weekly chat: dec 12th - dec 18th - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 12-16-2010, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MamaChef - I am catching up on posts and just read through yours.  I wish I had advice, but I really don't.  I think if it were me, I might just do the two biopsies.  Can they test you for titanium allergy to see if the procedure would be safe for you?  Please know you are in my prayers. I pray for peace, strength and healing.

Robin's wife, Harper's mommy, lifestyle and birth photographer, aspiring doula 
***4***8***12***16***20***belly.gif***28***32***36***40
#62 of 86 Old 12-16-2010, 10:02 AM

Crystalyn,

It's just one biopsy.  It's an ultrasound guided core biopsy where they make a 1/4 inch slit in the breast and put a hollow needle in to remove several samples of the mass.  Typically they then put a little piece of metal about the size of a sesame seed/grain of rice into where they biopsied.  Or maybe you meant you'd just do a biopsy in the future if you needed..

Unfortunately the only labs that do titanium allergy testing are in not located in the US.  It's a blood test and it's possible that I wouldnt even show a reaction at this point...or maybe even never  I have been really lucky compared to the rest of my family and actually have no allergies to anything that I know of... more of my worry is developing an allergy in the future that manifests nonclinically like my aunt's did as an autoimmune disorder.  They fought her for a long time on it being the titanium pin even though they knew she did test positive for allergy to many other metals.  Evidently in the medical world they think nobody is allergic to the titanium so they poo poo the possibility.

http://www.melisa.org/titanium-allergy.php

http://www.healthcentral.com/breast-cancer/c/question/95513/33627

Ive decided not to do the marker.  I think you hit it on the head, geekgolightly.  If I had it in Id be worried about if it was causing things.. when I was nursing Id worry did it cause a bout of mastitis.. did it cause my tiredness.. yadda yadda.  Radiologist isnt going to be excited but she said they cant make me get the marker but strongly advised it.  Oh well..

Gonna leave for the Anatomy scan in a little bit.  Praying that everything looks great.  Cant handle any more scares this week.

#63 of 86 Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 AM

reelgeek- that sounds awesome actually!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#64 of 86 Old 12-16-2010, 02:22 PM

Hugs to all that are going through various stresses...stress is hard enough in regular times, but when pregnant it takes an extra toll.

Mamachef, I hope today's anatomy scan goes great and maybe gets your mind off the other stuff, if only for a short while.  I have never heard of that titanium thing before...interesting, but I would totally have the same worries as you. 

AFM: I have my 20 week scan tomorrow.  I was hoping to have it maybe one more week from now, to avoid being told I have to go back in 2-3 weeks to get a better look (happened last time, they blamed it on me being overweight).  But I didn't bother trying to reschedule - it took 3 weeks and two phone calls nudging them to get this appointment, so I'm taking it. 

Oh, did I tell everyone that two weeks ago, I finally heard from the midwifery group, and I'm in?  I don't think I did!!!  I have my first appointment next week. 

Other than that, I can tell this babe has been growing bigger and stronger of late, because the thumps and bumps are getting much more noticeable and regular :)  LOVE that.  I can't wait for DH and the kids to be able to feel it from the outside!

#65 of 86 Old 12-16-2010, 02:27 PM

Much love to everyone. My horrible class is over, and we actually did really well on the final, despite the nightmares. Another group actually lived one of my nightmares, which was the group members not showing up. I have some papers to write and one last final on Saturday and school is over. I cannot wait.

Had another midwife appt yesterday. Listed with the doppler again and heard the heartbeat, though this time the critter was trying to swim away every time we listened. So cute. I have been instructed to slow down a bit, after relaying my schedule and what my work is like to the midwives. I also decided today that there will be no more ladder climbing for me, as I get far too dizzy (I often have to climb ladders to run cabling at my job). I will be delegating that from now on. 

I am feeling much better than I was Monday, and seriously looking forward to our babymoon.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#66 of 86 Old 12-16-2010, 04:37 PM

As far as the back sleeping goes, In the first trimester it didn't bother me, but now that I'm a little bigger, I've noticed I start to feel a little woozy, so I then shift to my side and I'm better. I figure that's my body's way of telling me not to sleep on my back! But, if you don't have any of those side effects, I don't see why it would hurt to sleep on your back.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#67 of 86 Old 12-16-2010, 07:03 PM

reelgeek, they do that at the local military hospital and all the navy wives I know love it.  I think it makes total sense to go through things as a group of women.  I hope that you make some great friendships along the way! Im so glad you had a good first appt!

jrsmom, Hope you are feeling better!!!

becca,  Im glad you have some shared ground with your mom.. but the thing is, who you are as a mother is a HUGE part of your life.. so all those crunchy aspects are important, you cant really excise them from the relationship and they arent her place to hassle you about.  At some point in the two of your relationship she must come to respect your choices in those arenas, or atleast to not let her negativity impact your relationship like it is.  She doesnt have to like the things you do, but she does have to respect you as an adult woman and mother to make the best decisions YOU can. 

