Having a Cold while your pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies, I got a question, does anyone have any home remedies to get rid of a cold? It started on Sunday night and usually when I have a cold I would be taking advil sinus and cold and it works like a charm. But since I am pregnant I cannot take advil :-(. So if you have your own way of getting rid of a cold...please share.

Thanks a bunch

Wife to DH Carm and expecting child  # 1 May 19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 AM

I just want to commiserate... I have a cold that's lasting longer than it usually does and just plain sucks more cause I'm trying not to take anything...  so I hear you and I'm so sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have taken some acetominophen for the sore throat and used throat spray (chloroseptic).

I got a sinus headache and stuffiness but am kind of toughing that stuff out.

So I guess... there's no way I see to make it go away.  I have however tried a home remedy that's been recommended to me a few times.  Instead of drinking OJ or taking vitamin C pills, I'm trying to use lots of natural food sources for vitamins - lots of grapefruits, pepper and berries.

Also there is a ton of vit. c in lemon rind (the white stuff between the fruit and the peel.  A remedy suggested to me is to blend a 1/4 lemon peel (i save lemons I use for cooking in the freezer for this purpose) blended iwth 1c blueberries and sweetened with grape juice because the lemon is very bitter.  It's a supershot of vitamin c and you take 1/2 cup of that every few hours.

But... I don't know if it will make the cold symptoms disappear... they're like the last thing to go.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 AM

Yeah - there isn't much of a way to get rid of it... but you can do a few things to feel better.  I down Emergen-C like it's nobody's business when I'm sick, or drink cranberry juice...  If I have a sore throat, I drink "Throat Coat" tea by Traditional Medicines.  I usually put two tea bags into my mug, and seriously - it numbs my throat so nicely...  it feels awesome.  I'd just double check the ingredient list to make sure all the herbs, etc. are pregnancy safe, but I'd bet it is. 

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 AM

I have the worst cold ever right now. I've had it for over a week now with no signs of letting up. Im actually going to head down to the local clinic today just to make sure it hasn't turned into an infection of some sort. 

Old 11-10-2010, 12:00 PM

I megadose on Vitamin D when I have a cold.  You might consider atleast upping your D dose.

You can also up your C, take it throughout the day, not in one dose.  In always super hesitant to recommend how much to take since everyone reacts to C differently but my midwife recommends up to 3 grams over the course of the day when you get a cold.

Echinacea is good too. 

I always make a tea of lemon juice, 1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne and a squirt of honey when Im sick and it really helps to get the mucus moving and get the congestion out of my head.

Hope you feel better soon.  I had a horrible cold during prime time morning sickness and it was horrible!

Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

do a search on google for homeopathic cold remedies for pregnant women...there are lots of good ideas!!

oh, also...you can buy this amazing wonder medicine called Oscillococcinum ... it's safe to use while pregnant but i would still double check with a doctor or pharmacist before you take it

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

Old 11-11-2010, 06:25 AM

I would feel safest taking homeopathics, up my vitamin C and D and drink plenty of fluids and rest as much as you can. I am battling something right now..lots of sinus congestion, had a sore throat, and I've been taking homeopathics to help the symptoms. But taking 5000 mg of Vit D/day can help lessen symptoms and prevent colds in the first place. It's worked for me so far!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 AM

BEING SICK WHILE PREGNANT SUCKS!!!

I just wanted to say that.  It lasts forever!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Ya I agree with you Annaconda! I can't take this anymore...I seem to be getting worse then better so I am going to try and see my doctor today.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:27 PM

Mine is "just a cold" but if the LO wasn't using my immune system... I'd so be better by now.  I'm not used to feeling the same amount of sick for days on end which is exactly what's happening.  And I can't snag 3 hrs of sleep to save my life - between the peeing the coughing and the congestion.

We're having friends up with their 7 month old this weekend and there's been talk of staying in a motel b/c of germs... of course I started it....  I called and told mama I was sick.  I'm really hoping to be better - just took some Vit C and D second time today.

Sorry but any "motel" is going to be way germier than my house smile.gif

Old 11-11-2010, 01:21 PM

DDCC here.

I have to say that I learned that Breathe Right Nose trips are the best for getting a decent night's sleep while you are congested.  That's the most miserable thing about a cold, I think, is not being able to sleep at night.  I use them while nursing too because they are completely non chemical.  Yay!  I hope that helps someone!  If you're really miserable or brave you can wear them during the day too. smile.gif

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

Old 11-11-2010, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

i don't think that i have a cold but since conception pretty much i have felt just kind of rotten, super stuffed up and congested. it's getting better i think but i still blow my nose a lot...

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

Old 11-11-2010, 03:45 PM

being sick while pregnant sucks!!

if you're having a lot of congestion a neti pot is great for cleaning out those sinuses!  and i eat a lot of garlic when i'm sick.

hope you feel better soon!

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

Old 11-11-2010, 05:48 PM

I've had a cold for a month.  Otherwise known as Pregnancy Rhinitis.  I throw up from it too because I have throat congestion that leads to a gagging reflex that leads to puking.  It's killing me.  Sometimes I wake up with no voice.  Not to mention I go through a million tissues a day. 

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:24 AM

Oh no! That sounds awful. Tomorrow will be a week for me of a real serious sleep sucking cold. I did use the nasal strips last night that was good. I'm home from work to try to SLEEP for at least one full 3hr stretch. I need some REM sleep!
I think mine is cycleing through... its finally in the chest. Throat head chest is my usual bit it never takes this long
So sort you've been at this a month.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post

I've had a cold for a month.  Otherwise known as Pregnancy Rhinitis.  I throw up from it too because I have throat congestion that leads to a gagging reflex that leads to puking.  It's killing me.  Sometimes I wake up with no voice.  Not to mention I go through a million tissues a day. 

OhmyWord!  That is horrible.  I just couldnt read that and not tell you how totally unfair that is to have a cold for that long.  Said a prayer for you.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:14 AM

Ugh- I've had two colds in one week...really, I felt fine for a few days in between;) But struggling with this most recent one with coughs keeping me up (literally) all night...thanks for the suggestions! (and thank goodness for Throat Coat;)

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

User Tag List