nursing mamas...how is it going? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 69 Old 10-17-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Little check in for those of us nursing toddlers/babes during pregnancy: how are things going?

Has anyone noticed a change in stools? My little guy is 2.5 years old and whoa, things are much different for him in that department. I am almost 12 weeks - seems early for colostrum? Something is definitely loosening things up for him (blech!). Not exactly pleasant for a nauseated mommy

He is also commenting on the taste of my milk. He says "That booby saucy". I asked him if he means salty: no. He also said unsweetened applesauce tasted saucy the other day - I am thinking maybe he is interpreting it as more sour/less sweet? I asked him if it tasted better and he said no...so I asked if it tasted worse and he said yes.

I am now having deja vu typing this...I hope this isn't a repeat of something we've already discussed!!
#2 of 69 Old 10-17-2010, 06:32 PM

Going okay, DS is still nursing for naps and bedtime(and overnight) but here in a few weeks, my mom and MIL are each going to take him overnight to try and help nightwean him, just so I don't have to be up all night with him and be exhausted. DH is going to help too, but I'm not going to expect much from him since he never sleeps much anyway due to his long hours at work. I know its going to be hard, but I'm really tired of it Nipples still hurt, but I'm 12 weeks and the nausea is pretty much gone and the nips are starting to feel a little better. The ultimate goal is to get him completely weaned before baby arrives, hopefully longer before than that just so he's not reminded of it when babe starts nursing. I really don't want to tandem, mainly due to my own personal sleep issues. I'm afraid I'll never sleep if I'm up all night nursing two kids and cosleeping.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#3 of 69 Old 10-17-2010, 07:04 PM

It's going ok, caden still pretty much feeds on demand and in the last few weeks has started refusing to go to bed awake so i am now having to feed him to sleep every night.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#4 of 69 Old 10-17-2010, 08:54 PM

Eh it's ok I am not enjoying it at all at the moment though, b/c it is pretty painful. Ds just cut his two top teeth and is teething right now so I am sure that has some to do with it.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#5 of 69 Old 10-17-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_stinkyfeet View Post
Eh it's ok I am not enjoying it at all at the moment though, b/c it is pretty painful. Ds just cut his two top teeth and is teething right now so I am sure that has some to do with it.
that is pretty late for teeth, no? I think DS cut his top teeth at 5 months or so (his bottom came in at 4 mos) I knew he had them early but I didn't know there could be such a range!

we are still nursing here, a LOT. Honestly, I wish DS showed some sign, any sign of a bit of disinterest. But instead, I have to actively fend him off to nurse him as little as I am (which is still 5-9x a day/night - the higher on weekends) I work full time, and I nurse him first thing in the AM, another time before work (not always) after I get home from work, bedtime, and another 2x at night. On weekends its harder since he really asks for it so much and gets so upset when I say no. I have to actively distract him, constantly. Even DH said weekdays are easier - DS plays by himself much better, etc., when I'm not around. He runs interference when DS decides all he wants to do is nurse and my usual distractions aren't working.

I nursed on demand probably until 2 months ago, since he was so slow with solids - I only stopped pumping at work after getting pregnant. And I started limiting recently since it is really draining. My letdowns used to hurt a lot, now they REALLY hurt. Luckily the rest isn't too painful or anything. I just know we'll need to nightwean soon, and I'm not sure how he'll react to any drop in supply if that does happen. Its odd, I have a lot of friends w/ babes the same age who are weaning w/ no issues at all - babe has little interest anymore.

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#6 of 69 Old 10-17-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepetals View Post

Has anyone noticed a change in stools? My little guy is 2.5 years old and whoa, things are much different for him in that department. I am almost 12 weeks - seems early for colostrum? Something is definitely loosening things up for him (blech!). Not exactly pleasant for a nauseated mommy
You know, this makes total sense. DD usually has firm stools, and is super easy to clean up. Recently, they have turned looser, and more often. I wondered if it was something she had eaten, but I guess it may be something she has 'eaten'!

