weekly chat: nov 28th - dec 4th - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 82 Old 12-03-2010, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee View Post

are you guys planning on formula feeding?

I am not planning on it but I understand that it may happen. I work full time and sometimes have to go out of town for my job.  I am going to take 3 mos FMLA but unless DH gets a major promotion I will have to go back pretty soon. I have no problems nursing but don't really respond to the pump. I am hoping to wait until after the baby is already on solids before I have to introduce formula. That said, the kid I had to supplement ended up nursing til she was over 4 so I don't think it really messed up our relationship at all.

I am meeting my midwife on the 13th. She is going to try to get the heartbeat with the fetascope and then we're having lunch. I am excited to see her. Then I have an OB appt on the 17th.  It will be nice if she can get a good reading on the hb so I can avoid the doppler at the OB appt since my baby didn't like the doppler at the 12 week exam.

I'm moving my girls into one room tonight. I am hoping that Ava (the aforementioned 4 year old) weans totally because of it.  I also need my own sleeping space.  She headbutts me in her sleep and as my belly grows that can't be good.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#62 of 82 Old 12-03-2010, 07:44 AM

slb i'm getting my quad screen next week and am looking forward to the apt... it's a sonogram/doc/blood draw all at once!

mamachef - i had that salad except with italian dressing and it was SO good.

re: baby movement, I think I feel flutters off and on but no BOOM THAT WAS THE BABY.  I guess it's my first so I'm not nervous about it.

THIS MORNING I LOOKED FOR A PEN IN THE SILVERWARE DRAWER.  My husband stood by, incredulous.  

I really banged up my foot on Monday, lucky it's not broken and I still have 90% of my big toenail attached.  What a doozy of a hit - just as I'm starting to feel bigger and a little more pregnant (and having some weird emotions with that) I get a hit to my balance and walking.  Not a great combo... but I'm trying to stay positive.  I was just down last night about it.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#63 of 82 Old 12-03-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaconda View Post

THIS MORNING I LOOKED FOR A PEN IN THE SILVERWARE DRAWER.  My husband stood by, incredulous.  

This cracked me up- soooo something I would do! I am pretty clumsy lately I keep hitting my hip on desks and stuff at work or almost falling down when I walk.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#64 of 82 Old 12-03-2010, 10:36 AM

Okay, I just ate an egg sandwich on a onion bagel with tempeh bacon and cheddar cheese and it was seriously the best thing Ive ever eaten.  ;)

DD and I are making gingerbread houses today as a trial run for our little gingerbread village.  Im so excited!

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/house-assembly?backto=true&backtourl=/photogallery/no-bake-cookie-cottages#slide_7

#65 of 82 Old 12-03-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

camprunner - how great that the in-laws will watch your older ones for a while after baby comes.  i've been thinking how different things will be this time around.  when dd was born i was able to devote all my time to her.  i was off on maternity leave for four months and then when i did go back i worked nights so i could be with her during the day.  it was exhausting, but so worth it.  we got to bond in a way i'm afraid i won't be able to with this one.  dd will be four when baby arrives, so i think she'll be great and will understand, but it will be different.

ibusymomto5 - i love your j.o.y. gift giving tradition.  that's a really great idea.

MamaChef - yes, those are L.A. doula prices.  still looking for something a little less expensive.  i'm thinking i should just meet with some and find one i really click with rather than judging by price or others' recommendations.

don't think i'll be getting dh anything this year.  things are tight since i got laid off in october.  we never really get each other much anyway.  he is an L.A. native and life-long laker fan, so if he does get anything, it will probably be laker-related.

lasagna is a x-mas eve tradition in our house.  it's also tradition to eat a warmed-up piece of lasagna on x-mas morning when we're opening presents.  the tamales sound great too!

love all the fabric you bought for your x-mas jammie project (especially dh's).

so glad you found a sitter you're excited about.

crystalyn - hug.gif things sound pretty stressful right now.  hope there's some light at the end of it all.

