Exercise Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 11-17-2010, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alot of us are in or nearing our second trimesters and finally able to resume some semblance of normal.

I wanted to start this thread to help those of us that are trying to stick to an exercise routine through our pregnancies support each other, offer suggestions, and have some accountability.

So, come on it and share how you are staying motivated and what is working for you.

#2 of 40 Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

I recently lost 27 lbs before our surprise BFP and really had wanted to lose 20 more.  I'd like to keep my weight gain in the 15-20 lb range this pregnancy.  I gained 23 with DD with no exercise, just healthy eating, so Im hopeful I can stay on the lower end.

My goal during this pregnancy is to keep my strength up and work on my endurance.  Im preparing for a VBAC and look at it like Im preparing for a marathon.  I want to be as mobile and healthy as possible.  My last pregnancy  I did not regularly exercise and I want not only this pregnancy, but my whole life to be different then the life of inactivity I used to lead.  Ive struggled with eating disorders and being overweight since a car accident in my teens.  I want to teach my almost 3 year old the beauty of moving her body and the joy we get from using our body.  I want to have the stamina to birth this baby here in my home.  I want to stay healthy.

For the last week Ive been able to start things back up and this is my hope:

Walk 1.5 miles on the treadmill at 3 mph/ 10% incline 5 days a week.

Do this yoga routine (as much of it as I can modified for pregnancy) , 2 times a week

Bowflex strength maintenance.  Im focusing on my lower back, glutes and hip adductors, 2 times a week

#3 of 40 Old 11-17-2010, 10:47 AM

hey mamachef - that's GREAT!  Cardio + strength + flexibility - It's the trifecta.

I swim and do rigorous yoga.  I haven't made it in to do my strength training stuff for a while.  Happily I didn't miss out too much during the first tri.

Last week I was sick and it knocked me out for a week so I'm getting back into it.

Yay accountability thread!

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#4 of 40 Old 11-17-2010, 11:11 AM

I'll join in!

I try to take a class called Strictly Strength twice a week and one spinning class a week (though have failed on that commitment last 2 weeks.) spinning is great cardio (even with my half a$$ pregnancy effort) but I dont' know how long I'll last with my bladder. My last pregnancy I had to give it up pretty quickly b/c I was getting up twice per class to use the bathroom. I will probably replace spinning with 30 mins on the elliptical. If I can maintain 3 work-outs per week until week 36 or 37 I'll be happy.

I started this pregnancy about 10 pounds over my average weight so I'm feeling discouraged in general, but just keep telling myself that after this baby I have the rest of my life to get into the shape I want to be.

Mom to DD1 8/09 and DD2 4/11

#5 of 40 Old 11-17-2010, 12:04 PM

I am playing my last two hockey games this week, which should be fun, but Ill miss it this winter :( I will continue to play ultimate frisbee at work though. Last pregnancy I biked throughout, this time I don't quite have the time luxury to do that (its an extra hour commuting every day if I do bike) but I'm hoping to do it once a week or so, if the weather is nice.

one thing I did last time that I am having trouble finding time for is a regular yoga class. The scheduling is just so much harder now! I have trouble doing things w/out Z in the afternoon/evenings I guess. But it was really good and helped w/ labor as well, so I need to find a class that works for me.

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#6 of 40 Old 11-17-2010, 01:24 PM

great idea mamachef.  i need this right about now.

i've got about 20 lbs more on me than i did when i got pregnant with dd four years ago.  i probably won't gain as much as i did with her (40 lbs), but it's still more than i hoped to weigh when i got pregnant again. 

thanks for the motivation (and accountability) thread.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#7 of 40 Old 11-17-2010, 03:50 PM

I so need this thread!  I lost a ton of weight this summer- not sure how much because I dont own a scale and judge by clothes- but let's just say I couldn't keep any of my pre-pg pants up.  I started this pg around 10lbs less than last time according to the dr. but lately my only form of exercise is opening fridge/pantry and raising food to mouthredface.gif.  OK, its not that bad but my 2 walks a day have degenerated into one and I am lucky to get in 3 yoga sessions a week.  I haven't worked out at all in weeks.  Granted we just moved, nightweaned DS so I never sleep and I have been struggling through a huge workload but I need to get this show on the road.

I plan on getting in a minimum of cardio/strength 3x week, yoga 4x week, and daily walks (usually 3 miles or so in very hilly unpaved country).

There, now I have committed!

