weekly chat: dec 5th - dec 11th - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 12-08-2010, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sadly, not homemade, but a pretty good soup from Whole Foods :) We do have lots of yogurt, I didn't think of trying that! I think I shy away from dairy when my stomach has been upset. I take a prenatal, not sure what it has for Vit D, but I should make sure and not forget to take it today. The last few days have been a bit of a blur :)

I was at least a tad better by the time the mr. got it, but not really well enough to be on Z duty all day! He exhausted me. I am staying home from work again today and hopefully getting more rest (Z is at school today, so that should help!)

I didn't eat at all yesterday except for the soup, but am feeling like I can try more today. It sucked since this morning I felt all nauseous again, but couldn't tell if I was still sick, or if it was just morning sickness from having not eaten! way too confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

DH, DS and I had a stomach bug like this last year. It was awful...throwing up, diarrhea, chills, aches. Luckily we all got it at different times..once one of us got better, the other one started feeling sick. Do you take Vit D? I would start taking it, and maybe some fermented foods (kefir, yogurt, real sauerkraut) and keep it up with the chicken soup. Do you make it yourself? Homemade is the best...esp. with lots of garlic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post

mamachef - those are great diapers!! we cloth diaper here, but the only thing I make are covers (I knit) I do sew, but we like prefolds so much we just use those. I'm thinking for sewing dipes you'd really need a serger as well, something I've been meaning to get someday :)

speaking of which I shouldn't have sold off all the newborn/small prefolds after Z outgrew them, whups! I think I was too focused on keeping our dipe stash small and cheap or something, wasn't thinking ahead ! So I'm starting to stalk diaperswappers for stuff I need :)

its been a messy few days here - we've all been sick since mid last week (stuffy, sore throat, the mr. has a terrible cough as well) and Z had a fever friday and saturday. Then, weirdly, Monday morning, I threw up right when I got up. I chalked it up to morning sickness, even though it had been 2 weeks since I threw up, just because it was the typical empty stomach throw up (just bile) etc. So I ate some toast, hoping that would settle things (usually eating makes it better) threw that up 10min later.

hmmm, weird. But figure its still just morning sickness, and will pass, I should eat something maybe less dense then the bread I have, dunno. So I go to work. Still feeling crappy though - and getting more and more achy as well. Have some dry cornflakes. Throw THAT up. Now I'm guessing something else is going on. I call my husband to come get me since I feel so awful I don't want to drive. Get home, have some water, throw THAT up!! now I'm worried. We call the med center (I work at a lab, associated with MIT) and they say I am the third person to call today with the same symptoms - evidently a nasty stomach bug is going around the lab. Nothing to do with m/s at all! whups. They say if I can't keep down water to go to the ER, but try sucking on some ice cubes first. That does work, thankfully. But I spend the rest of yesterday in bed, basically wanting to die I felt so awful. My stomach was SO unhappy, and I had a terrible headache, and was all achy and sore from throwing up so much. Luckily the mr. handled Z well, and even dealt with nighttime and his wakeups so I could sleep.

but then first thing this morning, the mr. throws up. Tag, now he's it! So he's now a mess in bed like I was yesterday. And I'm not quite 'better' yet but at least can keep mild things down so far (I've had some chicken soup) We're just hoping Z doesn't get it, though I'm not sure how he'd avoid it, but maybe he's less susceptible if I've passed him some antibodies or something!

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#32 of 50 Old 12-08-2010, 09:43 AM

camprunner, glad you had a good appt. :)

L&KsMommie, How exciting to have an offer in on a house!  Im so envious of people who are able to buy right now.  I hope you get the house of your dreams.  Crossing my fingers for you.

Mrs. Bone,
I had a friend whose bday was the 24th... her parents always did the party on the weekend before Christmas.  Parents loved it because they could go get their last minute christmas shopping done without their kiddos in tow.  When the kids got older, I bet you would be the favorite of all parents if you did nye sleep over parties :)  

The coconut cake sounds good.  I made some coconut flour cakes and muffins I can never get the egg balance right and always end up with a cake that just tastes like eggs.  Like the opposite of an angel food cake.. a angel pound cake!

I hope your sinus issues clear up soon.  I hate being congested for long periods of time.

KarenMT,
It was so hard to go from midwifery care to OB care.  I hope you dont have to spend  the last weeks of your pregnancy fighting off technology.  

Most teachers I know wont eat things that people make at their houses.  I was actually just talking about this a couple days ago with a friend and she said, "Have you ever seen an episode of Hoarders?"  LOL.

