crib bedding, organic? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-11-2010, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, my DH and both seem to want to have an equal opinion about bedding for our little girl's room, but we have a hard time agreeing on stuff like that. He's so not your typical guy, he is so into decorating, and decor it's funny. Anyway, we found one last night we like. I originally wanted to do pink, but all the pink ones I saw were too "girly" and TOO pink. We found this one :http://www.babysupermall.com/main/products/coc/coc7033-834.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ComparativeShopping

and we both love it(I don't love the price, but we spent a lot last time too), but then I started thinking, should I buy organic bedding? I mean we didn't with DS, but we bought him an organic crib mattress. All the organic bedding I'm finding is so boring and plain though, so aside from buying my own organic fabric, learning to sew and making my own, I don't think we'll do it. Do you all think that just having an organic sheet on the mattress is good enough? Also, DS's crib mattress was 300 dollars, which my brother bought for us, otherwise it wouldn't have happened. DS is still in a toddler bed, so we'll probably have to buy another crib mattress. Can you get organic mattress toppers so it makes the generic mattress less "bad?" If this post doesn't belong in here, feel free to move it, but I wanted to get my DDC girls' opinions first! Oh, and after the ultrasound yesterday, she said I wasn't as far along as they though..19 weeks 2 days instead of 19 weeks 6 days. TIA!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#2 of 8 Old 12-13-2010, 10:26 AM

The fumes from the cheapy mattresses are bad. I'd spend at least $100 if I were you. I found this one for about that... Ihttp://www.walmart.com/ip/Sealy-Naturalis-Organic-Cotton-Crib-Mattress/10379653

There are some things it could improve on according to the reviews, but I can't afford anything fancier and it doesn't stink of chemicals like my cheapy one I had with my first boy. Also, I like the mattress and my son does as well. I don't see the point in bothering with organic bedding. Maybe I'm wrong? I just think, if you wash it in a good detergent the chemicals used to process it will go bye bye. I think that organic bedding and clothing has more to do with being eco-friendly. I'm OK with that but I'm not rich and can't afford organic everything or fair-trade everything as much as I would love to - I'm assuming it's the same for you.

EDIT:

This was something I found necessary with a crib myself. I don't know if you ever had your other little guy get his legs stuck in the crib. My first got his stuck all the time and he'd scream and it was hard for me to get his little legs out, so scary but I found this to be helpful... http://www.amazon.com/BreathableBaby-CribShield-Mesh-Liner-White/dp/B0013FKUW4

Since using that, my second boy never got his legs stuck. It works like a charm. You could get two in case baby were to throw up all over it or something. But, you could get by with one if you wouldn't mind taking it out to wash it and leaving baby without it for just a little bit. That's probably what I'd do. 

**Also, the ultrasound doesn't necessarily change anything because they can be off by up to 2 weeks. But, if you are someone who tends to go over your due date it could be useful to say nothing about it, but if you were someone who tends to go a bit early it could be a bit more of a problem since at 37 weeks they'd think you were closer to 36 and probably freak that your baby is a preemie and try to stop your labor and stuff. I tend to go before 40 weeks myself and all naturally. So, it depends on you. But yeah, baby growth varies and ultrasounds are not 100% accurate.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#3 of 8 Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 PM

Unless you get an organic mattress free of flame retardants wrap your mattress in polyethelene

http://www.cure-guide.com/Natural_Health_Newsletter/Baby_Bedding___SIDS/baby_bedding___sids.html

It costs less then 10 bucks and there have been several studies on it helping reduce SID rates. 

This is also a great mattress

http://www.naturepedic.com/products/mattresses/classic_organic_crib_mattress.php

The flame retardants are standard in children's bedding in some states but not adult bedding.  I wouldnt buy bedding for my baby commercially, personally.  I wouldnt worry so much about organic vs non organic as flame retardants.  I think the label is supposed to say if it has flame retardant or not. You cant really completely wash off flame retardant.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.
#4 of 8 Old 12-13-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mamachef, I think Naturpedic is the one we got for our first kiddo. I just can't justify spending the money again! ugh it was expensive.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#5 of 8 Old 12-13-2010, 02:34 PM

They are really expensive :(  Im glad DD is done with hers.  If she wasnt Id just buy a quality mattress and let it air out in the garage unwrapped for as long as possible before baby came... wouldnt care alot about the organic thing since commercially sold mattresses are doused in flame retardants and wrap it.