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#8 of 40 Old 11-17-2010, 04:11 PM

Yeah, an exercise thread! Thanks for starting it.thumb.gif

I was within 5-10lbs of my ideal weight and feeling good and strong when I got pregnant this time. I started off this pregnancy with a scary bleeding episode and had to lay off strenuous exercise for awhile just to be safe. After a month of being a couch potato and no more bleeding I slowly eased into exercise again. I limited myself to brisk walking at first and then slowly added in a little gentle, slow jogging. I've been increasing the jogging time and speed a little and decreasing the walking time. I've gotten in an hour everyday 5-6days/week for the last several weeks and have been feeling great with lots of energy and so far no more bleeding or spotting at all. I'm hoping that's a good sign and that I'll be cleared to add in weight lifting after my big u/s here in a couple of weeks. I'm also thinking about checking out a yoga class or dvd.

Thanks again for starting the thread! I'm afraid I'm going to need all the motivation I can get seeing how the cold, yucky months are here. It's so much easier to want to hit the pavement when it's warm and sunny. I do have a treadmill at least, but it's not as fun as going outside so I have to really think about how good it will make me feel afterwards and just do it. I plan to bundle up and go outdoors as much as I can even if it's chilly, but on days like today(rainy, cold, and 30mph wind) it's the treadmill.

Here's hoping we can all find the motivation and discipline to stick with our exercise goals!fingersx.gif

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#9 of 40 Old 11-17-2010, 04:45 PM

I'm doing exercise videos at home mostly. I have the "Perfect Pregnancy Workout" and "10 minute Solution Prenatal Pilates" and have been doing them about 3x/week. I'm hoping to do the treadmill occasionally at the gym as well.

mommy to DS (5/29/05) and DD (3/21/07) and DD #2 (5/3/11)
#10 of 40 Old 11-18-2010, 05:52 AM

Hi everyone, 

I work in wellness professionally and am a yoga teacher so I wanted to add something to this thread.

First of all, there are lots of ways to get "exercise" that don't include straight up cardio or going to the gym.  The basic guideline is to shoot for 30 minutes of moderate movement a day, and you can break this down into no lower than 10 minute increments.

So... getting up and really moving around the house in a whirlwind (or a pregnant lady's whirlwind to be exact) for ten minutes COUNTS!!!  In my company we encourage people to start with manageable goals and to celebrate successes.  So if you can get 10 minutes straight a few times a week (if you're coming back from a really rough first trimester or something life crashing like a move...) that's a GREAT START.

The goal would be to just do a little bit more each week, and if you get knocked down from stress, sickness, etc, give yourself "credit" for taking care of yourself - taking vitamins, getting rest, and eating good healthy whole foods.

Another way to get moving or to work with physical activity goals is to strap on a pedometer.  I run pedometer walking programs many times a year for many different groups and the goal is 6000-8000 steps a day.  You'll probably find that you get 2000 steps normally unless you're on your feet a lot or are chasing a toddler around all day.  2000 is like drive to work, sit, drive home, do some stuff around the house, that's it.  Basically you'd up your steps by taking a 45 minute walk.

I myself am a plus sized person who's incredibly healthy.  It's kind of hard being in the wellness field but it's been a challenge to my self confidence that I'm happy to say most days I've overcome.  It's not about being perfect - it's about being kind to yourself first - making your head a nice place to live.  When you act kindly toward yourself and can set a timer for ten minutes and just turn on a CD and dance - you're on your way.

Every little bit counts, celebrate your successes no matter how small.  Getting "active" in small steps is one of the best things you can do (as mamachef says) to set an example for your little ones.  However no example is a good one if it involves negative self talk.

CHEER TO YOU ALL!!!  

MamaChef likes this.

#11 of 40 Old 11-18-2010, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone!  So glad there are some other folks to do this with. :)

Annaconda, I totally hear what you are saying.  I used the bodybugg system to lose the weight last time.  It was really helpful to see the chart read out of my calorie expenditure during the day.  It sure motivated me to clean when I could see that I had burned as many calories doing that as I did on a treadmill walking without the incline.  At first it was difficult to hit the 5k step goal, but towards the end I was often hitting 10k, and it felt great to move my body that much.  I loved the bodybugg because if by the end of the day I hadnt hit my goal I could spend some extra time picking up around the house, take a few minutes of stairs, be more motivated to jump on the treadmill, etc.  Luckily with my first I lost everything Id gained in 2 weeks.  I was still 20lbs overweight when I started my pregnancy but, It was the post partum where I gained the weight.  Sleep deprivation was not a motivator for me to eat right and exercise... LOL.  Im glad to have the bodybugg this time.

