Baby Names! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh man, is anyone else having such a hard time coming up with names? I love so many, but I feel like none are 'good enough' for my little baby. nut.gif

For a girl, I am kind of loving Evelina/Evalina (Ev-uh-leen-uh) because I could call her Eva, Evie, Lina, etc. (I love nicknames) Thoughts?

What names have you guys picked out for your bebes?

heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
#2 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 12:50 PM

we're having a hard time coming up with boys names that we like.  although, we're probably just going to go with the name we had picked the first time around (if dd had been a ds) which was after my uncle.

there are quite a few girls names we both like, but none that we're over the moon about (like we were about dd's name when we came up with it).  

dh, dd and i all have monosyllabic names (well, the names we go by anyway) and we're leaning towards another for this baby which has also been a little tricky.  

also, dh is an "r", i'm an "s" and dd is a "t", so we were thinking about continuing with the alphabet, but there aren't any "u" names that we like.  someone suggested we go the other way with a "q" name.  we like quin or quinn for a girl (which also meets our monosyllabic preference).

finally, dh, dd and i each have 16 letters total in our first, middle and last names, so i'd like to continue that trend as well.

i know, it's all rather silly.

btw - love the name evalina/evelina for a girl and all the possible variations.  eve is on our girl list.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#3 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Wow you have a lot of trends to go by :) My SO & I both have a middle name that starts with J, so I might continue with that, but I am not sure.

I really love Eve too, it's lovely.

heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
#4 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Need Coffee View Post

Wow you have a lot of trends to go by :)

i know.  it's pretty ridiculous and we probably won't hit them all, but it's just something we're thinking about.  we will probably definitely go with the monosyllabic name and ignore the other stuff. 

especially if we go with the plan to name our son after my uncle (who was more like a father to me).  uncle's name was michael jude, but we plan to flip it around and go with jude michael (there are a couple other michaels in my family already).  jude michael fits the monosyllabic trend, but not the others.

didn't plan the trend with dd.  just noticed after she was born (and named) that we were r,s,t and that we all had the same amount of letters in our names.

any boy names you like?  i like the idea of continuing with the "j" middle name.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#5 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 01:47 PM

i have girls names that i am in love with but i can't for the life of me come up with any good boys names!  everything i like is already taken by someone close to us or super, super popular or taken over by the females and i just can't name a baby boy a unisex name.  not sure why.  i've finally given up looking unless we find out that we are actually having a boy.

we know that we are using my mil's maiden name, York, for the middle since she only has sisters and the name is dying out.  it's my dh's middle name and it's really important to him to pass it on.  at first we thought that we would only use it for a boy but it sounds great with both of the girl names so we'll use it either way.  

i like the idea of continuing with "j" middle name too and i LOVE all the nicknames for evalina!  and if you can come up with a name that fits all your criteria, samstress, that would be very cool.  i love when names have something in common, as long as it isn't super obvious!

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

#6 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAgreenmama View Post

i love when names have something in common, as long as it isn't super obvious!

me too.  something in common that no one knows (unless you point it out to them). 

LOVE your middle name york tradition. 

we've actually consider giving this baby (if it's a girl) the same middle name (amelia) that dd has only because we love it so much.  would that be silly?

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#7 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 PM

We've picked a girls and boys name already
Ebony Jade Melissa and Xander Nathaniel Lee smile.gif

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#8 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 04:07 PM

We have a name!  It actually came down to a coin toss, because there were 2 names that DH and I both loved.  We just couldn't choose, so we flipped a quarter.  We're keeping the name a secret until she's born, though. smile.gif

DD#1 dust.gif (May '08); new sweet baby girl (May '11) vbac.gif
#9 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:

For a girl, I am kind of loving Evelina/Evalina (Ev-uh-leen-uh) because I could call her Eva, Evie, Lina, etc. (I love nicknames) Thoughts?

I really like Evelina!