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May
#7 of 69 Old 10-17-2010, 11:06 PM

We're getting ready to nightwean too in another month or so- I just can't take the wakings anymore. I am soooooo exhausted. But we need to move first and get DS used to his new house and get him a new bed so he can spend partial nights in his own space where he seems to do better. We only nurse for nap, bedtime, wakeup, and maybe 2-3 times at night. His molars are still trying to make an appearance so he has been sucking harder, leaving teethmarks and just making me miserable at night.

I'm not so sure that I want to tandem nurse but I guess it would be fine if he was only nursing 1-2x a day. I guess we'll just go with the flow.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#8 of 69 Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 AM

10 weeks here & still REALLY REALLY sore. DD is finally cutting her 4 canine teeth though at 26mos so I don't have the heart to change anything until those come in (no idea what I'm going to do about the 2 year molars whenever they finally show up). I'm seriously considering night weaning as I don't want to night-tandem but I guess I'm stalling until those last 4 come in as she refuses to eat & nurses constantly when she's teething. Oh how I'd love a full night's sleep though.

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
#9 of 69 Old 10-18-2010, 11:26 AM

I have no breast tenderness or nipple soreness, which is REALLY strange for me during a pregnancy - but I am feeling the irritation at nursing, especially when DS3 just latches and doesn't really *do* anything. I think my supply must be dropping off. First thing in the morning he nurses well (he is nightweaned), but the rest of the day it's more "can I just put my mouth there?" nursing and that irks me.

I have nursed through pregnancy in varying degrees but never tandem nursed. I don't really want to wean little G but I'm not sure how I feel about tandem nursing. For now, though, I will continue to nurse him. I've been encouraging him to suckle actively by doing breast compression if he's tending to just sit there. We are definintely nursing a bit less often, though.

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#10 of 69 Old 10-18-2010, 12:06 PM

I think DD has officially weaned. It's been five days since she's asked to nurse. For weeks before that she would ask and then barely latch on and stop. I feel almost shunned! My independent little daughter (21 months) has weaned! My boys didn't wean until about 3 1/2 years old.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#11 of 69 Old 10-18-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
that is pretty late for teeth, no? I think DS cut his top teeth at 5 months or so (his bottom came in at 4 mos) I knew he had them early but I didn't know there could be such a range!

None of my kids cut any teeth until 8mos, There is a large range

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#12 of 69 Old 10-18-2010, 02:26 PM

Nursing for us is going great. I am about 11 1\2 weeks, with no nipple pain. I remind her to open her mouth big and when it starts to get uncomfortable at night, I tell her nursies are night night and that usually works. We also bought her a stuffed animal and everytime I nurse her to sleep, or lay down with her we give her the doggie. Now we can pass on nursies and the give her the dog and that sometimes works too.

SAHM Michael 01-07 & Emmy 12-08
#13 of 69 Old 10-18-2010, 07:24 PM

Going great here! No pain. No drop in supply. I do think DS is requesting to nurse less often though, now that I think about it. He used to try to nurse all day. Now he only nurses when he wakes in the morning and after his nap. I even asked him if he wanted to nurse and he said no. Maybe it does taste different.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#14 of 69 Old 10-19-2010, 02:13 AM

I'd been wondering it tastes different. Before I found out I was pregnant a couple of weeks back, I'd noticed that my daughter (who is just about 2 yrs, 2 mos) has been on a nursing rampage for about the previous month or so. After I got my bfp I realized that her uptick in frequency & duration started after I conceived, and it made me wonder if the milk taste different to her. She's been nursing more like she was when she was 1. It was ok-ish until this past weekend (aside from the whole exhaustion thing since she marathon nurses at night), but now it hurts like heck to boot.