got a call on tuesday from dr's office with my second trimester screening results.  turns out i screened positive for ds.  i was especially bummed because my first trimester results were so good that i declined getting the amnio.  now, i'm not so sure.  i just don't know if i can go the next 22 weeks without knowing.  what really bugged me though, was that when i got the second blood draw on nov 15th, i asked if i should call to find out my results or what.  she assured me that if the screen came back positive, they'd hear in a week and let me know and if it was negative they wouldn't know for two or three weeks.  well, a week came and went and two weeks came and went and i was feeling pretty good that the results must have been negative.  then i get a call from the office at 6:00 p.m. on nov 30th (two weeks and a day after).  i was annoyed.

other than that, i'm feeling great.  baby's moving pretty consistently now.  oh, and our birth bead swap is now up to 25 lovely ladies.  so glad for that. smile.gif can't wait to get started.

hope everyone is well.

-sam 

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#66 of 82 Old 12-03-2010, 11:45 AM

We're hoping to breastfeed, but we'll see how that goes. Two of my sisters kids have been intolerant to breastmilk and had to have soy products, so at this point I'm just wishful that I'll be lucky.

#67 of 82 Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 AM

Samstress- Good luck with everything . hug2.gif

#68 of 82 Old 12-03-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelgeek View Post

We're hoping to breastfeed, but we'll see how that goes. Two of my sisters kids have been intolerant to breastmilk and had to have soy products, so at this point I'm just wishful that I'll be lucky.

reelgeek,

If I remember correctly you follow a pretty serious Elimination diet to manage your IC, right?  I bet your baby wont have the same type of issues because you are actively managing your own allergen issues.  Uber uber Rarely is a child actually intolerant to breastmilk itself, but something mom eats.

samstress,

Thanks for your reply :)  I just got the fabric today and it's awesome.  Im so excited to get it washed and start sewing it up.  I think Ive decided to get DH a down comforter, a night away for just the two of us at hotel in downtown Seattle for NYE (our first night alone since DD was born) and some tickets to a Dave Matthews/ Tim Reynolds concert.  Hopefully the tickets work out.  Im going to meet the guy tonite to pick them up.  The sitter was integral in me being able to do the concert, so we had to find her first and then I could worry about the tickets.  The show is sold out so I have to buy from an individual.  We have been trying to go see Dave/Tim for a decade now.. so I think he will really like it.  It's actually way before Christmas.. we have seen DMB a few times, but never Dave and Tim.. our most favorite Dave music is Live at Luther.

Im sorry you have the stress of the these test results on top of everything else you have going on!  Try to remember that so often those results are false positives.  What were your risk numbers? Are you having an anatomy scan at 20 weeks?  I know that there are often DS markers they can see: choroid plexus cyst, echogenic bowel, echogenic intracardiac focus, and dilaitation of the kidneys... maybe those being clear or not will help you make a decision on what avenue to pursue next.  ((hug))

#69 of 82 Old 12-03-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Evergreen and MamaChef - thanks.

i'm quite aware of the number of false positives and am trying to remind myself of that.  i've heard this same story from so many other women and now it's happening to me.  risk is 1/100.  dh keeps telling me that's only a 1% percent chance, but i still wish i had just gone with my gut and avoided all screening and testing.  i am having the anatomy scan at 20 weeks.

MamaChef - sounds like you came up with the perfect gift for dh.  have fun!

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#70 of 82 Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 PM

Annaconda - Ouch on the toe! I hate how clumsy and forgetful I get during pregnancy.

MamaChef - Oh I so want to make a gingerbread house with the kids sometime! It's always on my list of things to do, but I never seem to get around to it.

Samstress - hug.gif Sorry you have that worry over your head. I had a scare with DS with our 7th during the 2nd trimester after having a normal NT scan early on. An indepth follow-up u/s at 20wk with a perinatologist was able to pretty much rule it out. Just thought I'd share a "false alarm" story with you, as I remember reading story after story like that back then that helped me feel better in the few weeks while we didn't know. Apparently false alarms are extremely common, and I would think especially so after having an earlier normal result.