________________________________________________________________________________

Mad props to those of you that have been able to keep it up through the morning sickness phase.  I really wish I could have motivated myself to atleast get in a walk a week, but all I wanted to do was lay on the couch and try to think of anything but puking.  So glad that has passed with only 2 lbs of weight gain so far.  I tried to atleast eat healthy as often as I could.  I'd like to get up to walking 10 miles a week in a couple months so you guys give me hope.  Id really rather walk outside but it's too cold and rainy here until the baby comes. I dont enjoy walking in the rain.  It really bugs me because of my glasses.

Decided to try my cardio hula instead of the treadmill last night because my dd is sick and being a big clingy and the treadmill is downstairs and I didnt want to deal with keeping her off everything.  Ouch round ligaments this morning.  I didnt have any pain while doing the DVD but my psoas and round ligaments sure are sore today. 

#12 of 40 Old 11-18-2010, 07:30 AM

I started out this pregnancy in pretty good shape having gone back to martial arts about 9 mths prior to conceiving.  Still, I am not nearly as fit as I would like.  I have always been slightly underweight so my goal this pregnancy is to gain healthy weight and increase my muscle tone.  I do a brisk walk almost 7 days a week - weekdays 2 miles and weekends closer to 3 miles.  I am also attending a prenatal yoga clas 1x a week but would like to find a good DVD (suggestions?) that I can do at home.  I am also looking for a good workout DVD for at home that is geared to mild cardio/strenth for preggos.  If I could do the cardio/strength 2x a week that would be great.  I just need to keep myself from exercising too much that I don't gain weight.  I gained about 22lbs with DD1 and DD2.  It was a LOT of work for me to gain that weight as I don't eat junk and can't handle anything oily or greasy.  

Great thread.  :)

#13 of 40 Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 AM

Well, thank you for starting this thread. It really reminds me that I need to be working hard at being in shape. I am trying for my first VBAC and really want to have the stamina to be able to do it. 

I joined the gym yesterday, and will be taking water aerobics three times a week. I did this with my last pregnancy and it helped tremendously!

Thanks for this thread and this group! I am loving the support.

Cerise

Happily married mother of a tiny angel angel.gif (12/06 at 5 weeks) Maya Elizabeth dust.gif (12/07) and our full term angel Mateo German angel2.gif (Lost during labor on 06/01/11) Currently pregnant with our naturally conceived twin rainbow1284.gif's due 8/15/2012!

#14 of 40 Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 AM

I managed to keep up my routine throughout the first trimester, so now I feel like I'm smooth sailing through the 2nd trimester.  I'm not laying on my back anymore, but I still do incline exercises and standing core exercises.  I still do all my usual cardio - running (including sprints, even if I have slowed down a bit!), spinning, biking, step aerobics, stair master, etc.  I'm still lifting weights 3x a week.  I think this has really helped my weight gain.  With DD, I gained 10lbs in my 1st trimester.  This time, I'm at 15 weeks, and I've gained a whole 1.5lbs.

The Nation's Triathlon is being held Sept. 11, 2011, which will be almost exactly 4mos post-partum for me.  It's one of those things... if everything goes smoothly and well, I could be ready for it.  So, that's my motivation to keep up with my exercise.  I would love to be able to compete in Sept.  (It is an Olympic distance tri - 1.5k swim, 25k bike, and 10k run, so not too bad.)

I also have 5K races (runs, I guess, since I'm running for fun, not to win)  scheduled for Nov. 25th (next week!), Dec. 18th, and Jan. 2.  Once the rest of the 2011 race schedule comes out, I'll probably sign up for ones in Feb. and Mar., too.

DD#1 dust.gif (May '08); new sweet baby girl (May '11) vbac.gif
#15 of 40 Old 11-19-2010, 05:56 AM

Wow what a motivating thread!  I've let my fitness slide almost completely since returning to work a year ago after mat leave with DD.  Once the first Tri hit though & my iron levels bottomed out that did me in completely.  What I really miss is the feeling of strength & fluidity in my body.  In my first pregnancy there was lots of time for looong daily walks as well as yoga for flexibility & I miss that a lot.  Aside from wanting to increase my stamina to achieve my home birth this time, I want the strength & stamina just for me!

It's no excuse I know!  But I am really struggling with fitting exercise in with a 2yr old & 2hrs of commuting daily before I crash into bed 40 mins after she does.  I'm really hoping that with the 2nd tri starting & heavy iron supplementation that I can get things rolling again.  Any tips here are dearly appreciated!