#10 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Oh man, is anyone else having such a hard time coming up with names? I love so many, but I feel like none are 'good enough' for my little baby. nut.gif

What names have you guys picked out for your bebes?

my middle name is evelyn :)

i recently met a little girl named evangeline (evan-gel-een) and i LOVE that name. 

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#11 of 24 Old 12-12-2010, 08:43 AM

Our girl name I am very happy with, it is Imogen Lehua , which means "maiden sacred to the gods". For our boy name we are having more trouble. I had initially picked Liam Malcolm, but then saw a show on TV which a kidnapped boy named Liam which freaked me out (totally irrational, but isn't that part of pregnancy?) and then found out that Liam is one of the top ten baby names last year and I try really hard to stay out of the top 500. So....

Currently we're mulling around with Fionntán Malcolm ( I definitely like Malcolm as a middle name). It's pronounced Fin tan. My husband doesn't like the accent, but my argument is that a) he doesn't have to use it b) this has gotten way easier, especially in the areas we end up living and c) I think it's awesome.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#12 of 24 Old 12-12-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elonwy View Post

Our girl name I am very happy with, it is Imogen Lehua

Rah! My favourite thing about being named Imogen is that there were lots of cute nicknames when I was little (Immy, Imma, Moggy), but I also feel like I have a dignified grown up name as an adult.

#13 of 24 Old 12-12-2010, 12:36 PM

Girl names: Sophie, Isolde, Emmeline, Amelia, Ava

Boy names: Dale, Liam, Avery, Levi

Regardless of gender, we like the middle name Wren. I think it's looking like Amelia Wren or Avery Wren.

#14 of 24 Old 12-12-2010, 12:42 PM

Our girl name is definitely Elliana Hope

Boys

Judah (no idea on middle)

or

Noah Bradley

#15 of 24 Old 12-12-2010, 05:42 PM

I've had a girls name picked out for a while. Deniza, which was my great-grandma's name. For a middle name I might go with June which is my Aunt's middle name.

I named my oldest son Jaxon not knowing how popular it was so I am really trying to not do that again. (although I do still really like the name Jaxon despite it's popularity) I can't even find Deniza on any baby name list so I think it will be ok.

For a boy I like Elias. I know Eli is popular but I haven't heard of any Elias's. Don't have a boys middle name picked out yet.

love.gifSara, mom to J (10/06) H (10/08) and E (5/11) love.gif

#16 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 07:53 AM

Since we're not finding out the sex of the baby we're having to pick several names.

I've picked out a girl's first and middle name, but haven't decided if I am going to give her a 2nd middle name of which is my maiden name. Since my dad didn't have any boys, our first child (who is a boy) is named after my DH who is a Jr. so DS is the III, but he has my maiden name as a 2nd middle name just as a way to honor my dad and my side of the family. We don't know if we're going to do that or not if the baby is a girl.

Also my DH has a 6 yo DS who has my DH's initials so if the baby is a boy we may go with that trend since 2 out of 3 of his boys have his initials MLD (of course with the exception of DS the III who has an extra initial - I hope that makes sense!!! LOL).

I don't necessarily know if I want my girl to have my middle name or my initials. I haven't decided yet.

We haven't even talked about boys' names yet, so we'll see!

#17 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 08:11 AM

We are not finding out gender either so have to pick boy and girl names. My husband is from Tehran,Iran- Persian so he would like to have a Persian name for the baby.  My issue is that most persian names are not very easy to spell or pronounce for Americans.  I am all about embracing his culture and we do in so many other ways but we've struggled picking out a name as I want the name to be easy to pronounce and spell.  It can be truely Persian but not a name that the child will regret having- kwim?  We both loved the girl name Zahra but the Persian pronunciation is very different from how the typical English speaking person would pronounce it so DH nixed it :(  I really liked Zahra Lynn.  Anyways.  I'm keeping our names secret as I just fear that DH will change his name again.