AFM - I had my big anatomy scan today. I was so nervous going into it, somewhat because I'd started this pregnancy with a large subchorionic hematoma. I've been wondering like crazy if it was still there, if it was bigger, if it could risk me out of a homebirth, etc. But, it has shrunk to almost nothing. The doctor could hardly see it, and said it was totally no big deal at all and that I could go on with the homebirth. Whew!!! Everything else looked great too, and baby measured at 18w1d. We were so excited and shocked to find out we're having a boy! I recognized those boy parts right away, he wasn't shy at all.orngbiggrin.gif Now our 2yo will have a little buddy close to his age, and dh is glad he'll have more help with mowing the lawn in his old age, lol. It also helps with the kids bedroom situation. Now we'll have 3 girls in one room, 3 girls in another, and 3 boys in another, and the boys room is downstairs right across from ours already set up with bunk beds and a crib. We'll co-sleep for the first several months, and by the time we're ready to transition from that 2yo ds will be 3 and ready to be in the bottom bunk.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#71 of 82 Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

(i was asking reelgeek about formula feeding because of the bottle bag she bought innocent.gif)

i am planning on breastfeeding 100%. i nursed haye until his 4th birthday so i'm pretty sure it will go accordingly this time around.

i just HURRRRRRLED. totally unexpected. i ate pizza and had an iced coffee for dinner whistling.gif and then got SUPER thirsty so i drank tons and tons of water. 

about an hour ago i started packing up our house for our big move in less than a month (ahhhh. so stressed.) and sat down for a couple minutes to finish part of ANTM...then i felt horrible and decided i had to throw up and barely made it to the bathroom...puked on my sock.

(bet you are all so excited i'm telling you this, lol lurk.gif)

anyways, i feel better now. weird. sorry to everyone still suffering from m/s. such a horrible thing to happen...this was just one random hurl lol.

and wow! you have a lot of kids, busymom!!! that is awesome! do you guys think you'll have more? it would be fun to have that amount of kids i just really don't think i am patient enough to deal with so many! lol

mama to 8 year old h  and 3 year old z

#72 of 82 Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 PM

Rylee - I've had that random puking happen in past pregnancies, once I thought the m/s was gone and then completely out of nowhere around 18-20wks one sudden upchuck and then nothing again. Both times it happened just after eating and came with no warning whatsoever. Weird.

We do have a lot of kids, lol, but funny as it may sound it doesn't "seem" like that many to us. I mean when we're all sitting in the same room watching a movie or something it doesn't seem like a lot. It just feels normal to us, since it happened gradually over the last 20yrs. We didn't plan to have that many in our younger days, but one at a time over the years and here we are. We started young, had our first at 20. I don't know if we'll have anymore, as we are both 40 and I had a miscarriage last year. Combine that with very irregular cycles and only ovulating a few times a year, and I think my fertile days are probably dwindling. I usually stay infertile while breastfeeding and aim for a couple of years of that. I'd say we would be content either way, though I do get a little more nervous with the increased risk over 40. Physically though, I feel better and more fit now than I did at 30... so, who knows? Parenting has gotten easier, more laid back with each one. Patience has definitely increased with time for both me and dh. What's that saying, that love increases 10 fold with each new baby? I'd say that is definitely the case. It's so neat as a parent to watch how the relationships develop between the kids over the years. Ours are all really close and get along good. It's fun!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#73 of 82 Old 12-04-2010, 06:49 AM

Rylee,

Planning on breastfeeding again. I had a hell of a time in the first few months with DS BFing, but we got through and my supply was always abundant, so I have never had to deal with supply issues, luckily. If for some reason breastfeeding didn't work out, I certainly wouldn't chose commercial formula. It's a bit controversial, but I would make my own. There's a recipe on WAPF website and plenty of babies thrive on it. www.westonaprice.org. I just believe that commercial formula is so incredibly bad, that my baby or I would have to be literally dying to chose that! :) Anyway, I hope you are planning on it, and believe you and baby can do it! :)