I'd pay someone to watch my kids, any amount of money it took not to have that energy during birth.  Our mothers feelings are soooo hard to separate from our own and in such a vulnerable time, I just really worry for you.  VBAC adds such a level of complexity in the range of support that a woman needs emotionally.  The medical establishment is already hard enough, but we NEED to have the people we love - love us by supporting us and not bringing their own crap into the equation.  I hope that she can start behaving better soon so it becomes a nonissue, but do what you need to do to make sure it's what is best for you and baby.  Mom's are supposed to have egos strong enough to withstand their children doing what is BEST for them.  Im really hoping your talk after Christmas goes really well. 

When I told my mother I was going to have a baby (with DD) the first words out of her mouth were:  You arent still thinking about having a natural childbirth, are you?  You will never be able to do it.

My response was:  And that is exactly why you will be nowhere near me during birth. 

She was not pleased, but she knew it was her own crap that had made me make that decision.  She backed off.  Infact, nobody was allowed to even come for 2 weeks after the birth.  I know that when you live in the same town that is alot harder of a boundary.  But it sure has made her be mindful of the things she says to me since and me drawing those boundaries has made all of our interactions since alot more pleasant.  It's part of our individuation process as women/mothers/adult daughters.

You can expect and if you have to, demand, support or space.

Congrats on finding out the sex!!!  Woohoo!!  Shopping time ;)

Mrs. Bone, I hope your toddler is on the mend and makes a full recovery by Friday.

rylee,

Yay for finishing your papers! 

bluepetals,

If you did tell us, I totally didnt catch it!  So glad you got in with the midwives!  That must be such a stress relief.  Gosh, they make you wait a long time!  Dont they know us preggos are not patient?  Ill be thinking of you tomorrow and praying your anatomy scan goes well and they get everything they need to give the all clear.  Come on baby, be in a great position!

elonwy,

Yay for almost being done.  Sending you stamina ;)  Get thee off the ladders, crazy mama!  This is prime time preggo clutz part of pregnancy.  Seriously jealous of your cabin in the redwoods and crackling fire. Eye on the finish line ;)

AFM,

Anatomy scan was awesome everything looked perfect, my placenta is literally in the best place it could possibly be for a vbac, The exact top of my fundus, if it was going to migrate at all it would likely move very slightly posterior, not anterior.  Baby measured a week early, which is fine by me since I know the midwife isnt changing the date.  God brought me an angel U/S tech.  She was completely sweet, told us what she was seeing the whole time, chatted.. and asked me about my breast U/s since she saw I had it on my chart.  I told her about it and she is actually working at that clinic on Friday when I have my biopsy and she said she is going to see if she can be in there with me :)  So grateful.  She said she will definitely tell me honestly if she sees any areas of concern and make sure I have all the information instead of feeling so overwhelmed.  Im so grateful.  They dont let men come past the waiting room, so even though DH is coming with me, it sucks that I would have been alone with no friendly faces again.

Oh.. and IT'S A GIRL!  Im really excited.  I wanted a girl at first because I always had wanted a sister... then my pregnancy was so different then DD that I had to really consider how I would feel if it was a boy.  There were definite pluses to it as it was sweet to me to think of having the experience of both a boy and a girl.. and it felt like my relationship with DD would stay "unique".... I know I know, every kid is unique relationship wise, but this baby wasnt planned and I kind of mourned the loss of my only child relationship with DD at the beginning... but really, Im just over the moon that DD gets to experience having a sister.. and having two doesnt feel so overwhelming because atleast Ive done some of it before ;)

Anyway, great day today.. 

Tomorrow at 3 is the biopsy, Ill know something by end of day wed.. I hope all the days between now and then go as fast as today did.  LOL.

#68 of 86 Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 PM

Mamachef- My thoughts are with you....thankfully sounds like good news so far. I think the clip sounds like a bad idea in your scenario. Did you tell the doc about your family hx of metal allergy?

