ugh - the heartburn! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 01-08-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

it's started already.  i had it so bad with dd (but not this soon).  kept me up much of the night.

i tend to avoid medications (even those that are "safe during pregnancy").  anyone have any ideas on how to ease the discomfort (or help prevent it). 

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#2 of 28 Old 01-09-2011, 02:08 AM

Chew fresh fennel. Also, papaya enzyme! I lived on that stuff through my last pregnancy.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#3 of 28 Old 01-09-2011, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't know if you consider calcium carbonate a medication or not, but it really helps me. That, and sleeping sitting up.

Also, I have noticed that if your only liquid intake is water rather than tea/soda/juice, there is a great reduction of heartburn.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#4 of 28 Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 AM

I get killer heartburn.  When it's just "normal", chewing papya enzymes helps.  When it's killer, believe it or not, milk or ice cream helps at least temporarily. 

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#5 of 28 Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 AM

#6 of 28 Old 01-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Agreed that too much calcium is not a good thing, but I think Tums are a fantastic way to ensure you get the right amount of calcium during pregnancy, which is vital, plus getting rid of some heart burn. If you're taking more than 2000mg a day though, it would be wise to find another way to combat the heartburn in conjunction with the calcium.

Originally Posted by MommyKrista View Post

I've had really terrible heartburn with all 3 pregnancies. With my 1st son I was very mainstream and I didn't even realize I had other options (besides prescriptions) so I took Tums for it. When DS was born (one day after due date so not post term or anything) my placenta was very calcified, which I guess can be a side effect of taking Tums/calcium carbonate I later learned so I too avoid that now.

#7 of 28 Old 01-09-2011, 04:53 PM

I got through my other two pregnancies with papaya enzymes and other natural methods (almonds, etc), but it has been KILLER this time and I am popping tums like crazy. Since I got pregnant through IVF I had to take progesterone for the first 10 weeks, so I had heartburn from day one.  I know I can take one of the OTC products (prilosec? can't remember) but I am SO wary of taking anything like that while pregnant, even though I know it is technically "safe." I have already had to take way more meds so far than I am comfortable with, and I would hate to rely on a daily med for the rest of my pregnancy. 

I always knew it wasn't good to take too much calcium (esp carbonate), but I never heard that about the calcified placenta. YIKES. 

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#8 of 28 Old 01-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademomma View Post

I always knew it wasn't good to take too much calcium (esp carbonate), but I never heard that about the calcified placenta. YIKES. 

Me neither, yikes! I have taken Tums throughout both my other pregnancies (and this one as well, but I'm not finding I have indigestion nearly as often, thank goodness!).  I have always stuck to at or below the recommended daily max for pregnant women that's on the bottle.  Never had a problem with placentas, both looked lovely as far as I know.

#9 of 28 Old 01-09-2011, 07:00 PM

#10 of 28 Old 01-10-2011, 04:56 AM

Maalox is better to take than Tums, to be honest. :) Tums overall is not that great to pop. I did it through my first pregnancy too before I started reading up on it an realized it wasn't as harmless as I thought it was! Particularly in the amounts I was mowing down!

If you suffer with GERD, pyloric stenosis or other problems that cause agonizing heartburn, try swallowing a tablespoon of vinegar (white, not ACV). It burns like hell and tastes worse but I swear to you it works better than anything else.

When all else fails I take a zantac.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#11 of 28 Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 AM

thanks for this thread... i've been suffering through but did pick up some tums this weekend.

I'll try to be judicious with them.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#12 of 28 Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 AM

I don't know if I would ever recommend taking aluminum over calcium.

#13 of 28 Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the tips mamas!  i knew i could count on you. smile.gif

i tried tums with dd and it didn't even touch the heartburn.  don't think i'll bother this time (would probably need more than would be safe).

littleteapot - thanks for all the suggestions.  i may try the fennel, but i was reading the possible side effects of papaya enzyme (...severe drowsiness, slow heartbeat, nausea or vomiting, severe abdominal pain, stomach cramping and the inability to move.  some people may also experience allergic reactions such as severe dizziness, itching or swelling, the development or rashes, or trouble breathing...) and it freaked me out a bit.  i do have a tendency toward reflux, so i may try the vinegar (although i was reading the thread that MommyKrista shared and that one recommended acv.  you say white vinegar is better?

geekgolightly - i've been drinking just water (with the exception of a glass of orange juice yesterday -- man, did i suffer for that) and have been feeling better.

jr'smom - i tried milk/ice cream with dd (thinking it sounded like something that would soothe me) and it probably caused the worse heartburn i had. greensad.gif

MommyKrista - thanks for the slippery elm bark recommendation.  i think i'll try it (didn't find any scary possible side effects for that one).  also, thanks for the link to the previous thread (not sure how i missed that one).

homemademomma - never heard of almonds as a remedy, but i will definitely try it (LOVE almonds).  ate a few handfuls before bed last night (probably way more than i needed), but i had a very restful, pain-free night.

thanks again!