Good for you for doing a task chart.  I think that it's imperative that we challenge our husbands to step up and help us with tasks.  I hate it when I see women upset about their husband's lack of involvement but just unwilling to wage the campaign for change.  It's a big pain to have to make up a chore chart... or to do what some consider nagging... but the alternative is either martyrdom to spending your life with resentment and overwhelm.  When my husband and I started dating he only knew how to cook things in boxes and his cleaning skills were horrible.  His Mom is a horrible cook and housekeeper and on top of that she didnt let her kids do anything as simple as even make a dinner.. he barely ever had even thrown a load of laundry in.  Now he can make 5 basic meals, follow a recipe and does all the laundry and alot of the dishes.  Those two tasks help so much, especially as our family grows.  It just took alot of asking and alot of positive reinforcement and a couple of grumpy outbursts.. but just a couple. :) Good luck!  I hope that your husband embraces it and overwhelms you with support.

seafox,
Thanks!  I dont have nearly the patience to knit.  I can make a whole stash in the time it would take me to knit a cover.  I tried to make some longies for DD when I was pregnant and didnt even get half of one side done in over a week of dedicated knitting every night.  Hate counting stitches.

Yuck Yuck yuck!  The stomach flu sucks.  Pregnant women should be immune.  Im so glad you are feeling better and am crossing my fingers for you that Z doesnt get it.

mdnaturalmama,
Thanks!  How fun that you have a diaper store.  I'd probably spend more then I made ;)  Welcome to the DDC!

Skrimpy,
Yay for baby's heartbeat!  Boo for pipes.  Pipe problems seem to be a theme on here lately.  I hope the guy can figure it out and fix them today. 

________________________________________________________________________________________

Ive been sewing in santa's sweatshop the last couple days.  I finished hubby's sleep pants which are lined in Organic Bamboo velour and I swear weigh 5 lbs..and a matching nightgown for DD.. Im almost finished with my nightgown, I just have to put the bottom ruffle on.. and then all I have left is to finish DD's nightgown that matches mine.  I changed up the neck for ours to a square neck so I didnt have to do snaps..  Ive got all the pieces cut, so hopefully it will come together quickly.  Ill be happy to have it all finished.  I dont have a dedicated sewing space so everything gets strewn around the living room and then I have to clean it all up multiple times a day to keep the dog from stepping on it, or DD dragging it around..

DHobv.jpg

DHpants.jpgDDchristmas.jpg

I was on craftster and got inspired by the gingerbread houses people are making so Im going to try and make one from scratch instead of using the graham crackers.  Ive got to bake the pieces today since they have to harden for a couple days and then track down some meringue powder.  We are going to cut down our tree on Saturday, so my hope was to decorate the houses after and turn it into a family tradition.  We'll see how it all turns out.  I was going to make one medium sized house for DH and I to decorate together and deck out and then two smaller houses DD can decorate.  I really want to do the melted candy idea for windows and put some led candles inside so that it lights up.  Yay for Trader Joes Eggplant parm and the breaded chicken tenders.. topped in Rao's arrabiata with some steamed broccoli so I didnt have to make an elaborate dinner last night, or tonite ;)

Im looking forward to a break in crafting before the cookie bakeathon.  My goal is to bake and mail cookies Monday and Tuesday so that I can just relax and enjoy all the holiday activities we have planned starting Friday.. we have a holiday party and then our church's Singing Christmas tree Sat.. and then on the 23rd we are going to see the Seattle Nutcracker which Im super excited about.  Then, we just relax, enjoy good food and get ready for our trip to Hawaii in early mid Jan.  I cannot wait.  I seriously need some sunshine.  So glad the solstice is soon and we are headed out of the darkness.

#33 of 50 Old 12-08-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

welcome to the DDC, mdnaturalmama! How far along are you? Are you going to find out the sex? Did you see the DDC roster thread? You can post all your stats so we all know who you are! :) Hope you enjoy posting here. This is a great community!