ReelGeek- that group sounds so awesome. Why oh why dont I live somewhere like San Fran??? eyesroll.gif

#69 of 86 Old 12-16-2010, 08:16 PM

MamaChef: congrats on such a great anatomy scan.  And a double congrats on joining the pink team.  I have two daughters- 6yrs old and 3yrs old.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  My two girls are as different as night and day and I appreciate so many different aspects of their personality.  Yes, they are sisters and love one another.  They insist on sleeping in our guest room big bed together and if one of them gets in trouble and I send them to their actual room the other sister is just crushed.  They argue like all kids will but we love our girls :-)  Still praying for your biopsy on Friday.

#70 of 86 Old 12-17-2010, 08:35 AM

Just got done with my 20 week scan. Everything looks great, including the little penis!!!! We are having a boy!!!!! I'm so excited! I had to share it here, as we aren't telling anyone IRL until Christmas Eve. Don't know HOW I'm going to wait that long.

Melissa Andrew dd1 dd2 dd3 and
#71 of 86 Old 12-17-2010, 09:08 AM

Congrats on the girl, Mamachef!  ETA: and on the boy, ladyelmo1! 

Your US tech sounds wonderful, Mamachef - I hope she can make it to your biopsy.

I had the anatomy scan this morning and other than a baby that refused to roll over to show us his/her spine and back of head, I guess all was fine (they never really tell you anything, I find, so I have to assume if they saw a big problem, I would know about it!).  I have to go back in a couple of weeks for another try.

And my announcement on getting in with the midwives was apparently premature.  I came home to a message to call them.  My appointment for next week has been cancelled due to staffing issues.  They hope to be able to take new patients in next month.  I would expect I would be terribly upset, but I am pretty much unable to be surprised by anything at this point.  This is precisely why I didn't cancel my doctor appointment for next week - I was waiting until I'd actually been seen by a midwife before I bothered.  What a letdown, and way to put a damper on my ultrasound day and the start of the weekend. :(

#72 of 86 Old 12-17-2010, 09:32 AM

Congratulations on your little boy!! I think we are pretty evenly boys/girls on those that have found out.  I wish I had boy vibes but so far I've only had girl dreams.  I have two wonderful girls already and am fine with another girl- love them- but "frogs and snails and puppy dog tails" would be nice too :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyelmo1 View Post

We are having a boy!!!  
#73 of 86 Old 12-17-2010, 10:36 AM

ladyelmo1, congrats on the boy!!!

MamaChef, congrats on the girl!!!!

I scheduled my anatomy scan for Jan 6 (if I am not in Jury Duty.)

I also got flack for my weight. I gained 8 lbs this month and 22 total so far. I had a PA I'd never seen and she seems concerned about it but the NP I usually see doesn't really care- I told her I gain a lot. I am trying to be more active it's just hard in the cold.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#74 of 86 Old 12-17-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
I also got flack for my weight. I gained 8 lbs this month and 22 total so far. I had a PA I'd never seen and she seems concerned about it but the NP I usually see doesn't really care- I told her I gain a lot. I am trying to be more active it's just hard in the cold.

I am worried about this for my appointment next week and am working up the nerve to just say no to weighing - were I going to the midwife appointment I was supposed to have, I wouldn't be weighed, so I am especially bitter about it :P  I was weighed today at the ultrasound (go figure, they made me fill out a form to collect all the same data they already have on file on me - I am being seen one flight of stairs up from where I had the ultrasound! sigh) and according to that scale, I gained like 8 pounds in 3 weeks?  I'm sorry, but I do not see how that is even possible.  They have me up almost 30 pounds since pre-preg.  I am still wearing my wedding rings, my pre-pregnancy bras, and some of my pre-preg t-shirts and sweaters and jackets.  I even wore a pair of pants from last Christmas to Dh's company party last weekend - just the waist doesn't do up but I got away with them with a bella band.  So how and why (and WHERE) am I supposedly so much bigger?  I don't trust the scale worth a darn anymore.

#75 of 86 Old 12-17-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepetals View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post

I am worried about this for my appointment next week and am working up the nerve to just say no to weighing - were I going to the midwife appointment I was supposed to have, I wouldn't be weighed, so I am especially bitter about it :P  I was weighed today at the ultrasound (go figure, they made me fill out a form to collect all the same data they already have on file on me - I am being seen one flight of stairs up from where I had the ultrasound! sigh) and according to that scale, I gained like 8 pounds in 3 weeks?  I'm sorry, but I do not see how that is even possible.  They have me up almost 30 pounds since pre-preg.  I am still wearing my wedding rings, my pre-pregnancy bras, and some of my pre-preg t-shirts and sweaters and jackets.  I even wore a pair of pants from last Christmas to Dh's company party last weekend - just the waist doesn't do up but I got away with them with a bella band.  So how and why (and WHERE) am I supposedly so much bigger?  I don't trust the scale worth a darn anymore.

