Exercise Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2010, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You guys rock!!!

I don't know a prenatal DVD unfortunately.

I've been keeping up yoga and swimming though a little less than "ideal" which is probably just that... an ideal.

I did inspire DH to get back into the gym!!

Congrats to all :)

Oh, and, I'm taking the night off.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 06:31 AM

Wow.  HUGE Kuddos to all those mommas running & lifting weights in the gym!

I can finally say that my iron is back where it should be & I can't believe the difference.  I finally feel like myself & have been eeking in little mini sessions this week where ever I can & though not much, it's a start & I feel great for it.  I've gone back to walking at night after DD goes to bed (it's been -20c with the windchill here @ night), doing sets squats or lunges randomly through the evening & then trying to make sure to throw in some push ups or crunches.  As I said, it's not much but until the Christmas rush is over I'm happy just to be re-introducing it.

I'll definitely have to check out that Denise Austin dvd as I could use some more focused cardio for sure.  As far as yoga & pilates go, I wonder if you necessarily need a prenatal one specifically?  There are maybe some nice visualisations to learn & a few moves that might need to be modified but I would think that up until your 3rd trimester you might be ok with a regular one.  Huh, I'll have to ask a friend who's an instructor about any specific moves to avoid.  (I know last time I just didn't lay on my back towards the end & used lots of pillows to modify & support myself to make things more relaxing)

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
Old 12-16-2010, 10:15 AM

Just dusted off an old tae bo tape in honor of this thread - it's perfect - can do it at home, make the moves a little smaller so I'm not bouncing all over the place, modify a little...  it was fun.  Thanks for the inspiration.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:21 AM

I just wanted to check in & see how everyone is doing now that Christmas is over.  I don't know about you but I find I'm able to find just a little more time & energy now so my lunchtime walks have resumed & I've taken out a bunch of new videos from my library.

Hopefully I'll give them a try this weekend & will post some reviews.  I've got:

-Prenatal yoga, with Shiva Rea 

-Erin O'Brien's prenatal fitness fix 

-Fitmama prenatal workout 

-Stott Pilates Prenatal workout

I did the yoga video last night & it was very relaxing.  If you are into a gentle Hatha yoga type video then this one really wasn't bad.  It gave some really good stretches for the hips, hamstrings, back & side ribs.  It was about an hour in total & needed very little in terms of extra equipment (kitchen chair, strap, pillow & folded blanket).  I had read some reviews on Amazon that found the voice over annoying but it didn’t really bother me.  What was nice was that they had 3 different models, one for each trimester so they demonstrated all of the different modifications nicely.

I ended up borrowing one of the Stott Pilates videos at the same time but I got the Prenatal Edge one by accident not realising that it required the use of an “Edge” prop to do the video.  I made do with the side of a coffee table but overall was pretty disappointed in the workout.  It was less than 20 mins long with no extras or add ons to make it longer.  I’m hoping the other prenatal one will be a little more intensive as this one really only have 4-5 easy reps of each exercise & barely did more than warm up each major muscle group - (& that was for a relatively novice exerciser like me.)

Sooo..  hopefully I’ll have more info on the other 3 next week!  Keep me posted mammas, have you found any that you’ve really liked?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Hi ladies, still trudging away on the treadmill 3 days a week.  Bow flex 3 days a week and  Ive been doing these exercises daily

http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php?do=view&member_id=325&video_id=8190

I tried my cardio hula and my hips are just not digging it and my lower back yoga video just doesnt have enough exercises I can still do. (lot are stomach lying)

so I ordered this

http://www.amazon.com/MommyShape-Prenatal-Complete-DVD-Sculpt/dp/B002PNLI38/ref=sr_1_21?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1294429353&sr=1-21

Ill let you know.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:52 PM

I bought the video "Perfect Pregnancy Workout" and really like it for some upper and lower body strength/flexibility training.  It's definitely not a cardio workout so if anyone has a pregnancy workout that also has a cardio element I'd be interested.  I must say that the DVD has really helped (along with chiro adjustments) some serious hip pain I was having.  I am doing it about 2-3 times a week, prenatal yoga once a week and still walking about 2-2.5 miles 7 days a week.  It has been a little tricky walking with snow/ice.  It's pretty easy to fall and I have been lucky the few times I fell to break my fall with my arms or butt ;-)  I have the Prenatal Yoga DVD with Shiva from my last pregnancy so have to go hunt for it in our basement archives.  The 2 weeks of hip pain and the lack of it after some focused exercise makes me want to continue with a regimen.  For me the difficulty is just finding the time with 2 kids, work and the household.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 AM

I also got the perfect pregnancy workout... it came today!  Haven't tried it yet.

I'm feeling great physically - like I can feel creakiness in my hips but no real pain.  I know my bikram practice is saving my butt (literally!)  Heading to the pool today to swim.  I'm recommitting to doing something every day (or maybe 6 out of 7...) as December was kind of droopy in terms of exercise.  My main form of exercise other than the yoga was lifting xmas cookies to my mouth.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 AM

I had been just playing ultimate frisbee once or twice a week, and decided to try and step it up a bit since I did so much more when pregnant with z, which I think helped me w/ the long labor at the end. The mr. doesn't want me biking until its less icy, so I started running this past weekend.

just a little under 4mi both sat and sun, and then some yoga afterwards, it felt great! yesterday I took off (though I did move a lot of furniture) and today I'm either going to run or play frisbee depending on time.

I have been doing xc skiing too when I can (when there is snow!) which has been fun. We went out 3x one week during xmas break, 2x with Z on my back, and then 1x just us where we went much further. We are getting snow again tomorrow, so hopefully will do that again this weekend smile.gif

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM

I am still doing my boot camp class.  We recently had our workout of the month: 5 rounds of: Frog jumps down and back (the length of the gym) once, 10 squats to press (45lb plate), 10 squat jumps, and then 10 clapper pushups. You had to do all 5 rounds for time. I finished in 19 minutes, 24 seconds - best in the class!  It felt amazing!!

I am still running.  My mileage is way down, but I'm still going at it.  I have a 5K on Feb. 13th.  I'm doing a lot more running on a treadmill due to weather, but I hope to get back outside in a couple weeks.

I recently added water aerobics to my routine, and it has been great!  It's nice to get the pressure off my joints.

DD#1 dust.gif (May '08); new sweet baby girl (May '11) vbac.gif
Old 01-24-2011, 06:04 AM

I tried the Stott Pilates 10 Minute Prenatal workout video on Friday & it was actually a really good workout!!  Tonnes & tonnes of squats & lunges (or so it felt to my out of shape quads & hamstrings) so holy hannah did I feel that one yesterday.  It was a 50 min video broken up into 10 min mix & match segments.  I liked that it only req'd a mat, 1-3lb weights & a couple of pillows so it was easy to do with very little equipment at home.  My only critisisms really were that I found it didn't allow enough time/repetition of the stretches so I was often pausing the video to hold my stretches longer & that it had a section of ab work that was all on your back with legs raised.  I had thought that was kind of a no-no at this stage but I guess as long as you had pillows under your shoulders & felt comfortable then it wasn't too worrisome.

Otherwise though it was a great workout & definitely faster & more intense than a lot of pilates videos that I've tried!

Happy workouts mammas, here's hoping spring comes soon so that we can get outside a little more!

User Tag List