12 week Appointment :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-27-2010, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my 12 week appointment today. We heard the heartbeat It was 160bpm!

I had a pap done, and had a little bit of brown CM afterwords, but they said it was normal and it is gone now.

I did find out that I am B- and so at 28 weeks I need a shot, anyone had that before?

heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
#2 of 23 Old 10-27-2010, 11:01 AM

Personally I wouldn't get the shot unless you have some severe trauma to your uterus during pregnancy. You can have babies blood type tested within 72 hours of the birth and if it is + then you'd receive a shot then if you need.

Also, you only might need a shot I think if your husband/partner has a + blood type. Double check but I'm pretty sure.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#3 of 23 Old 10-27-2010, 11:48 AM

Yeah - the rhogam shot is only important if your husband is a positive blood type.

Your rh factor won't cause problems with this pregnancy, and won't affect your ability to nurse or anything like that - the issue comes if your baby inherits its' father's blood type, and then if your blood and the baby's ever mixes (like during a traumatic birth, or a c-section). Only 15 ml of the baby's blood needs to mix with the mother's in order to sensitize her. This causes your blood to produce antibodies that will, next time you become pregnant with an Rh+ baby, begin attacking the fetus. It can cause you to miscarry, or cause less serious issues like anemia, etc.

I'm probably not explaining this terribly well... What to Expect actually has a pretty decent article on the topic, though it doesn't really touch on all the issues. As Dayiscoming said, you can usually just get the shot within 72 hours of the baby's birth.

So first off, check the father's blood type - if he's a negative blood type, there are no issues. If you have certain tests (such as amniocentesis or cvs), you will want to get the shot during pregnancy - these tests carry a risk of blood supplies mixing, and you do need the rhogam shot within a certain time frame of that happening. If you don't get those tests, then you can hold off until after birth - or possibly not get it at all.

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#4 of 23 Old 10-27-2010, 02:18 PM

congrats! hearing the heartbeat for the first time is the best.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#5 of 23 Old 10-27-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys

Yeah, I know what will happen if I don't get the shot, but if I DO get the shot at 28 weeks, are there any negative side effects to the baby??

#6 of 23 Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 PM

Hey! I am RH negative as well and have always gotten the shot during pregnancy and after when I needed it. My husband has positive blood.

I just recently read a reasearch paper on the shot, the risks associated with it and with not getting it during the pregnancy (as well as after). It was written and researched by a Christian midwife. Anyway, after reading it, I felt like getting the shot during pregnancy was still a really good idea, and that the risks involved are so very very low as to be almost non existant. The only con is you get the shot in your hip and it hurts like a shot.

You could not get it during pregnancy, but I still wouldn't take the chance, Once you're sensitized, you're sensitized for life, and it can be really ugly for any subsequent babies with positive blood.

Just my !
#7 of 23 Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingsparklz View Post
Hey! I am RH negative as well and have always gotten the shot during pregnancy and after when I needed it. My husband has positive blood.

I just recently read a reasearch paper on the shot, the risks associated with it and with not getting it during the pregnancy (as well as after). It was written and researched by a Christian midwife. Anyway, after reading it, I felt like getting the shot during pregnancy was still a really good idea, and that the risks involved are so very very low as to be almost non existant. The only con is you get the shot in your hip and it hurts like a shot.

You could not get it during pregnancy, but I still wouldn't take the chance, Once you're sensitized, you're sensitized for life, and it can be really ugly for any subsequent babies with positive blood.

Just my !

I agree with you. I just don't think I would feel comfortable not getting it. The risk to future babies scares me. And I am usually not one for shots or anything during pregnancy. I dont even want an IV when I give birth.

#8 of 23 Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 PM

yay for hearing heartbeats!

as for the rhogam shot, i don't know what i would do in your shoes. i would definitely have my partners blood tested first because as a pp said, if he is negative too, then your baby will be neg. here's yet another article written on the topic. you have to do what you feel most comfortable with and you need to hear the pros and cons to make an informed decision.
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.c...ofit-ploy.html

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

#9 of 23 Old 10-27-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Need Coffee View Post
I agree with you. I just don't think I would feel comfortable not getting it. The risk to future babies scares me. And I am usually not one for shots or anything during pregnancy. I dont even want an IV when I give birth.

Just so you know, too, the paper I read had all kind of statistics. The ones that convinced me were the ones concerning sensitization late in the pregnancy - pretty high figures. This was for women who did not get the shot. The article was so well written and I felt from an unbiased point of view.

#10 of 23 Old 10-28-2010, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Gah, now I keep reading all this stuff and it is scaring me

I need someone who has had the shot to give me advice, please.

#11 of 23 Old 10-28-2010, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingsparklz View Post

Just my !

So you have had the shot in all 4 pregnancies and all was fine?