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#14 of 28 Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post

littleteapot - thanks for all the suggestions.  i may try the fennel, but i was reading the possible side effects of papaya enzyme (...severe drowsiness, slow heartbeat, nausea or vomiting, severe abdominal pain, stomach cramping and the inability to move.  some people may also experience allergic reactions such as severe dizziness, itching or swelling, the development or rashes, or trouble breathing...) and it freaked me out a bit.  i do have a tendency toward reflux, so i may try the vinegar (although i was reading the thread that MommyKrista shared and that one recommended acv.  you say white vinegar is better?

Wait, what? Enzymes. From Papayas. Cause... what?

I get the allergies part, but that's not limited to papayas and is kind of dumb to list in the side effects imho (not you, Samstress, if medicinal sites are listing those as common side effects that's kind of dumb considering that those are standard allergic reactions for anyone who has an allergy to ANYTHING).The rest of it - WHAT?!

#15 of 28 Old 01-11-2011, 12:05 PM

For some reason water is the worst culprit for me.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#16 of 28 Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post

Wait, what? Enzymes. From Papayas. Cause... what?

I get the allergies part, but that's not limited to papayas and is kind of dumb to list in the side effects imho (not you, Samstress, if medicinal sites are listing those as common side effects that's kind of dumb considering that those are standard allergic reactions for anyone who has an allergy to ANYTHING).The rest of it - WHAT?!

yeah, the allergic reaction warning didn't really concern me (i'm sure i'm not allergic), but the other things disturbed me a bit.  enough to try one of the other suggested remedies anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post

For some reason water is the worst culprit for me.

this was true for me too with dd, but this time it actually seems to be working.  dd wanted some hot apple cider last night before bed so i made some for all of us.  oh, did i suffer.  had to sleep practically sitting up.  won't be making that mistake again.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#17 of 28 Old 01-11-2011, 03:35 PM

samstress, I am with you - dairy kills me, pregnant or not, my tummy does not tolerate it at all.  Which would have been a good thing to remember when I saw artichoke and asiago dip on sale yesterday - I had some last night and ended up sitting up awake from 4:30 to 6 am.  Ugh. I need to go back to dairy free, like, now! LOL!

My heartburn (last night aside!) is actually better this time around...normally it's my first pregnancy symptom.  I have learned through trial and error what to avoid, though.  For me, juice is okay on occasion in small amounts with other food, but tomato sauce is killer.  Bananas KILL me.  Dairy, as I mentioned.  Coffee sometimes bothers me and sometimes doesn't.  And gravy is bad, too.

I had acid issues a while back when not preggo (I get heartburn after ovulation till my period starts - as with early pregnancy, my system seems super sensitive to hormone changes!!) and she had me try apple cider vinegar in a glass of water in the morning.  Oh dear heaven, how I suffered.  I have no idea why, because everyone swears by it, but I was in agony from drinking that.  We tried lemon in water as well, same thing - perhaps later in the day wouldn't have bothered me so much, I dunno.

I do find almonds work really well for mild to moderate acid indigestion.  If it's killer, they just don't cut it for me.  And drinking loads of water seems to help me...if I take a Tum, I drink a big glass of water with it and the two together seem to really help.  Better not to lie down right afterward, though...let it settle first.  I find if I lie down with an acid tummy, the door becomes wide open for reflux in the middle of the night (i.e. last night!).  Blech.

#18 of 28 Old 01-11-2011, 04:03 PM

I am having horrendous heartburn. Milk helps, or water, and sometimes I just take a pepcid, which the midwife said was cool and is really the only thing that cuts it. Tums has gluten in it, so that's right out for me. 