Thanks! I'm 16wks(17 tomorrow), yes I will be finding out sex, yes I did the roster. This is a fabulous community! Beings as this is my first time trying to plan a HB this board has been a wonderful source for me. I'm working on getting DH on board with some books and such. I'm also plugging thru some books myself! I so wish I had done all of this with our first! =)

~Christy, wife to M and mother to M and A, expecting baby #3 in May 2011 Planning our first HBAC!
#34 of 50 Old 12-08-2010, 10:21 AM

MamaChef: Thanks...our market in Alaska hasn't gone down mcuh at all which is good though in some ways it would be nice for  a better deal smile.gif 
  And I love the pants and dress you made!  Where did you get the pattern?  I'm new to sewing and would love to try and make some comfy pants for myself.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#35 of 50 Old 12-08-2010, 10:31 AM

Im too stubborn to buy patterns and I have a horrible time finding free patterns for clothes.  I do most of my fabric orders online because the local Joanns never has fabric I like and the only other option is a quilt store or driving an hour into the city.  So, I never can sit down and look through the patterns.  The two diaper patterns I use were free.  For clothes, I just use freezer paper and trace something that I already know fits us, add a seam allowance and make stuff that way.  I make really simple designs though, so it works... most of the time ;)  I do have one really fantastic tute for a shirt I use alot...  http://www.dana-made-it.com/2008/07/tutorial-90-minute-shirt.html  she has a make your own pattern tute on there too.

#36 of 50 Old 12-08-2010, 02:02 PM

I love all that stuff MamaChef, I really miss sewing. My machine is in the garage at the moment. I barely have spare time to do normal chores, let alone something like sewing. My mending basket is out of control with projects.

I am an emotional wreck. I have been crying almost non-stop since yesterday. My husband said something in the car last night when he picked me up that set me off and I completely lost it and started screaming at him ( I seriously have no recollection of what he said or why I go so upset). Then I started crying hysterically and couldn't stop for about an hour. I am so stressed out about finals and work and just tired all the time that you throw hormones in the mix and I'm just a fruitcake. School will be over on the 21st, and I'll be free from work on the 23rd, at least until the 3rd of Jan. Then I get to come in to deal with new owners and the whole stress of the sale of company. I almost feel like I'm counting down to freedom from work as much as I am counting down to baby.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#37 of 50 Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 PM

elowny,

((hugs)) -  Id never be able to work, go to school and be pregnant all at the same time!  Mending, schmending. 

Those darn pregnancy hormones + stress = crazy.  Atleast for me.  Hopefully DH can understand and the emotional release helped let some of that pressure that was building up out.  I hope these last couple weeks of work and school fly by for you and you get to enjoy your time off.  Dont go crazy and do alot of baby things when you are off, just relax.  Babies sleep so much in the beginning and if you arent much of a napper you will have plenty of time to get things done and get a nap in without burning all your "you" and "you and DH" time in these coming weeks. :)

Will you stop working when you have baby, or do you mean freedom from work during your winter break?

#38 of 50 Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 AM

HUGS Elonwy!  I can't believe there will be a "time without work" in my future.  I have a similar situation in that my co. is going through a merger but I pretty much found out it's going to work out as I want it to, rather than not.  I have been stressing about the uncertainty and definitely ended up in sobbing mode more than once.

However, after 1/1, I'll be getting a raise, working normal (full time) hours through end of Feb, then going down to part time till maternity leave, and coming back at part time which is what I want... and a lot of those hours will be from home.  So my stress was all for naught, but I totally understand and hope you have a restful winter break.

TODAY is the 18.5 week sonogram folks!!!  I've had a headache for 24 hours and I think I'm a little anxious but all in all I'm feeling really positive and can't wait to see the little one.  My fundus is almost to my belly button so I think the dating sonogram was right (pushing me ahead).  We'll see today.  DH is coming with me to sonogram and doc apt and blood draw today which is so wonderful - he worked hard to get work done to be able to make it.  And then we're going to go get a little outfit for the little one.  Open your legs little one so we can get you a cute outfit and start calling you by your name!!!

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#39 of 50 Old 12-09-2010, 06:22 AM

have fun, anacona!~

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#40 of 50 Old 12-09-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaconda View Post

HUGS Elonwy!  I can't believe there will be a "time without work" in my future.  I have a similar situation in that my co. is going through a merger but I pretty much found out it's going to work out as I want it to, rather than not.  I have been stressing about the uncertainty and definitely ended up in sobbing mode more than once.

However, after 1/1, I'll be getting a raise, working normal (full time) hours through end of Feb, then going down to part time till maternity leave, and coming back at part time which is what I want... and a lot of those hours will be from home.  So my stress was all for naught, but I totally understand and hope you have a restful winter break.

TODAY is the 18.5 week sonogram folks!!!  I've had a headache for 24 hours and I think I'm a little anxious but all in all I'm feeling really positive and can't wait to see the little one.  My fundus is almost to my belly button so I think the dating sonogram was right (pushing me ahead).  We'll see today.  DH is coming with me to sonogram and doc apt and blood draw today which is so wonderful - he worked hard to get work done to be able to make it.  And then we're going to go get a little outfit for the little one.  Open your legs little one so we can get you a cute outfit and start calling you by your name!!!