Bah.
#15 of 69 Old 10-19-2010, 12:45 PM

Have any of you noticed a large increase in nursing? My almost 15 month old was nursing what seemed like non-stop at night for the past month or so and is requesting it quite a bit more during the day. Guessing supply is dropping off as am noticing less wet diapers. He still is not really good about regularly eating solids so I'm a bit worried. We are starting to supplement with soy milk, but that hasn't gone over too well. I guess he'll drink it if he's really thirsty?
#16 of 69 Old 10-19-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

laliu, are there other liquids he likes to drink? Water, diluted juice, etc...if he is peeing less, maybe another liquid would help make up some of that hydration. Before I got pregnant, my son was getting, like, an inch of rice milk in a cup once or twice a day - only because he begged for it when he saw his big brother drinking it He would never even finish that little bit. Since I got pregnant, he has started finishing his little bit and asking for more, and has upped his intake of fluids a lot. So I'm thinking definitely my supply has dropped. His nursing frequency is about the same as it was before, but I can tell he's swallowing much less milk.

Sigh. The drawback of nursing while pregnant (for me, at least)...feeling a wee bit guilty!!
#17 of 69 Old 10-19-2010, 01:41 PM

We're still going pretty much as before. She hasnt nursed a lot in the past few days but I'm thinking that is more due to me being sick with a cold. She seems to be dropping night nursing herself which I find a relief. I wish she'd drop the 6am feed too though. When she nurses that early she wants to get up afterwards but if she sleeps through it she sleeps until 7.

I'm hoping that she'll keep up with the nursing since I've been seeing our nursing relationship going on for at least another year. I dont mind tandem nursing, if anything I think it'll be a good bonding experience for her. We'll see how that turns out though lol. I've been talking with her a bit about the baby in the belly and how the baby will grow and also come have boob with her. She seemed interested.

****5****10***15****20****25****30****35 ****40
#18 of 69 Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 PM

My daughter nurses ALL THE TIME. Sometimes it's so much that I find myself gettng frustrated and I consider weening. I want her to ween on her own, but when she snacks all day long, it's rough.

Robin's wife, Harper's mommy, lifestyle and birth photographer, aspiring doula 
***4***8***12***16***20***belly.gif***28***32***36***40
#19 of 69 Old 10-19-2010, 05:55 PM

*sigh*...our nursing days have come to a close....I MIGHT let her nurse at night (before bed) for two more nights to make it to the 20th (that will be our 25 month milestone)....I'm really sad about it...which I didn't think I would be....but at the same time it's been SO aggitating to me the last few weeks....I night weaned her back in the end of July/beginning of August....then it was still nurse on demand during the day....then I backed it off to wake up, nap, and bedtime....then it was just wake up and bedtime....now it's just bedtime....she asks several times a day....it just hurt SO much and I started drying up....so that DOUBLES the pain...youch. Anyway....I cried last night...thank you hormones! LOL....

I really wasn't expecting it to be this emotional of a step! LOL

Martha
Momma to Emma (10), Elzie (8), Gretchen (6), Olive (3), Rogan (1) and Baby #6 due end of April.

#20 of 69 Old 10-20-2010, 12:38 AM

My toddler turned 2 a month a go - 25mths tomorrow. He doesn't feed at night though we are co-sleeping. He feeds about once a day and its all I can really stand. Sometimes it feels like he is not really feeding just sucking- looks like I have colostrum and not milk.
#21 of 69 Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 AM

Well, it seems like the timing is right to nightwean, or wean completely. The only time DS nurses right now is to get to sleep, and that's not even working anymore. I have little to no milk and it's just not settling him down like it used to. He still seems like he wants to nurse, but gets frustrated..He's been putting himself to sleep lately after fitful nursing sessions. Tonight he nursed for a few minutes, and he was still tossing and turning all over the place(hurting my nips in the process) and I finally had to tell him no more. He tossed and turned for about 5 minutes, then finally went to sleep. I've been giving him a sippy cup with water (and a little stevia, cause he really wants juice, but I don't want to give him juice before bed) and that seems to help him with the want to nurse and get milk but not be able to, so it satisfies his thirst enough that sometimes he'll just roll over and go to sleep after sipping water for a bit. I hope this doesn't take very long though because I'm so tired! The thing that's going to be more challenging is the nightwakings to nurse. He wont go back to sleep unless he nurses, so that's gonna be tough.