As for the papaya, I worked on a papaya farm as a kid and if it's not organic, don't go near it. I can't even deal with organic papaya products. Papaya is a soft and delicious fruit that grows in the tropics next to tons of bugs and the pesticides they have to use just to get a decent crop..... it's really scary. I don't want to bum anybody out who's having a great result with it, it's just a word of warning.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#19 of 28 Old 01-12-2011, 07:18 AM

I had heartburn even before pregnancy and was on prescription strength zantac twice daily up until I started TTC when I weaned myself off it.... when the heartburn gets really bad the muscles in my mid back spasm as well - *fun times*. I've tried all the remedies mentioned above with varying (mostly limited!) success, but the one I use most which I haven't seen mentioned yet is tissue salt #9: Natrum phosphoricum (Sodium phosphate)

"This cell salt's primary role in the body is to decompose lactic acids. Thus its remedy, Nat phos, is very beneficial to acid-related conditions including
the stiff muscles after exercise or shock (from lactic acid), 'sugar highs' in children, colic from an excess of milk, sugar, fruit or alcohol, sour vomiting,
indigestion, heartburn, and greenish sour diarrhea. Over the long run, acidity can lead to headaches and nervous fatigue. Nat phos' key features
of sourness, indigestion, yellow mucus and a yellow coating on the back of the tongue usually grow worse from eating bitter or fatty foods
(which they crave) and from mental exertion." 

You can learn more about tissue salts here.

I've also been finding loose leaf rooibos tea to be very soothing and helpful.  I know pregnancy is supposed to be all about the RRL, but rooibos is what my body wants so I'm listening! 

#20 of 28 Old 01-12-2011, 07:28 AM

I'm just starting with a touch of (very mild) heartburn myself... As a CNM student, these are a few of the physical things I've told my patients... now it's time to try them out myself-- separate liquid intake from eating. Drink either 30 min before a meal, or two hours after... and, try putting a 2x4 under the headboard of your bed, to elevate a bit. Neither are likely to relieve severe heartburn, but could be a nice, non-pharm help.

#21 of 28 Old 01-13-2011, 07:43 AM

Wouldn't worry too much about the additional calcium with taking TUMS. The type of calcium that's in tums isn't absorbed by the body very well, which is why (though TUMS leans on this in their advertising) most health care providers don't recommend it as a viable calcium supplement.

Papaya enzyme is great for heartburn- totally agree! Also had luck with mixing 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda into a glass of water and downing that.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#22 of 28 Old 01-16-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partaria View Post

Wouldn't worry too much about the additional calcium with taking TUMS. The type of calcium that's in tums isn't absorbed by the body very well, which is why (though TUMS leans on this in their advertising) most health care providers don't recommend it as a viable calcium supplement.

Papaya enzyme is great for heartburn- totally agree! Also had luck with mixing 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda into a glass of water and downing that.

That is exactly the reason I am concerned about calcium carbonate- your body doesn't ionize & absorb it well, so it can potentially end up forming deposits in your muscle tissue, and apparently your placenta. 

I <3 sodium bicarbonate for heartburn but I try to limit it because of the high sodium content. It works really well for me though. Papaya enzymes never did diddly for me. I am SO not a homeopathic type of person (prefer herbal remedies!) but I am going to give the natrum phosphoricum a try. 

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#23 of 28 Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 PM

So I have just discovered Earth Mama Angel Baby heartburn tea. It seems to be working. Anyone else tried this?

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#24 of 28 Old 01-18-2011, 05:33 PM

elonwy where did you find the tea?

I'm going to get the papaya enzymes tomorrow, I have terrible heartburn every night and nothing seems to help. 

#25 of 28 Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 AM

My husband bought me their pregnancy pampering kit :) You can find it on Amazon though. 

#26 of 28 Old 01-19-2011, 01:16 PM

I drink mostly water and tea with this pregnancy and that has really helped me. I have to be careful with tomato based foods sometimes. Milk will sometimes help, but lately my stomach isn't tolerating it too well. I wonder if almond milk would have the same effect that cow's milk would?

I can take tums during the day, but evening time is off limits; because I take my thyroid medication before bed and can't have calcium, iron, and other vitamins within 4 hours of taking it because it interfering with the absorption of my medicine...

I have only taken tums maybe once or twice so far.

I have heard that the vinegar trick works, although never tried it myself...

~Kristy~ *Madeline Age 6 *Baby#2 May28th
#27 of 28 Old 01-19-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdunahoo View Post

elonwy where did you find the tea?

I'm going to get the papaya enzymes tomorrow, I have terrible heartburn every night and nothing seems to help. 

oh wow I will have to find that tea!

Sometimes peppermint tea settles my stomach, I wonder what the ingredients in the heartburn tea are... Thanks for sharing...

~Kristy~ *Madeline Age 6 *Baby#2 May28th
#28 of 28 Old 01-19-2011, 01:27 PM

Yay, I found the link to the actual site.

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/pregnancy/heartburn-tea.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page