#6 of 8 Old 12-18-2010, 09:04 PM

Think about how much time your child spends every day with his/her little face pressed up against the mattress and sheets, breathing in whatever the mattress is potentially off gassing. The kids mattresses are one area I won't compromise on. They are crazy expensive but who know what health concerns etc you might save them from in the future (and possibly the expenses that would incur.)

And as for the Sealy mattress above it just says it is made with organic cotton. That doesn't really mean anything as far as I am concerned. What else is it made with?? It's a lot like Huggies Naturals diapers made with organic cotton. They aren't really organic they just throw some organic cotton in the mix. Greenwashing!! The Sealy mattress says it easily wipes clean... um how? Clearly plastic covered. It says phthalate compliant. Which tells me it's made from PVC (think smelly shower curtains with loads of off-gassing), aka vinyl. I read a few of the reviews that back this up and say it's also 51% polyester 49 % cotton. Clearly polyester is not organic either. Just remember to really read labels and ask questions from the manufacturer.

Just my opinion of course but given the vast number of hours your child will most likely be spending on his/her mattress, I can't justify compromising here no matter how much it hurts financially. And when we needed a second crib/toddler mattress I went with a futon style one instead of another Naturepedic one because it was cheaper and gave the softer futon style one to the toddler as I think infants need a nice firm mattress. I think I actually might have even snagged it off of craigslist as well.

And as far as fashion is concerned, having plain organic pink sheets with other accessories in the room shouldn't make a difference to the cuteness factor of the room.

Jess ~mom to DS1 8/05, DS2 6/07, DD 7/09 and one surprise 5/11!
Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.
#7 of 8 Old 12-18-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

I just think, if you wash it in a good detergent the chemicals used to process it will go bye bye. I think that organic bedding and clothing has more to do with being eco-friendly. 

I was thinking this also.  As far as I know, mostly all of the benefits of growing cotton organically are for the environment.  After several washings I don't think I'd consider conventional bedding "dangerous" or not as good in any way.  On the other hand, what good would organic bedding be if someone were washing with a nasty chemical like Tide?  I prefer buying organic for the eco-impact but only when there's room in the budget.

Blissful wife & momma, so in love w/DD 5.2.2011 & DS 10.31.13 homebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif 
#8 of 8 Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodbri View Post

Think about how much time your child spends every day with his/her little face pressed up against the mattress and sheets, breathing in whatever the mattress is potentially off gassing. The kids mattresses are one area I won't compromise on. They are crazy expensive but who know what health concerns etc you might save them from in the future (and possibly the expenses that would incur.)

And as for the Sealy mattress above it just says it is made with organic cotton. That doesn't really mean anything as far as I am concerned. What else is it made with?? It's a lot like Huggies Naturals diapers made with organic cotton. They aren't really organic they just throw some organic cotton in the mix. Greenwashing!! The Sealy mattress says it easily wipes clean... um how? Clearly plastic covered. It says phthalate compliant. Which tells me it's made from PVC (think smelly shower curtains with loads of off-gassing), aka vinyl. I read a few of the reviews that back this up and say it's also 51% polyester 49 % cotton. Clearly polyester is not organic either. Just remember to really read labels and ask questions from the manufacturer.

Just my opinion of course but given the vast number of hours your child will most likely be spending on his/her mattress, I can't justify compromising here no matter how much it hurts financially. And when we needed a second crib/toddler mattress I went with a futon style one instead of another Naturepedic one because it was cheaper and gave the softer futon style one to the toddler as I think infants need a nice firm mattress. I think I actually might have even snagged it off of craigslist as well.

And as far as fashion is concerned, having plain organic pink sheets with other accessories in the room shouldn't make a difference to the cuteness factor of the room.

I was more concerned with off-gassing. There has been no off-gassing with the Sealy mattress I have and I absolutely didn't have the money for the more expensive mattress. I agree with you for the OP that it's not necessary to have that fancy bedding and a room can be just as cute with stuff that is much less expensive. For one, little babies don't need blankets and the mesh "bumpers" like I linked to are preferred over the squishy ones for safety. I think safety should come before style but I think you could definitely make an adorable room while being safety and budget conscious. 

EDIT:

Here's the part of the Sealy mattress' description that attracted me most 

Quote:
Entire mattress is phthalate compliant and does not contain toxic fire retardants or chemicals

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page