I hear ya! My profile pic is regular clothes (not maternity). The jeans are size 2 in fact, they're just held up with that belly band. I threw up 2x a day for 15 weeks so I don't see why I have gained so much. I'm not worried about it but still....

#76 of 86 Old 12-17-2010, 02:53 PM

I hear ya! My profile pic is regular clothes (not maternity). The jeans are size 2 in fact, they're just held up with that belly band. I threw up 2x a day for 15 weeks so I don't see why I have gained so much. I'm not worried about it but still....

Oh, I totally wouldn't be worried about it if I were you, either...you are teeny weeny!  I, on the other hand, got the "you should gain 15 pound the entire pregnancy" speech from the nurse at my intake appointment. :P  So I am already almost double that (supposedly?) and only halfway through the pregnancy.  Sigh.  The good news is I will lose 35 pounds within a week of birth, if I hold true to past patterns.

#77 of 86 Old 12-17-2010, 03:01 PM

I finally started to feel the baby move last night. I've been feeling it move all day, doing somersaults and whatnot. We even have a little 'stop pushing on your uterus or I'll kick you' game going on. This is pretty much the coolest thing ever. :)

#78 of 86 Old 12-17-2010, 04:32 PM

awww reelgeek, your little "game" made me smile!!

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#79 of 86 Old 12-17-2010, 07:04 PM

MamaChef... thinking about you and hoping and praying that your silence is good news.

We had our anatomy scan today and it went beautifully.  I'm still pulling for a VBAC, but the perinatologist and my OB are only slightly positive, but will be more positive if I can go into labor on my own - and prior to my waters rupturing.

We had them put the gender in an envelope, and we took the envelope to dinner with us at our favorite sushi joint.  We gave it to our waitress and instructed her to bring us red bean ice cream for dessert if it was a girl and green tea ice cream for dessert if it was a boy.  I was beyond nervous during dinner and wanted to continue ordering dishes to delay the surprise.  I was so overwhelmed when she brought the dessert that I immediately broke into tears (I knew I would... I'm a sap!)  So.. tomorrow, I'm hitting JoAnn for surprise gender-reveal Christmas ornament supplies for the family.. I need to make four in total, but just three prior to Christmas (I want one for us, but it's fine if I finish it after Christmas day.)  Once our family knows our surprise, we'll announce on here and to our other friends!

Happy weekend to everybody!

#80 of 86 Old 12-17-2010, 08:41 PM

I just powered through an essay, have another one almost completely done and am working on essay three of four. The fourth I will admit I haven't even read the article it's supposed to be on. All of these are minimum 1,000 pages. *twitch*

On a happier note, I have rediscovered one of my favorite protein-rich snacks. Warm a corn tortilla in a pan, and after you flip it over apply about a tablespoon or two of nut butter of your choice (I like almond). After the nut butter has heated, remove the tortilla from the pan and allow to cool slightly, then roll up like a taquito. NARM.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#81 of 86 Old 12-18-2010, 08:24 PM

Karen, that's the exact spacing on DD and the new babe so your post made me even more excited :)  I know DD is going to love having a sister.

bluepetals, I had that happen with the weight thing.  Some scales are just completely off.  Do you have a scale at home?  I went for my annual and it said I weighed 12 lbs more then my home scale did.  Had another appt with another doc a couple days later and it matched my scale.

It totally sucks that your midwife appt was put on hold again.  

I had a similar experience with the anatomy scan this time, she couldnt get the pics of the spine she wanted until I turned on my side and then baby cooperated.  Did they try moving you around?  If not, then suggest it to them next time if there is some problem.  I also drank some oj right before the scan because I knew it was scheduled during baby's sleep time of day.

reelgeek, <3
So excited for you that you are feeling baby.  It's my absolute favorite part about being pregnant.  I love the bumps and kicks and actually really missed them once DD was born.

Crystalyn, why are they only slightly positive?  It just seems unduly pessimistic.