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#74 of 82 Old 12-04-2010, 06:51 AM

Hey, I just noticed you were asking Reelgeek about bfing. I'm glad you are going to BF! :)  Anyway, yeah I puke from pizza, it's mainly because I always eat too much pizza and tomato products make me barf, apparently even the small amount in sauce. So sucky! I hope I get over this and can eat whatever I want soon. I miss food :)

Quote:

(i was asking reelgeek about formula feeding because of the bottle bag she bought innocent.gif)

i am planning on breastfeeding 100%. i nursed haye until his 4th birthday so i'm pretty sure it will go accordingly this time around.

i just HURRRRRRLED. totally unexpected. i ate pizza and had an iced coffee for dinner whistling.gif and then got SUPER thirsty so i drank tons and tons of water. 

about an hour ago i started packing up our house for our big move in less than a month (ahhhh. so stressed.) and sat down for a couple minutes to finish part of ANTM...then i felt horrible and decided i had to throw up and barely made it to the bathroom...puked on my sock.

(bet you are all so excited i'm telling you this, lol lurk.gif)

anyways, i feel better now. weird. sorry to everyone still suffering from m/s. such a horrible thing to happen...this was just one random hurl lol.

and wow! you have a lot of kids, busymom!!! that is awesome! do you guys think you'll have more? it would be fun to have that amount of kids i just really don't think i am patient enough to deal with so many! lol

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#75 of 82 Old 12-04-2010, 07:18 AM

Lol I haz the reading comprehension fails.

Well, now you guys know how I'm planning to feed my baby. I am ready to be done nursing Ava though. It's only once per day about 5 days a week but I'd like some nonnursing time before the baby comes. Now, if I could only convince her of that!

#76 of 82 Old 12-04-2010, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

samstress :hug Please keep us updated when you get your 20 week anatomy scan. My chances were 1:2 this time and I turned out negative. I know what it is to worry about this stuff. Feel free to PM if you want to vent and don't feel comfortable posting on the board.

Mrs Bone - I think it's so fantastic that WAPF has a formula alternative for babies. Hopefully I will be able to nurse like I did with DS (made it three years before I worked on weaning. I couldn't take it anymore!). If, for whatever reason I can't, then I would trust WAPF over Nestle any day.

Thanks everyone for the good words. My doc did take me off work. They are allowing medical leave, which is great. I can keep insurance for a bit, at least. Get all my dental appointments in for the family and make sure we are all caught up before turning on notice. I also want to keep on for a couple months because I *still* don't trust that I will have a baby at the end of this. And if I lose this baby and am out of a job, that will be bad for me. I will definitely need work to help keep my mind occupied. Besides being able to bring money in, that is!

I am on labetalol 100 mg twice a day. I am also still trying to work out which omega 3 to take. I need one that is super gentle on the tummy with no fish burps. I tend to vomit the days I take my DHA.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#77 of 82 Old 12-04-2010, 09:01 AM

Thinking of you geekgolightly.

I just ate a salad. Best salad ever. All I want to eat is fresh vegetables and icecream now. That is such an improvement from a week or two ago!

#78 of 82 Old 12-04-2010, 11:04 AM

I'm going to try to breastfeed, but I'm also going to pump after the first 6 weeks so that I don't have a baby tied to my chest every moment of the day. The husband will get to feed the baby too. :)

Quote:

#79 of 82 Old 12-04-2010, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post

Samstress - hug.gif Sorry you have that worry over your head. I had a scare with DS with our 7th during the 2nd trimester after having a normal NT scan early on. An indepth follow-up u/s at 20wk with a perinatologist was able to pretty much rule it out. Just thought I'd share a "false alarm" story with you, as I remember reading story after story like that back then that helped me feel better in the few weeks while we didn't know. Apparently false alarms are extremely common, and I would think especially so after having an earlier normal result.