#18 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMT View Post

We are not finding out gender either so have to pick boy and girl names. My husband is from Tehran,Iran- Persian so he would like to have a Persian name for the baby.  My issue is that most persian names are not very easy to spell or pronounce for Americans.  I am all about embracing his culture and we do in so many other ways but we've struggled picking out a name as I want the name to be easy to pronounce and spell.  It can be truely Persian but not a name that the child will regret having- kwim?  We both loved the girl name Zahra but the Persian pronunciation is very different from how the typical English speaking person would pronounce it so DH nixed it :(  I really liked Zahra Lynn.  Anyways.  I'm keeping our names secret as I just fear that DH will change his name again.

hmm..my whole post dissappeared...

Anyway. How is Zahra pronounced in Persian?  I love the name, by the way ;)  My Zara is pronounced like the English Sara. But we are always correcting people that say Sara or Zahra (kind of like Laura..not sure how to write it out)

As far as this little one. DH loves the name Maia but we want it pronounced My-a. Any other alternative spellings? I'm not liking Maya that much....

DS-(1996), DSD-(2001), and our miracle baby girl-(7/7/09) and Always remembering my 3 brokenheart.gif angel babies
and cautiously due May 12, 2011!
#19 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 10:53 PM

Boy names are absolutely beyond difficult for us. Girl names a breeze. We are holding tight to the girl name we've had for 8 years and hoping we don't need to look for a boy one again, LOL

#20 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmom2 View Post

As far as this little one. DH loves the name Maia but we want it pronounced My-a. Any other alternative spellings? I'm not liking Maya that much....

We were liking Maia too but then I met three My-as in a week at two different play groups.  Evidently its a popular name in our area right now.  We also had a friend who just had a baby named Maia.  I swear Id never even heard the name until I fell in love with it.

Im sure it isnt the same in your area, I was actually talking to a friend in Dallas who has 3 kids and hasnt ever met a Maia/ Mya..  the only alternate spelling we say was Myah.  It's a beautiful name we still have it on the table as a middle if we fall out of love with Hope for some reason.

#21 of 24 Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:

i like it spelled maia.  for the record, i think i've only met one maya.  lovely name!

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#22 of 24 Old 12-14-2010, 06:40 AM

The Persian pronunciation is more like Zahhuru.  I can't spell it out properly but there is a pause in the middle as if an extra "h" sound is there.  Not a big deal to me but for some reason DH didn't like the English way of saying it which is like Sara with a Z.  Oh well :)  Glad you get to have  a Zara.

Quote:

Anyway. How is Zahra pronounced in Persian?   

#23 of 24 Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:

My dd's name is Maya and i love it :)  it is, however, far more popular than i thought when we chose it.  i've only met one other maya but i know of one other and my ped says he has several new mayas and we live in a small town!  that's disappointing but i still love the name.  as far as alternative spellings, i only know of maya, maia, mya and miah.  but people seem to confuse mia and maya a lot so i wonder if people sometimes pronounce mia as my-a?  she was once called may-a which i thought was strange... i've never heard anyone pronounce it that way. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post

we've actually consider giving this baby (if it's a girl) the same middle name (amelia) that dd has only because we love it so much.  would that be silly?

if you like the name, then go for it!  we actually used york as one of the twins middle names but that's different since he didn't survive.  and my bil has york as a middle name too but it was because he was upset as a child that his brother and his mother both had york in their names (parents separated when they were young and mil took her maiden name back).  mil officially added york to his name so he has two middle names now.  i would do it if i couldn't come up with anything i liked better. 

if we have girl she will be named either elana york or carys york.  probably elana but i love them both.  if we have a boy... i have no clue!!!

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

#24 of 24 Old 12-14-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMT View Post

hmm..my whole post dissappeared...

Anyway. How is Zahra pronounced in Persian?  I love the name, by the way ;)  My Zara is pronounced like the English Sara. But we are always correcting people that say Sara or Zahra (kind of like Laura..not sure how to write it out)

i have a 6 year old neice named maia and we pronounce it MY-AH

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page