Coffee Drinkers- unite! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I always get a little twinge of guilt, but I need to have a cup of coffee in the morning. Actually, I am sitting here right now sipping on it. I know it is OK, but I still think about it!

Heather
mama to E (4 years) and J (2 years) and K (born in May)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 07:46 AM

I still drink it now and then when pregnant...lately almost every day (our son got us a little coffee maker for Christmas at a school yard sale, cutest thing EVER cause he knew our old one was broken, but I digress :P).  Usually I do decaf, but I was doing half decaf (rough guesstimate, I just took what was left in two packages and mixed together!).  Trying to avoid that now because even that bit of caffeine seems to make my feet swell.  Yesterday I was a zombie in the morning and decided ah what the heck, I would have a wee bit of caffeine and last night my left foot was puffy.  Blech!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 AM

Indulge away, I say. Keep it to less than 300mg a day, which is the level at which there may be some impact on birth weight and placental sufficiency. This handy  list of caffeine content  can help clear your conscience when you have a cup.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 AM

I have my small Cafe au Lait with a pump of peppermint in the morning. Because it's half milk, it ends up being about half a cup of coffee, but it keeps my craving satisfied and gives me a little boost so I don't drag all day long. 1st trimester I couldn't even stand the smell of coffee (Which is weird, cause I grew up next to a coffee plantation and I LOOOOVE the stuff) Now that it smells like heaven again, I figure it's fine in moderated doses.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:58 AM

I drink an occasional sweet coffee. - (mocha, cappicino, etc.) I'm all for a little energy boost here and there. I don't think there is a problem with it unless you drink a ton of it.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 01-12-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by untererde View Post

Indulge away, I say. Keep it to less than 300mg a day, which is the level at which there may be some impact on birth weight and placental sufficiency. This handy  list of caffeine content  can help clear your conscience when you have a cup.

That list is awesome! Thanks! 

Heather
Old 01-12-2011, 11:56 AM

I can not wait to get my taste for coffee back!!  I was a serious drinker before pg, at least 2 cups a day, but I've developed a horrible aversion to it.  I'll try to have a cup every week or so and it'll taste awful & burnt (to me) but DH says it's perfect.  I sure miss enjoying it.

Blissful wife & momma, so in love w/DD 5.2.2011 & DS 10.31.13 homebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif 
Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM

Oh good, I totally stay under the 300 mg limit. 300 mg is actually a substantial amount of caffeine. I make my own mochas at home, with a tablespoon of cocoa powder and 2 shots of espresso(believe it or not, espresso has less caffeine than starbucks drip coffee. In fact a grande latte has less than half the caffeine of a grande drip coffee. So yeah, I drink about 200 mg of caffeine a day. occasionally I'll have another shot in the afternoon, but even then, it still puts me under the 300 mark. That seems like a lot!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 01-12-2011, 04:42 PM

I'm here too!

It actually helped my nausea in the beginning though it is starting to give me heartburn.

I drink a cup a day and am completely comfortable with that.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the link.  I have one cup of coffee a day or then one coffee drink from somewhere.  I always figured that espresso was about the same or just a bit more than a regular coffee but was surprised to see that it actually has less caffeine.

****5****10***15****20****25****30****35 ****40
Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 PM

mmmm, coffee! I hated the smell of it in the first trimester and am now happy to be enjoying it again. My midwife recommended a little caffeine to see if it helped with my headaches. I can't say for sure if the caffeine helped rid me of my headaches but its is simply blissful to sip on a cup of cafe au lait :)

Old 01-12-2011, 07:49 PM
tzs

can i join? i try to keep it to 200 mg a day but um.....it's not coffee.......it's diet coke....

ok, don't stone me! it's bad for you, it makes you fat, it's full of chemicals.......but it's caffeine! can we still be friends???

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Old 01-13-2011, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post

can i join? i try to keep it to 200 mg a day but um.....it's not coffee.......it's diet coke....

ok, don't stone me! it's bad for you, it makes you fat, it's full of chemicals.......but it's caffeine! can we still be friends???

:lol We can be friends!

Heather
Old 01-13-2011, 06:41 AM

I still drink my coffee.

Of course, I also drink raw milk and red wine.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 AM

Yay coffee drinkers! I still drink my 1 cup a day and I think that's just fine. Before I starting seeing my MW exclusively, a nurse at my HMO got all over my case because I was drinking a cup of coffee at an appointment. I said to her the same thing my sis in law told me to say whenever anyone gives me grief about coffee-

"I know it's not the best thing to be drinking, but this is the ONLY thing that cures my hangover after a meth binge." :)

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

Old 01-13-2011, 10:36 AM

I am actually to the point where I am craving coffee lately...especially blueberry coffee..but, I am also on a sugar challenge for school and am not allowed to have any sugars (it's been one month) - so I had a cup of coffee yesterday and today and drank it with some cream and that was it.  I long to have some flavored coffee...the cap with peppermint sounds DIVINE!!!  caffix.gif

Old 01-13-2011, 03:09 PM

he he, me too..that's what my homemade mochas are made with, fresh raw unpasteurized milk :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post

I still drink my coffee.