Here's wishing your u/s and appt go great! We have the little tradition of going and buying an outfit for the baby after we find out the sex too. Hope you have a nice day!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#41 of 50 Old 12-09-2010, 08:51 AM

thanks busymom and evergreen!!!flowersforyou.gif

#42 of 50 Old 12-09-2010, 09:17 AM

Thanks everyone, I'm feel much less AAAAAA!!!! today.

MamaChef- I'm planning on not coming back to work after May. Hopefully my DH will graduate and get a post-doc job and all will go as planned. I plan on doing absolutely nothing except drive to our rented cabin in the redwoods over the Christmas break. Then I am going to sit in front of the fire and read a book and snuggle with my husband.

Annaconda- Have fun!!

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#43 of 50 Old 12-09-2010, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

i quickly skimmed this thread on my way out the door and just wanted to say i love you ladies!! i'm so happy to be getting to know you. sorry to everyone who is sick and has family under the weather and hooray to those hearing heartbeats and seeing ultrasounds and finding out the sex! mamachef - what's your username over on craftster? i am ADDICTED to craftster....lol. i'm ryepie over there. i haven't posted much in the last year but i read a lot...i should really start putting up the stuff i make. my favourite craftster to stalk is vegbee...man she makes amazing things for her kids.

okay i'm out the door. phew! have a good day everyone! enjoy your families!

mama to 8 year old h  and 3 year old z

#44 of 50 Old 12-09-2010, 04:13 PM

annaconda,

Woohoo for getting to buy little boy stuff :)  Hope you found an adorable outfit today to celebrate :)

rylee,

I dont have a username on craftster, I just stalk the site. :)  I think Ill sign up though after I finish my felt ornaments Im hoping to get out to a few folks this year.  I making DH a guitar.  Matroyshka dolls for a couple friends and pregnant matroyshka dolls for my midwife and mentor midwife.  Im sending my mom and mil felt hands from DD with some embroidery on them and making one for our tree too. Ill start working on a felt nativity set of ornaments for DD and the new baby.  I figure Ill make them atleast one character every year, and even some animals and then when they are older they will have a bunch of ornaments for their tree. Id also like to make an ornament every year depending on what they are into.  I saw some super cute wii and nintendo controller ornaments on craftster.  I can see ballet shoes and basketballs.. cell phones (LOL).. Love felt ornaments because you can make them so quickly.  I like bringing embroidery stuff to church and I can usually finish an ornament a service.

ETA.. if anyone makes gingerbread houses this recipe is SOOOOOOOOO good. I cut the nutmeg and cloves and just used half a tsp of allspice instead.

Gingerbread Cookie Dough     350 degree oven

4 Tablespoons dark molasses
2 Tablespoons water
2 eggs
Mix these three ingredients together.

61/2 Cups all purpose flour
2 Teaspoons baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
3 Cups lightly packed brown sugar
4 Teaspoons cinnamon
2 Tablespoons ginger
1 Teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg

1 Pound soft butter

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Pour molasses mixture into flour mixture and add butter. Mix and stir (hands work best)
until dough comes together. Put dough on a clean, lightly floured surface and knead for about 4 minutes. Dough should be soft and completely mixed- no butter streaks!
Divide dough into workable slabs and cover with plastic wrap.
For cutter cookies; roll out dough to about 1/4 to 1/8 an inch thick. (run a floured spatula under the dough to keep it from sticking to the surface)
Flour your cutters, cut shapes and transfer to a baking sheet with a spatula. No distortion that way.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes depending on how hot your oven is.
For houses; I roll out the dough the same way as for cookies, making sure that it is on the thinner side (1/4 inch) this dough
will rise slightly, then settle, so if you roll too thick, the windows and such that you cut out will not be exactly straight. They will hold their shape but will be a little
smaller. To counter this I take the house out of the oven half way through and re-cut the things that are looking like they are getting lost, then pop it back in the oven.
A good tip with this dough is if you refrigerate it overnight, then let it come to room temp naturally (no microwaving) the next day, it tends to stay more stable than it would if you use it right away. it will also darken up a bit more.
It's very good for eating and if you like it spicier, add a little Cayenne pepper to the dry ingredients.

#45 of 50 Old 12-10-2010, 06:43 AM

We're getting to a really exciting point in our pregnancies. Known girls and boys seem to be about even.