#22 of 69 Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

hugs to everyone facing the nightweaning challenge. It is tough!

I discovered this morning that I cannot express milk from the one breast I am still nursing from...even right after DS2 comes off! How did that happen? He doesn't seem to be getting much, either - it just seems like it dropped off to nothing overnight. A few days ago he still had visible milk drips on his lips when he came off. Eek! There must still be some coming out, though, cause it hasn't started hurting.

Edited to add: Hmm, I have been having a cup (sometimes two) of peppermint tea some days, definitely once a day for the last couple. One cup of peppermint tea wouldn't diminish my supply, would it? Or maybe it could since there was so little there to start...? Maybe I'll avoid it and see if it picks back up a little.
#23 of 69 Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 PM

bp- I was told not to drink peppermint tea while nursing so maybe that is what is causing your supply to diminish

We need to nightwean NOW but move in a week so can't start anything yet. Happily I went and bought DS's new full size bed for the new house so I have somewhere to go when DH is stuck with DS and vice versa. We are not doing well with the night nursing. He has been up every 45min-2 hours every night and in between fusses half asleep. He was only in bed for 9 hours last night too and fought going down. It has been like this almost a month now after waking every 2-3 hours, so it is just getting worse and worse. He has plenty of solids and fluids all day, so I am not worried about nutrition.

I think its the same situation as MrsBone- I am not producing enough milk to calm him to sleep even though I still need to wear a breast pad on the other side. I make him detach after a few minutes tops and he will settle himself but I am up sometimes until he wakes again. Even for an hour or more. I CANNOT SLEEP and this is making everything worse.

Both DH and I are feeling a little resentful in our exhaustion and even our midwife thinks we may need to wean entirely and get DS to find other ways to sleep. We have been trying everything for 15mo now and I am at a loss. I think we will try a modified Jay Gordon and also move him to the new bed over time. If thats not working, we will have to do cold turkey with some in-arms crying because he basically does that now AFTER he nurses.

Our day sessions only include nursing to nap and sleep so if those dont work either I sadly think we may be getting close to ending nursing. I need to be a good healthy rested mama for both of my kids, not a cranky sick exhausted mama. I am soooo frustrated and I can't parent a high energy toddler all day, let alone a new baby too when I don't sleep more than 2 hours at best.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#24 of 69 Old 10-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penstamon View Post
bp- I was told not to drink peppermint tea while nursing so maybe that is what is causing your supply to diminish

We need to nightwean NOW but move in a week so can't start anything yet. Happily I went and bought DS's new full size bed for the new house so I have somewhere to go when DH is stuck with DS and vice versa. We are not doing well with the night nursing. He has been up every 45min-2 hours every night and in between fusses half asleep. He was only in bed for 9 hours last night too and fought going down. It has been like this almost a month now after waking every 2-3 hours, so it is just getting worse and worse. He has plenty of solids and fluids all day, so I am not worried about nutrition.

I think its the same situation as MrsBone- I am not producing enough milk to calm him to sleep even though I still need to wear a breast pad on the other side. I make him detach after a few minutes tops and he will settle himself but I am up sometimes until he wakes again. Even for an hour or more. I CANNOT SLEEP and this is making everything worse.

Both DH and I are feeling a little resentful in our exhaustion and even our midwife thinks we may need to wean entirely and get DS to find other ways to sleep. We have been trying everything for 15mo now and I am at a loss. I think we will try a modified Jay Gordon and also move him to the new bed over time. If thats not working, we will have to do cold turkey with some in-arms crying because he basically does that now AFTER he nurses.