Of course, I also drink raw milk and red wine.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 01-13-2011, 08:21 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partaria View Post

Yay coffee drinkers! I still drink my 1 cup a day and I think that's just fine. Before I starting seeing my MW exclusively, a nurse at my HMO got all over my case because I was drinking a cup of coffee at an appointment. I said to her the same thing my sis in law told me to say whenever anyone gives me grief about coffee-

"I know it's not the best thing to be drinking, but this is the ONLY thing that cures my hangover after a meth binge." :)

this is the best!!!!!!!!

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Old 01-14-2011, 03:24 AM

Over here, too. I always give it up at first, but caffeine is actually a good helper for migraine headaches, and if I can make it go away with caffiene instead of oxycodone... I'm happy!

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Me! I drink from 1/2 cup to 2 cups a day, usually on the lower end of that because it starts to bother my stomach. Baby's doing great, so my main worry is not so much health as the fear that I will be conditioning my child to be hyper and high strung...I don't know if there's any basis for that fear or not.

A lot of times I go for tea instead but sometimes I just need that coffee. A croissant does not taste right with tea!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:11 AM

I'm not a coffee drinker but I do totally have to have a nice big cup of regular black tea each morning.  I guess that is about 47 mgs of caffeine so not bad.  I did not drink it during the 1st tri as I was horribly sick and just couldn't even imagine liking tea- LOL.  Beyond that one cup, I only drink herbal and decaf black tea.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:43 AM

My Dr said go for it.  She said I would have to drink like 5 espressos a day for it to really hurt anything and that new studies have shown coffee is fine, even for those that drink 2 or 3 cups a day.  I wouldnt sit around and drink a cup every hour but I do 2 cups in the morning and maybe a pop every few days.  She says its totally fine.  Thank goodness, I was feeling so guilty before!

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 AM

I still love my coffee, but ever since we broke both the french press carafe and THEN the kids pulled the drip coffee maker pot off the counter and broke it, I only drink black tea at home. I am really loving my morning cup of chai or earl grey--gives me a little boost but no jitters. I got pretty sensitive to caffeine since I could not stand coffee OR chocolate the whole first trimester. Ironically, right before we found out we were pregnant, I had place a bulk order for some amazing coffee and chocolate--and then had to run from the room anytime the hubby brewed some.

I am glad to know some of you other mamas are doing the raw/cream milk thing. My chai would NOT be the same without a dollop of heavy raw cream and honey.

Anyone know where to order replacement glass for a French press? Or maybe a unbreakable one? I think this is the 2nd one we have broken.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:48 AM

I found all 3 of mine at goodwill or salvation army.  (french press)

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

Old 01-21-2011, 12:01 PM

I'm joining the club! I have 1-2 cups a day and don't feel bad about it at all. (I also had sushi for lunch!) I'm so happy I can stomach coffee again. I couldn't stand it for the first 4 months with the horrible pregnancy nausea I had, but now it's all good.

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
Old 01-21-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untererde View Post

You rock for posting this!  It's so great to have something to refer to.

I drink one cup of coffee every morning, and have gotten used to drinking only that so it's all good.  But with the chocolate I've been eating...  Well, there's caffeine in that too.  :)

Old 01-22-2011, 07:50 PM

I didnt want coffee at all during the first tri, but since about thanksgiving Ive been drinking coffee again.  I usually drink about 8 oz of half caf water processed coffee.  However, I just got back from vacation and developed a new addiction, Coffee Jelly Au Lait.  I really want an espresso machine now that I know espresso is less then drip caffeine wise.  Until then Ill switch back to my Medaglia D' Oro.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:36 PM

Oh my god, I crave coffee like nobody's business. If I am really having a day, I will do half coffee, half milk in a cup with some creamer and sugar. It gets rid of my craving. Yummy!

heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:55 PM

I've been craving sweet coffee more and more lately. I never feel like I get enough sleep and it's the only thing that makes me feel like I'm actually awake. Too bad I don't get a chance to have it often since I'd have to travel to the store for it. I don't usually make it at home. But, I'm tempted to get my dusty coffee maker from the basement and buy me a can. We'll see.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 03-02-2011, 07:02 PM

I drank full-strength coffee with ds, now with #2 I'm drinking half-caf.  It doesn't taste as good, but I make my coffee thick like crude oil so I'm probably getting a fair amount of caffeine in one cup.  I can't wake up without it.

Still-learning wife to long-suffering and wonderful DH and manoula to DS #1 (8/09), an angel baby (7/10), and DD #1 due May 29!

User Tag List