thanks for this.  i've heard plenty of stories like this as well.  in my gut, i know everything is fine, but i can't help my worrying.

congrats on your stork-boy.gif!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post

We do have a lot of kids, lol, but funny as it may sound it doesn't "seem" like that many to us. I mean when we're all sitting in the same room watching a movie or something it doesn't seem like a lot. It just feels normal to us, since it happened gradually over the last 20yrs. We didn't plan to have that many in our younger days, but one at a time over the years and here we are. We started young, had our first at 20. I don't know if we'll have anymore, as we are both 40 and I had a miscarriage last year. Combine that with very irregular cycles and only ovulating a few times a year, and I think my fertile days are probably dwindling. I usually stay infertile while breastfeeding and aim for a couple of years of that. I'd say we would be content either way, though I do get a little more nervous with the increased risk over 40. Physically though, I feel better and more fit now than I did at 30... so, who knows? Parenting has gotten easier, more laid back with each one. Patience has definitely increased with time for both me and dh. What's that saying, that love increases 10 fold with each new baby? I'd say that is definitely the case. It's so neat as a parent to watch how the relationships develop between the kids over the years. Ours are all really close and get along good. It's fun!

i love the idea of a large family.  my mom was one of seven and her mom one of eleven.  i had always imagined having a house full of children.  however, i'll be 39 when #2 comes along, so i don't think it's in the cards for me.  that's ok, i love our little family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post

samstress :hug Please keep us updated when you get your 20 week anatomy scan. My chances were 1:2 this time and I turned out negative. I know what it is to worry about this stuff. Feel free to PM if you want to vent and don't feel comfortable posting on the board.

thanks so much! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post

I just ate a salad. Best salad ever. All I want to eat is fresh vegetables and icecream now. That is such an improvement from a week or two ago!

oh, this is me too.  really craving fruits and veggies right now (and water).  so excited that our mandarin tree is finally producing fruit.  such a switch from my first trimester when all i wanted was super salty stuff and everything bad for me.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#80 of 82 Old 12-05-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post

our mandarin tree is finally producing fruit.  such a switch from my first trimester when all i wanted was super salty stuff and everything bad for me.

lurk.gif

Oh I so wish I had a mandarin tree!

xo

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#81 of 82 Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 AM

wow... i missed this whole weeks chat!  i just read through the last page though...

samstress - i'm sorry you have to deal with the worry.  i hope you're 20 week scan is soon and gives you peace of mind!  

geekgolightly - i think nordic naturals has the best O3 that you can buy easily.  the liquid CLO honestly does not taste fishy!  my daughter loves it!  they have capsules too and even if you bite into the capsules, they don't have a fishy taste either.  i recently switched to a fermented CLO that my daughter refuses to take.  it has a VERY strong taste but strangely, it's not fishy.  

mrs.bone - i agree with you completely about commercial formula!  if i ever had to supplement, i would try to make my own first as well.  luckily, i had an abundance of milk with my daughter and i'm hoping for the same this time around!

AFM, dd has been sick with RSV since thanksgiving so we've kept ourselves cooped up for the week.  i'm still not feeling any movement from the baby so i'm really looking forward to my appointment with the mw on monday.  i really wanted to avoid doppler but my fears keep getting the best of me so we'll take another little listen to make sure there is still a heartbeat.  i'm not overly stressing since my breasts have suddenly felt super full this week.  i'm just looking forward to feeling movement for reassurance that there really is a baby in my belly!

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

#82 of 82 Old 12-05-2010, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post

lurk.gif Oh I so wish I had a mandarin tree! xo

oh, i know, we're so fortunate to be able to go into the back yard and grab a piece of fruit when we're hungry.  we have eight different fruit trees (and a bird's eye chili plant), but our mandarin and nectarine trees are definitely the most bountiful (and tasty).

PAgreenmama - hope you get to hear that heartbeat tomorrow (and start feeling movement soon).

next week's chat...

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page