I currently walk on my lunch hours for a brisk 30-40 mins.  Money is unfortunately too tight for a gym membership or studio yoga classes so the rest will have to be from home.  I've got a great set of free weights though & a dog that needs some extra walks so that will help to offer some motivation.  I'd love suggestions to any favorite cardio, strength, yoga or pilates videos that have worked well for anyone during pregnancy!!

Thanks all - I needed this reminder to take care of myself.  I

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
#16 of 40 Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 AM

CinCanada - 

2 hrs of commuting is a life-buster.  Sorry about that!!!!

#17 of 40 Old 11-19-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaconda View Post

CinCanada - 

2 hrs of commuting is a life-buster.  Sorry about that!!!!

yeahthat.gif

I used to do that before DD and I cant imagine having to do it now and trying to get anything else in my life done!  No tips, only hugs :)

#18 of 40 Old 11-19-2010, 02:28 PM

ugh, so my hockey game last night went as expected, by midway I was so nauseous it was hard to play as well as I'd like. I got home, still nauseous. My nausea seems SO much worse in the evenings? in the AM I can eat and combat it okay, its just a hunger-nausea, but in the evenings its both hunger AND digestion issues - so if I eat, I just get a different KIND of nausea. I am still trying to figure out what I can eat in the evenings that doesn't just SIT and make me feel ill the rest of the night :(

I played ultimate frisbee today at work too and got a bit nauseous, but not as bad. But again this evening, ugh. And I have a hockey practice tomorrow evening as well so that might not go well. At least the game Sunday is only at 1pm, I should play a bit better if its that early.

I can't wait until the sickness goes away! I have like 6 more weeks I think :( (if its like last time)

#19 of 40 Old 11-21-2010, 08:58 AM

I also play hockey and my Dr. made me quit as soon as i found out i was pregnant, not because i am at high risk but because of the chance of blows to the belly. It has been the hardest thing to do yet, giving up something that i enjoy and having been doing for about 15 years. Only a couple more months i suppose :) it will be well worth it, i know! I have hit the free weights again at the gym and feel so out of shape, but i have the energy to start going again which makes me happy.

#20 of 40 Old 11-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpette View Post

I also play hockey and my Dr. made me quit as soon as i found out i was pregnant, not because i am at high risk but because of the chance of blows to the belly. It has been the hardest thing to do yet, giving up something that i enjoy and having been doing for about 15 years. Only a couple more months i suppose :) it will be well worth it, i know! I have hit the free weights again at the gym and feel so out of shape, but i have the energy to start going again which makes me happy.

oh interesting. many women on my team play while pregnant, usually just the first trimester (since the uterus is pretty much covered by the pelvis and pelvic protector, etc. My doc knows as well. Since its womens, its not really 'checking' although I suppose it does happen. Our game today had a lot of contact, its true. I stopped last time at about 14wks, and probably will this time, though Ill still go to practice. (won't do any contact drills) I actually have tried to read a lot about it, since I wonder really what kind of abdominal force is really needed to cause an issue. I'd love to play one more game, the last one before xmas, but I'd be 16wks, so I think Ill probably sit out. It is hard though! I don't play except in winter so its a long break for me.

#21 of 40 Old 11-21-2010, 04:21 PM

I hit the free weight side of the gym today, and it felt awesome.  I've shifted from bench press to incline press.  Did a lot of dead-lifts, lunge-to-curls, squat-to-press.  Found the captain's chair for some core work, since I'm no longer laying on my back for core work either.  Also did core rotations on a cable machine.  I felt good after that workout!

#22 of 40 Old 11-22-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb9906 View Post

I hit the free weight side of the gym today, and it felt awesome.  I've shifted from bench press to incline press.  Did a lot of dead-lifts, lunge-to-curls, squat-to-press.  Found the captain's chair for some core work, since I'm no longer laying on my back for core work either.  Also did core rotations on a cable machine.  I felt good after that workout!

That sounds like a great workout! I'm really missing lifting and am keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be given the okay to start it up again after my u/s next week.

We're having gorgeous weather here this week, 70's and sunny, and I've been loving running outdoors.

#23 of 40 Old 11-23-2010, 12:45 PM

I am running a 5K in two days!  I'm really excited.  I don't really have any time goals ... just want to run the whole thing and finish.

#24 of 40 Old 11-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:

I am running a 5K in two days!  I'm really excited.  I don't really have any time goals ... just want to run the whole thing and finish.

Fun! Good luck with it!smile.gif

#25 of 40 Old 11-24-2010, 07:29 AM

I haven't worked out in what feels like forever redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceriserenee View Post

Well, thank you for starting this thread. It really reminds me that I need to be working hard at being in shape. I am trying for my first VBAC and really want to have the stamina to be able to do it. 

