, so it's just not worth the indulgence. Oh, and I eat dairy too. I guess I'm not completely primal. I eat mostly eggs, meat, veggies(cooked), potatoes, beans, yogurt, cheese and fruit. With the occasionaly junk food item, snickers bar, etc. lol. But I ate a snickers the other and threw up that night, so really it's forcing me to eat pretty well. It doesn't mean I don't dream about chicken fried steak or cheese fries though!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 PM

Totally done with bizzare, vivid pregnancy dreams. Just wanted to throw that out there, thanks!

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:55 PM

i'm totally going to start a belly picture thread now :P
i'm only about 8 weeks but still... :P

Old 10-14-2010, 04:01 PM

ryleeee... sounds like you have a lot to distract yourself from start that thread girl!
sorry you're feeling so crappy!!!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 04:12 PM

my best friends had their baby about 10 minutes ago!!!!
:j oy
yay!!!!!!!!!!! welcome baby mira faith!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 04:41 PM

dayiscoming,
I love cooking. It's my meditation. My family was in restaurants so, growing up alot of love was expressed through food. It's been really hard not feeling up to it, or just downright like crap lately. Its such a viscious cycle for me. If I dont put good quality food in every few hours then it just snowballs till Im lying on the couch with DD watching Dora the Explorer all day because if I move I want to puke.. and, I hate puking. Casseroles and freezer cooking = comfort food to me.

What kind of food does your family like? I love sharing recipes.

If you want a really great, pretty quick and easy (once you get the hang of the phyllo) recipe, I love the cooking light phyllo pizza. It's lowerfat then regular pizza.
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...10000001906342

I actually like it better then pizza. Which is shocking to me because I used to love pizza. I oven roast sugar tomatoes, use gorgonzola instead of feta and put on frozen artichoke hearts, lots of green onions and sliced mushrooms. Ive also used goat cheese and gruyere... added olive slices, leftover diced chicken, carmelized onions..I love this dish. It makes me want to eat a big salad too. They just go together. The phyllo dough takes a bit of getting used to, but if you keep it covered with a damp tea towel, then it's not bad at all once you get the hang of it. It also works so much better for me if it is just a little chilled, almost room temp. If you defrost it, make sure it is good and defrosted or else it will shatter all over on you. If you dont roast the tomatoes this doesnt take long at all to throw together.

On the other end of the spectrum of fat, but atleast they are relatively good fats .. Ive got a good peanut sauce recipe that Ill make a triple or quadruple batch of and freeze. Then I can just pull out boring chicken breasts, put on some quinoa, wilt some spinach and microwave the sauce. The whole thing takes about 20 minutes hands on time and the big batch of sauce takes about 20 if you have a blender or food processor.

geekgolightly,
You are gonna love it! Mmm lemon curd. It makes me want scones. I made the pie late last night and Im making myself wait until after dinner today. I really like it chilled and set up, so it's a good sacrifice. Then all bets are off, and Im going to eat some adobo chicken for the protein and two pieces of pie. I hope it tastes as good as the craving. I made it alot more tart then sweet, so hopefully.

annaconda,
I dont have the clinical diagnosis.. but I know I exhibit BED if Im not carefull. Bullemia controlled my highschool and early college years. I dont purge anymore, but before some seriously intense therapy using lifespan integration - I still Binged.

Now I can stop myself if Im being mindful and not stuck in somekind of emotional turmoil, but it's a concerted effort. I dont make cookies unless I know I can cut the recipe portions significantly with good results or they are leaving my house that day. I wont sit down and eat a whole cake.. but over the course of a day, I sure would shove 20 cookies into my mouth. My first pregnancy my craving was chocolate chip cookies. There is a whole bunch of emotional symbolism in chocolate chip cookies, particullarly, for me and that craving heightened the emotions of my first pregnancy and seriously aggravated my BED. Luckily I got a hold of myself after a couple batches..

Im also a 14. I've spent the last 2 years getting healthier in my life, working out, trying to eat healthy, not really diet. I lost 27 lbs before we found out we were pregnant this time and Im really hoping not to gain more then 20 this pregnancy. Im focusing on quality foods and hoping to pick the treadmill back up after this trimester.

Have you read the book, Mothering without a Map. It really resounded with me.

Skrimpy,
I dont really dig the vivid pregnancy dreams either. They are way worse when Im stressed about something too.

Me,
We have coslept and will continue to do so for the next couple years, most likely. But I want to get my DDs room decorated as her special place before the baby comes. I want her to have a place to go that isnt some kind of isolation, but that she enjoys. We are going to repaint the walls like the darker blue walls with he vines on http://disney.go.com/disneyhome/disn...d/tinkbed.html We found a daybed with a trundle on craigslist and hubby repainted it warm white.. It has been impossible to find good daybed bedding for a reasonable price.

