nursing mamas...how is it going? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2010, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hear you on the sensitivity, both the painful latches & the irritation factor as the session goes on.  I was actually really surprised at how different dry nursing feels to before when I actually had a letdown.  The nightweaning has continued to go incredibly well so now it's just nap/bed time that are the problem.  DD gets frustrated now that I can no longer nurse her right down to a deep sleep & if anything my presence there is a distraction to her.  I actually broke down & cried this weekend out of frustration after 2 hrs of unsuccessfully try to get an exhausted toddler down for a nap.  Some days I really feel like a "one trick pony" & that without my boobs I'm kind of useless to her.  Thankfully after a long walk & her finally napping we both felt a little better.

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, I thought we'd bumped this one not too long ago, but I must have posted in a thread not on our DDC.  Just checking in...how is everyone doing?  Has your little one weaned or are you still going strong?

DS was 33 months yesterday and he is down to nursing once a day (occasionally skipping a day, and occasionally having a day where he wants it more often) for just a few seconds to a couple of minutes.  I have gone from it being painful to it being just...aaaaaagggh!  I fear sometimes I let my feelings about it show too much, but at the same time, it is a mutual relationship and I need to set some boundaries if it's too much for me to handle.  Sigh. 

I'm not entirely unhappy that he's cut way back.  He spends the entire time that he's latched on flutter sucking trying to get a letdown, it totally gives me the heebie jeebies.  But, that said, the thought that today could well be the day that he doesn't ask and never asks again threatens to turn me into a blubbering mess of tears.  Go figure :P

He still recites very heartfelt odes to my boobies multiple times a day :P, so part of me thinks he might continue the occasional latch and then pick back up when the milk comes in.  However, I kinda thought that might happen with DS1, and it didn't - but he tried and couldn't remember how to nurse, and that was terribly sad.  So I'm not sure whether I'd rather just see a clean break now while there's still time for him to get used to being done.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 AM

i thought caden was weaning cos he was only feeding once a day and some days not at all but he had a few very long feeds over the weekend so looks like he's not ready to wean yet smile.gif

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Old 01-31-2011, 01:09 PM

Still going here.  She would have skipped few days but I offered her so those days she nursed at least once.  If we're at home and the mood strikes her she asks several times.  I think that my milk has increased a bit.  I notice her nursing a lot more on the right side (always produced more but she usually spent similar time on the left before the pregnancy) so I figure it's more rewarding. I've been asking her about the flavor and so far the left one tastes like cheese whereas the right one tastes like milk.  I figure that the left one is still producing salty milk and that the right one probably less salty. Few weeks ago they were both cheese.

****5****10***15****20****25****30****35 ****40
Old 02-01-2011, 06:56 AM

we're still going here! Adrian will be 2 next month. he doesn't nurse every day, but i know i've got milk there now. he finally figured out the sign for milk about a month ago so he'll ask for it in the evenings, but mostly only nurses first thing in the AM. i've been lucky, we didn't really experience any pain in the beginning, and the nipple pain during 2nd trimester is pretty much gone as well. he only nurses from one side (the side that always produced more).

Lisa mama to Adrian born 3/09 by unnecessarean
#2 is coming in May 2011! planning for a home vbac.gif
Old 02-16-2011, 11:08 PM

My 2yr old is loving suckles throughout the day. Colostrum has really come in now and I think he is happy about that. I am almost 29w. He has been a little slack with using his teeth to latch on which is no fun. I have to remind him to not bite.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

We haven't nursed for 11 days (other than "pretend milky", through my shirt, something he conveniently started on his own a few days before our hiatus) .  DS woke up with a cold sore (WTH?  Cold sores are unheard of in our house, so weird...and he wasn't even run down or anything) last Monday morning.  After some poking around online, it looks like it would be very unlikely to actually transfer the virus to my breast, but given that we were 12 weeks (now 11) from a new baby, and he is just dry nursing once a day, I decided to just let him do the pretend milky till it's healed.  I am a little sad but mostly (like, 90%) okay with that.  Once he's healed we'll see if he can still latch, and whether he still wants to.

We are at the same point in pregnancy as we were when DS1 weaned.  They are similar in age, too - DS1 was 30 months at last latch, and DS2 was 33 and a bit (assuming he doesn't come back to it :P).

Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 AM

we are still nursing, and I think now I am pretty much planning to try tandem-ing. I am just not ready to give it up with DS and am hoping in some ways it helps adjust to the new babe. When I get home from work its the first thing we do and its also the first thing we do in the morning. Amusingly, he stopped signing for milk and now says 'boooo' (for boob!) whups. I'm glad he's nightweaned at least and hope it isn't too chaotic nursing two.

I still do have milk I guess, I can express some, it looks rather watery and I have no letdowns, so I guess its a slow tap for him smile.gif but he seems to like it still! I wonder when it'll turn to colostrum (I am 26 weeks now)

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 AM

DS still nurses once a day but has been losing interest, i.e. easily distracted.  I get a lot of BHs when we nurse which is uncomfortable for me.  I would like him to wean before LO comes but I am not doing anything to actively wean him.  I just don't want to tandem and I don't want him to feel rejected when the babe comes...

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

User Tag List