I joined the gym yesterday, and will be taking water aerobics three times a week. I did this with my last pregnancy and it helped tremendously!

Thanks for this thread and this group! I am loving the support.

Cerise

also planning my first HBAC! after taking the stairs in my apartment building and running out of breath when i got to my floor (6 flights), i realized how out of shape i am. i'll never make it through even a short labor at this rate. i've GOT to do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinCanada View Post

Wow what a motivating thread!  I've let my fitness slide almost completely since returning to work a year ago after mat leave with DD.  Once the first Tri hit though & my iron levels bottomed out that did me in completely.  What I really miss is the feeling of strength & fluidity in my body.  In my first pregnancy there was lots of time for looong daily walks as well as yoga for flexibility & I miss that a lot.  Aside from wanting to increase my stamina to achieve my home birth this time, I want the strength & stamina just for me!

It's no excuse I know!  But I am really struggling with fitting exercise in with a 2yr old & 2hrs of commuting daily before I crash into bed 40 mins after she does.  I'm really hoping that with the 2nd tri starting & heavy iron supplementation that I can get things rolling again.  Any tips here are dearly appreciated!

I currently walk on my lunch hours for a brisk 30-40 mins.  Money is unfortunately too tight for a gym membership or studio yoga classes so the rest will have to be from home.  I've got a great set of free weights though & a dog that needs some extra walks so that will help to offer some motivation.  I'd love suggestions to any favorite cardio, strength, yoga or pilates videos that have worked well for anyone during pregnancy!!

Thanks all - I needed this reminder to take care of myself.  I

i feel your pain! i've also got a 2-hour daily commute (or more depending on traffic) and a toddler at home. i don't walk on my lunch break either :( i really need to start doing that. today's a good day to start! the only other daily walking i do is to and from my bus stop. i do that fairly briskly because i'm usually running late to work or trying not to miss my bus. sometimes i even chase it for a few blocks. but that is probably only 3/4 mile total each day. would also love to hear suggestions for home workouts:) i have a yoga mat, a set of 5lb weights, an exercise ball and a stretch cord. i could probably get a complete workout with just that.

Quote:

good luck! i am SO not a runner and am continuously impressed by those who are!

Lisa mama to Adrian born 3/09 by unnecessarean
#2 is coming in May 2011! planning for a home vbac.gif
#26 of 40 Old 12-13-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hi ladies.

Reviving the thread.. Im only hitting 3 treadmill sessions.. 2 miles 3x a week right now, 2 bow flex sessions and one yoga.  But Im okay with that.  If I can keep it up through pregnancy Ill be thrilled.  Tryiing to cut myself a little slack :)

#27 of 40 Old 12-13-2010, 04:23 PM

I'll join in. I let fitness go on the back burner during my first trimester as well. I have been trying to get back into the swing of doing my 20 minutes of cardio (Denise Austin's Fit & Firm Pregnancy) daily. I want to look into pregnancy pilates or yoga, but have to get a video for it. No gym membership here. We just can't pay the $50+/month to get a gym with a kids center.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#28 of 40 Old 12-13-2010, 06:44 PM

Still doing my boot camp class and running.  Boot Camp is 3x a week... and getting harder everyday!  lol.gif  However, I'm still rocking it.  While I have made modifications, I am still lifting the same amount of weight I was before.  I'm not trying to increase, but it feels great to have maintained!!  Definitely have not maintained any kind of running conditioning.  I am still running, but I am much slower now.  The cold weather has kept me from running outside, so I only run when I make to the gym on non-boot camp days.  I have started getting on the bike more, but the bike is so BORING to me.  I plan to start water aerobics after the holidays.  Still doing some core work, though none on my back.  I feel like I'm taking good care of my core even though I'm limited as to what I can do.  Generally, I feel really good about what I'm doing exercise-wise.  The exercise has really helped control my weight gain, give me energy, help me sleep, and just make me feel good. 

#29 of 40 Old 12-13-2010, 06:58 PM

I'll check in again too. I'm still running about 5 days a week. I run as long as I can(10-15min) and then walk briskly for a minute or two and keep alternating like that for an hour or so. I won't win any awards for speed, but I love how energized I feel afterwards and hope I can keep it up till the end. I also should start lifting some weights again and maybe add in some yoga but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Can anyone recommend a good prenatal yoga dvd for beginners?

#30 of 40 Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 PM

I am doing Zumba 1-2x week and trying to fit in some yoga but haven't been sucessful and now with holidays/birthdays/colds and today snow it has been difficult but hoping the 20 week mark motivates me to commit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page