Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No testing here.
#32 of 44 Old 10-27-2010, 04:29 AM

I am not doing any of them. All it will cause is excess worry.

heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
#33 of 44 Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 AM

The 'false positive' rate for the 1st trimester screen (u/s and bloodwork combined) is 3%. When people talk about 'high false positive rates' they don't seem to understand what the test is for. The test is a screen and gives you likelyhood of the birth defect. The screenings ability to detect the 'likelihood' is 97% accurate. But it is given to you as a 'risk'.

So for me, the risk of DS based on my age is about 1 in 300. If the test showed an increased risk then maybe my results would come back as 1 in 100. People freak out and say 'IT'S POSITIVE' but that's not what the result means. It means that your risk was determined as being higher than your age would indicate. But you still have a 99% chance of everything being OK.

Anyway. We did the tests and they showed my risk of DS and other Trisomy's to be significanly decreased.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#34 of 44 Old 10-27-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_McG View Post
Anyway. We did the tests and they showed my risk of DS and other Trisomy's to be significanly decreased.
me too, so far.

i'm having the full integrated screening. i had the NT done yesterday. i met with the genetic counselor before the ultrasound who told me my general risk based on my age and the options available to me. i declined an amnio (unless the future results give me concern).

my age put my risk for DS at 1/75 (not sure what it was for Trisomy 18). after the 1st trimester combined screening, my risk for DS is 1/360 and for Trisomy 18 is 1/31,000. so, i feel pretty good about those numbers. will see what the second trimester results bring.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#35 of 44 Old 10-27-2010, 07:45 PM

Got my results today. My risk for Down syndrome went from 1 in 16 (I'm 46 yo) to 1 in 217. I'm not out of the woods yet and have to meet with the genetic counselor, but my husband says if I'm okay with not having amnio so is he. My risk for Trisomy 13/18 went from 1 in 29 to 1 in 561! That is such a relief because those really terrify me.

Roslyn (46) Whitney (45) Luke (5/04) (boy due 5/11) 
#36 of 44 Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roslyn View Post
Got my results today. My risk for Down syndrome went from 1 in 16 (I'm 46 yo) to 1 in 217. I'm not out of the woods yet and have to meet with the genetic counselor, but my husband says if I'm okay with not having amnio so is he. My risk for Trisomy 13/18 went from 1 in 29 to 1 in 561! That is such a relief because those really terrify me.
That is really great!

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#37 of 44 Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 PM

i've had a dating scan and last got my bloods done which were for blood type, check for antibodies, check iron levels, and check immunity to rubella and that i don't have anything like hiv etc i turned down the down syndrome blood tests as like you i wouldn't terminate either.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#38 of 44 Old 10-27-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysmile View Post
I can't believe that someone would advice terminating without CVS or amnio confirmation. That is absolutely insane.
It happened to me and I have read similar stories online. I guess when the measurement is off the charts abnormal they want to spare the mother further pain and wait, since earlier abortions are safer to the mom. I was told by a geneticist and a high risk OB to consider aborting without testing further.
#39 of 44 Old 10-28-2010, 03:54 PM
tzs

nope.
giving me some "probability" would only cause stress.
i will do the 20 week scan just because i'm on a class C prescription which has a small percentage of heart defects as a side effect. i'd want them to be ready. if they need to know about downs they can look then.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#40 of 44 Old 10-28-2010, 04:12 PM

I declined the first trimester screening because the triple screen with my last pregnancy led to all this hysteria. I did the amnio, baby was fine but still they wanted to treat me as high risk. I left the office and had a homebirth

With this pregnancy I flat out refused the screening and went directly to a CVS- some may say invasive but I wanted to know trisomy status and did not want to have any "screenings". I am 40 and pretty much the stats are so against me that it would only have to be off by a fraction to set off alarm bells that I am high risk for everything.
#41 of 44 Old 10-28-2010, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post
nope.
giving me some "probability" would only cause stress.
i will do the 20 week scan just because i'm on a class C prescription which has a small percentage of heart defects as a side effect. i'd want them to be ready. if they need to know about downs they can look then.
I'm on a Class D drug that increases the risk of heart defects--from 1% (normal population) to 1.5-2%. I was on the same medication with my son (it was Class C then, go figure LOL), and while I don't buy into the, "I did this with one child and he was fine, so it's totally ok," it did make me feel a bit better about being on it again. I had a level 2 ultrasound (and maybe a fetal echo? I'm not sure...) with him when I was 33-34 weeks and all was well. He had a heart murmur at birth they thought, and it was gone by 2 months (we saw a pediatric cardiologist). I'm not sure if I'll have another ultrasound beyond the 20 week one with this pregnancy or not. I just plan to discuss it with my midwife at a later point.

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

#42 of 44 Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMamaBeth View Post
I'm on a Class D drug that increases the risk of heart defects--from 1% (normal population) to 1.5-2%. I was on the same medication with my son (it was Class C then, go figure LOL), and while I don't buy into the, "I did this with one child and he was fine, so it's totally ok," it did make me feel a bit better about being on it again. I had a level 2 ultrasound (and maybe a fetal echo? I'm not sure...) with him when I was 33-34 weeks and all was well. He had a heart murmur at birth they thought, and it was gone by 2 months (we saw a pediatric cardiologist). I'm not sure if I'll have another ultrasound beyond the 20 week one with this pregnancy or not. I just plan to discuss it with my midwife at a later point.
it's SO good to know that i'm not the only one out there!
also interesting that the increased risk can be so minute. wowzers.
thanks for posting.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#43 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post
I definitely don't think 29 is old, but then I still feel pretty young at 40, lol.
Hey, I'm with you! I've been given so much slack from certain family members about beign 40 and preggo. I guess I just feel so much younger. I def understand the risks but I am a very healthy person.
#44 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 01:04 PM

I waived screenings and my son was born with spina bifida. I would absolutely make the same decision again in a heartbeat. If we had known, I might have been sent to the hospital for a C-section neither of us needed and we might have believed all the garbage the doctors said about him not being able to walk or pee. I think because his birth defect was a surprise, we didn't have pre-conceived notions about his level of function and were more open to letting him show us what he could do. It turns out that his case has been extraordinarily mild and if we had known from a screening that he had spina bifida, we would have been told the worse case scenario and been stressing unnecessarily for half the pregnancy.

Mom to Lovebug 2/10 and wife to DH.
Thrilled to debut our beautiful 2011 breastfeeding calendar! www.beautyofmothering.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page