Colostrum at <18 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I couldn't believe it.  Last night (17 weeks 5 days) I was sitting in bed reading Harry Potter aloud to DH & I, when my bare arm brushed something damp on my shirt. I thought to myself "That's odd. I brushed my teeth & washed my face 20 minutes ago so any water I might have dripped ought to be dry by now"  then "Wait a second, it's kinda sticky"  then "Wait a second, it's coming from my nipple?"  I couldn't focus on reading anymore (lol!) so dropped the book and told DH "Well, I might not feel very pregnant at this point, but apparently my body is still cooking.  Look!"   I had a quarter-sized wet spot on my shirt.   I know you can start producing colostrum early, I just wasn't expecting it at less than 18 weeks, and to produce an actual wet spot on my shirt! It was only my right breast, and now I'm waiting for some 'evidence' that the left breast is 'all-systems go'.  My left nipple has always been flat, and although it did pop in early pregnancy, it is still a little odd-looking (there is a big 'crack' across the middle of it - always has been). I know it's totally within the realm of normal though if I only leak from one or the other during pregnancy, and am still trusting that my breasts will figure out what they're supposed to do in time!

#2 of 24 Old 12-10-2010, 05:48 AM

don't think i'm getting colustrum just yet or at least i'm not leaking any yet , but everyone is different so i guess your just the lucky one who'll need breast pads early lol congratulations

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#3 of 24 Old 12-10-2010, 07:40 AM

I haven't felt anything wet but what I did notice was sort of dried crusty on my nips.  Maybe some slight leakage.  I only finished weaning DD2 about 6 weeks ago so figured that was the reason.

#4 of 24 Old 12-10-2010, 02:40 PM

I had it leaking at about that time with my first as well.  It was shocking to me too.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#5 of 24 Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 PM

yeah i haven't noticed any leaking yet but my nipples are coated in dried colostrum all the time! 

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#6 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee View Post

yeah i haven't noticed any leaking yet but my nipples are coated in dried colostrum all the time! 

yeahthat.gif  And, I have felt letdown several times so far.  It's getting me a little excited ... breastfeeding might actually WORK this time. 

DD#1 dust.gif (May '08); new sweet baby girl (May '11) vbac.gif
#7 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 08:07 PM

I can't remember when I start leaking.. but I know it's early.  With my first pregnancy I used to soak the bedsheets at night!  It was crazy..  surprisingly though sucessive pregnancies have just shown the occasional leak or slight crusty issue. 

I did want to share this link I found about pregnancy at 16 weeks.. it mentions your Colostrum may start  as early as 16 weeks:  http://3dpregnancy.parentsconnect.com/calendar/16-weeks-pregnant.html

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#8 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 09:01 PM

I've been getting the crusties as if colostrum is coming out, but I'm not noticing it. TMI but DH says there's none coming out even with 'effort'. ;) My breasts are so swollen I can't squeeze to check, but I'm assuming they're empty. If that's the case it'll be the first time they've been milkless in over 8 years. I had milk when I started this pregnancy, despite having not nursed in almost a year and a half!

With my first pregnancy I got milk by 16 weeks, not a lot but a little like the OP is describing. :)

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#9 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 09:46 PM

I had drips of colostrum at 16 weeks with my first pregnancy as well!

Now at 19 weeks? I just have the crusties. Very weird. I can pick them out of my milk ducts.....TMI? LOL!!!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#10 of 24 Old 12-12-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb9906 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee View Post

yeahthat.gif  And, I have felt letdown several times so far.  It's getting me a little excited ... breastfeeding might actually WORK this time. 

I just recently felt the "let down." It was rather gripping because I had to lay down for a while because it was kind of painful. It was then that I remembered "Oh yeah, my breasts are producing milk." LOL It is rather exciting!

#11 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 04:20 PM

I had my first "leak" last night, which was rather surprising to me. I woke up with, I assume colostrum, crusted to my boob and arm. And only from one boob. Is that normal?

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#12 of 24 Old 12-14-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1140 View Post

I had my first "leak" last night, which was rather surprising to me. I woke up with, I assume colostrum, crusted to my boob and arm. And only from one boob. Is that normal?

From what I've read, leaking from one is normal... leaking from both is normal... leaking from neither is normal...!

I haven't leaked since, but have had 'the dried crusties' on both nipples which is encouraging to me! :)

#13 of 24 Old 02-03-2011, 03:47 PM

I started noticing very little nipple crusties at about 23 weeks, right around the time that my "morning" sickness finally started letting up.

And now if I squeeze on my boobs at all little tear drops come out. And because this is my first, I got totally freaked out and felt like a superhero all rolled into one emotion the first time it happened.