AFM,
Biopsy went really well.  They let hubby come back with me because the U/S tech couldnt be with me and she asked that they let him come back :)  It was even better.  The biopsy didnt hurt at all!  It's been a little sore today but not bad at all.  I did decide to not get the marker placed and was glad the biopsy went so well just incase it had to be redone at some future point.  The radiologist I got for the biopsy was awesome and said that if she was a betting woman she would put all her money on it being benign.  That felt so good to hear!  And she explained alot of things to me about the mass and what the markers were for malignancy.  She said they needed to biopsy it because fibroadenomas and Phyllodes tumors look very similar on US and those could be malignant.. but they could also take decades to turn malignant.  she did not think it was dcis or some weird other cancer presentation.  So, now I feel so much better knowing that hopefully my worst case scenario, still isnt as bad as it is for so many women.  Im very very thankful today.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers.  I know they helped bring me peace :)

#82 of 86 Old 12-19-2010, 06:14 AM

Yay, Mamachef!  When will you get the final word?  Still praying for you!

I joined the world of the living yesterday after that stomach virus keeping me down for 4 days.  Still feel sick, even today, but better, and was able to do a few things.  Yesterday, I drove an hour to my annual eye exam and found out that my doctor had passed away last month.  Sad, he was my childhood optometrist and a very nice guy.  His associate saw me, but I'll change offices next year.  The drive isn't worth it for this new doctor.  It makes me sad to go there anyway because it's in the town I grew up in and my mother passed away last year.  I've only been back half a dozen times since then and it always makes me cry--especially now that I'm carrying a baby that she'll never meet.  My sister and Dad still live in that town, but they always drive to visit us. So it's not like I have a reason to go there.  The nice thing about going there yesterday was that I saw my sister's new apartment and had lunch with her at a place I'e been craving--that is only there.  Funny, my Dad was at my house while I was there.  He comes almost every week to see the kids.  Nice.  He's a better Grandpa than he was a father.

I made 10 dozen chocolate chip cookies and 6 dozen chocolate covered cherry cookies yesterday.  Today I have to make 6 dozen mint chocolate chip cookies and 6 dozen or so turtle pretzels.  Most of these are for work and of course I'll save some for our Christmas celebration.  The kids have been eagerly "helping" me with these.  It's been nice.  We turn on Christmas music and enjoy each other. 

I also need to start wrapping presents today!  I hate that part.  And we're not done shopping. 

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#83 of 86 Old 12-19-2010, 06:35 AM

MamaChef= Well, it looks like things are looking up. You are in my thoughts.

I am doing well. Waves of nausea still come but they're not bad.  I realllllly like to eat these days. I had icecream, a HoHo, and a piece of pizza this morning for breakfast. Just making up for lost time I think!

#84 of 86 Old 12-20-2010, 12:12 PM

Mamachef, that is great to hear!  Hope you get the definitive all-clear soon for complete relief.  Phew!

ETA:  Oh and I am going to use that juice tip, thanks!  They didn't try moving me around this time, but they have in the past...so I will suggest it next time.  And I weighed myself at home in the morning (which is the weight I usually take, so my at-appointment weights are going to be higher just because of clothing and a day's worth of fluid and food intake!) and I was only up 20 pounds as opposed to almost 30!  That felt darn good (even though 20 isn't great, it's better than 30, LOL!).

I am writing this in this thread even though the chat has moved, that is probably a bad, eh?  So I will stop now :P

#85 of 86 Old 12-22-2010, 09:25 AM

Mamachef - congrats on the good news and I'm so glad your hubby could be there for you.  I'll have to check this week's thread to see if there are any updates.

Basically - for me and my VBAC -- they are only mildly positive because of my first birth experience.  My doctor is 100% behind it if my body can go into labor on its own within hours of my waters breaking.  Last time, my waters broke and I went back to bed and sleep for 6 hours with no contractions.  It took Pitocin to start them and I never progressed beyond 2 cm.  Because of my recent history with hospitalization and IV antibiotics due to major illness (my body was going into sepsis and infection), they wouldn't let me go beyond 24 hours and did a c-section.  Probably good, because the last time I was hospitalized with colon illness was for one week,  2 weeks before she was born, and I had only been off of the oral antibiotics for about three days before she decided to make her appearance.  My white count was in the normal range, but still on the high end...  Hopefully I can pull this pregnancy off without any infection or emergency surgery :-)  So far, so good, but I didn't get sick with Harper until I was in my sixth month -- and then, I had emergency surgery that saved both of our lives... scary, scary times. 

#86 of 86 Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 AM

Crystalyn,

Let's talk about herbs in the new thread.. dont let me forget.. will post more later.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page