Our day sessions only include nursing to nap and sleep so if those dont work either I sadly think we may be getting close to ending nursing. I need to be a good healthy rested mama for both of my kids, not a cranky sick exhausted mama. I am soooo frustrated and I can't parent a high energy toddler all day, let alone a new baby too when I don't sleep more than 2 hours at best.
That's my biggest issue as well. When DS wakes up to nurse, I rarely go back to sleep right away..it takes me time...so when he wakes up all night long I feel like I never sleep. We cosleep, which helps I'm sure, but it's starting to get so frustrating. I am going to try and get DS on a better schedule to see if that helps with the nighttime battle of fighting sleep. Right now we don't have much of one, which I know isn't good for him, but for the past 7 weeks I've felt so sick and yuck, that battling bedtime wasn't worth it.
Let me know how the weaning goes for you! I'm going to work with DS this week with nursing at bedtime, but not to sleep and then next week my mom is going to take him for a night, then my MIL the next night. I hate that I am basically going to do this cold turkey, but I don't really see any other way to do it and keeping my sanity. My sister always told me that I should nurse as long as both baby and mama are happy.. when one or both isn't, it's time to stop! So I don't feel too guilty. Plus, DS is 22 months old..I am glad I made it this far!

#25 of 69 Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 PM

Nothing much has changed over here. DS has been night weaned for a long time and still nurses 3-4x during the day.

Adriana, mommy to Klarity 9/06 and Grayam 6/08 and Zephyr homebirth.jpgMay 8, 2011
#26 of 69 Old 11-01-2010, 09:48 AM

Well, after my last post, I worked hard on getting DS to sleep with just a brief nursing session, then letting him settle on his own. My milk completely dried up so that made it a lot easier. The following week, I got him to start going to sleep without nursing. So, for a week now he's not nursed. I think we're done! I'm happy but a little sad. It was getting so frustrating, and I don't want to tandem nurse, so it's going to be fine, but it's just so different and going to take some getting used to! Good thing is though he's sleeping at least 8 hours straight without waking for a drink or a snack(he's got a high metabolism!), and he seems to be sleeping better, so that's good.

#27 of 69 Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 AM

I decided to stop nursing DD first thing in the morning, and she was already STTN on her own. She has stopped asking for it before bedtime, but we still nurse at naptime. Her poops are still a little 'soft' but hardening up now that we are nursing less. So I definitely think my milk is changing. It is not that mustard color anymore, either. In general, she doesn't ask for nursing, and is happier just to snuggle with DH or myself.

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May
#28 of 69 Old 11-01-2010, 11:05 AM

I was down to just wake up, occassional nap and bedtime when I became preggo. My DD was 3yrs old so I was ready for weaning. I changed our morning routine slowly to eliminate the wake up nursing and naps are now mostly non-existent. We still do a tiny session at bedtime but I tell her - only one minute. My supply is pretty much nonexistent and I'm okay with that. She is slowly learning to cuddle and put her head on my chest. She has had moments of anger but I try and not take it personal. If I hadn't become preggo I wouldn't have pushed the weaning. When the new baby arrives I'll do as I did with my older DD, offer the 3yr old "mommy milk" in a sippy cup. I would pump and give it to my older DD. She would maybe take a few sips and that would end her need to see if I would share.
#29 of 69 Old 11-02-2010, 09:29 AM

Wow I've really noticed a huge drop in supply over the last week. Feels like it completely tanked almost over night. On one hand DD is being really accepting of when I agree to nurse her but just count to 5 on each side. It's funny how she's so insistent to nurse but pops off with no complaint whatsoever like she could really take it or leave it.
Night nursing has cut down some too but I'm still REALLY struggling with the insomnia so even a brief waking often has me up for the rest of the night. I think I'd still really like to night wean but I'm kind of playing it by ear for now as for the time being she's doing it less.

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
#30 of 69 Old 11-02-2010, 06:41 PM

DD doesnt seem to have slowed down at all. I dont know how much she is getting out of there by now but I'm guessing not a lot. She has been ill so she really wanted to hang off my boobs yesterday, my nips are killing me today. I suppose a combo of a lazy toddler latch plus sensetive boobs/nips will do that.

Does anyone know when the colustrum comes in? I was thinking after 25 weeks. I just started wondering because DD's poop was runnier and more breastmilk poo coloured the other day. I'm really doubting that she's getting so much to do that so I'm wondering what's up.

****5****10***15****20****25****30****35 ****40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page