I think Im going to go get an IKEA comforter and cover the top with http://www.fabric.com/just-arrived-j...d-29889bf8fb7b then use this as either a piping or edging http://www.fabric.com/just-arrived-j...d-29889bf8fb7b -Ill use the blue to make big bolster covers and make a couple accent pillows with the green. I also want to make these but havent decided on the fabric yet.
http://pennycarnival.typepad.com/pen...k-display.html

And this http://makesomething.ca/2009/01/23/twinkle-blackboard/

I'll just buy a white box pleat bedskirt. We still need to find a tall dresser on craigslist.

Hopefully this will all come together quick. Id like to get the room completely done by Christmas.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:45 PM

i dreamed the other night that i was currently pregnant and my husband was the father, but he wasn't my husband in my dream-- i was cheating on my ex (whom in real life i left for my now husband) who was coming back from deployment and i had to tell him. so in the dream when he gets back from deployment, he grabs me up in his arms and kisses me. oh. my. god. i wanted to throw up in my dream and when i woke up. it was so vivid.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:55 PM

mamachef it's on my list for the next amazon trip. looks great.
I have gotten a lot more healthy... but have not really lost any weight. I just have to be ok with that now, and also know that for the most part, I don't really binge any more... nor do I really overeat like I used to. I just have a big portion (or maybe a second) and that's overeating for me. When I think about what I used to put away... wow. There was little "stop" mechanism. Now I don't like that feeling of over full.

Crazy, but I haven't had any real cravings this pregnancy. There have been low blood sugar incidents, sure, and there was that time with the jalapeno poppers and last night with buttery noodles, but I don't really consider them need cravings, more like wants. I got bloodwork done before preg. and everything was pretty darn good so I'm thinking I've got good mineral/vit stores in place.

So chatty chat chat... I popped over to the fabulous one thread and wished them some - looking forward to the opening of the July DDC thread makes me feel like more of an old timer. Woohoo!

Old 10-14-2010, 07:01 PM

I also struggle w/ an eating disorder, mostly compulsive overeating. When not pregnant, I keep it in check by counting my calories, etc. It's harder to keep it in check when pregnant. It also does not help that I write restaurant reviews for a living, but thankfully, that's only a few times a month.

I've been so moody this week!!! My children are driving me nuts! AGHHH!

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
Old 10-15-2010, 12:05 AM

So apparently my nausea is caused by high stomach acid. I figured this out when it turned in to reflux I am some where between 7 weeks 4 days and 8 weeks 6 days. Anyway, I've been craving tomatoey foods all this time so now I'm having to find new things to want...going in the direction of pretzels and crackers. Quite a change.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:04 AM

camprunner, you can try diluting your stomach acid by drinking more water. The liver goes kinda crazy making hormones in the first tri and it works in cahoots with the gallbladder to slow down digestion and increase bile. I worked with a midwife who had a theory that the meat aversion stages of early pregnancy were because everything is so slowed down digestively by the hormones.

My kid keeps stealing my Snoogle. I got it yesterday when her and Daddy were out for a walk and got to enjoy it for like 20 minutes. It was so nice. At bedtime she cuddled me and her teddy like normal, but when I came to bed at 10 she was in my snoogle. I tried to pick her up and she all flung herself backwards into it and whimpered. I got to take a nap with it earlier and it was glorious.

It was actually the best night of sleep Ive ever had, even waking up with the hurting hips. Usually she is on top of me all night squirming around. She didnt move from the Snoogle till 7 am. Daddy put her to bed tonite and he said she wouldnt give up the Snoogle and I should order her one just so we can all sleep comfortably. I have a Lil' Snoogle on the way. It would be so wonderful if we could repeat this every night. I love having my kiddo near me, but hate how fidgety she can be.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:25 AM

Mamachef - Is there anything you can do or take while pregnant to help support or gently cleanse your liver? My MW mentioned that she has read recently that they think the state of your liver(and the amount of toxins in it, including pregnancy hormones) may effect how bad your morning sickness is.

I'm still puking a couple times a day and feeling nauseous off and on all day. And am So tired...I'm getting ready to go to bed now and it's not even 10pm. I just wish my dh could be continually supportive instead of swinging back and forth in his moods. I cannot wait for this first trimester to be over.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

Old 10-15-2010, 11:08 AM

I started taking 50mg of B6 in the morning and before bed a few days ago (100mg/day total).... and am feeling SO much better. The nausea and the extreme fatigue are both letting up substantially.

User Tag List