I'm having a nausea resurgence and am kind of scared. It's not bad but just as I was taking the last bite of my sandwich yesterday I realized- OMG this is deli meat Aughhhh! Although, I did eat deli meat all the tiem when I was pg with dd1 and never had a problem.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#46 of 50 Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 AM

Hi friends!

It took 3 techs and 50 minutes to find out the sex!  Hilarious!  Baby is head down, nice and active, looks like he'll maybe have my DH's aquiline nose.

They were feeling girl at about 60% then the tech was done, trainee was poking around... the tech said WAIT STOP I think I saw something!  Then they brought a third tech in and turned me on my side to get the baby to move - and he cooperated.  All else was completely routine and quick just as you wish it would be.  We got a few cheapie onesies that I'm sure the baby will outgrow in like a month but who cares.  It was symbolic!

I feel more pregnant today.  I am so grateful to have gotten a peek at what's going on inside as this is my first and I have a loose idea.  Anyway, it's going to be a great weekend.  Lots of social visits, lots of friend-y energy, and we're going to get a tree.

(((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) all around mamas!

#47 of 50 Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaconda View Post

Hi friends!

It took 3 techs and 50 minutes to find out the sex!  Hilarious!  Baby is head down, nice and active, looks like he'll maybe have my DH's aquiline nose.

They were feeling girl at about 60% then the tech was done, trainee was poking around... the tech said WAIT STOP I think I saw something!  Then they brought a third tech in and turned me on my side to get the baby to move - and he cooperated.  All else was completely routine and quick just as you wish it would be.  We got a few cheapie onesies that I'm sure the baby will outgrow in like a month but who cares.  It was symbolic!

I feel more pregnant today.  I am so grateful to have gotten a peek at what's going on inside as this is my first and I have a loose idea.  Anyway, it's going to be a great weekend.  Lots of social visits, lots of friend-y energy, and we're going to get a tree.

(((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) all around mamas!

Hi Ladies!

MamaChef - Those pjs turned out awesome! They look so cozy and warm! And, the gingerbread recipe sounds so yummy.

Evergreen - I keep having these little, subtle waves of nausea come and go, maybe once a week or so and doesn't last long. It's not nearly as bad as the 1st trimester but still, I'm like, "when is this going away for good already!?!". And.. confession... I eat deli meat.redface.gif

Annaconda- Congratulations on a boy, and yeah for the rest of the u/s going well!!

AFM - I had my first prenatal with my midwives yesterday. I just love them, and it was nice to see them all again. This is my 7th pregnancy going there, and I love how laid back they are with me. We heard baby's heartbeat right away, it was 144. After the appt we went to eat and then did some Christmas shopping. It was a good day! We did school this morning, and now we're taking the rest of the day off and cleaning house/catching up laundry, and I'm getting in the attic and pulling out the baby boy clothes and our cloth diapers. Can't wait to see the tiny little fluff again!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#48 of 50 Old 12-10-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post

Evergreen - I keep having these little, subtle waves of nausea come and go, maybe once a week or so and doesn't last long. It's not nearly as bad as the 1st trimester but still, I'm like, "when is this going away for good already!?!". And.. confession... I eat deli meat.redface.gif

AFM - I had my first prenatal with my midwives yesterday. I just love them, and it was nice to see them all again. This is my 7th pregnancy going there, and I love how laid back they are with me. We heard baby's heartbeat right away, it was 144. After the appt we went to eat and then did some Christmas shopping. It was a good day! We did school this morning, and now we're taking the rest of the day off and cleaning house/catching up laundry, and I'm getting in the attic and pulling out the baby boy clothes and our cloth diapers. Can't wait to see the tiny little fluff again!

yeah. I wish it would go away but since it is soo soo sooo much better than it was I'm going to take what I can get with only minimal complaining.

Congrats on your prenatal appt. I have one Monday (with my mw) and another Friday (with the back up OB's Np).

#49 of 50 Old 12-11-2010, 10:16 AM

mamachef - that sounds like a great recipe!  i might try it next week with dd.  

annaconda - congrats on the little boy!  how exciting that everyone who wants to is starting to find out!  

boing weekend planned for us.  my husband has a final and originally planned to take it this morning but he's been so busy at work he's decided to study all day today and take it tomorrow.  so dd and i are doing nothing today.  i'm starting to stress about christmas since i'm not finished with my shopping yet once again.  every year i have these brilliant plans to do all my shopping before december but every year we're running out the week of christmas to get most of the presents.  i hate it.  i can't wait until christmas is actually here so i can relax!

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

#50 of 50 Old 12-12-2010, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

next week's chat

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page