#12 of 23 Old 10-28-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Need Coffee View Post
So you have had the shot in all 4 pregnancies and all was fine?
Oh yes yes absolutely. Only one of my children has had positive blood, so I only had it once after pregnancy, but I did have it during all four times and neither I nor my children have had any ill affects. Sorry I didn't make that clear!
#13 of 23 Old 10-29-2010, 02:29 AM

I am on baby #3 and have had the RhoGam shots with all 3 pregnancies. With DD1, I had it at 28 weeks and then after her birth and with DD2 I had it at 19 weeks (following an amnio- as risk of blood mixing) and can't remember if I had it again at 28 weeks. I know I had it after her birth. I had a CVS last week and then got the shot for this birth. My DH is RH+ and both girls have also been +. I am very much against vax'ing and the like but unless you are 100% sure this is your last child, best to get the shot. My hb midwife was very much okay with it.
#14 of 23 Old 10-30-2010, 01:34 PM

Hi,

I had the shot during my pregnancy with my first (this was in the UK where it was presented as the norm and I wasn't really given any info on downsides) but didn't need it after the birth as baby was Rh-.

During my 2nd pregnancy (in the states, midwife provided loads of info for and against) I chose not to have the shot during the pregnancy but did have it immediately after the birth (we didn't bother checking the baby's blood).

My reasoning was this: I wasn't worried about the safety of the shot for me (the fact that it was a blood product etc). I would have had the shot during the pregnancy had any trauma, bleeding or invasive testing taken place that would make sensitization a possibility. I was pretty convinced by the evidence that it would be very unlikely for sensitization to occur without any of these events occuring or without us knowing that a risk had been encountered. My midwife tested my blood regularly for any signs that antibodies had been created. The reason I chose not to have the shot just to be on the safe side, was that it seemed, from what I read, that very little follow-up research had been done on mothers and babies given the shot during pregnancy since it had become standard procedure. It just seemed to be one of those blank sheets in medical practice/research. The kind of things that I was worried about (or had seen questioned) was, would there be any risk to the fertility of a baby girl in later life, who's mother had had the rhogam shot during her pregnancy? We knew we were having a girl. I should make it clear, there isn't any evidence to suggest this is the case, just no evidence either way as they have done no significant follow-up studies on this group of people. This type of total absence of medical research/follow-up really scares me (and surprises me, in terms of how widespread it seems to be in these types of issues). I was convinced (as convinced as one can ever be) that the risks if i tested my blood regularly, had no trauma or bleeding and had the shot immediately after birth, were satisfactorily minimal.

This pregnancy I'm thinking I will do the same.
#15 of 23 Old 10-30-2010, 04:54 PM

I personally don't trust any sort of vaccines or shots or any of the sort. And unless I have some severe trauma or something during the pregnancy or the birth - I don't intend to get the shot. I've looked at the research and I feel most confident in this personally. I may get a couple eldon cards and check baby's blood type though. Do what feels right to you but I really don't think the one during pregnancy is very useful unless there's a serious trauma.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#16 of 23 Old 10-30-2010, 05:56 PM

I have had the shot with both of my pregnancies with no problems whatsoever.
#17 of 23 Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 PM

I wouldn't get the shot if I were in your shoes, mainly because of the mercury (thimerasol) contained in the rhogam shot. My son has autism and I know a few moms who have kids with autism who feel there is a direct link between the fact that they got that shot during pregnancy and that their child ended up with autism. Just something to consider.

mommy to DS (5/29/05) and DD (3/21/07) and DD #2 (5/3/11)
#18 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. Fujbeck, did you get the shot during pregnancy?

For those of you who have gotten the shot, did your child have autism?

#19 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 AM

No autism here.
#20 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 PM

I got the shot with both my pregnancies- no autism. My sister didn't get the shot and both her boys have some type of sensory integration/neurological issues so who is to really know.
#21 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 02:03 PM

congrats on hearing the heart beat

i had my appt yesterday and got to hear the beat beat as well.

i am also - and will need to rhogram shot, at 28 weeks i get a shot in my hip, no big deal, and got it with both of my boys, and so far they have always had my same blood type. so i never needed the shot after they were born.

and both of my boys r 100% totally healthy, so i will also be getting the shot this time too.

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
#22 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM

Articles of potential interest...
http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-pregn...tal-rhogam.htm
http://www.nccn.net/~wwithin/rhogam.htm

There's more out there if you look.

#23 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post
Hey, that's my article

I have also written more in the article on my site: Rh- What Does it Mean to You

As far as personal experience goes, I have not gotten Rhogam during any of my pregnancies. I have gotten it after 3 of my pregnancies because those babies were all Rh+. My fourth child is Rh- so I didn't need to get it after his birth.

With this baby I plan to have a blood test done on me that determines baby's blood type so I will know in advance if he/she is + or - ...that way I can plan for after delivery. I will not have it during pregnancy, however, unless there is some trauma or reason for me to feel that I should get it.

Just info, I am almost 100% certain that Rhogam is now mercury-free (and has been for several years). BayRho, another brand name is also mercury free. Both are still, of course, human blood products.

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page