I wonder if there is any correlation between early colostrum and a good milk supply later on? I hope so. I'll take anything that might make breastfeeding easier.

#14 of 24 Old 02-04-2011, 01:40 PM

I definitely have crusties on the nips..it's part of my shower routine to scrape it off LOL..perhaps that will toughen them up a bit?? 

#15 of 24 Old 02-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&K'smommie View Post

I had it leaking at about that time with my first as well.  It was shocking to me too.

I started leaking about this time as well. Only, I had no idea it could even happen at all. Totally shocked me. 
I don't think I stopped playing around with my nips for like, 15 minutes or so after I noticed it! ROTFLMAO.gif Hubs was all "what are you doing?" and I was like "I can't help it, this is so fascinating!".

So far, I just leak (well, enough to actually notice) now and again, but I definitely notice the crust pretty much every day. I leaked onto my shirt a bit the other day while napping, and I think it was mostly due to how I was laying on my side, since it was just a wee bit and has only happened the once. Haha, this pregnancy business is just nutty. 

Dani - madly in love with Neil. Lost our little twins brokenheart.gif brokenheart.gif (6/10). So excited to meet our baby girl Ember rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gif in May!

#16 of 24 Old 02-04-2011, 03:49 PM

So, if I'm being totally honest, I have to admit that about once a day I sqeeze on my boobs/nips just to make sure they still are producing. twins.gif

#17 of 24 Old 02-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyNichole View Post

So, if I'm being totally honest, I have to admit that about once a day I sqeeze on my boobs/nips just to make sure they still are producing. twins.gif

redface.gif me too!

Dani - madly in love with Neil. Lost our little twins brokenheart.gif brokenheart.gif (6/10). So excited to meet our baby girl Ember rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gif in May!

#18 of 24 Old 02-05-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danilouwho View Post

Quote:

redface.gif me too!

whistling.gif

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#19 of 24 Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 AM

Oh ladies, I'm so glad to hear that I am not alone in this.

The other weekend it was my birthday. I wanted to do nothing but just relax all day. So, its about 9pm and my husband and I are chilling on the couch. Now, i'm only in a tshirt because, pants just seemed like a bit much and every bra I owned was too small and not worth the effort for watching a movie. Also, my husband is hoping for a little birthday fun, so to speak.

Well, i was feeling huge, my boobs hurt, and all of the sudden I noticed these wet spots on my shirt. There was a slight freak out moment. My husband just laughed as I sat their wet. Needless to say, I wasn't in the mood for anything at that point. 

Then, the doorbell rang.  

We were not expecting company. The only way I could make it upstairs to our room to put on more clothes was by passing by our front door. I can only imagine the look on my face as I told my husband we are not to make a sound or turn on any lights. Whoever was out there better just go away!

After a few minutes, he went to see if anyone was still there. Turns out it was his best friend and his wife. They dropped off a card for my birthday. It was such a nice thought, but I still haven't explained why we didn't answer the door. Once they are pregnant, I can't wait to share this story with them! Its funny now, although I didn't feel that way that night!

#20 of 24 Old 02-07-2011, 01:24 PM

I had a freak out moment around 18 weeks when I took off my bra and saw wet spots... I immediately googled it and then called my mom:) It seems to switch between breasts, and some days I don't even have crusties. I'm hoping this is a good sign that I'll have a great milk supply since I'll have two to nurse!

And...hahaha... I forgot to warn my husband... He gave them a big ol' squeeze and freaked out when he saw the colostrum!!! He has barely touched them since :P

#21 of 24 Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranolaGal View Post

I had a freak out moment around 18 weeks when I took off my bra and saw wet spots... I immediately googled it and then called my mom:) It seems to switch between breasts, and some days I don't even have crusties. I'm hoping this is a good sign that I'll have a great milk supply since I'll have two to nurse!

And...hahaha... I forgot to warn my husband... He gave them a big ol' squeeze and freaked out when he saw the colostrum!!! He has barely touched them since :P

My HD has been VERY wary of "the girls" since I told him that I can squeeze it out. I think he's sad. I'm pretty sure he thought he at least had the entire pregnancy to say good-bye. orngtongue.gif

#22 of 24 Old 02-08-2011, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeah.... you're not the only one..... redface.gif

#23 of 24 Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 PM

I have been leaking for over a month now, and my boobs are soooo sore, but only one at a time. Im thinking clogged milk ducts? It hurts so badly. 

heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
#24 of 24 Old 02-09-2011, 09:21 AM

I don't leak at all during preg. No colostrum, no swelling, no nothing...

If I hadn't nursed DD, I would be scared that the things didn't work.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page