Prenatal Yoga anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-04-2010, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to my 2nd prenatal yoga class tonight. It was heavenly. I was part of a prenatal yoga class with DD1 but not with DD2 and regretted it. This is a very small group compared to the huge group with DD1 but still.. the relaxation and stretching and being around other preggo ladies is really great.

Does anyone else have plans to begin yoga? Or, do you have a fave DVD? I had one that I used with DD2 but can't remember the name of it.

This session I'm in now only goes another few weeks but then I'm not sure they will run it as they require a minimum of 5 and a lot of the women are in the 3rd tri. If they don't I will look into another place but it's later at night and a further drive. This studio is 1.5 miles from my house so I really hope it starts up again.
#2 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 12:14 AM

i'd love to join the class at my obgyn's...but it's 35 minutes away.

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#3 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 02:04 AM

don't think i can afford classes this time around, but i do have a dvd i could use.

and i think it recommends starting it at 14 weeks. what perfect timing. thanks for the reminder.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#4 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 04:17 AM

I started last week, go for the second lesson today .

****5****10***15****20****25****30****35 ****40
#5 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluga View Post
I started last week, go for the second lesson today .
Great, how was your lesson? Do you take it through a hospital or an actual yoga studio?
#6 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Hi ladies!

I'm actually a yoga teacher... so I'm continuing my yoga practice rather than doing specific prenatal classes. I practice a pretty rigorous form of yoga - Bikram - the hot one (this would not be safe to start during pregnancy!) I also started an Iyengar class last night. I loves my yoga!!

However, prenatal is very appropriate for those who are not heavy into yoga pre-pregnancy. It's not the time to start anything new but prenatal is geared toward all levels of expectant moms even total beginners.

Good luck ladies and if you have any yoga related questions private message me...

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#7 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 06:09 PM

I was hoping to start prenatal yoga tomorrow but i've come down with one hell of a cold so i'm hoping to start next wednesday now.

I didn't get to do it with my DD because of work and my commute but now that I'm a SAHM and she's in preschool it will be a lot easier for me to go.
#8 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaconda View Post
Good luck ladies and if you have any yoga related questions private message me...
thanks! i just might do that.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#9 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMT View Post
Great, how was your lesson? Do you take it through a hospital or an actual yoga studio?

I ended up not going since I was too tired after being out with DD all day and had stuff that needed to be done. That one lesson I did go to last week was quite nice and felt more intense than I was expecting it to be. It'll probably be great for building strength for birthing. I go at a yoga studio, I didnt know hospitals offered classes (they sure dont in here).

****5****10***15****20****25****30****35 ****40
#10 of 15 Old 11-24-2010, 11:56 AM

I bought a prenatal Yoga DVD, but have not been able to use it yet due to boxes in the middle of the floor (moving crap) When we get into the new house this week I'm gonna start right up on it, though. We have a nice, big living room that will be yoga friendly :D

This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/Prenatal-Yoga-Shiva-Rea/dp/B0000BYNMH/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1290628531&sr=8-3

#11 of 15 Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 AM

I used "The Method" prenatal series when I was pregnant with Traftyn and I absolutely loved it..I felt so connected to the babe and so empowered.  Some of the reviews said that the instructer was a bit "out there" and too "New-agey" but it seemed to be right up my alley.  Unfortunately that VHS broke, so I just purchased a couple new prenatal work out dvds.

One is called MommyShape and includes yoga, dance, and strength training..and the other dvd I purchased used off of amazon and is a prenatal bellydancing video.

I'm excited to start them (well, alternate them probably depending on my mood), but I haven't mustered up the motivation to do so.  I still seem so tired and can't drag myself out of bed earlier to try them out, and then by the time evening comes I'm just exhausted again.

Perhaps I need to revamp my diet??..or perhaps the work outs would help give me some increased stamina??

#12 of 15 Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 AM

no suggestions for motivation, i'm severely lacking there as well, but i'd love to hear your review once you start doing these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllOne430 View Post

I used "The Method" prenatal series when I was pregnant with Traftyn and I absolutely loved it..I felt so connected to the babe and so empowered.  Some of the reviews said that the instructer was a bit "out there" and too "New-agey" but it seemed to be right up my alley.  Unfortunately that VHS broke, so I just purchased a couple new prenatal work out dvds.

One is called MommyShape and includes yoga, dance, and strength training..and the other dvd I purchased used off of amazon and is a prenatal bellydancing video.

I'm excited to start them (well, alternate them probably depending on my mood), but I haven't mustered up the motivation to do so.  I still seem so tired and can't drag myself out of bed earlier to try them out, and then by the time evening comes I'm just exhausted again.

Perhaps I need to revamp my diet??..or perhaps the work outs would help give me some increased stamina??

Lisa mama to Adrian born 3/09 by unnecessarean
#2 is coming in May 2011! planning for a home vbac.gif
#13 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 AM

Regarding motivation...

I'm a yoga teacher and I don't do yoga every day.  I don't do it as much as I wish I did.  But EVERY time I do it I feel 50-100% better than when I started.  Especially when it comes to doing gentle yoga connecting with baby time.

You don't need energy to get started - it will GIVE you energy.  It's such a gift.

So - my suggestion is to clear a time.  Get hubby or a friend to take kids if you have them for two hours on a weekend or whenever it works for you.  

Take a few minutes, have a cup of tea, look out the window.  Set yourself up in a quiet space and do a video if you have it.  No negative self-talk about what you can/can't do.  Celebrate what you can do, leave the rest.

Take a nice long savasana (that's lying down at the end) to let your body absorb what you've done.  Turn off the tape when it comes to that part and just bliss out for five full minutes.

Resurface, pull on some shoes, and take a short 20 minute walk and come back home, rejuvenated.  I'd probably have another cup of tea or a hearty healthy meal, taking time to enjoy each bite.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

CHEAP EASY YOGA DATE with yourself and for the baby.

After you do it once, you'll be much more inclined to find a little time to do it again.  BECAUSE YOU'LL FEEL AMAZING!!

Rock on mamas!

#14 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 08:06 AM

Wow Anna..after reading this post I am not only motivated but INSPIRED to make the time to do some yoga!!  Thanks mama luxlove.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaconda View Post

Regarding motivation...

I'm a yoga teacher and I don't do yoga every day.  I don't do it as much as I wish I did.  But EVERY time I do it I feel 50-100% better than when I started.  Especially when it comes to doing gentle yoga connecting with baby time.

You don't need energy to get started - it will GIVE you energy.  It's such a gift.

So - my suggestion is to clear a time.  Get hubby or a friend to take kids if you have them for two hours on a weekend or whenever it works for you.  

Take a few minutes, have a cup of tea, look out the window.  Set yourself up in a quiet space and do a video if you have it.  No negative self-talk about what you can/can't do.  Celebrate what you can do, leave the rest.

Take a nice long savasana (that's lying down at the end) to let your body absorb what you've done.  Turn off the tape when it comes to that part and just bliss out for five full minutes.

Resurface, pull on some shoes, and take a short 20 minute walk and come back home, rejuvenated.  I'd probably have another cup of tea or a hearty healthy meal, taking time to enjoy each bite.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

CHEAP EASY YOGA DATE with yourself and for the baby.

After you do it once, you'll be much more inclined to find a little time to do it again.  BECAUSE YOU'LL FEEL AMAZING!!

Rock on mamas!

#15 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 10:30 AM

also I just got a prenatal yoga book if anyone can't get dvds or get to a class PM me and I'll scan you a few pages.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page