Contraction after peeing or getting up quickly? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know it sounds weird, but does anyone else get a little contraction after either peeing or standing up? It happens to me every now and then. I know I'm not dehydrated and it doesn't last very long, but I don't remember it happening with dd.

#2 of 14 Old 12-19-2010, 12:50 PM

I get a sharp painful tightening that I thought was round ligament pain if I stand up too fast (especially from a squat) and a more dull pain after urinating.  This is my first so I guess it could be a contraction & I just don't know it.

Blissful wife & momma, so in love w/DD 5.2.2011 & DS 10.31.13 homebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif 
#3 of 14 Old 12-19-2010, 01:39 PM

Sounds like a braxton hicks contraction.  I get them constantly during pregnancy, both more when I exert myself.  I ran up the stairs the other day and had one.  Never had them when using the bathroom though.

#4 of 14 Old 12-19-2010, 09:19 PM

With a braxton hicks, you can feel your fundus on yourself and it will feel rock-hard. I am 16 weeks and the fundus is just below my belly button (it feels kind of like a round shelf). One of the BH conveniently happened to me during one of my prenatal visits, I asked my MW if it was ok or if the blood flow still gets to the baby (I am an RN, I should know better) and she reassured me. Round ligament pain is more on one side or the other, and I think it kind of feels like a cramping sensation (like, if you're a runner, how you get sometimes). I freaked out early on in the pregnancy (like 12 weeks) thinking the ligament pain was an ectopic, then I was like, "sister, you're 12 weeks, if it was an ectopic it would have burst by now."

Aw, the joys of first time motherhood!

treehugger.gifIn love with dh and mama to dd, born at home 6/3/2011 stillheart.gif

#5 of 14 Old 12-20-2010, 09:39 AM

Yep, especially if I really had to go pee. lol.gif

Not always for standing up but maybe sometimes, I don't pay really close attention as it's the third baby and not terribly interesting anymore. smile.gif

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#6 of 14 Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM

happened to me all the time after peeing last pregnancy. Not so much this time, but yeah. I had them constantly for lots of reasons, peeing, getting up too fast, orgasm, working too much..

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#7 of 14 Old 12-20-2010, 02:02 PM

I've been getting BH contrax since 14 weeks or so this time around...especially when I have to go to the bathroom;) I can always count on one when I'm waking up in the morning and get several throughout the day.  My MW said it is totally normal...

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

#8 of 14 Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

happened to me all the time after peeing last pregnancy. Not so much this time, but yeah. I had them constantly for lots of reasons, peeing, getting up too fast, orgasm, working too much..

oooh I forgot to mention, the time that I had BH before peeing the most was right before I was diagnosed with a UTI, not sure if that was a symptom or just a coincidence.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#9 of 14 Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 PM

yes! happens to me a lot after peeing. i think i am finally starting to realize what a BH is too. with DS i didn't think i ever had them, but now i think i did and have been with this one, but never realized. I also get them after working out occasionally. very mild though and nothing that lasts more than several seconds.

#10 of 14 Old 02-09-2011, 05:55 PM

i did a search for braxton hicks and found this thread...  i am mostly reassured by what I am reading. buuuut... wonder where exactly you all have felt the sensations?  I didn't really see that indicated except maybe one person.  I am feeling it at top of abdoman area -- feels like tightening at top of belly.  is this what others are feeling?  The other thing I don't like is that it can last for quite some time.  it's not like just 5 minutes and then it's over -- more like a dull sensation that lasts maybe for a couple hours/??  and is relatively uncomfortable. I guess like every single other thing -- rarely are any two people's experiences the same!  I am just hoping that's what this feeling is. 

Expecting 1st 5/25/11 after topsy turvy two years of trying. Married to best guy ever. Always <3 .
#11 of 14 Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 PM

I think it's pretty uncommon for BH to last more than a few minutes, so maybe it's something else? Could it be that the baby has moved to a different position that causes you to feel more pressure? I'd ask your doc/MW just out of curiosity, but I doubt it's anything to be concerned about.

#12 of 14 Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 PM

I've started getting lots of BH. My belly gets tight and hard, and it's the only time I can feel the top of my uterus. Sometimes, my belly takes on a weird shape because of the baby, too. They are not painful whatsoever, just odd feeling. Even though this is my first, I've been having them for quite some time. Only in the past week or two, though, has it become a multiple-times-a-day thing. Before, I could have one and go days without another. Now, I'm getting them maybe 5-15 times a day, but pretty spread out. They last maybe 10-30 seconds. 

I was kind of worried at first, but I don't think I am anymore, although I will mention it next time I go in. I can't seem to do anything to make them better, but I can make them worse. For instance, I can have them standing, sitting, lying down, if I'm drinking a lot, whatever. I can't make them go away. But if I'm stressed out or doing something strenuous, I can cause myself to have more. It also seems I have more when the baby is really active, but I can't control that. 

And yes, I do get them when I have to pee. Especially if I have to go all of a sudden and stand up really quickly. I've started getting them when I get up for my mid-night pee, too. 

Like I said, I'm not worried, but someone please tell me if this sounds abnormal! shy.gif

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#13 of 14 Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Anne - yes absolutely to the stress, activity and baby movement. I have not noticed it related to peeing. But the first couple days I noticed the BH, i was definitely on a different routine and on my feet constantly and there was also some different kinds of stress going on too. My midwife confirmed all of these triggers. I am reassured as now that those "stressful" few days are passed, the continual sort of sensation has subsided and whenever  I feel it, not only is it less strong but much shorter.  so I'm sure all is well for all of us!  I feel them also frequently when i get in the car to drive, so poor posture seems to also trigger them. The best way i noticed to help them subside was to take a hot shower or lay down...  but it's all normal!

Expecting 1st 5/25/11 after topsy turvy two years of trying. Married to best guy ever. Always <3 .
#14 of 14 Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 PM

yeahthat.gif  Everything you both said triggers them for me too. And it was the same with my last two... any time I'm having a rough day mentally for whatever reason, I notice them more frequently. Just laying down on my left side and making sure I'm hydrated seems to help if they get to the point where I start to worry, but I don't know how much of that is because I *expect* that to help vs it actually making a difference, particularly when I know I'm well hydrated. :)

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page